Posted Image

Downloads:
64Digits
YoYo Games
Game Jolt

Developers:
orange08
BretHudson

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Peer pressure tells me I should include this, so I'm throwing down a super dry overview of this game by category before I move on.

Graphics are generally very simplistic, drawn in a cartoon-ish style signature to orange's previous games.
Story is -- it's actually sort of brilliant. All of the characters are extremely unconventional. I'll be stressing this later.
Gameplay is a simple platformer/adventure genre, with heavy emphasis on the adventure aspect.
Sound is minimal, but that's well and good.

Alright, that's all the obligatory drudgework done. It's short, because that's not at all what I'm writing this review for. Saga Of The Ugly is a very underrated game, and it's not because of any of the reasons above.

Saga Of the Ugly 2 was made by orange and Bret Hudson for the Scary 4 Digits competition. It's a story-driven horror platformer (!) that, despite having a large assortment of characters, maintains a sense of loneliness throughout the game. The parallel follows something similar to an insane asylum.

Posted Image

Intentional or not, these subtleties are truly all over the game. Not even in just the story, but the gameplay as well. The game introduces some strange scenery that acts as docile plant life at the start, but after some time (after you've gotten used to their appearance) they re-establish themselves as active enemies, adding to a sense of fear and surprise when they first start to attack you. Meanwhile, on a more traditional note, the game features boss fights, maze-like exploration, and a small sense of puzzle. But despite the many twists and turns of the rooms, I never found myself "stuck." It's fairly clear how to advance in the game. It also stays interesting throughout, marked by some surprising turns that I can't directly say without ruining them. Bear in mind, they involve running. Fast.

The characters: truly imaginative. This, aside from its extremely detailed approach to conducting fear, is the crux of the game. You're immediately greeted by this monstrosity named Uvulapoz, a truly paranoid bastard that appears out of nowhere and warns you against going forward. He'll pop out of the ceiling throughout the game and make nonsense remarks about a pending threat which he refuses to identify. My personal favorite character, Glueman, has an adhesive tongue. He uses it to glue pieces of your key together. And all the while the game has an odd sort of fright to it, despite being something that's sort of absurd to be afraid of. It's the embodiment of the nervous laugh you give when entering a dark basement, or your attic. And all around it's a game that's not beautiful, not addictive, but simply interesting.

Posted Image

I'd highly suggest you give it a go.

#2 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the review, Snail! I really appreciate it. :)
During the development of the game I never anticipated such an interest in the various characters. It's fascinating to read your impressions of the game.

Great work, and thanks again for the review!

-orange

Edited by orange08, 24 September 2012 - 10:26 PM.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#3 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

I loved this game. Definitely deserved to be here, and this is an accurate review of it. Good review! :thumbsup:

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#4 slojanko

slojanko

HARD GAMER

• GMC Member
  • 588 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Looks nice

Games in progress:

The unexpected: [--------------------]

My examples on YYG sandbox

My games on GameJolt

#5 BretHudson

BretHudson

indie(Function);

• GMC Member
  • 376 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thanks for the review, I really appreciate it, it gave me a smile. :) Your review made me feel like I was playing the game again, and I feel a bit of a nostalgic feeling.

Anyway, great review. Thanks again.
-Bret Hudson ~ indie(Function); CEO