#1 Changgi

Changgi

Infamous Irregular

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Posted Image

Well, after taking some suggestions from TsukaYuriko about my earlier games, I've made this game in a relatively short time. Just uploaded it. And it's specially dedicated to roytheshort, TsukaYuriko, Hiznopellagio, NukeTheCat and Lawsome1997, most of whom are GMC friends of mine. (It DOESN'T mean that only they can play it, of course)

http://sandbox.yoyog...3-gmc-tinha-war
It's based on the Hong Kong Children's game Tinha War (that happens to be remade on iPhone and the like)!
The goal of the game is to breach the computer player's defenses and once that happens... well, you win! It's not gonna be a short game! :turned:

Well I really hope you guys could leave me some feedback. I especially enjoy more detailed and lengthy comments/reviews so no need to shorten if you've got a lot to say! Well, hope you enjoy! Please also tell me if you liked how I REMADE YOUR AVATARS!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Changgi, 24 August 2012 - 05:49 AM.

#2 Hiznopellagio

Hiznopellagio

Carpe Noctem

• GMC Member
  • 860 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

Nice game! 9/10! i love the button graphics and gameplay, yeah! speechless! And, what?! dedicated to me?! i cann't say anythin' but...

:thanks:

xgzQT2A.png

#3 TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko

Remember... and never forget

• Global Moderators
  • 9535 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Satsuka being abused as a defense... is so hilariously fitting, I'm speechless. :P (She's sort of masochistic, so yeah...) The same goes for NukeTheCat being an attacker, hehe.
Couldn't find any way to reliably trick the CPU into losing all the time, which is good, I guess. As you stated in the help file, the battle part is indeed pretty similar to rock-paper-scizzors.

I've got a few questions about the warfield part, though. First of all, does Satsuka have any purpose other than stalling the opponent? Setting up a Satsuka requires one turn, setting up and attacking with a NukeTheCat requires two turns and destroys one Satsuka. However, I could just as well ignore the presence of Satsuka and set up a Nuke or attack with one whenever I get a turn, since I can simply get Hiznopellagio and Lawsome back online if they do get hit, which also only costs a single turn and they pretty much serve the same purpose as Satsuka (other than the fact that I can't attack when they're not online). As of right now, it seems like Satsuka is only a way of making the battles last way longer, but she has no purpose other than that.
A similar question about Nuke - does it make any sense to set up more than one? You can only attack with one of your Nukes when you choose to attack during a turn, after all, so setting up more than one Nuke seems pointless.

Here's an idea to work around the things above: Having multiple Nukes set up allows you to attack with all of them at once. So instead of setting up a Nuke, attacking, setting up a Nuke, attacking, which would require a total of 4 turns, you could set up a Nuke, set up another Nuke and THEN attack, resulting in both Nukes attacking with only three turns spent. To prevent this from becoming too abuse-able, you could add the ability to attack the Nukes of your opponents as well, but ONLY if your opponent has no Satsukas. Also, whenever you attack the opponent's Nukes, you will kill ALL of them, but it only costs you a single Nuke. So if you have two Nukes and your opponent has three (both have no Satsukas) and you choose to attack, your first Nuke would kill the three Nukes of your opponent, and your second Nuke would attack their Hiznopellagio/Lawsome/the PEACE letters. Speaking of the PEACE letters, I'm having a feeling that with the above setup (if you do decide to make the game work that way), it would probably be better if there was no way to recover them. So once a letter is lost, it is lost until either side wins.

I do realize that this would be a heavy modification of how the game this is based off of works, but that way, I think there would be a bit more strategy involved instead of pure luck-based rock-paper-scizzors, and it would also make the currently useless/pointless/whatever things actually useful. Let me know what you think.

Also, since you asked us to comment on how well you remade our avatars/characters/whatever: You forgot Satsuka's gloves. (...actually, looking at Satsuka's sprite in the Ikayuna demo, I also forgot them there, and you likely based the drawing in this game off of that. Oops. I knew it would've been a good idea to give you her concept art...) The rest was accurate, and in your usual simplistic style.

yBGBXQa.pngmWOQbeq.png

#4 NukeTheFox

NukeTheFox

Isaiah 11:6

• GMC Member
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Oh... I'm an attacker? Thats cool!

:thanks:

+1 repped you

#5 Changgi

Changgi

Infamous Irregular

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Okay! New version out! Hopefully this would alleviate most of those problems TsukaYuriko stated!
Current changes (besides the instructions in the help file):
- Once a letter in 'PEACE' is erased, it will not be replenished
- You may now attack the opponent's attackers as well
- Minor updates on effects

Should there be any glitch, tell me so OK?

P.S. I even created an 'extreme' version using all her suggestions!

Edited by Changgi, 24 August 2012 - 05:50 AM.

#6 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

I've played this several times now. And read the HELP file carefully. But sadly, I can't make sense of it. :sad: I understand the rock-paper-scissors battle analogy, but what are the "Lawsome, Hizzy and Satsuka" characters? Which is which... and what do they do? And how do I use them?

I was able to win several times -- just dumb luck I guess. But I never saw the screen you described above. Each time I'd win, I just saw one button that said "build defense". And when I clicked it, the game restarted the same way each time.

I'm obviously missing something here. Can you explain in more detail what exactly I'm supposed to do? A walk-through would be great.

That said, the graphics look very nice. :smile: So nice job on that.

#7 Changgi

Changgi

Infamous Irregular

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

@chance, I hope this clears things up for you:
Posted Image

Edited by Changgi, 26 August 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#8 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

That helps a little, but I'm still confused here. Guess I'm just dense. :tongue:

OK, after I win a particular battle, I see the "warfield" screen. However, I only see the center button saying "build defense". Never any other buttons.

So I click on "build defense". But what is supposed to happen then? It re-starts the battlefield, just like before?

#9 Changgi

Changgi

Infamous Irregular

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

You may only set up an attacker when both Lawsome and Hizzy are online (i.e. in colour)

If EITHER one is in grey, then you cannot set up an attacker, so you can't attack, since

you need at least one attacker to attack

The game doesn't 'restart', but rather,

winning the battle does not mean that you win the entire game, and you get taken back to the WS

Then another battle ensues and you build defences/attack again until one side's defences are depleted.
In other words, you build a defensive unit, then you build another, then you attack the opponent and the opponent's defences get depleted. After you've depleted EVERY SINGLE LETTER of the opposing 'PEACE', then you win the game. Does that help?

P.S. If it's the game that you don't like then just tell me so.

Edited by Changgi, 26 August 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#10 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

I've played this more times now -- and for longer periods of time. I see what's going on now. I wasn't paying attention to the color-highlighting of the various icons. And I didn't play it long enough to see all the options.

I was also confused by the terminology. When you described "building defensive units", and "attacking an opponent" I was thinking I had to physically do something. But I realize now that refers to indexing a tally (highlighting an icon, or un-highlighting it). Anyway, I get it now... finally. :tongue:

It's a cool game, and the graphics are very well done. The gameplay isn't overly exciting -- but that's just the nature of this type of strategy/luck game. People who enjoy the original Chinese game should enjoy this one. But players who want more video game excitement, movement, and visual appeal might not appreciate this as much.

Have you considered adding some animations and other graphical effects to spice it up? You could keep the traditional aspects of it -- but make better use of the video platform to add some visual excitement.

#11 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

BEST. STRATEGY. EVER.
- Shoot
- If the computer evades, keep hitting evade until it runs out of bullets
- Hit load because the computer has no bullets and youíre guaranteed safe
- If the computer loads, keep evading until it runs out of evades and bullets
- Shoot and win
Managed to win about 90% of rounds this way, never managed to take out Hizno and Lawsome on my side. If Iím not mistaken, the computer has a certain pattern that it follows, but I wasn't able to beat it 100% of the time, which was nice.

Anyway, this game is awesome. Itís got a lot of replay value, and even after figuring out my strategy, it still took a fair amount of time and thought to win. The interface is pretty good, but Iíd strongly recommend adding keyboard controls to make it easier to play.

One common thing Iíve noticed with your games is the presence of a really confusing tutorial where everything is presented at once in a huge wall of text. The best tutorials give you a quick walkthrough during the first round then let you go on your own. You shouldnít have to be constantly referring to the help file while youíre playing the game.

Overall, nice job. :)

P.S. The music is perfect for this game.

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#12 Changgi

Changgi

Infamous Irregular

• GMC Member
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Well I did put an A.I., but somehow it seems more predictable than the calculator counterpart. :sweat: I originally programmed this game on my calculator and it worked out fine but here, it feels that the player is 'over-powered' a bit, though in reality both are equal. :rolleyes:

Keyboard controls would probably be easier for the player though.

I originally planned to have a tutorial screen with circles and annotations, but I couldn't figure out how to explain the relationship between the stuff without using walls of texts anyway so alas I dropped it... Guess I'll have to work more on better instructions then!

Edited by Changgi, 09 September 2012 - 06:53 AM.