THEME: SCIENCE GONE WRONG
HANDICAP : MUST NOT CONTAIN HUMANS NOR HUMANOIDS
Its a new year and although some say the number 13 is unlucky, it obviously isn't because the world didn't end and the GMC Jam is back! Excellent stuff, and I personally am exceptionally pleased that the community keeps supporting this endeavour every three months and has made it such a worthwhile experience... Now the time is upon us for the GMC Jam #9, which runs from Friday 25th January through Monday 28th and will be 72 hours dedicated purely to game development. So, take note and get ready, because it's nearly time to get jammin'!!!
WHAT IS IT?
The Jam is a community event that we organise to encourage people to experiment with GM and make something that will be interesting or entertaining within the limited timescale of 72 hours.
WHEN IS IT?
- Competition officially Starts Saturday 26th January
- 72 hours long from 00:00 GMT Saturday 26th ...to... 00:00 GMT Tuesday 29th (See this post for help!)
- Each jam has a theme, and participants are encouraged to use it!
- This jam has a handicap too and you are also encouraged to use it!
- Using the theme is NOT obligatory, nor is using the handicap, but using either will be valued when voting and using BOTH gets extra Kudos!!!
- To encourage use of theme, the highest-voted theme-based game gets to choose the theme for next Jam.
- The theme will not be revealed until just before the start of the Jam to prevent any advantages.
- All games are eligible (themed and non-themed and with or without handicap), but voters should take "use of theme" into account. (Remember: non-theme games can win, but they CANNOT pick the next Jam's theme; see above)
- Voters choose 1st, 2nd and 3rd place as well as three special votes to "Best use of theme", "Best Presentation", and the "Best Devblog".
- It is OBLIGATORY that when voting you leave feedback about WHY you voted for the game(s) you chose. Failure to do so will result in your votes being removed.
- In order to encourage friendly community spirit, we ask that members not vote for their own game and please refrain from asking friends/family to do so if they are not part of this community.
- Any form of cheating will result in the instant removal of your game from the jam and being blacklisted for all further community events
- All games must be original creations specifically for the Jam, but you may use whatever resources you wish : EG. dll, scripts, sprites and sounds etc etc etc...
- You may submit as many games as you wish, but only the highest rated game in the final vote will be eligible for winning any prizes.
- Games must be posted in the Official Games Topic before the finish deadline for the Jam, and posting a topic in the Games forum here at the GMC is recommended if you want feedback and opinions as the Games Topic is ONLY FOR POSTING GAMES. Hosting is up to the individual user. You may also include and update a development log in your official games topic post.
- The Official Games Topic must contain a link to your game and a short description.
- HTML5 Games are permitted, BUT MUST HAVE DOWNLOADABLE .EXE VERSION posted in the Official Games Topic.
- People are welcome to use any outside sites, and are also welcome to promote such sites, but the posting of topics and the voting will be done on the GMC.
- Teams are encouraged and can be organised by you with whomever you wish or you can participate in a random team (see below for more details)
- The Community Prize will be as before... A special graphic/banner, bragging rights and (if your game is a themed game) the possibility of choosing the next jam theme.
- Prizes will also be offered as members of the community contribute whatever the feel appropriate. EG: Coverage on their web site, custom graphics for the game, a video of the gameplay for YouTube...anything!
These are prizes kindly and very generously offered to us by GMC members. Donate your time/experience/whatever to this community endeavor! If you wish to add a community prize (game reviews, advertising etc...) please send a PM to Nocturne and he will add it to this post.
PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR COMMUNITY PRIZE IN THIS TOPIC AS WE MAY NOT SEE IT!
Try not to let all of the prizes dominate 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place (but please do not reward last place!).
You may choose who gets your prize including: competitors, reviewers, winners of specific categories, or even the best development log!
- YoYo Games: An exclusive black Polo Shirt with the YoYo Games logo for first place.
- Nocturne: DOTA2 on Steam for the winner and each of the "best of" winners, as well as a custom profile background on the GMC profile page for the winner.
- NAL: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th place get a choice of one each of the following:- Minecraft (Alpha), Sanctum Collection, Hotline Miami, Grand Theft Auto Complete Collection (I, II, III, Vice City, San Andreas, IV, Episodes). There's one of each, so 4th gets first pickings, followed by 5th, etc. If there's a draw, the distribution of prizes is decided by me. And if you win one, you have four weeks from the date of the announcement to claim - too many people don't do it
- TrueValhalla: Will give a copy of his book "Making Money With HTML5" to the top 3 overall winners.
- Lune: Those who place between 1st and 10th will receive a complimentary copy of their newly released iOS game, Rocket Fall. Those who win "best use of handicap" will be awarded $25 worth of games on Steam, as will the Reviewer who is most thorough and helpful (insightful) based on their own opinion.
- Dangerous_Dave: Copies of Left 4 Dead 2 for 7th place, Wanderlust: Rebirth for 10th and Hoard for 15th, all off of Steam.
- GameDevDan: 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place -|- SuperBeanJump and Balloon Festival iOS promo codes. -|- Free picture-only advertising in the mobile release of Chickens and Moles ("Picture-only" ads will show up when the user has no web connection...). Adverts can be for the prize winners' portfolio, game or whatever.
- @Alex@: Offers promo codes to the top three, as well as one for the best use of theme and one for the best reviewer of his app Kings.
- ShinnyJiggly: To the person/group in either 32nd place or 21st place, she will make them some sprites of their choice (barring inappropriate imagery), total pixel count adding up to 300x300, not counting absolute transparency or pixels unchanged in animation (going by GIMP's gif optimizer). Which one gets chosen will be decided by sending in a message at least 100 words as to why they want/need said prize. The most convincing message will win this particular prize!!!
- Snail_Man: The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd winners will appear in his next jam game. Most likely as Easter Eggs, but possibly as main character. (He'll PM the winners after they've been announced to see what they'd want to look like in a game. If they don't answer, he'll be forced to get creative.)
- Cantavanda: Will give a game on Steam (any game) valued UP TO 40€ to his favourite game
- Orange08: Will write a poem for the game that he liked the best.
- holgersson1988: Is giving away a copy of his game "Terraform" to every one of the first 10 places, as well as those that win the "best of" categories.
- faissialoo: One custom Minecraft skin for the 4th place.
- Saijee: For anyone ranked between 1 and 30 they will make a fan art for their game (on request).
- Yal: The top three people (if there's teams, that means I prioritize people from the winning game) and whoever gets the least amount of votes, but at least one, and gets an unique number of votes (aka, if one guy gets 3 votes and 26 guys get 1 vote, the guy with the 3 votes is the winner even though 26 people technically got less votes) will get added as either unlockable playable characters or bosses in an upcoming game of mine. Requires knowing how you look, but due to the graphical style a verbal description (e.g. "Male. Long black hair, big nose, fights with dual whips in an Indy-style outfit") should be enough.
- LukeW23: Offers prizes of fanart to the Winner of Best Use of Theme and Best Use of Handicap, his overall top 3 games AND whoever creates the best levels for my game during the voting period (he hopes to implement external levels and a level editor much better than last time!)
- supmaster: Will give a supmaster award for the game with the craziest plot and he'll also link the game to his topic: http://gmc.yoyogames...1
- Nightswim: Bronze Prize: The top 20 winners will receive: Nightswim's 3-song EP Color Stardust (released 2012) and 5 stickers each (includes a link to download 2 bonus tracks - one of them is a Mega Man song!). Silver Prize: The top 5 winners will also receive: A promo CD of Nightswim's unreleased new 13-song album Space Cadet Me! Gold Prize: The top winner will also receive: A remix of their winning game's theme song by Nightswim! OR a remix for one of their other games' songs (of their choosing).
- Fireball16: Will port his favourite jam games to Android for free. And maybe even publish them if the game owners want him to.
- Dadio: 1st place gets a lego Leprechaun with pot of gold (plastecine) maggots *&* a fluffy toy of one of the mutations from Teh Bestest Gaem Evar! :woot!! 2nd place gets a customised toilet roll inserts that vaguely resemble myself, NAL & Jack, and 3rd Place gets an autographed Japanese peach flavoured sweets packet that has a demented "fairy" character on it that looks kinda like a mutant pink blow-up version of Tingle from Zelda.
- Jack Oatly: 20th Place gets and original Pot Noodle!
- Lukasmah: Offers a crappy banner and an un-serious review for game that gets the last place. If the game is unplayable or is made by him, I'l just take the place above that.
We're hoping for plenty of community prizes, so please be generous!
Looking For A Team
If you are looking for a team mate or wish to be part of a random team, PM Nocturne to add your name below:
TheLegend (looking for programmers, musicians or designer)
Please add a support banner to your forum signature.
Edited by Nocturne, 01 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.