rabidmedia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:04 AM

HOARD
Public BETA 01

YoyoGames Download

The game is a simple Platform game straying [slightly] from my usual cutie cartoonie stuff. you play as a young boy, no older than 13, who is called upon by the heavens to fight against the armies of hell. The game features 100% complete and original content, such as sound effects, graphics, animations, and music.
Programmed in Game Maker 5.3a for compatibility. even your older computer can play it fluidly, while newer computers should also play at full frame rate with no unforeseen problems.

This game DOES contain gruesome violence and animated blood, though not nearly as much as I plan to add. :thumbsup:/>/>/>

Game's Features:
-Full-color graphics with detailed animations,
-smooth camera movement and background effects, like rain, painstakingly programmed with no built-in particle effects
-high quality original .s3m music creates high quality sound and lower file size
-difficult but fair balanced game-play
-joystick and gamepad support

lemme know what you guys think! :yes:/>
-
Visit my web site:
Rabidmedia homepage

#2 Spot On J2K

Spot On J2K

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 150 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

The good:

- Neat looking intro
- Nice music

The bad:

- It says to press a button during the cutscene or on the title screen but I pressed every button and the game won't start
- There are a couple of spelling errors in the intro

Please fix the stuff so I can play it! : )

Edit: Also, you may want to warn people that it changes your resolution.

Edited by Spot On J2K, 24 December 2012 - 04:43 AM.

forum_banner.png

#3 rabidmedia

rabidmedia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:14 AM

The good:

- Neat looking intro
- Nice music

The bad:

- It says to press a button during the cutscene or on the title screen but I pressed every button and the game won't start
- There are a couple of spelling errors in the intro

Please fix the stuff so I can play it! : )

Edit: Also, you may want to warn people that it changes your resolution.

the buttons are Z and X
Visit my web site:
Rabidmedia homepage

#4 Spot On J2K

Spot On J2K

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 150 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Ok I was able to start the game, but it took me pressing Z three or four times for some reason. I wasn't able to make it very far despite my best efforts because this game is hard! Here's some stuff:

Good:

- Beautiful background and graphics
- I like the music
- Professional feeling with the intro and stuff

Bad:

- Something feels weird about movement. I don't know if it's that you move too slow or don't jump high enough or what, but I fell into a lot of pits
- The flying skulls seem to appear randomly and don't reset when you die, meaning that you will often get killed by one and then spawn right into another one and die again (this happened to me quite a few times)
- The skulls go the same speed as the player, meaning that if you don't slow down/stop and let them go by, they'll constantly be on your screen as you run through the level
- It's weird how the clouds in the foreground fly by really fast if you run. It may look better if they have a set movement speed regardless of if the player is moving or not

It's a cool game and I can tell you've spent time on it, but I just find it too hard right now. So either there are too many skulls and gaps, or I'm just not very good : P (possibly the latter)

forum_banner.png

#5 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Alright, I tried your game and completed the main game... I guess? When I exited the outdoor part of the grey castle, I got taken to a room with a lot of skulls and a score, which is another gameplay mode, I suppose. So I guess you were using room_next and the game ran out of main game rooms, lol :biggrin:/>

In any case, here's some feedback for you:

*Intro: I found the text to be a bit unclear and messy. And indeed, it didn't state which button to press, so I think you could add it there ("press Z")

*I really don't like the light flashing at rapid speed in the menus. The worst was the high score room with the red flashing bg. To me, it was just annoying, but for some people, it could be a major problem. Please spare the epileptics!

*Okay, so I get to playing the actual game... Before I even get to realise I can move, I'm already killed by an enemy... Wouldn't call that fair! :D

*Where is my pause key? I want my pause key! =(

*The clouds in the foreground are kinda annoying as well because they cover so much ground and many times just distract the player. I got used to it, though. It was a bigger problem in the beginning and will not probably help reeling in new players.

*The screen keeps on scrolling after you die IF you have left/right pressed. Can be fixed easily though.

*Controls are very tight and the character does exactly what I tell him to do. The only 'problem': when hitting, you can't immediately jump when the hitting is taking place. This same way has been used in some successful titles before, though, so I suppose it's just a matter of opinion. I'd still prefer if the attack animation just stopped and the jump would begin right away.

*The music is very fitting!

*The sound effects are very pleasurable to listen to! Nice work!

*The graphics are very detailed and look like a lot of effort has been put into making them. For example, there are a lot of pretty particle effects like the rain drops and the coin sparkles. The backgrounds are also detailed and rich in color. Good work! :)

*I have one complaint about the graphics though (besides the distractions mentioned before): In The yellow/brown area (3rd section, underground palace or something like that) it's a bit hard to tell which part of the level is background and what you can jump on since the coloring of both bg and the actual objects is very similar.

*I think I was able to start a new game with no music playing if I kept on switching between the game window and another windows... Though I'm not 100% sure on this. It was the first time I was playing, so I thought there just wasn't any music.

*Not sure about the enemy spawn method... most of the time I'm only running behind or away from enemies. For example, in the first level I was just running behind two skulls for the whole level.

*Speaking of enemies, there are barely any enemies in the whole game after the first two sections? The only enemies I found after this were near the very end of the game.

*SERIOUS BUG: Try sliding underneath a block (run and crouch) and you'll get stuck (see the picture). Remember how this was handled in Super Mario? If Mario got stuck like this, he was pushed out from below the block. Try any classic Mario game to see what I mean. Also make sure that the character gets pushed out to the correct side. Otherwise, this could be used as a shortcut. Another option would be to take the slide away altogether.

Posted Image

*The conveyor belt in 2nd section feels a little out of place since there's only one of them.

*BUG: Jump and try moving against a corner as you fall down. If you hit the right spot and keep pressing right/left (depending on which side the block is on), you'll be able to stay in the air near a corner of the block and won't be moving to any direction move.

*Why have an energy bar if I die in one hit anyway? =/

I hope this helps! You have a good foundation to work on, but it was a bit hard to judge the game as it is, because this is definitely a game that needs enemies. Currently, there wasn't really much to do, other than collecting coins (of which I had no idea how many I was carrying or what I could do with them...)

In any case, I'll check the future updates!

Edited by Koaske, 29 December 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#6 rabidmedia

rabidmedia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

@ Koaski:
Thank you for your input, the fact is: this is still a VERY early Beta version, and not everything has been accounted for quite yet. some of the bugs are already fixed, such as the skull generator. as far as the ducking slide: I think I'll just get rid of that, and make him stop, I did not Intend him to slide at all, really.
The clouds are supposed to be kinda distracting, it's part of the atmosphere, I could totally fix the background on the 3rd part.
Also if you notice, when you fight the skulls, a few energy balls will fly out, if you get enough, you will become invincible for a moment, and you can extend this invincibility by continuing to collect the energy, that's what the energy bar is for. as for the amount of enemies, it's in the works, and I've already inserted another, less random, enemy. tons more pixel art has been made for enemies and items.
the conveyor belt is put there as more or less a test object and will be eliminated in the full Level 1 demo.
Anyway, thanks for your honest input, and your suggestions will be taken into consideration!
Visit my web site:
Rabidmedia homepage