#1 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

Unlimited

Unlimited is a 2d RPG/shooter with an epic story set in the world of sci-fi! Choose between friendship, loyalty, greed, power, and peace, and alter the outcome of war! Evolve an arsenal of weaponry, and use it to annihilate all who stand between you and your goals! Fight against armies of metal and men, and come out on top... or die trying. Forge your own path, and make the most of it.

Next version possibilities:
Grenades!
More interesting weapons for Gov alignment!

Version 1.6 out!
-New difficulty balancing!
-Rechargeable shield given to Gov alignment!
-Glitches fixed!

Version 1.5 out!
-CONTROLLER SUPPORT

Game Name: Unlimited

Category: 2d RPG/Shooter

Vista Compatible: Yes (AFAIK)

Screen size: 320 x 240 (starts scaled to 640x480)

Changes Screen Resolution: no

Mulitplayer: no

Download Link: Box.com

Screenies: See trailer above

Credit: Myself, makerofthegames, and Nitroglitch

This game is finally complete. I would appreciate any feedback to help me fix bugs, difficulty, balancing, and so on. Let me know what you think!

Known bugs: n/a

Edited by speedchuck, 18 April 2015 - 06:35 PM.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#2 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

I've played the first 5 minutes or so and I'm liking what I've played so far. It's not very pretty(as you may know) and the controls are slightly too stuffed but overall it's pretty neat. I think there was some cutscene at the beginning that I missed because it only appears for like a split second.

I'll post further thoughts once I have progressed further.

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#3 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:25 PM

The music was fitting [...] and the gameplay was very fun.
I didn't play it all, but I definitely plan to get back to it later.

Thank you! I'm sure the composer will be glad to hear that.

It's not very pretty(as you may know) and the controls are slightly too stuffed but overall it's pretty neat. I think there was some cutscene at the beginning that I missed because it only appears for like a split second.

Thanks. About the graphics, we seem to have mixed opinions!

the graphics were quite good

Although we are aware that we aren't exactly master pixel artists. :sweat:
What exactly do you mean about the controls, by the way? And about the cutscene thing, it wasn't terribly important. You could always open a new save and check it out if you're curious. :tongue:

#4 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

This is a great game. Fast paced with lots of action and options. The graphics look a bit "flat" but they're still pleasing. Good sound FX too... although I couldn't hear any background music. I can play the included .mp3 files just fine -- but I just can't hear them in the game itself. (probably my computer settings...)

The controls were OK, but I had trouble with the big/long jumps. Unfortunately, I always get trapped in one particular section in Level 1. So I haven't managed to play any higher levels. I'll try again later though.

Overall, an excellent game. +1 to the authors (you'll have to share it 1/3 apiece).

#5 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thank you very much!

On a non feedback related note, the High Quality version of the soundtrack has been uploaded, here. It'll be added to the OP in a bit.

#6 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

i think the gameplay was too repetitive and the textboxes disappeared too soon sometimes. other than that is was pretty good.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#7 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

I couldn't hear any background music. I can play the included .mp3 files just fine -- but I just can't hear them in the game itself. (probably my computer settings...)

I have no idea what could be causing that problem. If you somehow fix it, or have any idea for fixing it, let us know.

The controls were OK, but I had trouble with the big/long jumps. Unfortunately, I always get trapped in one particular section in Level 1. So I haven't managed to play any higher levels. I'll try again later though.

That's strange, could we have more info? I'd like to know why you got stuck and if there is anything we should fix...

Overall, an excellent game. +1 to the authors (you'll have to share it 1/3 apiece).

Thank you so very much. Unfortunately, I can only give 1/3 of a thank you. :turned:

i think the gameplay was too repetitive and the textboxes disappeared too soon sometimes. other than that is was pretty good.

Hmm, I need to go back and make sure all textboxes stay until you press Z to skip to the next one, regardless of the situation.

Thanks for the compliments and plays, both of you!

Edited by speedchuck, 15 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#8 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

I like this game! It reminds me of the retro classic Contra.

Maybe include the ability to shoot downwards...for enemies that wait for you at the bottom of steps.

Also...I wish it took up more of the screen.

.....................................................My Websites................................................         My Videos             

754997_orig.jpg  4295588_orig.jpg  1913238_orig.jpg  5184980_orig.png  

#9 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

I like this game! It reminds me of the retro classic Contra.

Maybe include the ability to shoot downwards...for enemies that wait for you at the bottom of steps.

Also...I wish it took up more of the screen.

Thanks for the feedback! I am not planning to make the player shoot downwards, as that would completely overhaul the entire game. There are many ways to deal with those enemies, and there are certain guns that give you an advantage on higher ground.
And if you want to resize the screen, you can. :P Controls are in F1, you have to use the Num pad... I may need to change that for laptop users. Anyways, thanks for playing!

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#10 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

Awesome game, you guys! I really enjoyed it and I can tell you spent a long time on it. There's plenty of action and it never gets old.
The graphics are a little plain, but the effects and stuff more than make up for it. Love the choice of music. And the story. And the gameplay. Yeah. The branching storylines and upgrading are awesome.

Anyway, the balancing between Government and ARK is pretty equal, and I thought it was pretty cool how you can get the same attacks as the bosses. It's quite fun both ways. And yes, this is exactly what it sounds like. I played the game twice to try both main options. :)
To be honest though, I was slightly disappointed that the story choices were so black-and-white, where it was always "pick a side." I was kinda hoping for choices that would still affect the story on a smaller scale, but I understand that it would have taken a lot longer to make if there were too many forks in the road.

There's also a glitch in the level with the white things that shoot you upward: If you do it slowly enough, you'll get stuck right at the top. You can move left and right, but you can't jump and it leaves you just slightly too low to get up to the next part.

I have one suggestion: It'd be really really nice if you could add text underneath your weapons. It's easy to tell the elemental powers apart, but when you have like 10 guns and are in the middle of a fight, it's hard to tell them apart at a glance since they're all nearly the same colour and you have to remember which order they're in.
Okay, I lied, I have another suggestion: Can you make the gun upgrades use A and S instead of 1 and 2? It's easier to reach, and you're not likely going to be switching guns midway through the upgrade anyway.

Overall it's a great game. Nice work. :)

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -

#11 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

A fan of staplers

• GMC Member
  • 840 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

Niiiice. Downloading now, looks promising.

This is my signature. Isn't it nice?

#12 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Awesome game, you guys! I really enjoyed it and I can tell you spent a long time on it. There's plenty of action and it never gets old.
The graphics are a little plain, but the effects and stuff more than make up for it. Love the choice of music. And the story. And the gameplay. Yeah. The branching storylines and upgrading are awesome.

Anyway, the balancing between Government and ARK is pretty equal, and I thought it was pretty cool how you can get the same attacks as the bosses. It's quite fun both ways. And yes, this is exactly what it sounds like. I played the game twice to try both main options. :)

Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

To be honest though, I was slightly disappointed that the story choices were so black-and-white, where it was always "pick a side." I was kinda hoping for choices that would still affect the story on a smaller scale, but I understand that it would have taken a lot longer to make if there were too many forks in the road.

Well, if you do include all different flavors, there are six different endings, giving you different final bosses depending on who is dead, and how loyal you have been, and so on. One of the things I am hoping to do in future post-release updates, as well as fixing glitches and other problems, is to add a few cutscenes in some places to really show more of the consequences of your choices. I don't think I will add any more, however, because six endings is quite a lot to keep up with.

There's also a glitch in the level with the white things that shoot you upward: If you do it slowly enough, you'll get stuck right at the top. You can move left and right, but you can't jump and it leaves you just slightly too low to get up to the next part.

I had so many glitches with that part it wasn't funny, but I thought I had ironed those all out. It was just suggested by motg that I allow the player to press down to turn the gravity back on, and that seems like the best solution. I'll fix that as soon as possible.

I have one suggestion: It'd be really really nice if you could add text underneath your weapons. It's easy to tell the elemental powers apart, but when you have like 10 guns and are in the middle of a fight, it's hard to tell them apart at a glance since they're all nearly the same colour and you have to remember which order they're in.
Okay, I lied, I have another suggestion: Can you make the gun upgrades use A and S instead of 1 and 2? It's easier to reach, and you're not likely going to be switching guns midway through the upgrade anyway.

Overall it's a great game. Nice work. :)

Text underneath the weapon display in the corner? I think that would be useful. Making the gun upgrades A and S could work, but let me ask this: Should I change the story choices to A and S as well?

Thanks for playing!

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#13 Lukasmah

Lukasmah

A fan of staplers

• GMC Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

I sugessted this game to Trollsplatterer for a feature, he said screenshots look promising and he will play it when it's over. Your game might get featured...

This is my signature. Isn't it nice?

#14 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

UPDATE!
I fixed a few requests, added text under the weapons, fixed the elevator glitch, added heath bars for the fourth boss, and added one or two other little details to the game.
Next update will include:
A revised version of one of the late game gun's upgrade system.
A new gun that one of the final bosses carries. ;)

Enjoy!

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#15 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

A new gun that one of the final bosses carries. ;)

That is to say, you'll be able to find one of the final boss's guns ingame, it isn't unlocked by beating said boss. :turned:

#16 Shadow Array

Shadow Array

Roleblocker

• GMC Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

I did a Let's Play for this game!: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GUmPv9TcNKI

Edited by Shadow Array, 31 August 2012 - 06:32 PM.

"Oh, big, big mistake, really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you there's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap....Me."

#17 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

Just remembered about this game and played it again with the new update.

I must say, the giant fists boss is a lot easier with the health bars.

Good, glad to hear it! Most people that got stuck anywhere in the game got stuck on that boss.

Anyway, I beat the game, and it was really fun and well designed. I'm now planning to play it again, but pick different weapons, story branches, etc.

Sounds great! Thanks for playing! I am interested to know what endings people are choosing, as well as weapons. Would be cool to know. Enjoy your replaying!

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#18 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:34 PM

Unlimited updated!

New features:
A revised version of one of the late game gun's upgrade paths.
A bunch of weapon balancing

That is it for now. Enjoy!

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#19 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Cool...I enjoyed this game from the 1st version you released...Downloading the new version now...

.....................................................My Websites................................................         My Videos             

#20 SariusGames

SariusGames

GMC Member

• 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Lol the video of Unlimited looks epic man! I liked how you also included melee weapons and magic-style projectile weapons also. :D
"Dreams are our view into the future \m/"
| commentary | music | twitter |

#21 Great Gamer

Great Gamer

Enderman Hunter

• GMC Member
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

Really good game, besides the fact that my slow computer will make the game lag for me. I chose the ARK servant ending. My favorite weapon is the lightning.

Edited by Great Gamer, 31 October 2012 - 11:31 PM.

If we ever get to claim stars for ourselves, I want to claim a pulsar.

A robot's favorite website

#22 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:14 AM

UPDATE! Version 1.4!

-Awesome new cutscenes that flesh out some of the characters!
-A new hard-to-get ultimate weapon!
-The ability to quick-drop by pressing Down in midair!
-Several fixes with bugs and balancing

Edited by speedchuck, 01 December 2012 - 04:42 AM.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#23 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Update! It seems that the entire time this game has been released, a part of the intro has not been playing, and I somehow didn't notice. I fixed that, and added some music to the main menu.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#24 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Update! I have added difficulty settings, so that more people that might have gotten stuck before can experience the game. I also tweaked the levels to make them look better and fixed some bugs. Enjoy!

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#25 PGA Turkey

PGA Turkey

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 29 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Wow there is a great game ! I love FPS [fast-paced shooter] shooter genre , the game is very action filled ! The weapon combinations are great 1647086 is a lot ! it is fun but maybe improve the graphic[s] ?
I am like a phoenix... I mean, Turkey.

MY GAME: http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=567766

#26 supmaster004

supmaster004

Plot twister

• GMC Member
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I chose the world domination ending :)
The best weapon is psi sparkles thing, just hold down X and walk past people.

Haywire lightining is very cool against bosses.

Edited by supmaster004, 24 January 2013 - 09:15 AM.

You like what I do? Like my Facebook page :D

#27 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

That was definitely one of our favorite endings. I'm not sure if it's still in the game, but there used (and might still is) an easy exploit to win that boss. You're not supposed to be able to, but you might be able to charge up the orbs while laying on the ground, and that specific boss will eventually just walk into it and get hurt. :laugh:

#28 ThunkGames

ThunkGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Love it, specifically nice retro graphics and fast game play!

#29 ShadowCat

ShadowCat

GMC Member

• 16 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

Impressive game bro!

1zmh5d4.jpg

~Rawr~ Hey!, Check out my game, Sushi Survival! I'd deeply appreciate it if you played and rated it ='D.

#30 shadow gamer

shadow gamer

Glory to Vanu

• GMC Member
  • 634 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:57 PM

Weee!!! I just reviewed your game at http://gamemakerhub....limited_11.html! Hope you enjoy!

Content Expressed below may be outdated or the post above may not reflect my current opinion. Goodday to all.

O2BqYnd.png

Beam Down, Drone: Sci-Fi Combat Platformer 

#31 Panzergeist

Panzergeist

Insane Box Man

• GMC Member
  • 1241 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

I really like the graphical style presented in this game. really good work :D

[ ._.]> Where am I...

#32 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

Thank you!

Update:11/02/13

-Added better/more sound effects for elemental attacks

-Fixed 2 glitches

-Hopefully didn't break anything

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#33 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

Fanart for Christmas!

speedchuck.png

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#34 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

I am now making this game compatible with Xbox 360 controllers. Look for that update coming soon, and suggestions regarding control preferences would be welcome.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#35 DarkFalzX

DarkFalzX

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:04 AM

Oh - cool! Good luck with the controller implementation-thing - it really isn't super difficult unless you already have legacy controller support, in which case it will be hard to retain both.
I suggest using:
A - Jump/Select
B - Cancel/back in menus
X/RB - Fire

...or something like that.

PS: I like it how you kept your topic alive almost singlehandedly all this time! I think I need to do that with mine - eventually people have got to pay attention to what probably is the prettiest GM game this year: )

HW5P7IN.png and iOdNkOP.png

#36 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thanks! It's coming along well, I must say the game is beginning to feel good on a controller. There will be quite a lot of testing done before I release it, bit it is doing well!

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#37 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:08 AM

UNLIMITED UPDATE!

Finally, I have finished putting controller support into the game. I also added some sound effects, balanced the game a bit, and generally tweaked it to make it better. All of you with controllers, please try it and give me some feedback!

Edited by speedchuck, 16 February 2014 - 05:08 AM.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#38 Haart

Haart

GMC Member

• 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Nice Game !

#39 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Update coming soon that will fix some slowdown that I discovered, and add visual cues and effects.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#40 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

UPDATED!

Fixed glitches, balanced some weaponry and levels.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#41 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 379 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

I'm glad you keep updating it...It shows dedication!

Game keeps getting better...

#42 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:55 AM

UPDATED

I went to a Con recently and showed off Unlimited looking for feedback! I got a lot of positive feedback, like: "When you modify your weapon, the whole game changes. This is really good." and "The controls feel really tight!" 10 people even asked for the game, and one person sat and completed the game right there!! It was great. I also got a lot of feedback as far as fixes I can make, so I did, and here is the new version.

-Boss 1 & 2 given visual cues

-Bullet collisions with walls no longer override enemy collisions

-Stun saber does extra damage on enemies it cannot stun

-Critical hit numbers fixed

-Shortened the range on the Void

-Clarified a level design quirk

-Added a weak easter egg shot on the special secret gun

-Made doors that are usable slightly more noticeable

-Fixed a design flaw on one of the level 6 bosses

-Added a visual cue for hitting enemies

Any feedback is appreciated!

Edited by speedchuck, 24 May 2014 - 04:15 AM.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#43 makerofthegames

makerofthegames

My last custom title

• GMC Member
  • 7629 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:46 AM

That convention was good times, BUT WHERE WAS ROCK BAND I ASK YOU!? WHERE!? *flips table*

#44 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:10 AM

ACCIDENTAL FANART OF UNLIMITED, BY The Ch8t!

speedchuck_final_zpsf45a9713.png

This picture would actually work in canon for one of the endings, I think.

Edited by speedchuck, 28 September 2014 - 04:11 AM.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#45 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

UPDATE!

Today I have made some changes. The Government alignment now has a shield a la Borderlands and Halo. The annoying generator in level two now refills your health when killed. Certain enemies have been made more easy in easy mode, including the mech boss. And finally, a weapon has been fixed that was overpowered because of a glitch.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, shooter, platformer, 2d, adventure