3 replies to this topic

#1 ryguydavis

ryguydavis

GMC Member

• 277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

Posted Image

Thrown Down a Hole is an attempt to approach the dungeon crawler genre from a new angle. Rather than stressing combat, inventory management, and complicated rules, it focuses on speed, stealth, and quick thinking. The intentionally minimal style is supposed to keep the game free of clutter and place the focus on a few core gameplay elements.

Story:
You play as a man who has been tossed into a giant, labyrinthine hole by an angry emperor. You reason that if you are stealthy enough, you should be able to escape the treacherous pit without coming to any harm.

Controls:
Arrow Keys or WASD

Category: Arcade, Rogue-like
File Size: 6.73 mb
GM Version: GM8.1
Vista Compatible: Yes
Changes Screen Resolution: No
Download zip

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I am looking for critical feedback before I call this a finished project. Please review this as if you did not know it was made with Gamemaker. Instead, pretend you stumbled across it on Armorgames or some similarly popular gaming portal.

Questions I need answered are along these lines:

• Did the game retain your interest all the way to the end? If not, for what reason? Can you think of something which would remedy the situation?
  • Did the game run smoothly, or did the fps drop at any point? (You can check the fps by pressing F2)
  • The gold currently has no real function other than score. Was this enough of a reason to collect it, or would you prefer a different use? Should it even be in the game? (Remember, I'm aiming for an uncomplicated game design here, no extravagant shops.)

Download zip

Thanks,
Ryan Davis
Posted Image

#2 jayslaygames

jayslaygames

GMC Member

• 2 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Hi, i first would like to start by saying i like you game. but i do indeed have some input, it might just be me but the walking sound seems to get on your nerves. in my opinion it would be better if it was a bit quieter. also i think there should be more of a introduction. even if it is a sort of scrolling text in the first floor you read before you start. and last the arrow "item" that points you to the stares. i think it should vanish after a while because with it. it becomes to easy.
these are my thoughts but other then that its a great game.

#3 ryguydavis

ryguydavis

GMC Member

• 277 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

Hi, i first would like to start by saying i like you game. but i do indeed have some input, it might just be me but the walking sound seems to get on your nerves. in my opinion it would be better if it was a bit quieter. also i think there should be more of a introduction. even if it is a sort of scrolling text in the first floor you read before you start. and last the arrow "item" that points you to the stares. i think it should vanish after a while because with it. it becomes to easy.
these are my thoughts but other then that its a great game.

Thanks! I'm glad to know you like it. I had wondered about the footstep volume, it had annoyed me too. I also had issues with the compass, but did not know what to do with it until now.
Posted Image

#4 Newly Discovered

Newly Discovered

Harmonious Genius

• GMC Member
  • 2475 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:05 AM

A simple game, but nice nonetheless.
I assume holding spacebar is a debug thing? It seems like an exploit if it's part of the game.

I enjoyed playing, but I felt like the "dungeon" was made of just hallways, not corridors leading to separate rooms.
Also, I think there should be some kind of way to defend yourself. I understand it's meant to be an arcade kind of game, but once those bugs reach you, it's over, and it happens in less than a minute every time...usually before I even see gold.

Also, I agree with the foot step sound. You could set up multiple floor textures so footsteps change types every so often. One for stone, one for dirt, etc..the current footsteps sound like a hard rubber boot walking on modern day tiles...they're kind of killing the medieval theme behind finding gold in a dungeon.

Good luck!

poof_sig.png