#1 juriw

juriw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 30 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hello,

I currently in the design fase of a game. I was wondering what experience you guys have with resolution settings?

Have two questions :)
I was thinking about 1366x768 and then force fullscreen when game starts. But what if a netbook with resolution 1024x768 resolution is trying to run the game?
I have a Macbook Air, it runs 1440x900. The outcome will be a little harder scalling of the graphics on my screen if I choose the 1366x768 settings, right?

Best regards,
JuriW

#2 Saintyboy

Saintyboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 106 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Hi Juriw,

I am in the middle of writing a script for my game to handle every single possible resolution on every platform and it's a nightmare i can tell you. However, on a PC i think the most realistic maximum resolution that 95% of users will have is 1920x1200 and i am designing my game with this in mind so that any scaling will be downward rather than upward. If you scale upward you can encounter blurriness, pixilation and poor anti-aliasing pendant on your quality of graphics & sprites.

If someone has a script where you input your room size and it scales everything accurately depending on the device, i would gratefully accept it nay pay for it!

#3 Lune

Lune

hic quoque transibit

• GMC Member
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

I like developing at 1280x720. It's an amount that most people will be able to support, it's a standard size for HDTVs, and it's the level a lot of console devs have been using this generation.

#4 xhawkeyex

xhawkeyex

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

I've also just finished working with resolution. I've decided that the best thing to do for a game is keep the resolution of your, but change the size of the game's window. This will give you cleaner results and make your sprites look a bit my HD. I normally do 640x480 for my game window and my own personal computer screen is 1280x1024. Since most people have a screen of 1280x720 I left my resolution the same and changed the game window size up to 800x600 since that is the lowest resolution that is still in use.

#5 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 7317 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I like to develop in 480x272. If you go any bigger than that, 16x16 tiles will look too small to be taken seriously.

#6 RangerX

RangerX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 996 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

You should devellop your game with a 16:9 ration resolution. This is the standard mostly everywhere and will be for a freaking while.

After that then you shouldn't mind all the different 16:9 resolutions much. Pick a resolution that fits your graphic style (like if you go "pixel art", have a very low 16:9 resolution) and upscale it according the size of people's monitors.
Of course, don't let it upscale to any resolution and it will crap the ratio and image on many computers. Let it upscale only when the monitor is currently using a 16:9 resolution and even further than that, if you don't want graphic interpolation at all, upscale only in power of 2. ( 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, etc)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users