From what i understand the update process goes something like this.
- GM updater checks for a new version and downloads a file to /GameMaker-Studio/UpgradeZIP/
- The file is extracted to GameMaker-Studio/Upgrade
- the /UpgradeZip/ is then deleted
- The contents of of /Upgrade/ are then moved to /GameMaker-Studio/
Its during this last step that update fails, as Kaspersky is seemingly preventing the updater from moving files, causing the updater to stop responding (seems to get stuck in a loop). I've also noticed that during this last part the updater records progress to Trace.log, including errors.
Once the updater has been terminated, GameMaker:Studio will then fail to open again. If you watch the task manager process list you can see it open and then close. This seems caused by GM:S (probably the updater) finding that the /Upgrade/ folder still exists, and doesn't know what to do with it anymore so it closes.
This can be fixed in a few ways:
- Manually move the contents of the /Upgrade/ folder to the /GameMaker-Studio/ folder.
- Delete the /GameMaker-Studio/Upgrade/ folder and relaunch (Note: This will download the update again).
- Uninstall/Reinstall GameMaker:Studio (this will install the latest version).
The reason i think its Kaspersky is i've found that the update will work fine if i temporally disable protection while installing it.
If you have anymore information you can add to this please post it. If you're having similar issues but caused by something other than Kaspersky, please also post.
Trace.log file size issue has been fixed in v1.0.303 (see: http://bugs.yoyogame...iew.php?id=5489)