Photo

Android - do you want hardware keyboard support?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Android - do you want hardware keyboard support?

Do you want them supported?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

Quote from the Bugtracker.

In general Android keyboards are not supported (it's not something we are planning on doing) - though if there is enough support for it we will consider it (start a poll in the gmc.yoyogames.com) - Only the XPeria Play is officially supported.

So... cast your vote now!

I have an Android phone with a hardware keboard and I think using hardware hardware keyboards on tablets is very useful. While the majority of Android devices out there don't use a hardware keyboard, I think that if we don't have the ability to use it, we may be missing out on a niche market that could potentially make or break some games. Not to mention that however unreasonable it may be, I'm sure some people will get reviews saying "I got a keyboard and can't use it. Don't buy this app!" and they rate it one star, or something along those lines. I definitely want hardware keyboard support and can think of many uses for it. I'm much more interested in hitting a type of audience that will say "This app supports hardware keyboards unlike most other apps, you should buy it!", than trying to make an app that's trageting a much broader market that is already filled with similar apps.

That's just my opinion anyway. What are your thoughts?

#2 cotycrg

cotycrg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:09 AM

I 100% agree with you. Hardware keyboard + an async way to pull up the touch keypad on Android/iOS devices would be absolutely wonderful.

I remember back in GM8.1 and below GM would keep track of what keys were being pressed, always leaving them in a string format that you could either cache yourself or clear. It'd be neat to have another system like that. Or just to use the keyboard at all at this point, because really we could do -that- ourselves..

#3 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

They are working on an async input that pulls up the on screen keyboard but it will be nice when it's finished.

And thanks for your support, we need as many people on board as possible to get Yoyo Games to agree!

#4 Kouri

Kouri

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

You get a vote from me. While I've moved on to a touch-only device, I do have very fond memories of playing Cordy on my HTC G2 with the keyboard acting as a gamepad. My parents both use keyboard Androids now (my dad has the G2), so I'm sure it would be nice for them to use it when I develop apps for their tastes.

#5 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1929 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:01 AM

I of course voted yes(I doubt anyone will vote no). I happen to have a G2 so I could test this. There will be a slight catch to this though. Having the onscreen keyboard popup(to replicate a hardware keyboard where there is none) will take up space, and so the game experience will possibly be different depending on the device. Also, since no iOS device has a keyboard(unless you are using a compatible bluetooth keyboard) that little catch I mention would apply to that as well.

#6 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail

• GMC Member
  • 5806 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:11 AM

I definitely vote yes.
I had to make my own keyboard in my Studge game, haha.

Edited by Scylla, 12 July 2012 - 06:12 AM.

#7 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

I see one of the mods has added "Don't care" to the poll. That was a good idea becase I don't think we would get many "no"s but we may get a decent amount of "don't care"s.

Still, this topic has a decent amount of views and not many votes. Now you have no excuse not to vote people!

#8 filulilus

filulilus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Don't care (2 votes [15.38%])

Hmmm, I'm actually suprised that so many of you like it to be suported :unsure:
I feel that Android games are best when touch screen is used and I rather see that YYG put time into something else at the moment.

EDIT:

Hmmm, I might add that I never had a phone with keyboard hardware :tongue:

Edited by filulilus, 13 July 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#9 cotycrg

cotycrg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hardware input is best for when strings are needing input.

Say, you wanted to make a game where you could name your character.

#10 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1923 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm definitely a hardware keyboard kind of guy...

#11 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

I specifically got a phone with a hardware keyboard because of how handy they are. I even use apps that allow me to use my phone as a keyboard for my tablet and PC. These are just a few things that hardware keyboards are very useful for, but I'm sure that we will be able to find fantastic ways to use them with GM:S if YoYo will add support for us!

#12 Nervware

Nervware

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

I wouldn't say its an immediate priority, but one that would make a good addition.

#13 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:18 AM

It's a priority to me! I'm dying to make use of the keyboard!
If there is hardware keyboard support, there's a good chance I (and any Android users) will be able to map other sorts of controllers to to the hardware keys and be able to use those too.
I can map a PS3 controller to keys and it works for anything I've tried so far!

#14 filulilus

filulilus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 966 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

It's a priority to me! I'm dying to make use of the keyboard!
If there is hardware keyboard support, there's a good chance I (and any Android users) will be able to map other sorts of controllers to to the hardware keys and be able to use those too.
I can map a PS3 controller to keys and it works for anything I've tried so far!

Connecting a controller to your Android device would be awesome... (especially for emulators)
But I don't really think that's the main idea with Android devices. :tongue:

Yet again, I'm not against keyboard hardware, I just think there are other more important priorities right now.

#15 treatlikeobjects

treatlikeobjects

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

So I have a game that relies mainly on keyboard keys, so what happens if I import that game do the bindings get wiped out? I was thinking of putting up an onscreen keyboard and just using mouse enter to get it to work.(will that work or are there special functions for each platform). My game has 4 buttons and a spacebar. I was hoping to port with android with keyboard because my game shouldn't require anything else to port.

#16 cotycrg

cotycrg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

So I have a game that relies mainly on keyboard keys, so what happens if I import that game do the bindings get wiped out? I was thinking of putting up an onscreen keyboard and just using mouse enter to get it to work.(will that work or are there special functions for each platform). My game has 4 buttons and a spacebar. I was hoping to port with android with keyboard because my game shouldn't require anything else to port.

Touch buttons are easy to do. I assume the 4 buttons are actually movement, so you could make an analog stick for simplicity.

#17 filulilus

filulilus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 966 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

You can make analog buttons with the touch screen.

draw_set_color(c_black)
speed = 0
if mouse_check_button(mb_left)
{
 if point_distance(100, 300, mouse_x, mouse_y) < 100
 {
  draw_set_color(c_red)
  speed = 5
  direction = point_direction(100, 300, mouse_x, mouse_y)
 }
}
draw_circle(100, 300, 100, 0)

#18 Tennx

Tennx

The Entrepreneur

• GMC Member
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:47 AM

Voted no.

Keyboard Android devices are less and less everyday passes. I think it would be a waste of efforts of YYG Team implementing that functionality.

#19 Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Voted no.

Keyboard Android devices are less and less everyday passes. I think it would be a waste of efforts of YYG Team implementing that functionality.

Android tablets are becoming more common, as well as attachable keyboards. It would be a waste of potential not to allow people to use the option.

#20 David Batty

David Batty

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

I voted yes, not for my phone or tablet but for set top boxes running Android. It won't be too long before we have a forum area for set top box developers, our content will be consumed on the TV in the living room. This will usually have a wireless or bluetooth keyboard for input and therefore interaction with the users. The TV doesn't have a touch screen and nobody is near enough to reach it anyway so a keyboard is the only way to go.

#21 Tennx

Tennx

The Entrepreneur

• GMC Member
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Voted no.

Android tablets are becoming more common, as well as attachable keyboards. It would be a waste of potential not to allow people to use the option.

If Android tables are becoming more common, that only supports what I said. If market become to have attachable keyboards, then it would be re-mapping Windows/Mac/HTML5 capability to use virtual keys, but if that's the case, I think that capability would only become in GM:S "1.5" (if it doesn't get in GM:Next)

I voted yes, not for my phone or tablet but for set top boxes running Android. It won't be too long before we have a forum area for set top box developers, our content will be consumed on the TV in the living room. This will usually have a wireless or bluetooth keyboard for input and therefore interaction with the users. The TV doesn't have a touch screen and nobody is near enough to reach it anyway so a keyboard is the only way to go.

This answer convinced me. STB are more affordable than tablets, but again the mechanics involved in gameplay are way too different than the original implementation for Android.

Anyways, if this is implemented, be prepared to make games for 2 kind of players (Keyboard and Touch), both for Android. Well, kinda sad, this would break the main objetive of GM:S of exporting to multiple platforms... "saving time in programming". If you don't program games for twice, then you'll reduce the objetive market in 50%, that's another disadventage.

#22 cotycrg

cotycrg

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:56 PM

Voted no.

If Android tables are becoming more common, that only supports what I said. If market become to have attachable keyboards, then it would be re-mapping Windows/Mac/HTML5 capability to use virtual keys, but if that's the case, I think that capability would only become in GM:S "1.5" (if it doesn't get in GM:Next)

This answer convinced me. STB are more affordable than tablets, but again the mechanics involved in gameplay are way too different than the original implementation for Android.

Anyways, if this is implemented, be prepared to make games for 2 kind of players (Keyboard and Touch), both for Android. Well, kinda sad, this would break the main objetive of GM:S of exporting to multiple platforms... "saving time in programming". If you don't program games for twice, then you'll reduce the objetive market in 50%, that's another disadventage.

Kinda late to the conversation..but what on earth are you on about? Programming two sets of controls and letting users use whichever to want to hard for you or something? Depending on the game, if you're making a game that needs actual controls, or a keyboard; it would only take a few minutes to copy/paste the input code and change the functions to match the necessary controller's functions.

Seriously now, don't be a baby. Just because you don't love the flexibility of GM:S doesn't mean everyone else won't. Anyone voting no is just silly, unless I missed something an implementing support for basic keyboards and other input is just some impossibly difficult task for YoYoGames. Yeah, it shouldn't be a priority, but should definitely come in the future.

#23 halo shg

halo shg

Programmer

• GMC Member
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I own a Samsung Galaxy S3, so I don't have a hardware keyboard. I also own an iPad and a Nexus 7 as tablets, and they don't have hardware keyboards either.
But -- that doesn't mean I don't use hardware keys!
I also own:
  • Bluetooth keyboard
  • PS3 controller with the SIXAXIS app
  • iMpulse Game Controller
I'm not the only one owning one of those. If the functionality is there, make use of it. It will add to the comfort and playability of your game, and thus drive up sales and reviews. After spending $500+ dollars on Game Maker Studio: Master (one of my more expensive software purchases), I'm surprised that this is even debatable. It's like buying a very expensive car and the the manufacturers are debating on whether or not to add auxiliary sound in. Sure, a lot of people use Bluetooth, but that doesn't mean it's not valuable.

#24 TeamSteeve

TeamSteeve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1300 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

People have pointed out some good points.
If Android was only for mobile phones then I wouldn't bother pushing for hardware keyboard support, but more and more devices seem to be able to use Android and as we go into the future I think hardware keyboard support will be important.

I hate it when people say things like, "but it'll take more programming". Of course it will, but that's what we do. Making games for Android is difficult in general because of all the different device capabilities, but that doesn't mean we should only develop for the mainstream ones. I love the challenge! That kind of stuff drives me to want to make good games that will work for most devices!

Edited by TeamSteeve, 08 October 2012 - 01:26 AM.

#25 Loganvz

Loganvz

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

I have an Xperia Mini Pro(1gHz,512mbRAM,480x360) with a hardware keyboard, it sound great to have keyboard support, since my screen has a very high DPI, and the screen is only 3 inches, so it makes it hard to track precise movements with my fingers. I vote yes.

#26 mazimadu

mazimadu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

I voted yes, but there is still a much bigger problem.

Android being a versatile operating system is going to have in the future many different I/O options not currently supported. This is not just keyboards. But could include Game pads (think Ouya), remotes (think Google TV), and even custom hardware (such as with Arduino). This isn't even taking into account possible hardware configurations or multiple standards.

What we need is to have the extension system revamped for mobile devices. This way we can add the functionality we want ourselves without having to ask Yoyo for these features. Personally, I would like the option of targeting specific android devices myself by taking advantage of the hardware libraries via native code/Java.

Too bad i have to wait about 2+ versions for that to happen if the GM studio road map is to be believed.

Edited by mazimadu, 08 October 2012 - 04:43 AM.

#27 Shin0bi

Shin0bi

Art

• GMC Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

I voted yes.

It would be awesome if GM could also support the USB plugin keyboards, mainly because a lot of devices don't have built in keyboards...

I only need this for an IDE that i'm making, but it would be very useful in other non-game apps.

Make it happen YoYo!

Shin0bi

Edited by Shin0bi, 01 December 2013 - 04:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users