1434 replies to this topic

#1401 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Lets hope nocturne or any other mod takes in account all these issues and builds up these jams into something GREAT!

This isn't the moderators' job -- it's OUR job. The success (or failure) of the Jams lies mostly with the members.

We're the ones who make the games, review the games, and vote. If the Jams fail it's OUR fault.

It's mainly the voting... there should be like a program.. It would definetly save time!

You can blame the lack of a "voting program" if you want. But I think that's insincere. The truth is, it's the playing/reviewing part that takes the time. Not the voting.

#1402 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

This isn't the moderators' job -- it's OUR job. The success (or failure) of the Jams lies mostly with the members.

We're the ones who make the games, review the games, and vote. If the Jams fail it's OUR fault.

Only to some extent, you don't get much done without authority. If, e.g., we decided to voluntarily do block voting so every game is gauranteed a few reviews, it would be difficult without an official block list. Otherwise, people will inevitably screw it up and each want their own method and their own style, etc. You know it'd happen ;)
GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler

#1403 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Greep, changing the rules of the Jam has nothing to do with any of the current conversations and has nothing to do with what chance said.
It would be like arguing that we (as a community) cannot pick the theme of the Jam....because it's the Jam winner's job.. Yeah, so?

#1404 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'm confused, isn't that exactly what I'm saying? E.g., obviously we can't let the theme be chosen by the community, it's the authority of the people of the jam to decide or choose someone to.
Spoiler

#1405 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm saying that it's not important enough to mention as it's not what chance was talking about..? Plus it's obvious to boot.

Edited by makerofthegames, 20 February 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#1406 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

>.< I'll just let chance respond, not getting into an argument over something small like this.
Spoiler

#1407 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

>.< I'll just let chance respond, not getting into an argument over something small like this.

You tangent'd off the conversation with something completely random, and now I'm the one wasting time..

#1408 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Only to some extent, you don't get much done without authority. <snip>

That's true. But like MOTG said, that part goes without saying. And besides, that's not the problem we face right now.

The problem is that we all want feedback.... and we all want our game to be played / rated. But too few of us are willing to spend time rating other people's games. And with less than 30 voters, the ranking (beyond the top 3-5) don't mean very much.

There's really only one solution to that problem -- and it doesn't come from the moderators.

#1409 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Okay, this is confusing.
There isn't actually anyone in 32nd place to compete in the essay write-off against the guy in 21st place (Teamsteeve).

What should I do in this case? Have all the 21st and 22nd placers (please no... @ _@) send in stuff? Or does Teamsteeve get it by default? (even though I've worked with him in a previous jam and it probably won't even feel like enough of a prize and this is awkward and help me guys)

Oh cool, I win by default! :P/>
But not having to write why I need and deserve to win this awesome prize doesn't seem like the spirit of competition you were aiming for.

If I were you I would offer the chance to all 22nd placers, but I'm not you and if you don't want that many entrants to smother you with text, I think the best way for you to handle it is give the chance to whoever made the game that should have come 32nd in your eyes. :wink:/>

Hey SJ, have you made a decision on what you're going to do yet? I'm looking forward to trying to out-essay somebody and prove that I'm the worthiest to deserve your prize! :medieval:
I probably won't be, but I'll let you decide. :thumbsup: I already know what graphic I'd like if I were to have the honour bestowed upon me.

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#1410 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

The problem is that we all want feedback.... and we all want our game to be played / rated. But too few of us are willing to spend time rating other people's games. And with less than 30 voters, the ranking (beyond the top 3-5) don't mean very much.

There's really only one solution to that problem -- and it doesn't come from the moderators.

Wow, are we still discussing this?

I already posted my thoughts, but it was near the bottom of a page and might have been missed. I think it's less about unwillingness to rate games, and more about just not having the time to thoroughly play and review 80 games in 16 days. I didn't get through all the games for that very reason, and a couple others didn't either. I don't know about everyone else, but I wouldn't mind waiting for an extra week (or using chance's randomized list idea, so the amount of games to play seems less intimidating and people will actually start playing) if it meant more people could finish all the games.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#1411 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

I already posted my thoughts, but it was near the bottom of a page and might have been missed. I think it's less about unwillingness to rate games, and more about just not having the time to thoroughly play and review 80 games in 16 days. I didn't get through all the games for that very reason, and a couple others didn't either. I don't know about everyone else, but I wouldn't mind waiting for an extra week (or using chance's randomized list idea, so the amount of games to play seems less intimidating and people will actually start playing) if it meant more people could finish all the games.

I don't think it was missed, it's just that there are lots of opinions flying around here.
I also like the idea of a longer time to vote (which I think I mentioned at some point too) and nobody has really given me any feedback about the specifics of the randomiser that I've talked about, so I think I'll just make it my way and see how it goes.

Anyway, a new topic to discuss all this is coming soon and I think everybody knows how everybody else is feeling about the whole situation at the moment so we'll all have a chance to voice our opinions there (again) too.

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#1412 Saijee

Saijee

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2443 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Next Theme: Origins
Next Handicap: The player should unlock abilities as the game progresses.

This is a prediction. I'm totally not trying to influence the actual people making these decisions by presenting them with cool ideas or throwing out ideas that I think they should rule out.

#1413 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'm totally not trying to influence the actual people making these decisions by presenting them with cool ideas or throwing out ideas that I think they should rule out.

The bad thing with internet: it's impossible to tell sarcasms from serious statements.

On to Guesstown!

Next Theme:
Vacations
Next Handicap: Game should have at least one boss battle

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#1414 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Stop it everyone! If you do come up with a good theme or handicap and then say what it is, nobody can use it because it's too obvious. Especially obvious if you ever get the chance to choose one for the jam yourself.

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#1415 Gorkiller

Gorkiller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 148 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

ok guys, It's up to US! So next jam.. I'm going to get a cup of tea, but I don't guarantee I will play through your whole game.. since some games don't make sense, E.G. A tale of two, Toothpaste man, Star rock bird and so on..

GMCJam10_Banner_zpseec1ac8f.png

#1416 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Stop it everyone! If you do come up with a good theme or handicap and then say what it is, nobody can use it because it's too obvious. Especially obvious if you ever get the chance to choose one for the jam yourself.

You think I'm stupid enough to give away the theme I'd really select if I got the chance? :whistle:

It is _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.
And the handicap would be _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Spoiler

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#1417 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Yes, let's guess this theme before it's decided :D Get that 3 month headtstart :3
Spoiler

#1418 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yes, let's guess this theme before it's decided :D Get that 3 month headtstart :3

Ssh, keep quiet! Don't make them suspect our secret plan! :ninja:

Spoiler

#1419 Yal

Yal

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

What, you mean this topic isn't good enough for you? <_<

Spoiler

#1420 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

What, you mean this topic isn't good enough for you? <_</>

I think he's talking about the discussion topic Nocturne mentioned he was going to start for discussing the rules for the next jam.

#1421 supmaster004

supmaster004

Plot twister

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

You don't know the true power of Toothpaste man!!!!!!! Mwuahahahaa!!!!

I do. Toothpaste man has the power to vote for himself :P
You like what I do? Like my Facebook page :D

#1422 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

I think he's talking about the discussion topic Nocturne mentioned he was going to start for discussing the rules for the next jam.

What, you mean this topic isn't good enough for you? :dry:

Edited by makerofthegames, 21 February 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#1423 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Everybody loves polls!

We need a poll to determine the truth of this.

Edited by greep, 21 February 2013 - 10:32 PM.

Spoiler

#1424 The Legend

The Legend

Unashamed

• GMC Member
  • 1132 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

25th! I'm in the top 25 :D! AND the top 50! :D AND the top 75! :D

#1425 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Everybody loves polls!

The poll would be biased, as those who do not like polls would not participate.

/ontopic
I wouldn't wait for Nocturne to open a topic, not with the room to discuss this here.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#1426 Gorkiller

Gorkiller

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

I don't see how my game is so much better than toothpaste man, yet i got almost the same ranking as it.. wtf's with this voting system.. well any ways I'm happy, not too happy but it'll do..

You don't know the true power of Toothpaste man!!!!!!! Mwuahahahaa!!!! B)/>

yeah.. right.

GMCJam10_Banner_zpseec1ac8f.png

#1427 Lolligirl

Lolligirl

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

• GMC Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

25th! I'm in the top 25 :D! AND the top 50! :D AND the top 75! :D

Congratulations! :)

LTCicon.pngTDCicon.pngRFicon2.pngPDicon.png

The Little Tornado, That Doggone Cat, Race Friends, Poker Defense

My Language Blog - Tips, tricks, and resources from yours truly for learning languages! | #gmc IRC - Join us!

#1428 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Everybody loves polls!

The poll would be biased, as those who do not like polls would not participate.

/ontopic
I wouldn't wait for Nocturne to open a topic, not with the room to discuss this here.

I believe he said he wasn't going to read any of this, twice, though.
Spoiler

#1429 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

I believe he said he wasn't going to read any of this, twice, though.

Doesn't matter. You can still discuss this, and then have better ideas to bring up in the topic when it is created. That's just my opinion though, you can go on asking where the topic is instead. He won't read that either.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#1430 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Raocow LP'd The Statues Live!

I'm pleased that he actually finished all 24 levels and beat the game :)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#1431 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Raocow LP'd The Statues Live!

I'm pleased that he actually finished all 24 levels and beat the game :)

He's LP'd a lot more Jam games, too. :P

Edited by makerofthegames, 25 February 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#1432 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

It's relevant because he just got to the Jam #9 games.

Edited by makerofthegames, 25 February 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#1433 bahamut416

bahamut416

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Posted Image

I'm loving Guillotine, though I've found a pretty... major bug with it. When it lags, you can stack, double, and as far as I'm aware, unlimited stack turrets. Even on areas where you can't normally do such. Though I can't seem to do this to the path to block it off funnily enough.

#1434 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1967 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuhPAc0yHEY
It's relevant because he just got to the Jam #9 games.

LOL I think this guy is definitely Sasha Baron Cohen.

@bahamut416
Yeah - I did notice that; it actually ends up not having to do with the lag and instead the collisions - when I was placing towers, I checked for collisions at mouse_x and mouse_x instead of the center of the grid the mouse was in. As such, if you move your mouse to the edge of the square, you can stack multiple towers. Yay! Bugs!
sig_preview_anim.gifsiggy_gif.gifzombie_01_walk.gif

#1435 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Okay... Time to close this topic. Keep an eye open for the discussion topic in the next couple of days as I see that there are issues we need to deal with if we want the GMC Jam to keep growing. Posted Image

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png