• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jyrz

Jyrz

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

I want to start trying my hand at game developing and I was going to download the Free version to try GMS out.
But then I saw that there's another free version with more available resources and such.
Is there a catch?
What's the difference?

#2 Jack Indie Box

Jack Indie Box

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1558 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

the catch is it only exports full versions of your game to Andoird, but only one specific kind of hardware chip in the device Mips (there are many kinds of hardware). If you have an android you can check online if its Mips and then it might be a good choice as a starting point to develop a mobile game, but you wont be able to release to other chips or other devices like iphones or pc(except testing it think) without buying the normal versions and exports

#3 Jyrz

Jyrz

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:25 AM

the catch is it only exports full versions of your game to Andoird, but only one specific kind of hardware chip in the device Mips (there are many kinds of hardware). If you have an android you can check online if its Mips and then it might be a good choice as a starting point to develop a mobile game, but you wont be able to release to other chips or other devices like iphones or pc(except testing it think) without buying the normal versions and exports

So it still allows exporting to PC even if it's just a test?
Cause that's really all I would need.
If I got into it enough and was able to see that I could continue making a game successfully,
Then I would invest in the full Professional Studio to actually release the games.

#4 Jack Indie Box

Jack Indie Box

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1558 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

pretty sure i read that, but its free so why not download and try it to see if you can test on pc(would be alot harder to develop without that feature:P)

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7483 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Studio Comparison Chart (scroll down)

Do you actually need the Android-MIPS export? (You haven't said so either way.) If not, why not just get the regular Studio Free version?

That way, you can create stand-alone PC games. That makes a lot more sense for most users.

Edited by chance, 25 February 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#6 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1252 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

Studio Comparison Chart (scroll down)

Do you actually need the Android-MIPS export? (You haven't said so either way.) If not, why not just get the regular Studio Free version?

That way, you can create stand-alone PC games. That makes a lot more sense for most users.

I think the MIPS edition removes the resource limitations at the cost of stand-alone PC exports. So it lets you try out all of the features before buying.

#7 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8525 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

According to my (outdated) school book in Computer Hardware Engineering, the MIPS architecture is the largest architecture for embedded systems (toasters, elevators, etc), and it's a Reduced Instruction Set CPU architecture which means that it's simpler to code Assembly code for it than to other architectures.

And with Game Maker porting to it, it suddenly got even easier, since now you don't need to know Assembly at all! :P

#8 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7483 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

According to my (outdated) school book in Computer Hardware Engineering, the MIPS architecture is the largest architecture for embedded systems (toasters, elevators, etc), and it's a Reduced Instruction Set CPU architecture which means that it's simpler to code Assembly code for it than to other architectures.

And with Game Maker porting to it, it suddenly got even easier, since now you don't need to know Assembly at all! :P

The average MIPS programmer never needed assembler in the first place. MIPS architecture supports high-level operating systems like Unix V, Windows NT, Windows CE, and Linux. And most recently, Android 4.1

The differences are in chip architecture, and the compilers. But to users working within the OS, these aren't very noticeable. To users, MIPS smartphones look pretty much like entry-level Intel devices.

EDIT: clarity

Edited by chance, 03 March 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#9 Recreate

Recreate

Furry

• GMC Member
  • 2986 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:37 AM

And with Game Maker porting to it, it suddenly got even easier, since now you don't need to know Assembly at all! :P/>

What do I know but, I think ARM is newer. Every single android device i've owned uses it as well as all of the iPhones. MIPS seems to be obsolete in comparison to ARM...

#10 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3857 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

And with Game Maker porting to it, it suddenly got even easier, since now you don't need to know Assembly at all! :P/>/>

What do I know but, I think ARM is newer. Every single android device i've owned uses it as well as all of the iPhones. MIPS seems to be obsolete in comparison to ARM...

For the same computing power a MIPS typically uses a lot less electric power. Also mips have a much better native support for 128 bit & 64 bit floating point calculations.

#11 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8525 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

For the same computing power a MIPS typically uses a lot less electric power.

Which could explain why they are common in applications that doesn't need much computing power to begin with.

It all makes sense. Wonderful... sporting random useless knowledge is like a drug to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users