37 replies to this topic

#1 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

YoYo Games Release GameMaker: Studio MIPS Edition: http://www.nasdaq.co...1tMxBY4.twitter

Will update this post when I understand the importance of this.

Posts below do a decent job at explaining it.

#2 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3275 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

What is MIPS...?

#3 WMCD

WMCD

Spritist

• GMC Member
  • 1418 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Will update this post when I understand the importance of this.

What is MIPS...?

ITT We define MIPS.

#4 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I think you'll be waiting a long time to update that post, I personally don't think it is importent at the moment.

I've only ever seen one MIPS device, it was a budget tablet that looked like it belonged in the kids toy section.

Edited by Derme, 05 January 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#5 iSeiren

iSeiren

www.worrall.pw

• GMC Member
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yay game dev for.... Routers :S lol.

#6 PrinceOfSorrow

PrinceOfSorrow

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

where we can download this ? or will come along via update to regular/steam version ?

I don't know what actually MIPS is, but i read an android export as well in the article and they helping the indie game dev ? does mean we can export to android apps at free cost with the MIPS version ?

#7 iSeiren

iSeiren

www.worrall.pw

• GMC Member
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

where we can download this ? or will come along via update to regular/steam version ?

I don't know what actually MIPS is, but i read an android export as well in the article and they helping the indie game dev ? does mean we can export to android apps at free cost with the MIPS version ?

Some android devices actually use MIPS, so it will only work on those devices.

#8 FX62

FX62

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Most tablets and phones that use the MIPS chip are, for lack of a better term, no name. You won't find Samsung or other brand names with the chip. I looked at the MIPS company website and went through their device listing and there was only one name I recognized and that was Lenovo. Certainly not something you find in the masses so to speak.

#9 Alpha Beta Soup

Alpha Beta Soup

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Most tablets and phones that use the MIPS chip are, for lack of a better term, no name. You won't find Samsung or other brand names with the chip. I looked at the MIPS company website and went through their device listing and there was only one name I recognized and that was Lenovo. Certainly not something you find in the masses so to speak.

what I read: Budget products aimed at people who don't want to invest much in such products and so are less likely to spend money on apps when there is plenty of free ones they can use. Since they are not that common ad revenue will be quite low too.

Doesn't seem like there is much to be excited about. Unless I missed something. Anyone know about future plans for MIPS that would make this worthwhile?

Edit: typo

Edited by Alpha Beta Soup, 05 January 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#10 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3082 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I wonder what sort of games I can make for routers. Posted Image

I really don't know what this is for, but it sounds like something that it is meant to be used and catered by a small crowd.

#11 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

So my understanding of it is that it isn't very widespread, but it's used primarily on super budget tablets, and maybe smart TVs of the future. It seems like a pretty unappealing dev opportunity, for reasons mentioned above, but maybe it will become more significant in the future.

#12 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7244 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Posting a discussion topic, and expecting members to explain the details, isn't very wise -- especially on the GMC where misinformation is rampant. Surely you could have mustered a few sentences explaining MIPS technology, and MIPS-based devices.

For those who follow MIPS developments, this is fun news. And it's probably a market-savvy move for YoYo Games. MIPS architectures made a decent showing at last year's CES. I expect an even bigger showing of MIPS-based products at this year's CES (hence the early announcement).

I also think we'll be seeing more lower-end tablets and smartphones (especially from Korean and Chinese OEM) coming soon. I think there's a tremendous market potential that's not being addressed by the big Android/iOS/Win manufacturers. Either way, it's probably a wise move on YYG part to get a foot in the door now, with a free Studio MIPS version.

Of course, a big factor facing the adoption of MIPS-based systems, is that chips and embedded systems are getting more powerful, less expensive, and more power efficient. So the incentive to use a slimmed down architecture isn't as big as it once was. So I don't expect MIPS architectures to dominate the consumer market, but it'll be fun to see where this goes.

(Aside: I believe there are MIPS-based Linux kernels available too. But I'm not sure if they look like the most widely used Linux versions.)

Edited by chance, 05 January 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#13 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Posting a discussion topic, and expecting members to explain the details, isn't very wise.

I'm a member also, remember? I'm not familiar with this field and don't want to misrepresent it.

#14 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3275 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Posting a discussion topic, and expecting members to explain the details, isn't very wise.

I'm a member also, remember? I'm not familiar with this field and don't want to misrepresent it.

I agree with TV here. Besides if the members of the GMC can explain it and understand it themselves
then TV doesn't really need to post anything else about it.

#15 iSeiren

iSeiren

www.worrall.pw

• GMC Member
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Basically, if you don't already know what MIPS is, you probably don't need it :).

#16 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7244 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Besides if the members of the GMC can explain it and understand it themselves
then TV doesn't really need to post anything else about it.

I suppose not.... except that it's normally expected that the OP posts his own views on a topic to kick off discussion -- instead of just making an announcement. But that wasn't the main point of my post.

Reading more about the company MIPS Technologies Inc. is interesting. Seems that a number of well-known manufacturers have used their architecture, in general. And noodling around the web, I'm seeing some discussion of MIPS-based Android systems, in particular.

So from a marketing point-of-view (in terms of market growth potential), this move by YYG may be more about the growing influence of Android OS, than about MIPS-based hardware itself. I'll be interested to read what else Sandy has to say about this.

#17 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

Russell mentioned to me that MIPS-based devices are popular in China, and that this move is a bit like testing the waters for them in that regard.

#18 FX62

FX62

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

Lower end tablets and phones, or as I call them, no name products won't be flying off the shelves any time soon. You speak of misinformation, but it's quite possible what you posted yourself could be construed as such. Here in Canada, the big carriers are who make the noise and what sells. Lower end products are not on their list. Big names, such as Samsung Galaxy 3 and the iPhone are in big demand and they're usually back ordered. I haven't seen any of the lower end products, even at the local Walmart. Quite frankly the MIPS version isn't going to add much value for quite a while, until people start purchasing the lower end products just as fast as the high end is today.

#19 True Valhalla

True Valhalla

ಠ_ಠ

• GMC Member
  • 5277 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

You speak of misinformation, but it's quite possible what you posted yourself could be construed as such

The original article is a press release posted by YoYo Games, now also shown in their news stream.

#20 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

I just feel like there are better things they could be doing with their time and resources, like putting out more updates for GMS. I've never heard of whatever this thing is, and they keep trying to port GameMaker to a billion different devices. I think that's great and all, but Studio has been out for a good 7 months and we've had one major update. Studio is great as it is, and I'm sure this move will only yield positive results, but it just seems like most of their updates lately have been releasing the software to bunches of platforms that I don't use and that's kind of boring for me to be honest. :P Sorry I just had to rant when I saw another platform release.

#21 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

I just feel like there are better things they could be doing with their time and resources, like putting out more updates for GMS. I've never heard of whatever this thing is, and they keep trying to port GameMaker to a billion different devices. I think that's great and all, but Studio has been out for a good 7 months and we've had one major update. Studio is great as it is, and I'm sure this move will only yield positive results, but it just seems like most of their updates lately have been releasing the software to bunches of platforms that I don't use and that's kind of boring for me to be honest. :P/>/> Sorry I just had to rant when I saw another platform release.

Studio had MIPS support on day one, you should see this more as a different type of licence rather than a runner port.

Also unless I'm mistaken the 1.2 Studio update is due out in the next few months. :D

Edited by Derme, 06 January 2013 - 05:06 AM.

#22 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 21502 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

I just feel like there are better things they could be doing with their time and resources, like putting out more updates for GMS. I've never heard of whatever this thing is, and they keep trying to port GameMaker to a billion different devices. I think that's great and all, but Studio has been out for a good 7 months and we've had one major update. Studio is great as it is, and I'm sure this move will only yield positive results, but it just seems like most of their updates lately have been releasing the software to bunches of platforms that I don't use and that's kind of boring for me to be honest. Posted Image Sorry I just had to rant when I saw another platform release.

Please don't forget that YoYo Games can be PAID to do ports to different platforms too... So not all export options are chosen by YoYo to create, some are defined by a client who has requested such support be added and the income generated by this is not something that the company can ignore (So if you want an X-Box port, start saving and make them an offer...)

#23 FatalSleep

FatalSleep

FatalSheep?

• GMC Member
  • 3275 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Nocturne... an X-Box port would probably be one of the most bad ass things YoYo
could ever sell! Posted Image I thought iOS export would be nice... until I heard that you need
an apple computer, and a $100 developer license fee.

They should get right to it! I'd make an offer, but I am poor. Haha.

Edited by FatalSleep, 06 January 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#24 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7244 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Lower end tablets and phones, or as I call them, no name products won't be flying off the shelves any time soon. You speak of misinformation, but it's quite possible what you posted yourself could be construed as such. Here in Canada, the big carriers are who make the noise and what sells.

That's why I specifically said "...I don't expect MIPS architectures to dominate the consumer market...".

I agree about the current sales trends in Canada (and Europe and US, etc.) But remember that Canada is a tiny market compared to the emerging Asian / Chinese market. And remember that the first Android 4.0 tablet under $100 was produced in China using MIPS technology, to high demand there.

Quite frankly the MIPS version isn't going to add much value for quite a while, until people start purchasing the lower end products just as fast as the high end is today.

That's true. So YoYo Games has two choices:

1. wait until demand for lower-end products increases, and then try to "catch up".
2. anticipate the market and get a foot in the door now.

Which would a smart company choose? :wink:

Edited by chance, 06 January 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#25 FX62

FX62

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

I agree about the current sales trends in Canada (and Europe and US, etc.) But remember that Canada is a tiny market compared to the emerging Asian / Chinese market. And remember that the first Android 4.0 tablet under $100 was produced in China using MIPS technology, to high demand there.

Quite frankly the MIPS version isn't going to add much value for quite a while, until people start purchasing the lower end products just as fast as the high end is today.

That's true. So YoYo Games has two choices:

1. wait until demand for lower-end products increases, and then try to "catch up".
2. anticipate the market and get a foot in the door now.

Which would a smart company choose? :wink:/>/>

That's somewhat my point. In the asian market, just about everything is copied, but still, are you going to program your game in whichever asian dialect for a MIPS product? I suppose there are options in that regard, but the expense might be too much to bother with.

I don't think lower end product sales will increase. It's the nature of society in the western world. The big phone/cable companies drag everyone around by the nose and thrust their product line on them. So you see everyone with a Galaxy or Iphone, no cheap products. I suppose as Nocturne said, maybe YoYo was paid to make this version.

#26 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7244 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

I don't think lower end product sales will increase. It's the nature of society in the western world. The big phone/cable companies drag everyone around by the nose and thrust their product line on them.

You're right: the western market isn't exactly screaming for cheaper alternatives. It seems hungry for existing high-end smartphone technology. And satisfied with the big producer's products.

But who knows about emerging Chinese and third-world markets? MIPS technology could play a bigger role there, by providing a cheaper alternative to high-end western products. So given that potential, it's definitely worth YoYo Games' effort to get involved with MIPS Technology Inc..

#27 paul23

paul23

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 3834 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I don't think lower end product sales will increase. It's the nature of society in the western world. The big phone/cable companies drag everyone around by the nose and thrust their product line on them.

You're right: the western market isn't exactly screaming for cheaper alternatives. It seems hungry for existing high-end smartphone technology. And satisfied with the big producer's products.

But who knows about emerging Chinese and third-world markets? MIPS technology could play a bigger role there, by providing a cheaper alternative to high-end western products. So given that potential, it's definitely worth YoYo Games' effort to get involved with MIPS Technology Inc..

Well I do know that for clothing/luxury goods actually people say that in asia -and especially china/korea- there is a growing market, where people are much, much more willing to spent a lot of money to get items with a big brand name on it. Read quite a few success stories last year where people had to leave the european market as the customers weren't willing to pay for the brand name anymore. Yet became much more successful than they ever were by going to asia.

#28 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8217 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

I just feel like there are better things they could be doing with their time and resources, like putting out more updates for GMS. I've never heard of whatever this thing is, and they keep trying to port GameMaker to a billion different devices. I think that's great and all, but Studio has been out for a good 7 months and we've had one major update. Studio is great as it is, and I'm sure this move will only yield positive results, but it just seems like most of their updates lately have been releasing the software to bunches of platforms that I don't use and that's kind of boring for me to be honest. Posted Image Sorry I just had to rant when I saw another platform release.

Please don't forget that YoYo Games can be PAID to do ports to different platforms too... So not all export options are chosen by YoYo to create, some are defined by a client who has requested such support be added and the income generated by this is not something that the company can ignore (So if you want an X-Box port, start saving and make them an offer...)

Thanks for the insight, I'm guessing that few if any members even considered that third party contracting was an influencing factor for export creation.

This is another example of a forum member ranting about a YYG decision, when clearly they do not have a complete picture and information that contributes to why the decision was made.

This also demonstrates another YYGs myth that should be ended. Specifically the "Why is YYGs working on this, when they should be working on that". YYGs is not a single person entity any more. They can be working on this while also working on that.

#29 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7244 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Well I do know that for clothing/luxury goods actually people say that in asia -and especially china/korea- there is a growing market, where people are much, much more willing to spent a lot of money to get items with a big brand name on it.

Yes, China has wealthy consumers who want western name brands. But China also has 1.3 Billion people -- and a large fraction of them want affordable value. It's foolish to view Chinese consumers as a single, monolithic group. They aren't.

Likewise, it's important to remember that the world marketplace isn't monolithic either. So whether MIPS-architecture will dominate isn't the point here. The point is that MIPS hardware is just another part of the market. But it's a growing part -- so YYG is wise to recognize this.

Some interesting links about recent MIPS-based products:
New line of Philips entry-level ICS tablets to use MIPS processors

ElectronicsWeekly.com: Ingenic makes first Android 4.0 tablet 4G LTE

Dr. Dobbs: Xamarin Serves MIPS-Based Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

#30 FX62

FX62

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

If it's such a growing market with massive potential that you all seem to be dictating, why would the module be free? Android isn't free, iOS isn't free and they are two massive markets. It should at least make you think for a few moments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users