Photo

Madness Reloaded V1.3 *2 Player Fun At Its Best!

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

naamloos.png
A fast paced multiplayer based action platformer by Tobias van Zanten

INFO:
Madness Reloaded is an action based platform game in which you can fly around with your jetpack and use a wide selection of weaponry to take down your enemies.
Where the game heavily focuses on splitscreen multiplayer, you can also choose to play through the singleplayer challenges (and the secret campaign) to unlock weapons and other stuff for the multiplayer!

The game features an unique 'recoil' aiming system which is quite easy to get into, but hard to master.
If you like splitscreen games, and more importantly, if you like to digitally murder your mates, try this one, you'll love it!

This game is also being featured on Pixel Prospector, FreePcGamers and Softpedia which are nice indie/free game/software websites.

Features:
-26 zones to play in.
-Singleplayer challenges.
-Unique 'recoil' aiming system.
-17 guns, each with a primary and secondary fireing option.
-Lots of secrets and unlockables.
-Screen filling combos!

-4 Game types.

-Funky music.
-Tutorial.
-Cheats.

File size: 30.9 MB

Version: GM8. Vista, WIndows 7 and Windows 8 compatible.
Download links: Box.net YOYO games Game Jolt
Gameplay videos: 1 2 [Me playing against my brother]
Screenshots: 1 2 3 4 5
You can also DOWNLOAD a strongly simplified ONLINE client to play against a friend over the internet [Use Hamachi or forward your ports].

Quotes:
"polished graphics, smooth controls, nice sounds... great game" -AuthenticKaizen
"Really excellent game, one of the best I've seen on here in a long time actually" -Robert3DG+
"Jesus! This is awesome! effects, combos, addictive violence, sorta reminds me of Soldat...but anyways, awesome game dude!" -Djking
"BEST GAME MAKER GAME EVER!" -GS-games

image.png
Please leave a comment with your criticism, kudos and/or ideas. Thanks!
PS: Some anti-virus programs say that the game is not to be trusted. Relax, the game isn't infected, it's just that such programs distrust all zipped/rarred .exe files by default.

Edited by Tobias(NL), 24 October 2013 - 02:18 PM.

Posted Image
-Click the image for both the download & topic
Visit my homepage [Aquarel Games.tk]

#2 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'd appreciate some replies folks :)
Btw, my game also got featured on softpedia

Edited by Tobias(NL), 18 October 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Posted Image

#3 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

I love the graphics in this game. The backgrounds make great use of light and shadow/dark to give a nice visual effect. And the special effects from the gun shots and the explosions are very cool. +1 for the effort you put into this.

As for the game play... there's so much to try it hard to see it all. I've tried the single-player mode and the "frag area" (not sure what that mean...but it sounds cool. :tongue: ). And a couple of other areas too. And I checked out several of the weapons. TONS of options here.

I like the movement controls-- especially the jetpack / hover mode with the UP arrow. That's lots of fun. But I didn't really care for the fire controls that use the Shift and Ctrl keys. This forces players to turn off the "sticky key" windows options to avoid those popup messages. So I don't understand why you choose those particular keys. Not a big deal... but I recommend using more conventional keys that don't affect any Windows setting.

I thought the gameplay action itself was very good. Lots of excitement. Unfortunately I wasn't particularly good at it, but that's because I don't really play these types of games much. So I couldn't get past the first target challenge. But that shouldn't be an issue for experienced players.

Overall, this is an excellent example of this particular genre. Lots of different playing fields, weapons, multi-player options, etc. And the graphics and sounds are top notch. Definitely worth the download.

#4 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Love game so far for single player though the background music don't sound right, a sounds skippy, maybe my computer can't handle it, had to turn the music off. Really cool games I like it, probably try to beat the single play, and try multilayer later.

#5 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thank you guys for taking time to reply, I really appreciate it as I worked my butt off to finish this game.
@Chance: I think I'll add custom controls somewhere in the near future so that people can change the controls to their liking. Thanks for pointing that out, and another big thanks for the nice review ; )
@KurtBlissz: Glad you're enjoying it mate. That music error never occurred to me, but it's probably because your pc has a hard time running the game (it is a little heavy for the average computer).

Secret: Try RIGHT clicking on the TUTORIAL button for a small secret campaign!

Enjoy!

-TobiasNL
PS: 'Frag' stands for 'Kill', it is being used in several games like Unreal Tournament and Quake III arena. So Frag Area in other words: Deatmatch (or Kill Area)

Edited by Tobias(NL), 02 November 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Posted Image

#6 scorpion91

scorpion91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Woa. This might just be my most favorite Game Maker game of all time.
I love the graphics, the gameplay and the attention to detail!
Have played this for hours with my little brother ^__^.
This should definately get some more attention!

It's a little heavy, so I see you reach the limits of Game Maker. You might wanna check out Unity3D =).
9/10!

Cheers,

#7 Master Xilo

Master Xilo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

• I wouldn't mind you making the game type description a little bigger.
  • You also don't need to center everything, it's
    annyoing to read a lot of
    text arranged
    like this.

• Please put the files in a folder in the zip. Who came up with the nonsense of zipping all the CONTENTS of a folder instead of the folder?
  • Why the readme in a txt, but the changes in a doc (with centered text again...), why not put them in the readme?
  • Why include the filename Readme.txt in the Readme.txt? I don't care.
  • Why show some controls with colon "CONTROL: Fire your...", some with hyphen: "F4 - Fulscreen"
  • Why make the Readme support 104 characters wide? The standard for fixed with is 80 or so I believe, but what do you need that line for anyways?
  • This game takes very long to load. And it loads even more ingame?
  • Nice "engine presentation" sequence.
  • Epic music in main menu.
  • I really like the cursor's motion blur effect.
  • Unfortunately the resolution is fixed at something pretty low, makin the text hard to read. You could consider running the game at the native resolution of the user's screen and just upscale the game itself while rendering all the interface at the native highest resolution possible. I guess this should be possible with surfaces/views...
  • Had to find out that that "OK" is a button, you might want to make that more obvious.
  • Very nice main menu overall. But the prerendered text (blue, with outline) is even harder to read.
  • You seem to be using a high framerate, matching that of the screen. That helps with making the cursor not feel laggy despite you drawing it yourself.
  • Why is there a "weapon information" in what appears to be the game mode list? Also you might want to include pictures to show what the game modes are.
  • The background in the menus is nice, but I fear it is distracting, you might want to darken it a bit.
  • Why are some words written in bold like "Flag Area" or "InstaGIB Area".
  • The text entry boxes' enlarging animation is nice, but the text position and size should also be animated, it should not just jump.
  • The weapons are indistinguishable.
  • You don't need to include the "Final Version" in the logo and the Version 1.3 and copyright on every screen.
  • The level preview images and animation are nice. Why not just reduce the map size to an adjective: large, small, medium, whatever?
  • What's up with that "Tobi Base" button?
  • I feel the "press shift or a" to begin text should be in the black box as well.
  • Why is the jump height so limited and the gravity so high when I can fly anyways?
  • It's a bit hard to distinguish between background only (e.g. trees, bushes) and walkable parts of the map.
  • Thanks for showing how to pick up the weapon ingame, you really can't expect people to RTFM. You should even consider showing all controls at least the first time a game is started. -- at least in the tutorial.
  • The animations, especially the shooting feel very smooth, polished and cool.
  • You should allow chaning the controls and maybe use WASD by default. Shift to shoot feels awkward.
  • Do all levels that have music have the same?
  • Would be nice to kill the program with Alt-F4. I know not many games support that, but I find myself doing it all the time in e.g. Warcraft 3.

Overall, looks like are very polished and fun game, didn't have a second player around unfortunately.

Edited by Master Xilo, 03 December 2012 - 10:51 PM.

#8 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

That's one hell of a list you got there man, haha.

1. Does it really matter that much though? I guess when you're using a high resolution it is a tad small.
2. I thought that would make it easier to read, in my case it does.
3. I did, but only with the first link. I added all the files without a map in the zip for YOYO games and Game Jolt so people can use the 'play online' option (although YOYO is having problems with my game, not sure why).
4. I made the readme a txt so everyone can open it without the need of some sort of program like word. The changes are in a doc format because when I first released this game back in 2008 I only used word and I was too lazy too change it to another format (as this also works), when I re-released the game previous year.
5. Don't know, that's something I like to do. Is it thát a big deal though?
6. Hyphen?
7. Guess those were the defaults on my old computer, but I'm not sure.
8. It uses external files to decrease lags and loading times during the game. Here and on lots of other computers it shouldn't be loading longer than 15 - 30 seconds, AT MAX.
9. Thanks!
10. It is huh ;P
12. The thing is, I AM running it on the natives resolution, but somehow it keeps looking pixelated on some computers. Don't know why.
13. Hmm you're right, it should probably be glowing or something. You can also press enter.
14. I think that has to do with that resolution problem, as I can read it with ease here.
15. Jups, the game runs on 50 fps, and on 60 when the user has enabled 'lighting mode'.
16. There's a description of the game type when you hover your mouse over the buttons. The weapon information menu is just an extra, and I guess it should've been placed somewhere else. Just thought it looked nice there.
17. I don't experience it that way, I also asked some other people but they didn't find it very distracting as well. Same with the in game backgrounds.
18. Because it looks nice. It also emphasizes the thing about the game type which makes it different from the rest. (although it should be INSTAgib, but that wouldn't fit).
19. Looks good enough.
20. Only the TF rifles are very alike, all of the other weapons definitely look different. It also gives you information about the weapon when you're standing on top of it to make it even more clear.
21. It's just a menu filler, really. Looks good. That 'final version' is part of the logo sprite, so... And I kind of dislike games where you have to search for the version number.
22. Agreed.
23. It's a unlockable map. The game has unlockables, and TobiBase is one of em. Look into the gamepad&support map for cheats and hints.
24. It's outside the blackbox so the game type information is excluded of the actual 'begin match' information. Makes it easier to read.
25. The jump height is limited because otherwise hitting your opponent would be too hard, people would be bunny hopping all the time. A limited jumping height forces people to fly (although jumping still is a way to dodge bullets and other stuff). The only thing which is still bugging me though is that when a player stands against a wall the character doesn't jump as high as when he runs.
26. Guess that's personal, as most of the people who played my game didn't had that problem. Maybe it is your contrast or something? I'll look into it though.
27. Agreed. It is listed in the readme though, but nobody reads those things nowadays.
28. Thanks! That's actually my favorite part of making a game ;P
29. I often had complains about this and I'm working on custom controls as we speak. SHIFT is fine, but that irritating Windows sticky key thingy just murders the SHIFT button. I chose for this button though because it's placed AWAY from the second player's hands. You don't want to get sweaty with your mate, right?:P/>
30. No, there are 14 songs to be found in the game, yet some levels have the same theme (underground theme, desert theme, jungle theme etc). Unlock all of the other levels to hear a few new tracks.
31. Hmm, I agree, but the game uses an auto-save feature which could get bugged when someone tries to alt F4 the game.

Thank you for taking time to test and comment! It is much appreciated.
TobiasNL

Edited by Tobias(NL), 08 January 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image

#9 scorpion91

scorpion91

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

This game is so cool I just had to reply again.
I played it with my little brother and am literally shocked with the amount of fun a little game can contain.
Shame on you co-op failing large developers!

#10 GS-games

GS-games

Creative

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

BEST GAME MAKER GAME EVER! Posted Image

Hi there!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GabrielSandsted

Website (under development) gsgames.net: http://gsgames.net/ 

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gsgames.net 

tx5PmL9.png

#11 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Thanks Y'all!
Try right clicking on the tutorial button for a secret campaign level!

Edited by Tobias(NL), 23 February 2013 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I just added a new gameplay video of me and my little brother playing 2 matches against each other, gives you an idea of the actual gameplay.

You can find it HERE. Don't forget to switch to HD and fullscreen, otherwise the screen is too small :(

-I'm working on custom controls etc as we speak!

Enjoy.

Edited by Tobias(NL), 22 March 2013 - 06:54 PM.

Posted Image

#13 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

Hello Tobias. I was wondering, would you like me to feature you on my blog on Monday? It's at www.gamemakerhub.blogspot.com

-Shadow

Content Expressed below may be outdated or the post above may not reflect my current opinion. Goodday to all.

O2BqYnd.png

Beam Down, Drone: Sci-Fi Combat Platformer 

#14 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Oi man, that would be awesome! :)

Tobias

Posted Image

#15 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:38 AM

Ok. Will do. Do you have anything you want me to include in my post?

Content Expressed below may be outdated or the post above may not reflect my current opinion. Goodday to all.

O2BqYnd.png

#16 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thanks man. Well, maybe you could write something about the multiplayer? As the game is meant as a multiplayer game, although it has some singleplayer stuff.

Posted Image

#17 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Posted at http://gamemakerhub....s-reloaded.html

Hope you enjoy!

O2BqYnd.png

#18 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Any more thoughts on the game?

Posted Image

#19 Daddio

Daddio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

That's pretty rockin! I found I had a hard time learning to control my character, but it's not unusual to have a learning curve with games.

Definitely doing it right in the sound, graphics, and effect department.

I will have to give this a go with a 2nd player - no doubt one of my boys will play. I imagine it would be crazy fast and total mayhem with two people, especially after you figure out how to play well!

Good stuff, man!

Please try "Huze" for Android. Final Beta.
FREE! Game Maker Compass and Grid PDF

#20 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for your comment man! I agree about the gameplay being a tad too hard, but you'll get used to it after a few matches. The gameplay is not your average platform gameplay as the 'aiming' system is based on recoil, which is quite hard to master. I hope your boys enjoy/enjoyed the game!

Edited by Tobias(NL), 08 May 2013 - 12:32 PM.

Posted Image

#21 GS-games

GS-games

Creative

• GMC Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

I totaly love this game. Is it using box 2d physics? You should get it out on steam or port it to Win8, and if so,

add online multiplayer that would be really nice.

Hi there!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/GabrielSandsted

Website (under development) gsgames.net: http://gsgames.net/ 

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gsgames.net 

tx5PmL9.png

#22 Coyote2005

Coyote2005

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

Very good looking game, it blows my game's presentation out of the water! ._. I really like the BOOM! text with the explosions. Why didn't I think of that..

Looks like there will be a lot of stuff for you to sync however, and like I said in my thread, delta timing is very necessary for games like this otherwise you will be sending a lot of stupid syncing data back and forth when clients could predict and sync things by themselves. A person with 30 fps will be at a much bigger disadvantage against a person with 60 fps without it.

I also see you're trying to get over that huge learning curve of getting a 3rd player in a server? This will take some time to fathom, I got a headache when I was learning about it. You'll have to make an efficient client ID system that knows when to add player IDs to a list and to drop them. Clients will also have to send all their data to the server, who will also have to resend out player data to all clients, unlike a 2 player game where the server and client just send data back and forth,

It's pretty hard but you seem pretty capable. If you're using 39dll, use the vast amount of documentation floating around the internet on how to make a 3+ player game, then I strongly recommend switching over to http dll 2. It's a lot simpler for a more efficient network wrap.

Edited by Coyote2005, 17 May 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#23 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Sounds like a lot of hard work! It is definitely worth the effort though.

Thanks for the information man ;)

If you'd like to cooperate with me some time let me know, we could start out with a simple multiplayer game. I could do the graphics, music and sounds, as well as some programming.

The game could feature cartoony graphics like in this game (but better, as this game is quite outdated graphical wise) or like one of my new projects, which has a more darker feeling.

Ty for the reply.

Posted Image

#24 JarodMenace

JarodMenace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

This game looks simply amazing, I will come back with a review shortly.

#25 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Ty for your comment man, it´s good to know there´s still people around who test/play my game :)

So how was your experience? Did you have trouble with the controls/gameplay?

Posted Image

#26 Codestation

Codestation

GMC Member

• 9 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

this is so awesome thaks

Spoiler

I Am Nobody !!!!!!

#27 JarodMenace

JarodMenace

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

Ty for your comment man, it´s good to know there´s still people around who test/play my game :)

So how was your experience? Did you have trouble with the controls/gameplay?

Sorry I did not review for awhile, after playing the game I got totally distracted any how the games graphics, physics, animations and effects were top notch. But could use bots!

Edit: Oh yeah a 8.5/10

Edited by xxForgottenSoulxx, 10 October 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#28 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thanks guys! Hope you enjoyed it :)

Bots would indeed be nice, but the game's engine is pretty dang outdated.. so making bots for this game will be very hard.

Edited by Tobias(NL), 25 October 2013 - 02:10 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Bump

Posted Image

#30 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:31 PM

Just wondered there's still people around who might like to test this game :)

Posted Image

#31 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

Bump

Posted Image