#1 FAAAEBS

FAAAEBS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Contrast (A Game Done In 9 Hours)

Contrast is a game that was done in 9 hours. It is a different kind of platform game, because you have infinite double jumps. It uses very few colors ingame (black, white, silver, and yellow) and uses some other colors in the menu and the credits. It has 11 levels (one being a tutorial), and a final, extremely hard level.

Download HERE

Screenshots:

Spoiler

#2 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

i don't know how many touch holes i've told this too, but making the player die as soon as it collides with something is dumb. it forces the player to beat every level perfectly. which isn't fun, players want options. i can't even choose different levels that might be easier. this is very linear game play. lame. i didn't play past level 5 because i didn't have fun. trying to float past spikes is a pain. i like the idea of infinite jumps. most people make a platformer and try to avoid that, but i realized, this is just a rocket flying game with a rocket that has too much boost with one key press. the music was pretty good. i enjoying that. perhaps if you changed the level design to create a longer learning curve the game might be fun.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#3 FAAAEBS

FAAAEBS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

i don't know how many touch holes i've told this too, but making the player die as soon as it collides with something is dumb. it forces the player to beat every level perfectly. which isn't fun, players want options. i can't even choose different levels that might be easier. this is very linear game play. lame. i didn't play past level 5 because i didn't have fun. trying to float past spikes is a pain. i like the idea of infinite jumps. most people make a platformer and try to avoid that, but i realized, this is just a rocket flying game with a rocket that has too much boost with one key press. the music was pretty good. i enjoying that. perhaps if you changed the level design to create a longer learning curve the game might be fun.

What do you mean with longer learning curve? Could you explain a bit better please?

Also I think that the game would be too easy if I gave the player lives or health, or something like that. There are levels like levels 7 and 8 that you could pass right away if you didn't die immediately when colliding with spikes.

#4 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

What do you mean with longer learning curve? Could you explain a bit better please?

Also I think that the game would be too easy if I gave the player lives or health, or something like that. There are levels like levels 7 and 8 that you could pass right away if you didn't die immediately when colliding with spikes.

i played again and got to get to level three, and i realized that it was exactly the same as the last two levels. getting through the same size gap over and over perfectly appears to be what this game is about. no leaning curve, either do it, or stop playing.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#5 FAAAEBS

FAAAEBS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

i played again and got to get to level three, and i realized that it was exactly the same as the last two levels. getting through the same size gap over and over perfectly appears to be what this game is about. no leaning curve, either do it, or stop playing.

I still don't get what you mean with learning curve. I understand you think there should be more variety in terms of level design, and that there should be more things in some levels instead of just that gap of spikes, but it would help me if you could explain what you mean by longer learning curve.

#6 Markonicus

Markonicus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

I suppose by learning curve he meant you making the game in such a way that it get's harder and offers new gameplay tricks as you complete more levels. That's the driving force behind many games. You make the first few levels easy so players can learn the basics and get comfortable with the game and controls, then the levels get harder and so on. And also you don't throw everything at the player from the very beginning, e.g. if the game features upgrades and power ups player can't get them all early on but gets them slowly as he advances trough levels.

#7 FAAAEBS

FAAAEBS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

I suppose by learning curve he meant you making the game in such a way that it get's harder and offers new gameplay tricks as you complete more levels. That's the driving force behind many games. You make the first few levels easy so players can learn the basics and get comfortable with the game and controls, then the levels get harder and so on. And also you don't throw everything at the player from the very beginning, e.g. if the game features upgrades and power ups player can't get them all early on but gets them slowly as he advances trough levels.

Oh ok i get it now.
But I don't know how I could have done that. The game is pretty much the same for the whole game until like level 5 or 6 (not sure which one) where the moving spikes are introduced, and so are the surprise spikes. Besides that there wasn't really any way of making a learning curve in this game.

Edited by FAAAEBS, 18 August 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#8 FAAAEBS

FAAAEBS

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

Any more feedback on the game? Several people have played my game, but only slayer 64 really said what he thought about the game.

#9 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

he's not saying that your game does work like that, he's saying it should.
the game is too easy and too simple.

every level should be progressively more difficult, and once it's too difficult to complete it, add a new feature to the gameplay.

poof_sig.png