#1 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Divergence of Nature

Note: There isn't going to be much of interest for a few weeks, so I'd only download if you find critiquing base game stuff amusing.

What is this game? After finishing my first big project with my friend, I'm now confident to start the game I've been waiting to make for quite some time. Since I'm developing this on my own now, I'll be doing it my way: Weekly updates every sunday, tracking the entire game. Regardless of how much I've done, a new version will be up each weekend, hopefully with more done and not less.

How far have you gotten? The long term development goals have long been previously designed, and I've finally begun coding a few days ago and designing specific aspects. The beginning so far is figuring out my art style and getting the specifics of combat figured out. It's nothing special at all, but it's the very first few days of the project. It looks sorta like this:

Posted Image

Where are you going with this? Find out! Combat is not the main emphasis of the game really, but it's the best place to start and get a feel for how I should go with the artwork and basic game stuff like viewsize and whatnot.

Current controls: WASD. hold I to prep attack and release. Press escape to quit.

Swat at the shadow you (just an image_blend to just distinguish you from the enemy). Hitting at the same time as the enemy causes a parry effect, although it's not really worked out what it's going to do beyond not damaging either player yet. Holding attack and moving in a set direction builds momentum, allowing the player to build speed before an attack, although it does not yet have an effect on the sword attack.

Goal for next week: Add battle music, add two more attacks for nodachi, finish parry, add fatigue variable
Goal for two weeks from now: add A.I. for multiple enemies, add randomness to battles, add sword and board weapon set

Comment on anything you like. My aim for the combat system is an emphasis on having to read your opponent's moves, and to deal with multiple eneies and allies, so any suggestions would be most welcome. Currently, the battle at the moment is just who gets in the first shot since there is only one move lol.

Version 0_0_1 can be downloaded here: http://sandbox.yoyog...ergenceofnature

Edited by greep, 13 January 2013 - 05:11 AM.

GMC_Jam_11_SmallBanner_zps69ed8fdf.png
Spoiler

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

This is a good start, even though there's not too much to do yet. But the character is playable, and the movement and fighting controls seem to work. However, the character's walking seems a bit too fast. So it's easy to lose track of him off the screen. I assume you're eventually planning to add limits to his movements -- if not, you might consider that.

Are these "place holder" graphics? Or the final product? They aren't bad... just a bit rough looking. So a little less pixelization, and a little more detail would help. But that's just my taste.

Either way, it's a pretty good start.

#3 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

The character is going to be the final product, "the shadow", sand and rocks aren't. This is literally my first time doing real spriting, so maybe not even the character when I get better, but I'm definitely sticking with low definition sprites of around these dimensions. It doesn't fit everyone's taste admittedly, but I'm doing this product solo, so I have to be realistic about just how much work I can put into the spriting.

As for speed yeah everything is going to be slowed down a bit, especially combat speed which is getting halved as we speak :D I'm having a bit of a problem at the moment with slowing the speed of walking down, as I get tearing when I use fractional speeds o.o, and I don't want to slow the fps to below 45.

Also, thanks for the reply. There's really not a game yet, but this is probably where I need the most criticism :)

Edit: hah, well shattering my monitor certainly wasn't in my weekly plan. Updating tomorrow instead :whistle:

Edited by greep, 13 January 2013 - 05:12 AM.

Spoiler

#4 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

Okay, second build up, day late, due to technical difficulties ^^;; Added fmod and music. Combat attacks significantly reduced in speed, as well as regular movement speed (although momentum builds up quicker). Getting the right combat speed took longer than I expected o.o. Also increased viewsize

Second attack can be used by hitting j. "I" attacks (up cut) are slow but can be prepped while moving and they are much more difficult to parry, making them a great follow up to an attack that pushes back, while "J" (low cut) attacks are swift "regular" attacks are much easier to parry. Technically there's also a kick, but it's being replaced.

You can set AI penalty by pressing e. A lower penalty than 10 makes the enemy attacks quicker. Also, the view now moves and the room is bigger. Anyways, looks like I should just stick to general goals since getting annoyed at certain parts of the game means I'm never going to do what I say exactly each week >.>

General goals for this week: Full keyboard and mouse customization template. Change kick to bash which can be used when adjacent to an enemy (slowed combat unfortunately gets people stuck together sometimes). Maybe get around to multiple enemies. And fixing the 45 degree sword sprites that look awful.

Edited by greep, 14 January 2013 - 07:26 PM.

Spoiler

#5 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

Okay, added template for keyboard customization as well as extremely moddable menus. So hopefully that's the only menu I'll ever really have to code, looks, like I can just change sprites from now on. Pressing F will open the menu. Escape closes it, arrow keys move the selection, pressing a key maps it to the variable. Not completely finished, but almost.

Busy week so didn't get anything else done. No goals or updates for next saturday, just finishing a bunch of CS projects and doing the GMC jam.
Spoiler

#6 seZereth

seZereth

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

not bad for a start

I am interested to see where this is going.

Maybe mark the area you are hitting (like where collision is detected) with some sort of blurred sword effect (like here on this random google image: http://fc01.devianta...d_by_RisanF.png)

Cheers!

duellanesLogo.png

Duel-Lanes: a new way of action packed Hotseat Real Time Strategy gaming.

#7 greep

greep

Menaces with Spikes

• GMC Member
  • 2398 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Hey thanks!  But ugh, I was pretty excited to work on this.. till I hit upper division CS courses in uc davis.  Kind of a shock compared to working on lower division courses in a community college.  I'm trying to find the time to get to work on this, but for the moment this is pretty dead in the water.

Spoiler