9 replies to this topic

#1 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

Howdy folks, Tetiro here again. Whilst Legena is being the main bulk of the dev team, I fancied doing a small project as well for the Android. This time I went for a new genre as I've always been doing RPGs. I went with a puzzle platformer this time.

Leon

Leon_Screenshot_1-1.png
[2] [3] [4] [5]

In this game, you must use wits and paint balls to help Leon progress through the levels. There are forty levels in total. As you progress through the game, you get new paints. Each with a unique ability. The first paint is the Brown Paint which allows you to paint crates into the level. Providing you have enough paint of course!

Specifications
Category : Puzzle Platformer
File Size : 7.5 MB
GM Version : 8.0 (Alongside GMS to ensure porting capability)
Vista Compatible? : Unknown
Fullscreen : Yes
Screen Resolution : 240 x 160

Controls
In the future, this will be ported to android and iOS due to it's simplicity and easy porting. But as we haven't got there yet, the keyboard functions have been left in for the movement and jumping. And for using paint too.

Arrow Keys : Move Left/Right
Space : Jump
Z/C : Switch Paint
X : Use Paint

Pretty simple huh? Read the Booklet provided with the Full Version .zip for a good know how on how to play

Full Version

Full Version 1.0.2 [15/09/2013]

Full Version 1.0.1 [18/07/2013]

Full Version 1.0.0 [14/12/2012]

Demos
Demo #1 : Whole of World #1 [25/04/2012]
Demo #1.1 : Whole of World #1 and 3 levels of World #2 [14/05/2012]
Demo #2 : Whole of Worlds #1, #2, #3 and #4[15/05/2012]
Demo #4 : Everything excluding Music and Credits[03/06/2012]

Misc
There are a few points to know.

• It is a small project. So don't expect it to be as long as Legena
  • There are no graphic rules for this project
  • It's meant to be for all ages hence it's simplistic story
  • Just have fun with it!

Anywho I'd like feedback on the following

• Were the levels too easy? Too hard?
  • Any bugs? Glitches? Crashes?
  • What could have been done to improve it?
  • Does the Booklet provide any help?

Hope you guys enjoy it!
Regards,
Tetiro

Edited by King Tetiro, 15 September 2013 - 06:34 PM.

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!
LND_Twitter_Icon.png Leon_Topic_Icon.png

Leon [PC]  | |Texture Page Calculator for GMStudio | Analog Sticks for GMStudio

#2 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Excellent game! I had an idea similar to this awhile back. I didn't beat it, but I got somewhere after getting the paint brush that allows me to destroy blocks.

The paint brushes were nice, but I wish there was a little more variety. As a mobile game, this will do just fine. The music was nice and wasn't annoying to listen to over and over again and the graphics were fine as well.

#3 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

This is a pretty good game. It's a basic platform game, but the paintbrush idea adds an innovative twist to the game play.

The controls were OK -- although the intro screen on Demo #1 said "press Jump to jump". Is that a typo, or is there a specific key for "jumping" on Android / iOS mobile devices? (Not a big deal... since you gave instructions in the post.) The control / response felt pretty good. I usually have trouble with tricky jumps to narrow platforms, but I was able to do this OK. So I'd say the challenge is about right.

The graphics looked pretty good too. Standard pixel graphics, but consistently drawn. My only issue was the size of the screen. I understand you're targeting mobile devices... but 240 x 160 looks very tiny on my Windows monitor. And unfortunately, I couldn't hear the music. But that's my computer sound card's fault. It has problems with some of the sound types in GM.

Still, a good game overall, so +1. Good luck with your mobile version. :)

#4 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

Excellent game! I had an idea similar to this awhile back. I didn't beat it, but I got somewhere after getting the paint brush that allows me to destroy blocks.

The paint brushes were nice, but I wish there was a little more variety. As a mobile game, this will do just fine. The music was nice and wasn't annoying to listen to over and over again and the graphics were fine as well.

More variety? I'll keep that noted for future games! I was hoping the music wouldn't be annoying so it's a relief to hear that! Same with the graphics.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the game!

This is a pretty good game. It's a basic platform game, but the paintbrush idea adds an innovative twist to the game play.

The controls were OK -- although the intro screen on Demo #1 said "press Jump to jump". Is that a typo, or is there a specific key for "jumping" on Android / iOS mobile devices? (Not a big deal... since you gave instructions in the post.) The control / response felt pretty good. I usually have trouble with tricky jumps to narrow platforms, but I was able to do this OK. So I'd say the challenge is about right.

The graphics looked pretty good too. Standard pixel graphics, but consistently drawn. My only issue was the size of the screen. I understand you're targeting mobile devices... but 240 x 160 looks very tiny on my Windows monitor. And unfortunately, I couldn't hear the music. But that's my computer sound card's fault. It has problems with some of the sound types in GM.

Still, a good game overall, so +1. Good luck with your mobile version. :)/>

Glad to hear it chance!

Demo #1 Jump : Did I? Haha that's a mistake on my half lol Hopefully it's not in the Finished Version?

Good to hear the challenge is about right! As for the Screen Size, you can press F4 to adjust the screen size. It'll increase up until Full Screen. It should help!

Thanks for the +1 and thanks! I can't wait to finish up the mobile version :D

If I have provided feedback on a game of yours, it would be epic if you do the same!

#5 Mr. RPG

Mr. RPG

GMC's Forum Troll

• GMC Member
  • 3227 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

It's been a little while since I last played this game, but have you thought about creating this as a HTML5 game and then licensing it to publishers? You may make more money that way. Of course I am sure it would do well on the mobile marketplace for iOS and Android as well. Just something to look at. Posted Image

#6 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

It's been a little while since I last played this game, but have you thought about creating this as a HTML5 game and then licensing it to publishers? You may make more money that way. Of course I am sure it would do well on the mobile marketplace for iOS and Android as well. Just something to look at. Posted Image

Sorry for the long delay to this response!

An HTML5 game? That wouldn't be a bad idea. I may look into that! Nice idea!

Licensing to Publishers? How do you mean?

Still no great progress on the Android version. I'm still waiting for .ogg support in GMS. How long away is that?

#7 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Ladies and gents, I bring a new version!

---Changes from 1.0.0---
- Two of the paint colours have been changed so it's easier to tell the difference between them
- For platforms that you can toggle on and off, you can now tell if they're toggle-able when solid
- In Level 2, you are given the hint that you need to backtrack for certain brushes
- Increased Jump Height
- Plants now have a height indicator so you can tell how high they will grow
- The talks with Monli can now be skipped by pressing Z,X or Space
- If your inventory is empty and you collect a paint pot, it will auto equip the paint
- The jumping boundry on the top border of the level has been increased, allowing for easier jumps
- Monli now disappears before level starts
- Add an Escape key so you can quit levels and the game at the press of a key
- If you are near a Portal, you can see what Portal it is linked to
- Level 31 has had a design modification
- Level 40 has been completely redesigned, giving a more fitting climax to the game

And I already have plans for version 1.0.2
- A more keyboard friendly menu system
- Work on the Android version
- More efforts to fix the Push Block bug

Enjoy the update!

#8 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

No longer planning work on for the OUYA. I want to focus on Legena

Edited by King Tetiro, 04 March 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#9 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2549 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hey guys! I've finally updated Leon. This will be the last version for PC and the only other version will be for the Ouya once I can finish testing and touching up parts for that version. After that, Legena is my prime focus!

Full Version 1.0.2 [15/09/2013]

#10 decroded

decroded

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 594 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:07 AM

IMO from a glance, you should lower the saturation and contrast of the background.

Don't forget to +1 if I have helped you ========>