#1 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:50 PM

Divided Existence

This game reflects on the current generation leaving a world behind for the future generations to use. As you control your first character, you must be thinking about the next as you leave a path for your offspring to follow, ultimately both reaching your goal.

Requires foresight, patience and platforming skills.

There is also a wonderful cutscene if you complete the game!

DOWNLOAD FROM YYG SANDBOX

Thanks to Nijg whose music I used in this version.

Screenies:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Jam Devlog:

Spoiler

#2 Bill23

Bill23

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

Very interesting concept and nice gameplay. The engine seemed very solid, and I had no major problems controlling the game ( jumping up through single block openings was occasionally a bit frustrating.) Graphics could use quite a bit of improvement, but didn't really detract from the game. Besides the graphics, it all seemed very polished (especially the menu) which is very impressive to me, since according to your dev log, you didn't start until almost halfway through the time. Good job!
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Very interesting concept and nice gameplay. The engine seemed very solid, and I had no major problems controlling the game ( jumping up through single block openings was occasionally a bit frustrating.) Graphics could use quite a bit of improvement, but didn't really detract from the game. Besides the graphics, it all seemed very polished (especially the menu) which is very impressive to me, since according to your dev log, you didn't start until almost halfway through the time. Good job!

Thanks for the feedback! Thinking about it I don't think the 1st block you control actually needs to be the same size as those single block openings you mentioned, I guess I never thought to make it smaller: maybe by 8 pixels to 24x24 would have made it easier in general.

Graphics are the main part of the game which took the biggest hit due to me coming up with the idea so late! The menu (as I said in the devlog) is poorly coded, part of the beauty of jaming I guess, is that you can get away with clunky robust code which just does the job. The level selection part actually uses a for loop between i=1 and 5, and then I replicated each line of code needed with i+5, and i+10, so all I was really doing was changing coordinates here and there, but there are an unnecessary amount of clutter in that draw event :yucky:

Anyway thanks again for playing, and I hope you enjoyed! :)

#4 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

GameDevDan has uploaded a video review to youtube as part of his series of reviews for the 7th GMC Jam! You can view the video here!

#5 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

Well all the results are in, Divided Existence placed 6th in the 7th GMC Jam! It also got voted "Best Use Of Theme", so thanks to everyone who took the time to play, review and vote for the game :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#6 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

It gives me great pleasure to announce that Divided Existence has today been awarded the "Best Design winner" award by Rusty! It goes down in the "Hall of Infamy as a Best Design winner!"

Posted Image

#7 TerraFriedSheep

TerraFriedSheep

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3273 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

This banner was made by TheUltimate:

Posted Image

Thanks! :thumbsup:

#8 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

I got this glorious bug here:

for object obj_player:

Error in code at line 29:
repeat (abs(round(vspd)))
^
at position 20: Unknown variable vspd

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#9 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

i don't like that the game forces perfection. i should be allowed to hit an obstacle or two and still win. i don't why there's any kind of level screen, it's not like i'll be able to skip levels, i gotta do them all one after the other. i guess it's because i could go back and gather all the coins, but why would want those stupid coins anyways? the game needs better graphics.

the music wasn't real bad, it was relaxing i suppose. looks like it's got some standard platformer obstacles. the space i was in creating the new space for the blue box is a really good game mechanic. it's a nice puzzle element as well as platforming. it's pretty much what made me decide to download and play. it comes across as interesting and original. i've only seen that kind of game mechanic in one other game around the gm world. good job.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png