72 replies to this topic

#31 Hugo_Peters

Hugo_Peters

herp derp

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I HOPE yoyo games is working on this at the moment or its on their list atleast.

https://twitter.com/mdf200/status/283706795925598209

#32 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I HOPE yoyo games is working on this at the moment or its on their list atleast.

Cool!!!

On another note i made some progress... found the other two buttons (O and A)

O is tied to the " ' " symbol apostrophe and A is tied to the lowercase letter a

i used the following as a tiny test of this

if keyboard_check("a") 
{
sound_play(sfx_thud)
}  

Problem is that when i launch the apk on ouya... it plays the sound repeatedly until i press or hold the button. At that point holding or pressing the button interrupts the sound....

So its backwards somewhat. Trying keyboard_check_pressed or released has no effect on the sound however and it just keeps playing repeatedly.

So.... O and A are mapped to ascii chars 96 and 97 on the android keyboard just like the xbox 360 controller but are of no real use due to the issue i explained above. I guess some bastardized code could be written to make it work within that button check.

#33 Hugo_Peters

Hugo_Peters

herp derp

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

if keyboard_check("a") 
{
sound_play(sfx_thud)
}  

Shouldn't that be:
if keyboard_check(ord("A")) 
{
     sound_play(sfx_thud)
}  

#34 nujuat

nujuat

Alex Tritt Games

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ok for anyone that cares, ive received my OUYA devkit today and played around with GM:studio and have been able to load multiple projects of my own to the OUYA for testing...

Things ive found out so far control wise are the arrow keys (vk_up , down, left, right) function as you would expect on the d-pad. The left and right bumpers are the L, and R keys on the keyboard and im still in the process of finding more. Ive been able to load right through ADB into the OUYA os to test.

One thing im somewhat confused about is the key bindings that ive found.... O,U,Y,A on the keyboard dont seem to do anything with the gamepad unfortunately. My guess is they may have used other keys instead, but what im not sure..

GM Studio seems to be almost compatible right out of the box with ouya minus the Payment stuff for your games and the controller stuff is a bit iffy still.

:o

Wow this is awesome!!! What do you need/have for this? I can tell you a lot about iOS dev but with android I am still just a n00b. :P

I've ALWAYS wanted to develop for a console though, and this looks like a great opportunity!!!

#35 Hugo_Peters

Hugo_Peters

herp derp

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Ok for anyone that cares, ive received my OUYA devkit today and played around with GM:studio and have been able to load multiple projects of my own to the OUYA for testing...

Things ive found out so far control wise are the arrow keys (vk_up , down, left, right) function as you would expect on the d-pad. The left and right bumpers are the L, and R keys on the keyboard and im still in the process of finding more. Ive been able to load right through ADB into the OUYA os to test.

One thing im somewhat confused about is the key bindings that ive found.... O,U,Y,A on the keyboard dont seem to do anything with the gamepad unfortunately. My guess is they may have used other keys instead, but what im not sure..

GM Studio seems to be almost compatible right out of the box with ouya minus the Payment stuff for your games and the controller stuff is a bit iffy still.

Wow this is awesome!!! What do you need/have for this? I can tell you a lot about iOS dev but with android I am still just a n00b. :P/>/>

I've ALWAYS wanted to develop for a console though, and this looks like a great opportunity!!!

You would need an OUYA console (http://www.ouya.tv/) and currently the Android module (however, there might be a separate module required for OUYA in the future).

Edited by Hugo_Peters, 16 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#36 nujuat

nujuat

Alex Tritt Games

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Wow this is awesome!!! What do you need/have for this? I can tell you a lot about iOS dev but with android I am still just a n00b. :P/>/>/>/>

You would need an OUYA console (http://www.ouya.tv/) and currently the Android module (however, there might be a separate module required for OUYA in the future).

OK, I guess I'll have a look :)

So no SDK or anything?

Edited by nujuat, 16 January 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#37 Hugo_Peters

Hugo_Peters

herp derp

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Wow this is awesome!!! What do you need/have for this? I can tell you a lot about iOS dev but with android I am still just a n00b. :P/>/>/>/>/>

OK, I guess I'll have a look :)/>

So no SDK or anything?

Currently most of the controller fuctions work through GM:Studio's standard functions (no joystick support so far, though), but YYG will have to implement the SDK to make it fully supported.

#38 rucodemente

rucodemente

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

I really think there's no ground to make OUYA export a separate module... It's an android device after all, so having to pay a FULL export module for a single device would be terrible

#39 Hugo_Peters

Hugo_Peters

herp derp

• GMC Member
  • 493 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I really think there's no ground to make OUYA export a separate module... It's an android device after all, so having to pay a FULL export module for a single device would be terrible

Spoiler

I think they'll release it as a separate module because it is so different is apects of controls, resolution, In-App Purchases and so on.

#40 Greg Squire

Greg Squire

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I think they'll release it as a separate module because it is so different is apects of controls, resolution, In-App Purchases and so on.

I would think they might have to release it as a separate export, because of the reasons Hugo mentioned. However it's a small change to the Android export, so they may just include it in the Android export pricing. (Or possibly a small charge on top of the Android export). But of course I'm not YoYoGames, so I'm just speculating here.

#41 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I doubt it would cost anything additional. It is literally an almost stock Android OS with a non google appstore and a controller map.

#42 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

All that has to be done is to have the OUYA SDK implemented in the Android module, there is no need to make another exporter. I think they should add support before the OUYA launch, but I understand that there are other things on the to-do list at the moment.

#43 Samuel Venable

Samuel Venable

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Can someone please post a tutorial explaining precisely how to get GMS android games working on OUYA? Also I wouldn't encourage YYG to make a module for OUYA, because there is a good chance they'll make that into a separately paid for module. If it already works with the current android export, with very little tweaking involved, I'd say running at 45 FPS and below to be worth it, since all my game run at 30 FPS and that is good enough.

#44 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I think they'll release it as a separate module because it is so different is apects of...

controls

Android's had built-in Joypad support from the 4.0 series up. YoYo needs to improve the Android module's joystick support, not make a new module.

resolution

Android devices already come in a multitude of resolutions (800 x 480, 854 x 480, 1280 x 720, 1280 x 768, 1280 x 800, 1024 x 768, 1920 x 1080, 2560 x 1600, etc...). Coding to compensate for those differences is up to the developer, not the module. Besides, on a console, your choices are much more easily limited: 640 x 480, 1280 x 720, or 1920 x 1080, with the last two easily scaling to fit each other.

In-App Purchases

Google Play and Amazon both use different IAP systems, and the current Android Module already supports them both. There's nothing stopping Yoyo from adding one more system.

and so on.

What else could warrant a new export module? New hardware? It runs on the same processing chip as a dozen other tablets and phones. Perhaps some unique high score or achievement system? The Android Module already covers the Amazon-specific Game Circle. There's nothing preventing adding an Ouya-specific tab to the Android Global Settings menu. What reason is there to make a new module?

#45 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

Cool!!!

On another note i made some progress... found the other two buttons (O and A)

O is tied to the " ' " symbol apostrophe and A is tied to the lowercase letter a

i used the following as a tiny test of this

if keyboard_check("a") 
{
sound_play(sfx_thud)
}  

Problem is that when i launch the apk on ouya... it plays the sound repeatedly until i press or hold the button. At that point holding or pressing the button interrupts the sound....

So its backwards somewhat. Trying keyboard_check_pressed or released has no effect on the sound however and it just keeps playing repeatedly.

So.... O and A are mapped to ascii chars 96 and 97 on the android keyboard just like the xbox 360 controller but are of no real use due to the issue i explained above. I guess some bastardized code could be written to make it work within that button check.

if keyboard_check(ord("A"))
{
sound_play(sfx_thud)
}

Try that. However, it is likely going to be that it won't work because GMS android lacks full hardware keyboard support.

Edited by Arusiasotto, 17 January 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#46 Water Chicken

Water Chicken

Got it memorized?

• GMC Member
  • 1207 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but couldn't one just do something like

show_message(keyboard_lastkey);

in a keyboard anykey event to find all the key codes for the controller? Or maybe just

draw_text(0,24,keyboard_lastkey);

in a draw event?

#47 nujuat

nujuat

Alex Tritt Games

• GMC Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Has anyone seen this?

http://sheltered-cav....herokuapp.com/

It's a jam to get lots of prototype games on the Ouya. If GameMaker Studio for Android works with Ouya, maybe some people here would like to join :) I know I would!

Edited by nujuat, 17 January 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#48 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

Has anyone seen this?

http://sheltered-cav....herokuapp.com/

It's a jam to get lots of prototype games on the Ouya. If GameMaker Studio for Android works with Ouya, maybe some people here would like to join :)/> I know I would!

Yep, ive seen it. I just dont have time with the other games im building to enter into this. No to mention they arent all that playable and im still laying alot of ground work on some of them. GM:S Does work with ouya... to an extent...

#49 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Not sure if this has been suggested yet, but couldn't one just do something like

show_message(keyboard_lastkey);

in a keyboard anykey event to find all the key codes for the controller? Or maybe just

draw_text(0,24,keyboard_lastkey);

in a draw event?

Tried that actually. doesnt work :(

#50 Molinware

Molinware

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Hello, I have made a game for the ouya create contest, using the buttons that jtn0504 have found. I'm trying very hard to found a way to use multiple controllers. Until now I have no results, but looks like it's because a bug on the ouya "anytime state querying" for the controller.
Once this bug is fixed (probabilly on the next version of the ODK) I will try again.

#51 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Unless the player 2 gamepad has seperate key assignments, don't expect too much there. At the moment, GMS doesn't actually read gamepad buttons as gamepad buttons, but as keyboard buttons that these gamepads have been mapped to. Without access to the entire Android Keymap, we are pretty much cutoff unless one of the java people can get a hackstention work around going.

#52 Molinware

Molinware

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Unless the player 2 gamepad has seperate key assignments, don't expect too much there. At the moment, GMS doesn't actually read gamepad buttons as gamepad buttons, but as keyboard buttons that these gamepads have been mapped to. Without access to the entire Android Keymap, we are pretty much cutoff unless one of the java people can get a hackstention work around going.

That's what I'm doing. I am messing around the runner, I have integrated the ouya sdk to game maker. But the sdk is not fully functional yet. This is what stand between me and the 4 controllers.

Edited by Molinware, 30 January 2013 - 11:58 PM.

#53 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

Molinware and i and even Manuel777 have been working on this here and there and the sdk has been able to be included but... nothing works just yet and im assuming its due to the anytime state polling issue Molinware has mentioned above. Currently the best we can do at the moment is 1 player and only use about 65-75 percent of the controller. Its better than nothing for now...

My worry is publishing even if we never figure out the other controller inputs and say you have a game that uses minimal input...

Connecting with the Ouya store to purchase the game is another hurdle as well. I know we do have IAP stuff within gamemaker to allow you to contact the google play store and any other setups. It looks like its requesting almost the exact same stuff that the OUYA IAP example is..

Personally i think the IAP stuff should be top priority because even if the game is finished and playable, it doesnt mean anything if you cant have users download it and purchase if they would like to.

Edited by jtn0514, 30 January 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#54 Greg Squire

Greg Squire

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

OUYA to be sold in stores
It has been in the news lately that the OUYA will be sold in some prominent brick-n-mortar and online stores. This brings a lot of relevance to the console and increases it potential as a revenue producing platform for developers. I know nothing official has been announced as to YoYoGames supporting OUYA, but there are rumblings that this is in the works. I certainly hope that's true as this definitely would be a good thing for everyone (for YoYoGames, for GameMaker Developers, for OUYA, and for OUYA gamers).

#55 jtn0514

jtn0514

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

From everything ive heard they dont seem to consider it very important or something thats worth spending their time on, but this is just speculation based on all ive seen with previous threads and even submitted stuff to their mantis system....

Hopefully im wrong.....

Im sadly stuck here with an ouya dev console and a working game with no way to use half the controller and or payment stuff :(

Ive managed to figure out quite a bit already however to get it working but... GMS is limited in that it just cannot utilize the ouya ODK libraries unfortunately making it somewhat useless....

#56 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:36 AM

From everything ive heard they dont seem to consider it very important or something thats worth spending their time on, but this is just speculation based on all ive seen with previous threads and even submitted stuff to their mantis system....

Hopefully im wrong.....

Im sadly stuck here with an ouya dev console and a working game with no way to use half the controller and or payment stuff :(

Ive managed to figure out quite a bit already however to get it working but... GMS is limited in that it just cannot utilize the ouya ODK libraries unfortunately making it somewhat useless....

I'm pretty sure Russel said that in upcoming update they'll add controller support to Android, which will be accessible with the GamePad features.

#57 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3535 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

I'm pretty sure Russel said that in upcoming update they'll add controller support to Android, which will be accessible with the GamePad features.

I'm pretty sure he didnt say that.. this functions were added to introduce PS3 and 360 gamepads compatibility, wich are widely used and GMS lacked support for. Android gamepads are not as important. Altrough I agree this is a step n the right direction before adding any sort of OUYA compatibility :thumbsup:

#58 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I'm pretty sure he didnt say that.. this functions were added to introduce PS3 and 360 gamepads compatibility, wich are widely used and GMS lacked support for. Android gamepads are not as important. Altrough I agree this is a step n the right direction before adding any sort of OUYA compatibility :thumbsup:/>

Xbox 360 Gamepads were always supported in windows using DirectInput. What they recently added was XInput support instead, which is a newer instruction set. PS3 gamepads as of yet don't support XInput either. As I have stated over and over, we don't need gamepad specific commands for android, since every other android gamepad is different. What we need is full hardware KEYBOARD support, which would allow us to let players assign keys on their gamepads.

#59 mazimadu

mazimadu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

It has been in the news lately that the OUYA will be sold in some prominent brick-n-mortar and online stores. This brings a lot of relevance to the console and increases it potential as a revenue producing platform for developers. I know nothing official has been announced as to YoYoGames supporting OUYA, but there are rumblings that this is in the works. I certainly hope that's true as this definitely would be a good thing for everyone (for YoYoGames, for GameMaker Developers, for OUYA, and for OUYA gamers).

Initially I thought this was going to be a good thing until I remembered that it is Open-Source. Given how large US companies tend to add bloatware to their devices (Think Verizon and AT&T android phones), God knows what Gamestop and target would bundle onto their versions.

#60 Manuel777

Manuel777

InvaderGames

• GMC Member
  • 3535 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

Initially I thought this was going to be a good thing until I remembered that it is Open-Source. Given how large US companies tend to add bloatware to their devices (Think Verizon and AT&T android phones), God knows what Gamestop and target would bundle onto their versions.

Well, you can always root it and do whatever you want with it, most of the crap sellers add should be easily removable after rooting (or depending on how it works, rooting may not even be needed). Also devs already stated that they want users to mess around with the console. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users