• 25708 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Posted Image

THEME: SCIENCE GONE WRONG

HANDICAP : MUST NOT CONTAIN HUMANS NOR HUMANOIDS

Countdown Clock
http://gmcjam.thegmc.com/

Its a new year and although some say the number 13 is unlucky, it obviously isn't because the world didn't end and the GMC Jam is back! Excellent stuff, and I personally am exceptionally pleased that the community keeps supporting this endeavour every three months and has made it such a worthwhile experience... Now the time is upon us for the GMC Jam #9, which runs from Friday 25th January through Monday 28th and will be 72 hours dedicated purely to game development. So, take note and get ready, because it's nearly time to get jammin'!!!

WHAT IS IT?

The Jam is a community event that we organise to encourage people to experiment with GM and make something that will be interesting or entertaining within the limited timescale of 72 hours.

WHEN IS IT?

• Competition officially Starts Saturday 26th January
  • 72 hours long from 00:00 GMT Saturday 26th ...to... 00:00 GMT Tuesday 29th (See this post for help!)

THEME

• Each jam has a theme, and participants are encouraged to use it!
  • This jam has a handicap too and you are also encouraged to use it!
  • Using the theme is NOT obligatory, nor is using the handicap, but using either will be valued when voting and using BOTH gets extra Kudos!!!
  • To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme for next Jam.
  • The theme will not be revealed until just before the start of the Jam to prevent any advantages.

VOTING

• All games are eligible (themed and non-themed and with or without handicap), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. (Remember: non-theme games can win, but they CANNOT pick the next Jam's theme; see above)
  • Voters choose 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as three special votes to "Best use of theme", "Best Presentation", and the "Best Devblog".
  • It is OBLIGATORY that when voting you leave feedback about WHY you voted for the game(s) you chose. Failure to do so will result in your votes being removed.
  • In order to encourage friendly community spirit, we ask that members not vote for their own game and please refrain from asking friends/family to do so if they are not part of this community.
  • Any form of cheating will result in the instant removal of your game from the jam and being blacklisted for all further community events

PARTICIPATING

• All games must be original creations specifically for the Jam, but you may use whatever resources you wish : EG. dll, scripts, sprites and sounds etc etc etc...
  • You may submit as many games as you wish, but only the highest rated game in the final vote will be eligible for winning any prizes.
  • Games must be posted in the Official Games Topic before the finish deadline for the Jam, and posting a topic in the Games forum here at the GMC is recommended if you want feedback and opinions as the Games Topic is ONLY FOR POSTING GAMES. Hosting is up to the individual user. You may also include and update a development log in your official games topic post.
  • The Official Games Topic must contain a link to your game and a short description.
  • HTML5 Games are permitted, BUT MUST HAVE DOWNLOADABLE .EXE VERSION posted in the Official Games Topic.
  • People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
  • Teams are encouraged and can be organised by you with whomever you wish or you can participate in a random team (see below for more details)

PRIZES

• The Community Prize will be as before... A special graphic/banner, bragging rights and (if your game is a themed game) the possibility of choosing the next jam theme.
  • Prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. EG: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube...anything!

PRIZE LIST

These are prizes kindly and very generously offered to us by GMC members. Donate your time/experience/whatever to this community endeavor! If you wish to add a community prize (game reviews, advertising etc...) please send a PM to Nocturne and he will add it to this post.

PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR COMMUNITY PRIZE IN THIS TOPIC AS WE MAY NOT SEE IT! :o

Try not to let all of the prizes dominate 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (but please do not reward last place!).

You may choose who gets your prize including: competitors, reviewers, winners of specific categories, or even the best development log!

• YoYo Games: An exclusive black Polo Shirt with the YoYo Games logo for first place.
  • Nocturne: DOTA2 on Steam for the winner and each of the "best of" winners, as well as a custom profile background on the GMC profile page for the winner.
  • NAL: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th place get a choice of one each of the following:- Minecraft (Alpha), Sanctum Collection, Hotline Miami, Grand Theft Auto Complete Collection (I, II, III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV, Episodes). There's one of each, so 4th gets first pickings, followed by 5th, etc. If there's a draw, the distribution of prizes is decided by me. And if you win one, you have four weeks from the date of the announcement to claim - too many people don't do it
  • TrueValhalla: Will give a copy of his book "Making Money With HTML5" to the top 3 overall winners.
  • Lune: Those who place between 1st and 10th will receive a complimentary copy of their newly released iOS game, Rocket Fall. Those who win "best use of handicap" will be awarded $25 worth of games on Steam, as will the Reviewer who is most thorough and helpful (insightful) based on their own opinion.
  • Dangerous_Dave: Copies of Left 4 Dead 2 for 7th place, Wanderlust: Rebirth for 10th and Hoard for 15th, all off of Steam.
  • GameDevDan: 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place -|- SuperBeanJump and Balloon Festival iOS promo codes. -|- Free picture-only advertising in the mobile release of Chickens and Moles ("Picture-only" ads will show up when the user has no web connection...). Adverts can be for the prize winners' portfolio, game or whatever.
  • @Alex@: Offers promo codes to the top three, as well as one for the best use of theme and one for the best reviewer of his app Kings.
  • ShinnyJiggly: To the person/group in either 32nd place or 21st place, she will make them some sprites of their choice (barring inappropriate imagery), total pixel count adding up to 300x300, not counting absolute transparency or pixels unchanged in animation (going by GIMP's gif optimizer). Which one gets chosen will be decided by sending in a message at least 100 words as to why they want/need said prize. The most convincing message will win this particular prize!!!
  • Snail_Man: The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd winners will appear in his next jam game. Most likely as Easter Eggs, but possibly as main character. (He'll PM the winners after they've been announced to see what they'd want to look like in a game. If they don't answer, he'll be forced to get creative.)
  • Cantavanda: Will give a game on Steam (any game) valued UP TO 40€ to his favourite game
  • Orange08: Will write a poem for the game that he liked the best.
  • holgersson1988: Is giving away a copy of his game "Terraform" to every one of the first 10 places, as well as those that win the "best of" categories.
  • faissialoo: One custom Minecraft skin for the 4th place.
  • Saijee: For anyone ranked between 1 and 30 they will make a fan art for their game (on request).
  • Yal: The top three people (if there's teams, that means I prioritize people from the winning game) and whoever gets the least amount of votes, but at least one, and gets an unique number of votes (aka, if one guy gets 3 votes and 26 guys get 1 vote, the guy with the 3 votes is the winner even though 26 people technically got less votes) will get added as either unlockable playable characters or bosses in an upcoming game of mine. Requires knowing how you look, but due to the graphical style a verbal description (e.g. "Male. Long black hair, big nose, fights with dual whips in an Indy-style outfit") should be enough.
  • LukeW23: Offers prizes of fanart to the Winner of Best Use of Theme and Best Use of Handicap, his overall top 3 games AND whoever creates the best levels for my game during the voting period (he hopes to implement external levels and a level editor much better than last time!)
  • supmaster: Will give a supmaster award for the game with the craziest plot and he'll also link the game to his topic: http://gmc.yoyogames...1
  • Nightswim: Bronze Prize: The top 20 winners will receive: Nightswim's 3-song EP Color Stardust (released 2012) and 5 stickers each (includes a link to download 2 bonus tracks - one of them is a Mega Man song!). Silver Prize: The top 5 winners will also receive: A promo CD of Nightswim's unreleased new 13-song album Space Cadet Me! Gold Prize: The top winner will also receive: A remix of their winning game's theme song by Nightswim! OR a remix for one of their other games' songs (of their choosing).
  • Fireball16: Will port his favourite jam games to Android for free. And maybe even publish them if the game owners want him to. Posted Image
  • Dadio: 1st place gets a lego Leprechaun with pot of gold (plastecine) maggots *&* a fluffy toy of one of the mutations from Teh Bestest Gaem Evar! :woot!! 2nd place gets a customised toilet roll inserts that vaguely resemble myself, NAL & Jack, and 3rd Place gets an autographed Japanese peach flavoured sweets packet that has a demented "fairy" character on it that looks kinda like a mutant pink blow-up version of Tingle from Zelda.
  • Jack Oatly: 20th Place gets and original Pot Noodle!
  • Lukasmah: Offers a crappy banner and an un-serious review for game that gets the last place. If the game is unplayable or is made by him, I'l just take the place above that.

We're hoping for plenty of community prizes, so please be generous!

Looking For A Team

If you are looking for a team mate or wish to be part of a random team, PM Nocturne to add your name below:

TheLegend (looking for programmers, musicians or designer)

Support Banners

Please add a support banner to your forum signature.

Banner 1:
Posted Image

Banner 2:
Posted Image

Edited by Nocturne, 01 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#2 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Nice little banner there... I've been looking forward to this.

The theme has 3 different words? That's a first.

THEME GUESS: Collect Many Items
Sounds a bit more like a handicap than a theme, but it's all that comes to mind atm.

Edit:
THEME GUESS #2: Deceive Your Brain

Edited by orange08, 16 January 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#3 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Competition officially Starts Saturday 26th October

Oh boy, I can't wait 10 months for this! :whistle:

Anyways, I'm going to make a comeback in this jam! You better watch your backs! (Wow, that sounded so corny...)

Edited by 11clock, 16 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

qNDVrhl.png

#4 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

No, the theme is definitely a theme... I still have to chase up the handicap! But I'll add that in in a bit...

EDIT: Damn cut and paste! Fixed... Posted Image

Edited by Nocturne, 16 January 2013 - 03:09 PM.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#5 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

RIP current GMC

• Global Moderators
  • 1453 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Cool to see YYG giving a prize again :P I'm definitely entering (properly) this time regardless of the theme/handicap. Well excited for it!

See you all on the other side.

Back & share :)

#6 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

4th, 5th, 6th, 7th place get a choice of one each of the following:

- Minecraft (Alpha)
- Sanctum Collection
- Hotline Miami
- Grand Theft Auto Complete Collection (I, II, III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV, Episodes)

There's one of each, so 4th gets first pickings, followed by 5th, etc. If there's a draw, the distribution of prizes is decided by me. And if you win one, you have four weeks from the date of the announcement to claim - too many people don't do it :(

I shall be entering too. Really looking forward to it!

Posted Image

#7 Venomous

Venomous

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1626 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'd love to enter, but I have something going on in one of the Jam days. Hopefully I'll manage to make something playable in the time I have.
I like how YoYo Games is offering a prize again.

#8 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Will probably enter this time. I have a goal to make one game per year, so I might as well get it out of the way for 2013. :thumbsup:/>

#9 holgersson1988

holgersson1988

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I will be giving away community prizes as well this time
I'll give away my game Terraform (worth 2.99) to the top 10 games as well as any game winning 1st place in any category.

Good luck figuring out the theme... hihi :)
Happy jammin' everyone!

-Holgersson

#10 faissialoo

faissialoo

I get high on orange

• GMC Member
  • 1372 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I wants!!!! I'll be working in a team with the rest of faissaloo ( http://faissaloo.webs.com/about-us )

cooltext680386545.png
The YYGF subreddit: /r/YYGF

#11 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

awesome! Ill definitely enter, even if I can only spare 48 hours. I have a few ideas, so ill see if they fit the jam. This will be my forth (completed) game jam, and my third gmc jam. I feel ive improved alot, and I hope (read: hope) to be in the top 20. I at least want to beat my best though (which is 24th I think, not including my LD 48 entry.)

I have returned.

#12 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

I will be entering if at all possible, after 2 jams of absence. Looking forwards to it!

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#13 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

GUYS!

PM ME YOUR PRIZES!!

just posting them here is not enough as I may miss some... Posted Image

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#14 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

I checked my schedule for this weekend today and it was nice and clear... So I'm now going away for the whole weekend :hmmm:

In fairness I would have gone away even if I knew, but it does reduce my potential jamming time down to about 6 hours. I was really hoping to enter this one as well, having not managed to see my project through last time, but it's looking very unlikely :(

#15 newkill

newkill

Silver Sword Games

• GMC Member
  • 1248 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Grrrrrr I have that big party on January 26th for my own birthday :sleep:
I'll see if I have time to enter...!

#16 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Grrrrrr I have that big party on January 26th for my own birthday Posted Image

Pfff.. Unless you are like already 99 then you still have plenty of birthdays ahead of you. get your priorities straight man!!! This is the GMC Jam!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#17 Lune

Lune

hic quoque transibit

• GMC Member
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm so down for this. I'm going to offer community prizes, too, but I haven't decided what they'll be yet.

By the way, I hate to spoil things, but the theme is Chicken Mole Games.

AbeBlyTwitch.png
AbeBlyTwitter.png

#18 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Worship Game Maker? :whistle:

Posted Image

#19 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Last Jam I was too busy to make anything of quality or hype myself up, so I didn't make anything. I'll probably enter this time, though.

#20 TheSnidr

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist

• GMC Elder
  • 3345 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Woohoo!
This time I'll go back to the random wtf kind of games, make the character not too slow, do the action already in the beginning, and make it not too hard! I learn from my mistakes! :biggrin:/> :biggrin:/> :biggrin:/> :biggrin:/>

Good, that's the spirit! Your game in the previous jam wasn't bad though.

I'm joining with Lolligirl this time too!

#21 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

I should be able to participate this time! Whee.

My first guess for the theme is "Nothing/That/[4-Letter-Verb]s".

#22 Desttinghim

Desttinghim

Artist

• GMC Member
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'll be joining too! Hopefully my games isn't so painfully bad and I actually get myself to vote on anything.

#23 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Miiight be able to participate, if I can sort out university work, housing, part-time job and summer job ... I would like to join in.

List Of Mods And Add-Ons

(Things you must try, for the games you already have)

Insightful links:
Higher Order Fun -- Game Design, Maths.
The Missing Concept -- Career/Hobby?
Neither Career Nor Hobby -- Career/Hobby?
Wario Land 4 Project -- Platformer design.

#24 11clock

11clock

Mech. Game Designer

• GMC Member
  • 2735 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Grrrrrr I have that big party on January 26th for my own birthday Posted Image

Pfff.. Unless you are like already 99 then you still have plenty of birthdays ahead of you. get your priorities straight man!!! This is the GMC Jam!

I know you're joking, but these jams happen four times year, and a birthday only happens once a year. :P

qNDVrhl.png

#25 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

THEME: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ / _ _ _ E / _ _ O _ _

Posted Image

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#26 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Carefull... A lot of these theme guesses sound more like handicaps. And I can assure you that the theme has been well chosen and is a definite theme, not a handicap or restriction. Posted Image

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#27 Beaver

Beaver

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

I checked the countdown clock and got...

The GMC Jam is now over!
Theme (Optional): disasters

I'm guessing it hasn't been updated yet?

Edited by Beaver, 16 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#28 Lune

Lune

hic quoque transibit

• GMC Member
  • 991 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

SELLING FREE BOOKS
EARNING MORE MOONS
DROWNED BLUE CROWS
DAMAGED LIKE BLOOD
VOYEURS OGLE BOOBS
DOCTORS MAKE TROLL
NATURAL FAKE DROID
TERNARY TREE BROIL

Edit: tried an online solver and it guessed "Antique Cake Store". I like it.

Edited by Lune, 17 January 2013 - 12:06 AM.

AbeBlyTwitch.png
AbeBlyTwitter.png

#29 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I've found that even with Shadow Link's awesome countdown timer, in previous jams people were still confused about the timing of it so hopefully this will clear it up for everyone.
The GMC Jam goes for three days over Saturday 26th, Sunday 27th, and Monday 28th of January 2013:

Posted Image - click to see actual GMC calendar

It begins at midnight on Friday night (which is the same as 00:00 Saturday morning) and ends at midnight on Monday night.
***This is GMT time so it will be different for you depending on where you live!***

Find out how far off GMT you live, e.g. GMT-7, UTC-3, GMT+1, UTC+10 (UTC will be the same as GMT).
So GMT-9 (or UTC-9) would mean that you subtract 9 hours from the time to get the correct time in your zone.
So if you lived in GMT-9, the Jam would start at 3pm on Friday 25th-January and end at 3pm on Monday 28th-January for you.
GMT+9 means you would add 9 hours which makes it 9am Saturday 26th-Janurary to 9am Tuesday 29th-January instead.

One more thing to consider is daylight savings. If you have daylight savings where you live and it is in effect, then you will need to ADD an hour to your timezone. GMT-9 would become GMT-8 and GMT+9 would become GMT+10.

This map displays all of the time zones (click where you live for accuracy), and what time it is there currently.

If you know your timezone (and have adjusted for daylight savings if applicable), you can refer to this chart:
Spoiler

If all of that is still too confusing, please PM me with the city, state/province, and country you live in and I'll figure it out for you (don't use abbreviations).

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#30 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

Gotta admire the TeamSteeve dedication there... +1!!! And a link to the post in the OP.

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#31 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

Gotta admire the TeamSteeve dedication there... +1!!! And a link to the post in the OP.

I was keeping my eye on the forum and waiting until you posted this topic so I could add this in. I was hoping to get 2nd post but you posted when I was asleep! Oh well. :P

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#32 Oracizan

Oracizan

Mutant Dreamer

• GMC Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Carefull... A lot of these theme guesses sound more like handicaps. And I can assure you that the theme has been well chosen and is a definite theme, not a handicap or restriction. Posted Image

That's very true...I was thinking of a handicap, not a theme. Those two new letters send me back to the drawing board anyway!

#33 NAL

NAL

HELLO MOTHER ༼ つ ◕3◕ ༽つ

• GMC Elder
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Tried several crossword/phrase solvers. The only coherent crossword answer I found was:

"Weeping Tree Broom"

So we're all making games about New Zealand shrubbery. :unsure:

Posted Image

#34 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

My guess: NATURAL HOME GROWN

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#35 Mercerenies

Mercerenies

Koopa King

• GMC Member
  • 1945 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Is it that time already? It feels like the last one was so recent...

Oh well, not complaining or anything :whistle:

I... don't really have a community prize to offer this time. I'll try to think of something.
iPqfGiP.png

#36 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

you know something, this jam is just in time for my first month of onegameamonth.com......

yay!

I have returned.

#37 DJ Vinyl Scratch

DJ Vinyl Scratch

Vinylicious

• GMC:Member
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'm in.

I support gay marriage. 

I also support random humor.

#38 PixelKing

PixelKing

Your Highness

• GMC Member
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

I may be in. I'm not to sure if I'll actually be able to make it due to school and stuff. But I'll definitely try!

pixelkingss12.png

#39 fenyxofshadows

fenyxofshadows

coobie

• GMC Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I'll enter this time. Whatever I make will probably be very simple, though (school starts soon, though this is right before school starts for me)

I still need to draw pictures for the GMC Jam 8 game in 9th place (which I can't play on this computer, so screenshots pls, whoever was in 9th).

I'll still draw a picture for 9th place this jam, but I need to draw the jam 8 pictures first.

Edited by fenyxofshadows, 17 January 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Make a contract with me and become a magical girl!

/人 ‿‿ 人\

#40 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

I may be in. I'm not to sure if I'll actually be able to make it due to school and stuff. But I'll definitely try!

I have a lot on too. Australia day is on the Saturday of the jam weekend and I must hold a pool party because if I don't organise these sorts of things, my friends wouldn't have very many decent parties at all.

Also my wife gets increasingly agitated each jam at me spending time making a game instead of doing the many other things we need to get done. I think the biggest gripe she has is that I don't help out much with our baby daughter when the jam is on. I think this time I might try to get a lot of baby time in before the jam (maybe even tell my wife to go do something she likes while I'm at it), so I can have a little grace period to make a game.

I love the jam. It helps me to get better at game making and it's a really nice community event that brings people together, which is great for everyone. I'm gonna do my best to submit something - even if it doesn't turn out very good at all! :thumbsup:

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#41 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:42 AM

Australia day is on the Saturday of the jam weekend and I must hold a pool party because if I don't organise these sorts of things, my friends wouldn't have very many decent parties at all.

Hopefully, your pool hasn't dried up from the Australian heat. From what I see in the news, Australia is getting so hot you don't even need a barbie to cook the prawns. :huh:

I think this time I might try to get a lot of baby time in before the jam <snip> so I can have a little grace period to make a game.

Spoken like a true Dad -- i.e., build up some "baby points" ahead of time... so you can use them during the Jam. :P

#42 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Hopefully, your pool hasn't dried up from the Australian heat. From what I see in the news, Australia is getting so hot you don't even need a barbie to cook the prawns. :huh:/>

I live in Tasmania, the coldest part of Australia, so I'll be fine. I'm just hoping it will be warm enough.

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#43 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

I'm totally in. My bet's on the last word being alone, story, or clone. And it better not be clown.
GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler

#44 Lune

Lune

hic quoque transibit

• GMC Member
  • 991 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

I'm totally in. My bet's on the last word being alone, story, or clone. And it better not be clown.

You mean to tell me the theme is "Copying Cave Story"?

@TeamSteeve
Can your kid help with the game dev? Scribble art or sound effects?

AbeBlyTwitch.png
AbeBlyTwitter.png

#45 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1359 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

@TeamSteeve
Can your kid help with the game dev? Scribble art or sound effects?

Hmmm, I guess it depends on what kind of game I make. I don't think she understands the concept of drawing - but smearing things on other things comes naturally.

If I have something in my game that makes the sound "dad dad dad dad dad daaaaaad daddadad da da daaaaa dad dad", I'll know where to turn. :P

TeamSteeveBanner.png

#46 land of games

land of games

han solos friend

• GMC Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

I just found out that I have 3 days off after the weekend of the jam, therefore I have the full 72 hours. This is the first time I have had the whole 72 hours since gmc jam #7 :D

I have returned.

#47 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

Bleh, I have to write a program in java for translating E programs into C and submit it the day before the jam ends. Considering I've never used any of those languages, I should probably start now if I want any time left for the jam :whistle:
GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler

#48 Floofpaws

Floofpaws

Fox

• GMC Member
  • 2161 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

DANMAKU GAME CLONE

Great, I have to make another Touhou game...

My list of possible themes:
Spoiler

Edited by darkwalker247, 17 January 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#49 Yal

Yal

Even though the GMC may be gone, our love will prevail eternally

• Global Moderators
  • 11774 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

ANOTHER CAVE STORY

^__________________^

EXAMPLE GAME CLONE

That could actually be quite interesting. Is it possible to make a good Click-The-Clown game, for instance, or a better Street Race game?

My aim for this Jam is to come up with something completely unexpected.

- The above is my personal opinion and in no way representative of Yoyogames or the GMC, except when explicitly stated -

Open this spoiler for my games:

Spoiler

Some useful game engines, music and other resources at affordable prices:

My collection of game resources at itch.io

New user? Can't draw but want to look unique? You can request a new avatar in this thread!

#50 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

My aim for this Jam is to come up with something completely unexpected.

Go for something completely expected, nobody would expect that