• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zyrac

Zyrac

GMC Member

• 31 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

In my 2d platformer adventure game atm I have spike traps, spring jumps, falling cages and rocks, web that slows you down, coins, gems, healing potions, soon to be falling bombs that explode, speed potions, and obstacles (jumping puzzles etc) if you fall you land in lava, different backgrounds.

I plan for the player to have 3 lives and a health bar.

I'm still not sure whether I should have shooting in the game, its just to much to do and I cant draw for crap (cant add my bow onto my pre-made player sprite).

I want to somehow incorporate killing monsters in the game. I have a couple of monster sprites, but im not sure how i should go about them. What are some other ways to kill monsters other than falling on their head or shooting them?

I just want some recommendations to make my game have more stuff to do, have more things that kill you, more stuff to dodge, jump, traps etc. but ive ran out of ideas.

thanks.

#2 YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4011 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Moved to 'Game Ideas and Design', since this is idea development rather than a question about implementation.

Of ideas to add, one could make it so player can/has to lure monsters into falling down the holes with either nothing or deadly objects inside.

#3 Insert Name Here

Insert Name Here

The Unknown Ninja

• GMC:Member
  • 599 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

In my 2d platformer adventure game atm I have spike traps, spring jumps, falling cages and rocks, web that slows you down, coins, gems, healing potions, soon to be falling bombs that explode, speed potions, and obstacles (jumping puzzles etc) if you fall you land in lava, different backgrounds.

I plan for the player to have 3 lives and a health bar.

I'm still not sure whether I should have shooting in the game, its just to much to do and I cant draw for crap (cant add my bow onto my pre-made player sprite).

I want to somehow incorporate killing monsters in the game. I have a couple of monster sprites, but im not sure how i should go about them. What are some other ways to kill monsters other than falling on their head or shooting them?

I just want some recommendations to make my game have more stuff to do, have more things that kill you, more stuff to dodge, jump, traps etc. but ive ran out of ideas.

thanks.

A box you can push that shoots flame. It falls and can kill enemies, melt ice, burn wood etc.

#4 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 454 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

I agree with YellowAfterLife, trapping enemies would be great. There are other ways to trap them too, using the environment. For example, dropping crates on them. Good luck!

#5 masterofhisowndomain

masterofhisowndomain

The Designer

• GMC Member
  • 3650 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm currently making my own platformer game, so I'm hesitant to impart too much advice in case I subconsciously transfer my entire game and its ideas over to you ... But, anyway:

What are some other ways to kill monsters other than falling on their head or shooting them?

Eating them; this is a technique used in Yoshi and Kirby games. Picking them up; perhaps you are only able to kill them by throwing them from a great height or into other enemies/obstacles -- this makes confrontations very dependent on situations, and means that the player can't just kill their way through entire levels.

As for other things to do: secret levels are an obvious choice; time trials -- completing each level in the best time (to obtain varying degrees of rewards). Other ideas for content might spring into mind if you give the game a proper storyline -- you often find that you create environments and their associated monsters/obstacles/challenges to fit in with plot points. :)

#6 mgb519

mgb519

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 47 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

Maybe it could vary per enemy, so you take different strategies to deal with different enemies. Like a pair of enemies which die when they come in contact with each other, so you get them to collide, or something like that.

#7 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8623 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Stuff that breaks are always nice. You should have platforms that collapse when touched, walls you can break, walls enemies can break, walls and floors that can be broken using big things you can move around, etc. Explosions are nice too. You should have exploding barrels and living bomb enemies.

Gameplay-wise, the destruction could be used to beat enemies. For instance you could let the player pick up enemies and throw on other enemies, and only have some enemies that actually deal damage when hurled (say, the bomb enemy) while the other enemies just return to normal after bouncing off their target.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users