54 replies to this topic

#1 JoshLS

JoshLS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 56 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hey. I used to publish my games to the sandbox years ago but since yoyogames.com took over i've stayed away..

Is the sandbox dead or what? Anyone still use it..?

#2 AlexTM

AlexTM

GMC Member?

• GMC:Member
  • 1437 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yea. People still use it.

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/

Edited by A!ex, 21 October 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#3 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4041 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

The sandbox still an excellent source of Catch the Clown and 1945 clones, yes.

#4 RedChu

RedChu

Demented Misanthrope

• Global Moderators
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

It's not dead, but it's not nearly as active as it used to be. With the removal of the Sandbox as YoYo Games' homepage, activity has decreased; apparently some people can't find the link to the Sandbox, or they just don't know the old site is now referred to as Sandbox. Activity has further decreased with the removal of the old YoYo Games Forums.

With that said, approximately 80 games were uploaded yesterday, so it's definitely not dead.

#5 Chris_Devl

Chris_Devl

The Next Gabe Newell

• GMC Member
  • 326 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Not to mention the removal of instant play and introduction of steam workshop.

Edited by Chris_Devl, 21 October 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#6 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8334 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hey. I used to publish my games to the sandbox years ago but since yoyogames.com took over i've stayed away..

Is the sandbox dead or what? Anyone still use it..?

This doesn't make sense.

There was no Sandbox prior to YYGs taking over.

#7 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

apparently some people can't find the link to the Sandbox, or they just don't know the old site is now referred to as Sandbox.

That's me... I didn't find out until just a few months ago that the Sandbox and the old site are the same thing. And the fact that the link isn't obvious doesn't help.
Also, not sure if this has contributed to the decline, but YoYo Games no longer has the Instant Play or whatever it was called.

Edited by dannyjenn, 21 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#8 JoshLS

JoshLS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

I see, this makes sense thanks.

It's not dead, but it's not nearly as active as it used to be. With the removal of the Sandbox as YoYo Games' homepage, activity has decreased; apparently some people can't find the link to the Sandbox, or they just don't know the old site is now referred to as Sandbox. Activity has further decreased with the removal of the old YoYo Games Forums.

With that said, approximately 80 games were uploaded yesterday, so it's definitely not dead.

#9 primary686

primary686

Still learning code

• GMC Member
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Sandbox is not dead, it's a good  opportunity for amateur game creators to publish their work, like I. :sweat:  

#10 everydayghost

everydayghost

Break Free

• GMC Member
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thank you, this year-old topic DESPERATELY needed that useless reply.

#11 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4098 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yup, YYG is going to make a html5 portal soon.

The Sandbox was pretty OP, but I understand why too.

I recently created a portal similar to that of the old Sandbox, except you are paid similar to the way YouTube pays content creators. There are already some great games added to the site.

You can check it out via <LINK REMOVED> and while you're there checkout our Games Page <LINK REMOVED> and maybe even add your own game.

Please note, fan games aren't allowed and content must be approved.

Edited by Nocturne, 05 October 2013 - 07:44 PM.
Blatent self-publicity that has nothing to do with the real topic removed.

#12 Comix Blade

Comix Blade

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 86 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

I find the Sandbox to be more or less a place to hide your gems of creativity.

#13 no92

no92

GMC Member

• 9 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Sandbox is dead, find yourself a alternative. I would recommend GameJolt.

#14 Windows98

Windows98

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

I would consider it dead today because back in 2012 the site was still very active until the search bar was broke for 2 months and the report system being broken. The worst part are the downraters crawling everywhere.

#15 JRA

JRA

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

I believe it's dead.  Just look at the games on the landing page.  Most of them were made in 2011 or earlier, with a few 2012 games and two or three 2013 games.  These newest games have less than 400 downloads apiece.

YoYo Games apparently didn't touch the sandbox much, either, because the title on the landing page still says "YoYo Games | Home".

#16 Excalibur333

Excalibur333

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 448 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Sadly it's dead. I wish Yoyogames would do something similar but make it better this time. I loved the sandbox when it was in it's prime.

#17 syntaxibles

syntaxibles

Vault Dweller

• GMC Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

YOYO games needs to assign a new team of administrators and moderators to the sandbox, nothing on the main page changes ever..

#18 Oldschoolgamer69

Oldschoolgamer69

GMC Member

• 12 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

I still use it to download older classic stuff, but a lot of the newer games on their are very noobish. Not to mention the site is full of downraters, and yes, even upraters who vote up games that have zero plays/downloads just to be mindless/faceless trolls

#19 Lonewolff

Lonewolff

GMC Member

• 2158 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

I love these necro posts. Apparently the sandbox flat-lined a year ago when this thread started. :)

#20 rockyfelle185

rockyfelle185

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1022 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Werent they making a new sandbox?

#21 Lan shade

Lan shade

Underrated

• 489 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

Yes, but the new sandbox hasn't been finished/released.

#22 rockyfelle185

rockyfelle185

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1022 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

Ah, good thing, its not only going to be hmtl5 though right? Cause then ALOT of good games would be lost...

#23 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8334 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

Ah, good thing, its not only going to be hmtl5 though right? Cause then ALOT of good games would be lost...

You say that like it's a bad thing.

#24 rockyfelle185

rockyfelle185

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

As most people do, I would also think losing alot of good games would be a bad thing -.-

#25 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8334 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

As most people do, I would also think losing alot of good games would be a bad thing -.-

Of the games on the Sandbox the absolute majority are absolute crap and tutorial edits.

Of the remaining games that are playable, why do you assume that the sandbox is the only place they're hosted?

Of the remaining games that are only available on the sandbox, why do you assume the creator will not host it elsewhere?

And that doesn't even consider the fact that games on the sandbox also exist in download form on many peoples hard drives.

The only games that will be lost are the ones nobody bothers to download and the creator has abandoned.

Why is is YYGs obligation to host these games perpetually? Especially the ones that nobody plays and even the creator has abandoned.

If you believe these games need to be saved, you save them and pay for the hosting costs.

#26 rockyfelle185

rockyfelle185

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

Of the games on the Sandbox the absolute majority are absolute crap and tutorial edits.

Of the remaining games that are playable, why do you assume that the sandbox is the only place they're hosted?

Of the remaining games that are only available on the sandbox, why do you assume the creator will not host it elsewhere?

And that doesn't even consider the fact that games on the sandbox also exist in download form on many peoples hard drives.

The only games that will be lost are the ones nobody bothers to download and the creator has abandoned.

Why is is YYGs obligation to host these games perpetually? Especially the ones that nobody plays and even the creator has abandoned.

If you believe these games need to be saved, you save them and pay for the hosting costs.

You dont seem to understand my point, which is what would happen if they switched to ONLY html5, the sandbox should be created to host the best of gmc, which would not be avaliable too much if it was only hmtl5.

#27 LukanSpellweaver

LukanSpellweaver

Pixel Art Wizard

• GMC Member
  • 2326 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

I loved the old sandbox(eh, kind of...). I can't afford the HTML5 module for my GM:S(which I got on sale WITH the upgrade discount... $25 for pro), so YYGs making a new sandbox that only caters to one non standard module is absurd to me. I don't believe they would do that.

#28 rockyfelle185

rockyfelle185

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:56 AM

I loved the old sandbox(eh, kind of...). I can't afford the HTML5 module for my GM:S(which I got on sale WITH the upgrade discount... $25 for pro), so YYGs making a new sandbox that only caters to one non standard module is absurd to me. I don't believe they would do that.

Agreed, that would be a... different desicion

#29 GJH105775

GJH105775

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

I still use sandbox, of course I have been using scince Game Maker 6.0.  This is my first time logging onto GMC in a while, over a year

Edited by GJH105775, 19 November 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#30 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8334 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

I still use sandbox, of course I have been using it before Game Maker 6.0.  This is my first time logging onto GMC in a while, over a year.

YYGs bought GameMaker at about the time GM 7.0 was released. The Sandbox was created approximately 6 months after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users