#1 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

m0MB8mk.png
A remake of Slender: The Eight Pages by Parsec Productions in top down perspective.

Please wear headphones for a better experience.

It was originally made to test the engine and be built apon to create a much more original Slenderman game, but eventually interest was lost and was left alone for quite some time. Now it has been fixed up with a beginning and an ending.

We hope you enjoy the tiny fruits of our labour.

(Updated to v1.1.1 on 7/10/13)
Website
Steam Workshop Page
Direct Download (dropbox)

Gamejolt.com

IndieDB

File size: 19.7MB

screenshot0vw.th.png screenshot11c.th.png screenshot12fp.th.png screenshot14x.th.png

The controls are simple (and are shown at the beginning of the game):
W,A,S,D - Moves the character.
Left Button - Interacts (with notes).
Shift - Hold to sprint.
Move the mouse to aim your flashlight.

The download is a little heavy, I am trying to get that down (sorry).
I had a lot of problems with Slenderman's AI so I would love to hear your thoughts on it, I am aware of a few problems which I am working on (namely a certain noise with which you will be well acquainted with after playing). Please report any bugs or glitches (or generally anything you had a problem with) so I can fix it as soon as possible for future players.
The window size is 1280*720 and goes straight into fullscreen.

Play through by F4Gee (Contains spoilers):

Credits:
creativebunch: Programmer
shinyjiggly: Artist
Rawrity: Person
soundfxcenter.com
freesound.org
Trailer music from the wonderful Jason Shaw (audionautix.com)

Change log:

Spoiler

Edited by creativebunch, 16 November 2013 - 12:40 AM.

#gmc - It's the goddamn GMC IRC
Beat Hell Pre-Alpha v2.1.0 | Slender2d | Creeping Insanity

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel/3D artist to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#2 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 1010 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

This is a really good slender 2d it was more scary than slender 3d i completed it at end there came day and i walked and suddenly slender came next to me and world went shaking then went dark and nothing happend only that breathing voice should it be like this?
game rating 20/10

(used headphones and in dark room)

Edited by sebastiankit, 04 February 2013 - 12:16 PM.

xOVkpik.png

Custom sprite framework(GML): http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=669935

My main project ^o^ 2Volution GMC | GameJolt

#3 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

This is a really good slender 2d it was more scary than slender 3d i completed it at end there came day and i walked and suddenly slender came next to me and world went shaking then went dark and nothing happend only that breathing voice should it be like this?
game rating 20/10

(used headphones and in dark room)

Thanks for playing, and thanks for the strangely high rating (I never thought someone would enjoy it more than the original).

Yes that is how the ending should be, after it goes black it should exit the game. The ending is actually my favourite part of the game :]

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png
I am looking for a pixel/3D artist to team up with me to work on some games. Send me a message if interested.

#4 Darklight2

Darklight2

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 7 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:37 AM

It's very well made.
There were just 2 things bothering me though.
Slendy has way too many tenticles, and you see them before the jumpscare sound effect so it kinda ruins the jumpscare. Maybe the longer you look at him the more they protrude?
And the flashlight physics were also very good except for this part:
Posted Image

I still think its a great game, these are just some suggestions.
I wish you luck on getting it on Steam. :)

#5 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:36 AM

It's very well made.
There were just 2 things bothering me though.
Slendy has way too many tenticles, and you see them before the jumpscare sound effect so it kinda ruins the jumpscare. Maybe the longer you look at him the more they protrude?
And the flashlight physics were also very good except for this part:
<snip>

I still think its a great game, these are just some suggestions.
I wish you luck on getting it on Steam. :)/>/>/>

Yay, criticism!

There are a lot of things I'm not too happy about with Slendy and seeing the tentacles before seeing Slenderman was one of the first things I noticed. I will try to get the artist to design some new ones, otherwise I'll see if I can change them myself temporarily.

The flashlight was the very first thing I did when starting the game, and the way I programmed it was pretty terrible and made the cone part not match properly. However looking at your picture has given me an idea on how I could potentially fix it.

Thank you for the helpful pointers, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#6 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:35 AM

Steam users were having a massive problem with surfaces so I have updated the stand alone version too, in case this is happening for every version. Download links in the first post are updated to v1.1.0

Changes:

Set resolution to a fixed 1280x720 to temporarily fix some issues.
Lowered ending static sound.
Fixed OpenAL audio error causing slow down later in the game.
Fixed jumpy sound effects.
Fixed ending not exiting the game.
Added fallback code for surfaces being destroyed.
Added options screen when the game starts.
Added bonus mode for completing the game.

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#7 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

I quick fix to solve the issue of notes spawning in the same spot. Probably doesn't warrant a post but basically made the game pointless.

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#8 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

I downloaded and played the standalone version. The various changes and bug fixes you mentioned all seem to work fine, and the options screen is good too. I didn't see any programming flaws.

But I found the controls very difficult -- so perhaps that's a design issue to be addressed. The problem is that the character moves interminably slow without the SHIFT sprint option. But unfortunately, it's pretty hard to use while simultaneously pressing WASD to move and mouse-look to see. There's just not enough fingers, without constantly rearranging my hand position. So personally, I'd ditch the sprint option and just make the character move faster (as the default).

The keyhole viewing effect is interesting, but I don't really understand the reasoning behind the shape you chose. I'd prefer a more traditional circular viewing area -- but that's just my personal preference.

Overall it's an interesting game and I can see the attention to detail you put into it. So nice job on that. +1 It's just that the odd view port shape and the awkward controls made it less enjoyable to me.

#9 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

I've been gaming and using shift to sprint my entire life, and since my play-testers had no problems it never entered my mind that it might be a difficult thing for some people. I will definitely add another button for sprinting in an easier position and I will also consider removing sprint altogether (or at least change the speed values).

I could be wrong but I think the keyhole you're talking about is the light emitting from the torch. As it's in top down perspective, the light is meant to look as though it is being shined onto the ground, which is why it changes shape when you bring it closer to the middle of the screen where the flashlight is. I'll admit that the way I coded the flashlight at the very start makes me not want to look at it again.

Thank you for the thought out review chance! I always enjoy going back and tweaking a game just to make it slightly more enjoyable.

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#10 BattleRifle BR55

BattleRifle BR55

Let Live

• GMC Member
  • 10316 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

I didn't see any jets, but I did see stars when I knocked my head into the wall next to me after the screen started to flash. I was a little confused at first as I thought I was stuck in a small area, but then learned that the dark parts of the terrain weren't walls. The heavy breathing also sounded like you just stuck a microphone under your sister's door while she had a friend over.

I got up to four notes, and was about to get my fifth when he was standing right over it and took me down. I don't have the courage to try it again, and after watching the trailer and seeing all the tentacles, I don't think I want to.

I rate it B/5.
Jmds8UL.png

#11 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

The jets were a pre-order bonus, sorry. What kind of flashing was it, I can't tell if it's part of the game (it's not supposed to cause seizures at any rate). The breathing sounds were taken from a free sound effect website, I keep those other sounds for myself.

It tends to get tedious when the last few notes are being elusive, and when he starts camping he becomes a real troublesome guy. I guess it's back to Halo with you.

You rate it a... Oh, I see what you did there.

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png

#12 creativebunch

creativebunch

The Bunchiest

• GMC Member
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

I've added a video of a play through for the game which I really enjoyed watching. It will also let you know what to expect before downloading it. It does contain spoilers.

indiedb_88x31.png

buXyYwQ.png