28/08/2014: version 1.5, the sky is the limit?
Written by: Paul Weijtens
Download: GoogleCode - Project home (source etc)
Dropbox extension (gex)
Size: 1.8 Mb (packed) 3.1 Mb (unpacked)
Platforms: Windows (depends on a dll, though everything is written in a portable manner so someone with a mac, contact me!)
License: New BSD license
Now that GameMaker moved into a sandbox environment a gab has been created for those who like to do file management with GameMaker. This extension is build to fill the gab. As such one of the core components is to make the functions as transparent as possible; the functions work nearly identical to GM's build in. This means no helpfile is necessary, the help comes from the GM manual.
- *new* Unicode text
- All file_text_* functions
- All file_bin_* functions
- Ability to add sprites, backgrounds & sounds
- Conversion from and to all common image formats
- Ability to export resources & save screenshots
- All filesystem functions (and directory exist/create)
- Extra binary functions to write larger pieces of data
- file functions to check filestream state
- All ini functions
- Ability to handle multiple ini files at the same time
- Lightning fast XML file functions.
These are in my personal order of importance.
All functions in the filesystem area (file_copy, file_delete etc)(1.1) Better failed-reading handling (I should actually allow you to fix problems)(1.2.1) resources (sprite_add(), background_add() etc)(1.2) ini_files(1.3) xml_files(1.4)
- YAML & JSON support
- .... (open for suggestions)
GMFilesystem has several downloads - and all older versions are still available. All downloads you can find at the google-code page (select all downloads instead of current ones to see old versions). Basically you should always use the newest version, and also download the newest manual (manual might be a few version behind though).
The latest version is 1.5 Downloaded from dropbox
- Ability to load files with "unicode"/wide names
- For text files the ablity to read & write unicode text.
- UTF8, UTF16, UTF32 supported completely - note that a single "character" may consist of multiple bytes
- Unicode is convert from/to UTF8 on the fly for gamemaker
- Automatic line breaking handled in text, set the default
I don't own a mac, so if someone thinks this extension is useful and wishes to create it for the mac, don't hesitate to contact me; I'd love to help you create a dylib version. Also I tried to keep it locale agnostic, however I don't really know how well it works with unicode. As far as I could test reading/writing data from/to files worked also for unicode files, about the filenames I have my doubts though, so any information would be kind there.
As always generic ideas for improvement are more than welcome, I'm still wondering how I will make the extension handle loading of image data (and passing it to GM).
Last but not least, if you use GMFileSystem & find it useful it would be kind if you leave a note here; The more people show they like/need this, the more likely I am to make progress!