72 replies to this topic

#61 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 402 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

I'm pretty sure Russel said that in upcoming update they'll add controller support to Android, which will be accessible with the GamePad features.

I'm pretty sure he didnt say that.. this functions were added to introduce PS3 and 360 gamepads compatibility, wich are widely used and GMS lacked support for. Android gamepads are not as important. Altrough I agree this is a step n the right direction before adding any sort of OUYA compatibility :thumbsup:/>/>/>/>

Sorry, I was reading Nocturne's post.

would love the ability to access joystick functions on Andoid :biggrin:

Audio will get fade functions in the next update (both for individual soounds and music I believe), with more things to come as it gets done. Remember the audio should be over-hauled and finished for the 1.2 update which isn't too far away. As for the joystick options, I'm not sure when they will be going in, but I'm sure it'll happen soon. However to say that the lack of joystick support is "crippling" you is an over-reaction I think! The majority of Android games do not support (or even need) joystick support which is probably why it has not has the same attention as other issues.

So I'm assuming it's on the menu for the near future. :)

Edited by Derme, 09 February 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#62 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

I'm pretty sure Russel said that in upcoming update they'll add controller support to Android, which will be accessible with the GamePad features.

I'm pretty sure he didnt say that.. this functions were added to introduce PS3 and 360 gamepads compatibility, wich are widely used and GMS lacked support for. Android gamepads are not as important. Altrough I agree this is a step n the right direction before adding any sort of OUYA compatibility :thumbsup:/>/>/>/>/>/>

Sorry, I was reading Nocturne's post.

would love the ability to access joystick functions on Andoid :biggrin:/>/>

Audio will get fade functions in the next update (both for individual soounds and music I believe), with more things to come as it gets done. Remember the audio should be over-hauled and finished for the 1.2 update which isn't too far away. As for the joystick options, I'm not sure when they will be going in, but I'm sure it'll happen soon. However to say that the lack of joystick support is "crippling" you is an over-reaction I think! The majority of Android games do not support (or even need) joystick support which is probably why it has not has the same attention as other issues.

So I'm assuming it's on the menu for the near future. :)/>/>

Dont get your hopes up....

Infact im fairly confident the users on this forum will have a fix before yoyogames releases one...

Currently myself and another member have made big progress last night and are able to detect all individual controller buttons pressed via the debug output but are working on a few obstacles still... So far so good!!! Looks like the payment stuff should be do-able as well but... like i said we still have a small hurdle at the moment...

Edited by jtn0514, 09 February 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#63 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Keep up the excellent work jtn. I have always been a big advocate of people making software do what they want, not what it should do.

#64 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3474 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

If everything works properly, this week I might be uploading a tutorial on how to include the OUYA ODK and making the controllers work properly, do notice this is not simple stuff, as we had to 'hack' on the runner files to do it (wich is very unstable), and it may take a while to get it working as desired, even more if you have no idea what you are doing.

Also, I havent even considered adding IAP stuff yet, my priority is to get full controllers support before adding anything else, it also depends on the ammount of time me and jtn0514 have to test, as I dont have an OUYA and everything (even debugging!) is being done strough Skype :medieval:/>

Edited by Manuel777, 11 February 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#65 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

Ok guys, ill give a small update. Manuel777 and I were able to get a lot of work done tonight, and we got the entire controller working it seems so far... (But not 100 percent bug free..)

We have some small bugs but we are optimizing a few things to give customizable stuff (dead zones for analog joysticks) and a few other things.

We do have multiple controllers working as well, however testing on a windows or mac (using keyboard) to simulate all 4 controllers in a game might get kinda crazy with the multiple keyboard bindings or mappings....

Anyhow i think the controller stuff is fairly close to completion. Manuel has written quite a few scripts for testing and whatnot and i've been helping as well and loading the code to the ouya and giving him a clear (or atleast i think so) view of the debug window when running via skype and reporting back on program activity on the OUYA itself.

HOPEFULLY once this is done we can look into the payment code and see if it isnt too difficult to get working as well..

The controller modifications for now include the simple ouya-sdk.jar library and modification to the RunnerActivity file at the moment as well as a GMK with a few scripts... Both the ouya library and RunnerActivity files would have to be replaced manually when you update to a new version of GMS as they are erased during software updates.

Ill let manuel chime in with any further stuff if he wishes :)/>/>

Edited by jtn0514, 11 February 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#66 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:22 AM

Found another issue for any of you GM OUYA devs out there...

newest version of GMS 1.1.805 has MAJOR slowdown issues with frame rate (severe)

previous version works perfectly fine (1.1.785)

Edited by jtn0514, 11 February 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#67 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Found another issue for any of you GM OUYA devs out there...

newest version of GMS 1.1.805 has MAJOR slowdown issues with frame rate (severe)

previous version works perfectly fine (1.1.785)

Hello all.

Im sure as you've seen Manuel777 has posted a thread reguarding the initial release of the ouya controller support patch.

We did find a few bugs in this but have sorted them and also have an updated version of this patch to be released. We will post this soon.

The bug that initially was causing the x axis moving on its own under minimal touching of the left analog stick is actually due to bad hardware on one of the test controllers we were using which is in process of being sent back to ouya for replacement. We were seeing upwards of .50 deadzone to make the issue stop which was more than 50 percent of the analog stick resolution being lost!!!

Anyhow, all its working and i have incorporated this into my own games for ouya and is working great so far!!!

In app payment stuff is something we are tossing code at but, i dont know when or if that will be possible just yet. Having game maker studio extensions for android would be VERY helpfull and isnt too far off it looks like.

Stay tuned!

Edited by jtn0514, 13 February 2013 - 10:51 PM.

#68 rafael_lima

rafael_lima

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Manuel, thanx for your efforts, I got my Ouya today, i'll be trying to use your patch tomorrow.

In another note, any ideas of when GM:S will have oficial support for Ouya?At this moment, there's no other feature I want implemented more than this. And I have a feeling it shouldn't be *that* complicated to do it.

#69 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2399 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Manuel, thanx for your efforts, I got my Ouya today, i'll be trying to use your patch tomorrow.

In another note, any ideas of when GM:S will have oficial support for Ouya?At this moment, there's no other feature I want implemented more than this. And I have a feeling it shouldn't be *that* complicated to do it.

I'd like to know this as well actually. Though I'd have a guess it'll be a good couple of months before we see the Ouya and GameStick port (I can see YYG doing both ports together)

Mainly because Legena is going to the big screen and I'm eager to get started!

Plus I want to start producing some examples to help people develop for the consoles.

#70 rafael_lima

rafael_lima

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hey, I managed to make my game work with your patch, Manuel and jtn0514. I could even upload it to the Developer section, and it appears on my "BUILDS" menu in my Ouya. You have to manually add the ouya_icon.png , but it works.

The analog sticks indeed arent't working, and I didn't test the IAP stuff.

It would be great if Yoyo Games could add Ouya support in the next update. If a couple of users could do it with some "hacking" (for the lack of a better word), I really believe the real developers of GM:S could do it pretty quickly.

Do it and let us test! I guess the Ouya community is ready to test stuff and give proper feedback instead of just whine when things don't work:D

I have a game basically fully read to release on Ouya made with GM:S , I'd just need to add the IAP stuff to sell the full game  :D

Anyway, I think I understood what Manuel did with the runner java files. I barely looked at the ODK , but tomorrow I'll try to look into everything and see if I can find out why the sticks aren't working anymore and if I can help at anything with the IAP stuff, though I doubt my Java skills are much better than Manuel's :D

Edited by rafael_lima, 02 June 2013 - 02:30 AM.

#71 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:36 AM

I'd like to know this as well actually. Though I'd have a guess it'll be a good couple of months before we see the Ouya and GameStick port (I can see YYG doing both ports together)

Mainly because Legena is going to the big screen and I'm eager to get started!

Plus I want to start producing some examples to help people develop for the consoles.

Unfortunately many are in the same boat when it comes to publishing on OUYA with gm:s made games...  I personally have 2-3 titles i cant publish due to the issues we ran into with the IAP stuff... Just doesnt make sense to publish it if people cant buy it...

VERY agrivating to say the least. Only thing you can really do is tweak the patch yourself and or wait for YYG to release official support for OUYA.

Edited by jtn0514, 05 June 2013 - 03:40 AM.

#72 gameland

gameland

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hi.

I received my ouya last week. I adapted my game to ouya to upload it. but:

1.- I can play my game directly executing from Game maker studio. my game is istalled to OUYA main menu "MAKE" option.

2.- I can install my game directly by "Create Application" from Game maker studio and put my game in OUYA main menu "PLAY" option. If I put a ouya_icon.png (732 x 412) into "..AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Android\runner\res\drawable-hdpi" this icon appears in ouya game icon.

BUT...

When I create an Application by "Create Application" to upload my game, APK generated doesn't had ouya_icon.png into drawable-hdpi directorie. how to put "automatically or not" ouya icon?

THANKS!!!

:)

Edited by gameland, 04 August 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#73 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hi.

I received my ouya last week. I adapted my game to ouya to upload it. but:

1.- I can play my game directly executing from Game maker studio. my game is istalled to OUYA main menu "MAKE" option.

2.- I can install my game directly by "Create Application" from Game maker studio and put my game in OUYA main menu "PLAY" option. If I put a ouya_icon.png (732 x 412) into "..AppData\Roaming\GameMaker-Studio\Android\runner\res\drawable-hdpi" this icon appears in ouya game icon.

BUT...

When I create an Application by "Create Application" to upload my game, APK generated doesn't had ouya_icon.png into drawable-hdpi directorie. how to put "automatically or not" ouya icon?

THANKS!!!

:)

make a folder in the res folder called drawable-xhdpi and put the ouya_icon.png file inside.

This should fix the issue when compiling to an APK file.

Edited by jtn0514, 08 August 2013 - 09:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users