Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:54 AM
From left: Water bolt, Lava Bolt, Energi Bolt, Ice Bolt, Teleport , Armor Spell, Healing Spell, Lifesteal spell, Fear Spell, Curse spell, Thorn/Snare Spell, Hunter/Tracking Spell, Cooldown hourglass
A friend of mine did them so i'm asking you, how they can be improved because i really suck at design
Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:14 AM
-ice bolt look like a holy damage bolt. i understand the white/silver color for ice but add a little blue in it to make it more like ice is made of water.
and if ice and water will be to similar make water a bit darker.
-heal look like "cure posion" cuse of the lime green color make i red and it will probably be better.
-the life steal is hard to do "right" have no ide how to "fix" it but it look good anyway.
still its just my vision on them and its up to you to say if they are right for your project.
else they are good.
Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:37 AM
To make the spells look good, you really should make them have the same style as all other game graphics. If you mix up sprites made in 20 seconds with the rectangle and spray paint tools with 3D prerendered gradient effects you're bound to end up making an extremely ugly game. My solution would be:
1) Make all sprites yourself.
2) Try to limit yourself to few colors in the palette, and use the same color set consistently in elements that belong together (e.g. use the same yellow shade for the outlines of the healthbar, the outlines of the mana circle, and the score font)
3) Decide on either "3d/gradient effects" (where pixels doesn't really matter) or "pixel art" (where they do matter) and only use that.
Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:57 AM
Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:28 PM
Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:16 AM
- The water bolt should be a darker blue, because ...
- The ice bolt should be a very light blue (white is usually taken as a 'wind' element)
- Energy should be yellow(ish) -- energy is very much connected to electricity, which is usually denoted as a yellow bolt
- Armor could have a cross through the centre of the shield, which makes it more clearly a shield
- Fear and curse are too dark to make out properly
- "Hunter / tracking" is quite unclear -- the typical design for an icon of this sort is either the weapon that a person hunts with (gun, bow & arrow), or the prey (deer)
Also, just take a gander at some typical icons thrown up by a Google search. Icons tend to relate to a fixed notion of that topic / activity which is ever present in people's minds.
Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:59 AM
Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:49 AM
it almost only other color.
try to change form little bit
Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:42 PM
It's much better, a greater contrast and much more defined.
Fear spell less darker? Is it better now?
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users