Category: Arcade Shooter
File Size: 10.7MB
GM Version: GM Studio
Tested: Vista, Windows 7
Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768
Changes Screen Resolution: No
Full-screen: F10, defaults to full-screen
Download: Link 1

This is my first game with GameMaker; completed part-time (including gentle GML learning curve) in approximately 3 months; thoughtfully designed, thoroughly debugged and play-tested.

FEATURES

• affectionate nod towards old-school shooters
  • unique play mechanic
  • destructible terrain
  • custom spawning engine
  • custom hand-drawn sprites
  • emphasis on quality sound effects

DESCRIPTION

The planet of Plangoria is about to be attacked!

Plangoria's core is rich with multinite, a rare substance that produces powerful energy and is the planet's life-force.

The Zerelions from the neighboring planet of Zerel want to use the multinite for evil purposes. They intend to blow up the planet and harvest the multinite from space.

To defend the planet the Plangorians constructed a powerful orbiting cannon capable of vaporizing anything that comes within its range.

You must help the Plangorians fend off 29 days of relentless attacks. If the Zerelions are able to reach the planet's core it will explode and millions of lives will be lost.

IMAGES
game_play0_sml.png
game_play1_sml.png
game_play2_sml.png
game_play4_sml.png
TRAILER

Edited by jhanley, 21 September 2014 - 08:21 PM.

Be sure to check out my first game: Battle for Plangoria

#2 Furmo

Furmo

legend

• GMC Member
  • 99 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hey.

I really wanted to play this game, however for some reason i could not. Sorry.

Furmo.

#3 jhanley

jhanley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

@Furmo,

Could you be more specific? I just verified the download link works.

The file and inline pictures are hosted on the same server so if you can see the pictures you should be able to download the file.

Thanks,
John

#4 Furmo

Furmo

legend

• GMC Member
  • 99 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

@Furmo,

Could you be more specific? I just verified the download link works.

The file and inline pictures are hosted on the same server so if you can see the pictures you should be able to download the file.

Thanks,
John

Oops, um i think it is just a fault on my half, for some reason my computer thinks that is is not safe and deletes it. :S

Furmo.

#5 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Nice game! I've just downloaded and played it for the few minutes, but I'll be playing more. It's lots of fun.

The intro music and graphical style are great. The theremin sound and the font choice give it that 50's sci-fi look -- although the game itself is not retro. The graphics and special effects seem quite modern. The orbiting battleship that the player controls is very well drawn, and the explosion effects look very clean and professional.

The gameplay is good, albeit a bit repetitive after a while. But the enemy ships change occasionally and have slightly different characteristics. So that adds some variety. And the game definitely encourages a strategy -- not just mindless shooting (as described by the accompanying readme.txt file).

The only thing that confuses me a bit, is figuring out the details of when the ship is ready to fire (green mode). Does that come automatically, or only when I start pressing the mouse button? Also, why don't I see the planet itself -- like the video shows? I just see an occasional expanding ring in the center, but no planet.

Other than those details, the game seems well made and has a nice visual appeal. It's a fairly standard shooter, but with a strategic element than adds some fun. Nice job on this. :thumbsup: +1

#6 jhanley

jhanley

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

@chance,

Thanks very much for your feedback and comments... really appreciated!

This might sound like spin, but the game is designed to be repetitive. My desire is for the player to be able to complete the game (i.e. survive 29 days) after 6-8 attempts by loosely memorizing the wave patterns. That said, the different flight paths and bosses hopefully keep the player's interest engaged.

I just see an occasional expanding ring in the center, but no planet.

You just blew my mind with this statement. There's no point in playing the game without the presence of the planet! This is clearly a bug, but I have no idea how to reproduce it. Please provide me with a little more information starting with your system specs.

As for the weapon. It can fire once per second. If you continually hold down the mouse button (recommended), the state will always show yellow because it's constantly in a state of cool-down. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

John