•Screen Resolution: 320 x 320 scaled by 2
•Changes Screen Resolution: No
•Download Link: Download here
•Screenshot:

Posted Image

•Features:
1. 3 colors!

GAMEPLAY
Sky Rush is an arcade game where in you have to collect the heart that appears on random locations
on the screen. The game starts out with few missiles to avoid at first. But as you collect more hearts
and level up, more and more missiles will start appearing. Don't fall off the bottom of the screen or
else, you're dead. Set your highscore and beat your personal best!

CONTROLS
Left Arrow Key: Move left
Right Arrow Key: Move right
Spacebar: Fly

Edited by Pixelade, 22 September 2012 - 11:56 AM.

0c4687e3.png jumplogo_zps6c509997.png fk5o4z.png 2j4ahzb.png

#2 Wraithcutter

Wraithcutter

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 297 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

Hah! Strangely addictive for how simple it is! Highscore 33!

Good times, made me think of an oldschool C64 game, Pidgeon, for some reason. Maybe the sound, lol.

Simple, easy to play, effective and clean graphics, no errors. Well done so far!

#3 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hah! Strangely addictive for how simple it is! Highscore 33!

Good times, made me think of an oldschool C64 game, Pidgeon, for some reason. Maybe the sound, lol.

Simple, easy to play, effective and clean graphics, no errors. Well done so far!

Thanks!

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

It took me a few times to realize that "press spacebar" means tapping it repeatedly. But once I figured that out (duh...) the game played nicely. It has the basics of an old-school arcade game: bombs and missile to avoid, and hearts to collect. And the monochrome graphics have a nice retro feel to them.

Overall a pretty good game. Simple but fun. And no bugs or glitches (that I saw).

The game seems pretty complete as is, but since you posted in WIP, does this mean you plan to add more features?

#5 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

It took me a few times to realize that "press spacebar" means tapping it repeatedly. But once I figured that out (duh...) the game played nicely. It has the basics of an old-school arcade game: bombs and missile to avoid, and hearts to collect. And the monochrome graphics have a nice retro feel to them.

Overall a pretty good game. Simple but fun. And no bugs or glitches (that I saw).

The game seems pretty complete as is, but since you posted in WIP, does this mean you plan to add more features?

Well, it's really up to you guys if you want to give suggestions to add to the game. But, I do plan on adding music. I'm already trying to ask in the Music Resource forum. And I think the game isn't really polished enough.

New updated version: Download
Changes:
1.) Added a loading graphic
2.) Changed explosion effect when hitting bombs

#6 burliminator

burliminator

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

Really liked the game, simple..but in an elegant way lol. Graphic scheme is also good
Posted Image

#7 icymx

icymx

Patrick Brett

• GMC Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

Very nice. Reminds me of old arcade games like Pacman, pong, etc. Very simple but fun.
I especially liked the graphics. I've always been a fan of retro-style pixel art, and this game demonstrated that perfectly. Good work!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature,
nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits
in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.

- Helen Keller

#8 ScottGraves

ScottGraves

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

I actually really like this, reminds me of being down the arcades in my childhood ha :tongue:

One thing I have noticed is that the heart graphic doesnt always display correctly, it'll sometimes come up with missing sections etc. Not a big deal, but something I noticed.

I'd suggest NOT having music playing constantly throughout, rather have a tune play at certain events such as dying or game starting. I played alot of these style games back in the day and they quite often went without backing music and I think this one should too.

If youre looking for a musician or sound designer (not sure if the sounds youve got at the min are royalty free or not..) then Id be willing to help out. You can check my portfolio out at: http://iamscottgraves.com not alot of chip /8bit sounds on there, but i've got alot of chipsounds im dying to put to good use.

I could have the all the sounds you need within a day.
PM me if youre interested :thumbsup:

Edited by ScottGraves, 08 September 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#9 Lune

Lune

hic quoque transibit

• GMC Member
  • 991 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

Pretty nice what you've got here.

I think you could tweak the gameplay some to make it a little more fair and challenging, though.

1) The more hearts you get, the further away they have to spawn. It's okay if a heart spawns close to you if you have few, but they should get further away as your amount increases. I had ~30 hearts and fell leftward once and picked up 3 as I fell because they randomly spawned just a few pixels down-left of me. Part of me appreciated the free hearts, but part of me was turned off because it felt cheap and unpolished.

2) Similarly, don't let the tracking missiles spawn next to me until later in the game. The first time I played (well, second. I just fell to my death the first time), a tracker spawned right next to me and I immediately lost a life. Not cool.

3) Do something to signify that the trackers are no longer homing on you. I'm not sure if you have to get away, or just wait them out or both. It doesn't really matter, but some indication that the missile is actively seeking me would be nice, even if it's just a blinking light on the missile.

4) Change the hearts to something else. After I lost my first life, I kept collecting hearts to try to replace my lost life. I ended up understanding that they are unrelated, but that's not something I should have had to figure out.

Also, have you considered turning this into an iPhone/Android game? It would work great using the phone's gyro for steering, and tapping the screen to flap (which, frankly, would be far more comfortable than tapping space). This the kind of game that I'm not very likely to play for very long while on my computer, but would happily waste away time with while "on the go".

The graphics are okay for me. The colors are great, and nothing is bad, but I'd personally prefer a HD version with vector art. If that's something you're interested in, I'd love to help (at no charge).

To add some more depth, consider a few missions and other bits of polish. One thing I like in a game like this is the "near miss" achievement, of narrowly avoiding collision with x object y amount of times. You could even add little wind-stream effects as things pass by the bird to add some flare to the game, so long as it doesn't make too much of a distraction.

AbeBlyTwitch.png
AbeBlyTwitter.png

#10 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Thanks icymx!
Thanks for the offer Scott!
Thanks for the review Snail_Man!

Pretty nice what you've got here.

I think you could tweak the gameplay some to make it a little more fair and challenging, though.

1) The more hearts you get, the further away they have to spawn. It's okay if a heart spawns close to you if you have few, but they should get further away as your amount increases. I had ~30 hearts and fell leftward once and picked up 3 as I fell because they randomly spawned just a few pixels down-left of me. Part of me appreciated the free hearts, but part of me was turned off because it felt cheap and unpolished.

2) Similarly, don't let the tracking missiles spawn next to me until later in the game. The first time I played (well, second. I just fell to my death the first time), a tracker spawned right next to me and I immediately lost a life. Not cool.

3) Do something to signify that the trackers are no longer homing on you. I'm not sure if you have to get away, or just wait them out or both. It doesn't really matter, but some indication that the missile is actively seeking me would be nice, even if it's just a blinking light on the missile.

4) Change the hearts to something else. After I lost my first life, I kept collecting hearts to try to replace my lost life. I ended up understanding that they are unrelated, but that's not something I should have had to figure out.

Also, have you considered turning this into an iPhone/Android game? It would work great using the phone's gyro for steering, and tapping the screen to flap (which, frankly, would be far more comfortable than tapping space). This the kind of game that I'm not very likely to play for very long while on my computer, but would happily waste away time with while "on the go".

The graphics are okay for me. The colors are great, and nothing is bad, but I'd personally prefer a HD version with vector art. If that's something you're interested in, I'd love to help (at no charge).

To add some more depth, consider a few missions and other bits of polish. One thing I like in a game like this is the "near miss" achievement, of narrowly avoiding collision with x object y amount of times. You could even add little wind-stream effects as things pass by the bird to add some flare to the game, so long as it doesn't make too much of a distraction.

1.) I think it's alright. It's already hard enough to get to that next heart as you collect more hearts. My highscore is only a shameful 50. :biggrin:
2.) Alrighty! All missiles no longer spawn next to you whenever you are close to the screen. (Haven't tested this yet though so i'm not very sure.)
3.) Alrighty! The trackers now indicate when they are still homing you.
4.) What should I change the heart to?

I haven't really considered putting the game on those platforms. I can really only make games for Windows because I don't have GMStudio and don't plan on getting GMStudio.

Thanks for the offer on the graphics!

UPDATE:
Added music by Essencescape Soundworks (IG Music Forum)
Added some of Lune's suggestions
Added an effect where in when you get hit by a missile, feathers fall off you. :biggrin:

OMG guys hahaha. I am so sorry. I've been gone for so long that I didn't notice you guys made tons of music for the game. I've already found a music composer on the IG Music Forum but don't worry! I'll make sure that all of your music will be used in any further projects! Thanks for the support guys!

Edited by Pixelade, 12 September 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#11 Kraed

Kraed

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 12 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:00 AM

Looking good so far, the updates are really nice! Hope people enjoy the track. ;)

Interested on future projects, Pixelade, really pleasant game this one is. Its components work very well together.

#12 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Aww thanks Kraed! The music you made for the game was superb! It fit the game really well too!

UPDATE:
Differentiated the smoke trail of the different rocket types.
Polished the game a bit more.

Hope you guys are having fun with the game! Any more suggestions are still open!

Edited by Pixelade, 13 September 2012 - 01:18 PM.

#13 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hey everyone!

UPDATE
Adjusted volume of some sound effects.

Edited by Pixelade, 15 September 2012 - 08:02 AM.

#14 teo2cry

teo2cry

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I can't get past 23 :(

#15 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

:biggrin: Keep trying! You're bound to get my highscore of 73!

Edited by Pixelade, 17 September 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#16 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

UPDATES:
Better explosions
Missiles now collide with each other

Download updated version either here or from the main post.

#17 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

UPDATES:
Even better explosions
Added a flash effect to indicate that you lost a life

This version is the (finally) complete version. But even so, i'm still going to take your suggestions and update the game.

Download this version either here or at the main post.

Thanks guys!

#18 icymx

icymx

Patrick Brett

• GMC Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

Woo, congratulations! Report the topic and say "Game finished, move to Creations" or something similar and a moderator will move it to the Windows Creations area.

- Helen Keller

#19 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Woo, congratulations! Report the topic and say "Game finished, move to Creations" or something similar and a moderator will move it to the Windows Creations area.

Newbie question: How do you report a topic? :tongue:

Anyway, you guys should probably watch this score attack video by ortoslon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Sc-RgH94g

#20 icymx

icymx

Patrick Brett

• GMC Member
  • 800 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Newbie question: How do you report a topic? :tongue:

Click 'Report' on the first post, or any post for that matter. Moderators (generally) know what they're doing so if you just alert them that you want the topic moved, they'll move it for you :D

- Helen Keller

#21 Ixlegraw

Ixlegraw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

I tried to look for a report button before I asked the question and I can't find it. I looked harder and saw that it was at the bottom left corner of a post! :tongue: I think it should be made more visible if the whole box was yellow. Just saying.