53 replies to this topic

#1 JoshLS

JoshLS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hey. I used to publish my games to the sandbox years ago but since yoyogames.com took over i've stayed away..

Is the sandbox dead or what? Anyone still use it..?

#2 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yea. People still use it.

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/

Edited by A!ex, 21 October 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#3 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4066 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

The sandbox still an excellent source of Catch the Clown and 1945 clones, yes.

1Amdi.png Swxmo.png RDHEw.png 17Ezd.png

#4 RedChu

RedChu

Demented Misanthrope

• GMC Elder
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

It's not dead, but it's not nearly as active as it used to be. With the removal of the Sandbox as YoYo Games' homepage, activity has decreased; apparently some people can't find the link to the Sandbox, or they just don't know the old site is now referred to as Sandbox. Activity has further decreased with the removal of the old YoYo Games Forums.

With that said, approximately 80 games were uploaded yesterday, so it's definitely not dead.

#5 Chris_Devl

Chris_Devl

The Next Gabe Newell

• GMC Member
  • 326 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Not to mention the removal of instant play and introduction of steam workshop.

Edited by Chris_Devl, 21 October 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#6 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8591 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hey. I used to publish my games to the sandbox years ago but since yoyogames.com took over i've stayed away..

Is the sandbox dead or what? Anyone still use it..?

This doesn't make sense.

There was no Sandbox prior to YYGs taking over.

keep_crap_150_zpsd7af69c5.png

#7 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

apparently some people can't find the link to the Sandbox, or they just don't know the old site is now referred to as Sandbox.

That's me... I didn't find out until just a few months ago that the Sandbox and the old site are the same thing. And the fact that the link isn't obvious doesn't help.
Also, not sure if this has contributed to the decline, but YoYo Games no longer has the Instant Play or whatever it was called.

Edited by dannyjenn, 21 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#8 JoshLS

JoshLS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

I see, this makes sense thanks.

It's not dead, but it's not nearly as active as it used to be. With the removal of the Sandbox as YoYo Games' homepage, activity has decreased; apparently some people can't find the link to the Sandbox, or they just don't know the old site is now referred to as Sandbox. Activity has further decreased with the removal of the old YoYo Games Forums.

With that said, approximately 80 games were uploaded yesterday, so it's definitely not dead.

#9 primary686

primary686

Still learning code

• GMC Member
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Sandbox is not dead, it's a good  opportunity for amateur game creators to publish their work, like I. :sweat:  

Spoiler
Kk7hbm9.pngnGm2JJk.png <p> 

#10 everydayghost

everydayghost

Break Free

• GMC Member
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thank you, this year-old topic DESPERATELY needed that useless reply.

Watching the world burn.
Dancing in the flames.

#11 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yup, YYG is going to make a html5 portal soon.

The Sandbox was pretty OP, but I understand why too.

I recently created a portal similar to that of the old Sandbox, except you are paid similar to the way YouTube pays content creators. There are already some great games added to the site.

You can check it out via <LINK REMOVED> and while you're there checkout our Games Page <LINK REMOVED> and maybe even add your own game.

Please note, fan games aren't allowed and content must be approved.

Edited by Nocturne, 05 October 2013 - 07:44 PM.
Blatent self-publicity that has nothing to do with the real topic removed.

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#12 Comix Blade

Comix Blade

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

I find the Sandbox to be more or less a place to hide your gems of creativity.

Comix-Blade%20comic%20book%20button_zpsfComix-Blade%20twitter%20button_zpsktylziComix-Blade%20Facebook%20button_zpsts2ae 

#13 no92

no92

GMC Member

• 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Sandbox is dead, find yourself a alternative. I would recommend GameJolt.

#14 Windows98

Windows98

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I would consider it dead today because back in 2012 the site was still very active until the search bar was broke for 2 months and the report system being broken. The worst part are the downraters crawling everywhere.

539635_246631135489218_1043712634_n.jpg                                                       

#15 JRA

JRA

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

I believe it's dead.  Just look at the games on the landing page.  Most of them were made in 2011 or earlier, with a few 2012 games and two or three 2013 games.  These newest games have less than 400 downloads apiece.

YoYo Games apparently didn't touch the sandbox much, either, because the title on the landing page still says "YoYo Games | Home".

#16 Excalibur333

Excalibur333

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Sadly it's dead. I wish Yoyogames would do something similar but make it better this time. I loved the sandbox when it was in it's prime.

OsRsy9m.png pqe3LGj.png

#17 syntaxibles

syntaxibles

Vault Dweller

• GMC Member
  • 966 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

YOYO games needs to assign a new team of administrators and moderators to the sandbox, nothing on the main page changes ever..

+rep me if you dig my stuff :-)

#18 Oldschoolgamer69

Oldschoolgamer69

GMC Member

• 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

I still use it to download older classic stuff, but a lot of the newer games on their are very noobish. Not to mention the site is full of downraters, and yes, even upraters who vote up games that have zero plays/downloads just to be mindless/faceless trolls

#19 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

Permanent Resident

• GMC Member
  • 2903 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

I love these necro posts. Apparently the sandbox flat-lined a year ago when this thread started. :)

#20 Rockyfelle

Rockyfelle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Werent they making a new sandbox?

_UNDEFINED

Sometimes I just wanna giveExkakxWord4.giftoExkakxWord1.gifExkakxWord2.gifuntil itExkakxWord3.gifme

By reading this signature you take full responsibility for any emotional damage/butthurt it might cause you.

#21 Leafen

Leafen

ODST-511

• GMC:Member
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

Yes, but the new sandbox hasn't been finished/released.

#22 Rockyfelle

Rockyfelle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Ah, good thing, its not only going to be hmtl5 though right? Cause then ALOT of good games would be lost...

_UNDEFINED

Sometimes I just wanna giveExkakxWord4.giftoExkakxWord1.gifExkakxWord2.gifuntil itExkakxWord3.gifme

By reading this signature you take full responsibility for any emotional damage/butthurt it might cause you.

#23 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8591 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

Ah, good thing, its not only going to be hmtl5 though right? Cause then ALOT of good games would be lost...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

#24 Rockyfelle

Rockyfelle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

As most people do, I would also think losing alot of good games would be a bad thing -.-

_UNDEFINED

#25 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8591 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

As most people do, I would also think losing alot of good games would be a bad thing -.-

Of the games on the Sandbox the absolute majority are absolute crap and tutorial edits.

Of the remaining games that are playable, why do you assume that the sandbox is the only place they're hosted?

Of the remaining games that are only available on the sandbox, why do you assume the creator will not host it elsewhere?

And that doesn't even consider the fact that games on the sandbox also exist in download form on many peoples hard drives.

The only games that will be lost are the ones nobody bothers to download and the creator has abandoned.

Why is is YYGs obligation to host these games perpetually? Especially the ones that nobody plays and even the creator has abandoned.

If you believe these games need to be saved, you save them and pay for the hosting costs.

#26 Rockyfelle

Rockyfelle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

Of the games on the Sandbox the absolute majority are absolute crap and tutorial edits.

Of the remaining games that are playable, why do you assume that the sandbox is the only place they're hosted?

Of the remaining games that are only available on the sandbox, why do you assume the creator will not host it elsewhere?

And that doesn't even consider the fact that games on the sandbox also exist in download form on many peoples hard drives.

The only games that will be lost are the ones nobody bothers to download and the creator has abandoned.

Why is is YYGs obligation to host these games perpetually? Especially the ones that nobody plays and even the creator has abandoned.

If you believe these games need to be saved, you save them and pay for the hosting costs.

You dont seem to understand my point, which is what would happen if they switched to ONLY html5, the sandbox should be created to host the best of gmc, which would not be avaliable too much if it was only hmtl5.

_UNDEFINED

#27 LukanSpellweaver

LukanSpellweaver

Rainbow Wizard

• GMC Member
  • 3025 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

I loved the old sandbox(eh, kind of...). I can't afford the HTML5 module for my GM:S(which I got on sale WITH the upgrade discount... $25 for pro), so YYGs making a new sandbox that only caters to one non standard module is absurd to me. I don't believe they would do that.

TTpx3bbv.png

Find me on Itch.io | GameJolt | YouTube | Twitter | Facebook | Website | Ask.FM

#28 Rockyfelle

Rockyfelle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

I loved the old sandbox(eh, kind of...). I can't afford the HTML5 module for my GM:S(which I got on sale WITH the upgrade discount... $25 for pro), so YYGs making a new sandbox that only caters to one non standard module is absurd to me. I don't believe they would do that.

Agreed, that would be a... different desicion

_UNDEFINED

#29 GJH105775

GJH105775

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I still use sandbox, of course I have been using scince Game Maker 6.0.  This is my first time logging onto GMC in a while, over a year

Edited by GJH105775, 19 November 2013 - 11:56 AM.

<html> <body>Be gone alien scum!!<body/><html/>

#30 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8591 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

I still use sandbox, of course I have been using it before Game Maker 6.0.  This is my first time logging onto GMC in a while, over a year.

YYGs bought GameMaker at about the time GM 7.0 was released. The Sandbox was created approximately 6 months after that.

#31 Alvare

Alvare

Allrounder

• GMC Member
  • 1591 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Lol I was getting bored of it anyway. :whistling:

Yoyogames should clean up the sandbox a bit from all those clones and weird ****.

:heidy:

#32 Brawl

Brawl

Magnitude Games

• Local Moderators
  • 1299 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:58 AM

The sandbox is dead in the same way that Joan Rivers is dead. Still walking around, looking the same as ever, but not really doing anything particularly interesting, and occupying useful space.

#33 Nafees

Nafees

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

Now it is not possible to upload games on the sandbox :( 

after entering all the game's information and clicking next button a message says that the sandbox is under construction. so it is impossible.

#34 Rockyfelle

Rockyfelle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

after entering all the game's information and clicking next button a message says that the sandbox is under construction. so it is impossible.

Its under construction? Thats an awsome thing :)!

_UNDEFINED

#35 Weegeesquare

Weegeesquare

Rui the panda-cat

• GMC Member
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:02 AM

Works fine for me. Maybe only certain users can use it...

Edited by Weegeesquare, 16 December 2013 - 04:03 AM.

#36 Nitemare38

Nitemare38

Artist & Writer

• GMC Member
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

rocky felle 185, when you quote someone, don't quote a chain of quotes because then the post get way to long for no reason.

Whenever the sand box is under construction that means the website is undergoing temperary changes. try again later and it should work.

On June 26th, I updated River Wars 1.5 again! If you like Chess, Checkers, and Fire Emblem, you'll love this! http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=656298&hl=

Games in Order of Priority: Paper Soul Theater, River Wars 1.5, Planetoid Friends, Everlasting Night, DOS Do-Over, Scribble Mini Quest, Hippie Business Balloon

My Gaming Commentary Channel: http://www.zippcast....ser/captainNnif I often play Game Maker Community games, especially jam games.

#37 Rockyfelle

Rockyfelle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1061 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

rocky felle 185, when you quote someone, don't quote a chain of quotes because then the post get way to long for no reason.

Whenever the sand box is under construction that means the website is undergoing temperary changes. try again later and it should work.

Neh, quoting is fun

_UNDEFINED

#38 billslemonpies

billslemonpies

GMC Member

• 0 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

A brief history of the Sandbox: 

2006-2009: The Golden era of gaming. In this time period, the Sandbox was a haven for gaming enthusiasts of all sorts. Features were updated, Contests were held, and the site was very well maintained. This was also the era in which the spam wars were fought in (hege - best character i ever knew).

2010-2011: After the spam wars were finished, site activity began to decrease and mods began leaving the site. Yoyo Games also began dropping support gradually. And updates were less common.

2012-2013: The TROLL Ages. TROLL was founded as an organization to help boost the morale and spirit of gamers across the Sandbox. It is currently the driving force behind the site.

2014-: The Final Ages: As rumors of a new Sandbox appear, nearly all support has been dropped to the site. Activity is at an all time low. Over each of these ages, members have come and gone. Barely any have successfully survived for two or more.

I loved this site, why did it have to get ruined?

Edited by chance, 21 May 2014 - 01:23 PM.
readability and clarity

#39 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

Not Lawsome

• GMC Member
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:20 PM

And unnoticed gems will be lost forever if they do.
whappatdy dappedy doo

#40 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8201 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

Whatever Yoyo do in the future, I'd like them to give some warning if they take down the sandbox. I can name at least two or three games that I would sorely miss if the sandbox were taken down without warning (They have no other downloads as far as I am aware), and also the sandbox is the last backup for several of my oldest games ...

I'd download and save those games now.  The handwriting is on the wall, so why wait?

Actually, I'm not sure what the handwriting says.    On one hand, YoYo Games has distanced themselves from the sandbox.  No links from their main page, not much support, etc.  On the other hand, people are still allowed to upload games.  About 10-20 per day lately.

If YYG plans to take the site down, one would think they'd close it to further uploads -- just to minimize the impact.  But since it's still open, it makes me think YYG plans to keep it.

So the signals are mixed.  But hey, that's actually good for the GMC.  Because we love to speculate about YYG's next move. 

#41 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Not speedchuck

• GMC Member
  • 7547 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

So the signals are mixed.  But hey, that's actually good for the GMC.  Because we love to speculate about YYG's next move.

And that's good for YYG, because they like to steal my ideas.

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian
http://ask.fm/AnUntitledAbridger

#42 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8591 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Whatever Yoyo do in the future, I'd like them to give some warning if they take down the sandbox. I can name at least two or three games that I would sorely miss if the sandbox were taken down without warning (They have no other downloads as far as I am aware), and also the sandbox is the last backup for several of my oldest games (The source files long lost in the mad shuffle of computer crashes, computer changes, and computer calamities since I made them.)

Taking down the sandbox is acceptable. Just give us some warning first, to backup what we want.

The role of the sandbox has never been cloud storage for GameMaker users.

#43 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8201 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

The role of the sandbox has never been cloud storage for GameMaker users.

(emphasis added)

True.  It's definitely not cloud storage.  It's more like atmospheric pollution.  Which brings us full circle to an earlier question:  namely,  should whatever replaces the Sandbox be open to all?  

Personally, I wouldn't recommend that.  If that policy is kept, YYG might as well just keep the existing Sandbox. 

#44 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

should whatever replaces the Sandbox be open to all?

If it's not opened to everyone, then what would you recommend?  Not every game that gets submitted can go through moderator review (that's just too many games), so that idea is out the window.

The showcase?  I'm going to go through it and list on every developer/publisher I've heard of (on the GMC) that's in the showcase.

Panic Art Studios

SunnyKatt (don't even know if active on GMC)

Shaun Spalding (kind of)

Kikiwik (kind of as well)

Parabox Games

There are 62 games, let's say 50 publishers, and I've only heard from 10% of them on the GMC.  Okay, so maybe they just aren't as active, or I don't recognize their publisher name but would know their member name.  Let's say the showcase started one year ago (there are games that were there before that aren't currently there, so THIS showcase).  In 365 days, we get 62 games.  On the sandbox, It was more like 62000+ a year.  Take out tutorial edits, and 50000 a year.  Still not convinced?  We get about 60 games from the GMCJam (yes I know not every game that's entered is a serious or good entry).  About as much as the show case (that's ONE Jam).  We get who knows how many more from LD GM users.

#45 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8591 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

should whatever replaces the Sandbox be open to all?

If it's not opened to everyone, then what would you recommend?  Not every game that gets submitted can go through moderator review (that's just too many games), so that idea is out the window.

Because this premise is flawed.

You're taking the numbers of submissions for the current Sandbox, which has no standards and publishes everything, and inferring that the new Sandbox will have the same kind of numbers. That doesn't have to be the case.

If the new Sandbox had a very high Standard of games that made it through the moderation process, than the number of submitted games would drop considerably. Once the membership became aware that few games got approved, and once the general membership started seeing the quality of games that did make it through, that would further reduce the amount of submissions.

So no, that idea is not out the window.

The new Sandbox could also be an HTML5 only platform. Recall, that one of the original attractions of the Early Sandbox was Instant Play. A lot of Players liked being able to play the games, without a formal download. This feature is inherently built into HTML5 and is an attractive quality for all online game play sites.

I would guess that YYGs does not want a repeat of the current sandbox with the new sandbox. They want a site with a bunch of high quality games that give Studio a positive reputation. The existing Sandbox does nothing towards that. 

#46 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8201 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

The showcase?  I'm going to go through it and list on every developer/publisher I've heard of (on the GMC) that's in the showcase.

Panic Art Studios

SunnyKatt (don't even know if active on GMC)

Shaun Spalding (kind of)

Kikiwik (kind of as well)

Parabox Games

There are 62 games, let's say 50 publishers, and I've only heard from 10% of them on the GMC.

(emphasis mine)

I don't think that's relevant.  Whether they are active on the GMC has no bearing on their quality.

As for my recommendation -- I recommend removing the Sandbox and not replacing it.  I agree a heavily moderated acceptance process might work.  But I don't think it's practical, or worth the effort.  And the effort would be HUGE.

I think YoYo Games is doing just fine with their current showcase system.  Granted, it doesn't give average users much opportunity to publish, but that's not YYG's responsibility.  But it puts GameMaker in a good light, and that's more important.

#47 roytheshort

roytheshort

The Village Idiot

• GMC Member
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

I still use sandbox, of course I have been using it before Game Maker 6.0.  This is my first time logging onto GMC in a while, over a year.

YYGs bought GameMaker at about the time GM 7.0 was released. The Sandbox was created approximately 6 months after that.

Source

Just in case GJH asked for it.

2006-2009: The Golden era of gaming. In this time period, the Sandbox was a haven for gaming enthusiasts of all sorts. Features were updated, Contests were held, and the site was very well maintained. This was also the era in which the spam wars were fought in (hege - best character i ever knew).

Odd that, it didn't exist then. See above link.

Edited by roytheshort, 22 May 2014 - 04:43 PM.

Clowns

Roytheshort.jpg

#48 billslemonpies

billslemonpies

GMC Member

• 0 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

Maybe 2007 - 2009.

Once upon a time it was a golden haven for gaming. Just look at the stats on the sandbox. Billions of games played. I'm sure the new YYGs gets little to no activity in comparison with what the sandbox used to.

R.I.P.

#49 smash ball

smash ball

Volcanic Light

• GMC Member
  • 2389 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

My point isn't that they don't have quality, or that they have to be active on the GMC.  My point is there are many on the GMC who make games, and that would be the place we would go to to put our games and stuff on there.  However, I feel that the current showcase...is probably too hard for many to get into.  I'm not saying there can't be a showcase (or that the current showcase's standards have to be changed), but new sandbox would have to have different standards.

Also that if there was moderation, what happens to the beginners who actually try to make games to the best of their ability?  How is it going to be moderated as to what is let through and what isn't?  Currently, YYG doesn't support that option, which is a bit misleading since their cheaper line of GMS is perfect for beginners.

Hopefully that gets my point across a bit better.

#50 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

Not speedchuck

• GMC Member
  • 7547 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yeah, the new sandbox showcase would probably need to have even higher standards.

Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?131124npmp3.png Awesome-120110725-22047-1faqsqh.gif?1311

Mirrors Avatar by Stubbjax1337. 3000. 3999. 4444. Karoshi 2.0 custom levels. religious belief time: christian
http://ask.fm/AnUntitledAbridger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users