• 1005 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

I would like to present my newest game:

Concrete Trees Burn Violet

Download from Mediafire

GameJolt

YoYo Games

Overview:

Our main character receives a message from the girl he loves, telling him to look at the sky. Unfortunately, a thick (procedurally generated) concrete jungle blocks his view of the sky.

However, he has the power to conjure violet flames, which are capable of setting the concrete trees on fire. Somehow, he must use this power to climb to the top of the structure, and gaze upon the sky - all without creating a dangerous wildfire.

Controls:

<LEFT>, <RIGHT>: Move left or right
<UP>: Aim up
<Z>: Jump
<X>: Conjure violet flames
<R>: Generate new level

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Playthrough Video (CONTAINS SPOILERS!):

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Specifications:

Title: Concrete Trees Burn Violet
Download Size: 4.88 MB zipped
File Type: A '.zip' archive that contains the main executable, README.txt, a folder containing the game music, and two DLL's used to play the Ogg Vorbis music.
Version: 1.3
Written In: GM8 Registered

Edited by thetagames, 09 September 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#2 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

This is a very interesting idea for a game. The notion of setting fires to get past obstacles, and actually shape the environment around you, has lots of potential. +1 for an interesting idea here.

But the game itself isn't executed very well. The procedurally-generated environment is too complex, i.e., has too much structure and detail. So much detail, that it doesn't have the feel of a platformer. And I often found myself stuck and had to restart. So I'd try to modify the generator to make more familiar looking environments.

Alternatively, you might drop the procedural generation altogether and just create challenging levels by hand. That would allow you to craft interesting challenges and puzzles to get through. Personally, I'd prefer that.

The character graphics also need work. The character is so simple (just a few macro-pixels) that the player can't really identify with it. I'd use more conventional graphics to make a recognizable character.

I like the music. Nicely suited for the game.

Overall, however, this has potential to be an interesting puzzle-platformer game. Nice job so far.

#3 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

This is a very interesting idea for a game. The notion of setting fires to get past obstacles, and actually shape the environment around you, has lots of potential. +1 for an interesting idea here.

But the game itself isn't executed very well. The procedurally-generated environment is too complex, i.e., has too much structure and detail. So much detail, that it doesn't have the feel of a platformer. And I often found myself stuck and had to restart. So I'd try to modify the generator to make more familiar looking environments.

Alternatively, you might drop the procedural generation altogether and just create challenging levels by hand. That would allow you to craft interesting challenges and puzzles to get through. Personally, I'd prefer that.

The character graphics also need work. The character is so simple (just a few macro-pixels) that the player can't really identify with it. I'd use more conventional graphics to make a recognizable character.

I like the music. Nicely suited for the game.

Overall, however, this has potential to be an interesting puzzle-platformer game. Nice job so far.

Thank you for the reply! I was really trying to go for something original here.

I think I'll keep the procedural generation - I want the game to be different each time you play it. Also, the game would actually be harder if the trees were less dense - a small fire would burn away your only path to the top. Having such a dense jungle of trees not only adds to the game's atmosphere, but it also allows the player multiple options for getting to the top.

In what ways were you stuck? Was it that you were trapped at the spawn point, or that you couldn't find a path to the top? The player should usually have a little room when he spawns (and you can always burn your way out), and there should always be a path to the top (although, careless use of fire can cause it to burn away).

I can see what you mean about the graphics - I was going for a very minimalist style, though.

Glad you liked the music!

#4 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:46 AM

I have uploaded a new version, which minimizes some slowdown issues with large fires, and fixed a rare spawning bug. I'd like to know what you all think of this.

Thanks!

#5 thetagames

thetagames

Informatikmeister

• GMC Member
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

I decided to make a playthrough video of this, to give a better impression of the gameplay. It contains spoilers, though:

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be