27 replies to this topic

#1 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

NOTE: If you play my game and comment on it in this thread, I will do the same for you! Simply point me to your game's thread and I will try it out and leave feedback for you! =)

DOWNLOAD THE GAME HERE

Update! Here are two teaser pictures of the future versions:

Concept art of world 2 background:
Posted Image

A picture of the new element introduced in world 3... :thumbsup:/>
Posted Image

Another Pathway is a puzzle/platform game that combines traditional platforming with level editor elements. The levels seem impossible to beat at first, since you can't jump high or far enough. However, you can freeze time and create blocks or other helpful elements to get you to the goal. The amount and types of blocks/elements varies in every stage, as well as the areas where you are allowed to place the blocks, making you think to find the solution to each level.

See a short gameplay video (no music yet): http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i9uVxpXmXvY

The current version has 42 levels. Please try it out and give some feedback! =) All feedback is valuable!

NEW: Version 0.2 is out!

The most notable change to the previous version is the time rewind system, which allows the player to go back in time to a check point he has created previously. This can also be used when the player dies, which means you don't have to start over from the beginning of the level every time.

In the time stop mode, you're also allowed to move a single block as many times as you want with the cost of only one placement, which is useful for fine-tuning your systems.

See a video about the new Time Rewind feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIEWxS7gJTk

To tackle one more user interface problem the previous version had, there is now an option to configure the game keys
to your liking. When you load a save file, the controls you set for this save file will also be loaded.

You can now also perfectly beat a level by using as few moves as possible. Your primary goal is to use as few blocks as possible, then as few placements as possible and lastly, as few warp point connections as possible. For example, all solutions that you use only 1 block/element are always considered better than solutions that use 2 blocks/elements, even if this solution used less placements. The medal requirements will be shown once you finish the level, but you can get a medal on the first time you're playing through a level.

There are also new types of levels: the challenge levels. These are considerably harder than the normal levels, but all of them are optional. You unlock a new challenge level for each 4 medals you collect in a single world. Currently, collecting 16 medals in world 1 will unlock a total of 4 challenge levels and collecting 4 medals in world 2 will unlock one challenge level.

Counting from this version, the save files created can be used in the future versions.

The new version also has a level select screen.

Change log in summary:
-Time Rewind System (!)
-Now able to place the same block as many times as you want during a single time stop with the cost
of only one placement (good for fixing the block positions if you mess up a single placement)
-Level Select Screen
-Set the skip button to I by default to prevent accidental presses
-You can now get a medal in each level by completing the level with as few moves as possible.
-Some optimisations on the laser to make the game run faster on slower computers
-Can scroll the screen in time freeze mode in levels that are bigger than the view
-12 new levels, including 5 challenge levels! The total number of levels is now 42.
-A few particle effects added
-Fixed various small bugs
-Pressing pause (enter by default) will bring up a message to show all the controls

Future change log:
For the next version, I'm aiming to include
-at least one background tune
-some world 3 levels. World 3 will introduce TWO new elements that you can use as your tools.
-a tutorial mode where the players can try out all the tricks you can do in the game
-improved tutorials so the player will learn the game even without the tutorial mode

Later, more backgrounds are going to be added (one for each world) and graphics will be polished a bit.

The game also creates a stat file "AP Stats.txt", which you can send back to me via PM if you want. The test data in the file helps me to balance out the difficulty.

The game will save your progress each time you go back to level select. You can skip levels with N if you have beaten the current level previously and go back to the previous level with P key.

To come in the future versions (not an all-inclusive list):
-Music
-Sound Effects
-More graphical details and variation in each level
-Menus
-More levels and polishing the existing ones

Category: Puzzle/Platform
File size: 3.3 Mb
Changes Screen Resolution: no
GM version: 8.0 Pro
Direct Download: http://dl.dropbox.co...o July 2012.exe

Default Controls

NOTE: All the game keys can be changed in the main menu by choosing "configure keys".

Platforming mode

Left/Right or A/D - Run left/right
Space/W - Jump
Z - Freeze time

Placement mode

Left mouse click - select a block by clicking on a block icon / place a block / take a placed block under control again
Right mouse click - Click on a warp point to connect it with another warp point (right click the destination warp point)
Left/Right or A/D - rotate a placeable block
Space - Hide/show element icons
X - Undo last move (applies only to moves that have been done since the time was last stopped)
Z - Unfreeze time
C - Rewind time (hold)

Enter - Pause Game

Hot Keys:
R - restart level
P - Go to the previous level
N - Go to the next level if the current level has been beaten previously
I - Skip the current level (can be used 8 times)
Q - Exit level

Some screenshots

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Koaske, 27 December 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#2 SuperBlackMan

SuperBlackMan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Wow the physics are pretty good. I got a part to where there was like 2 lasers and I couldn't figure out how to pass through it.
Good game tho. Add music please. I got bored easily due to the silence.

if you want my game is right here
Designer's Quest 5

#3 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I decided to add a skip button (S) which allows you to skip up to 8 levels. Hopefully this will prevent people from getting stuck to one particular level.

Was the level where you got stuck before the first warp levels? (Levels that had a new, warp element?)

What did you think of the controls? Any other kind of suggestions are also welcome.

Music will definitely be added! I'm hoping there's at least one song ready in the next 1-3 weeks. You'll have to listen to your own music for now =|

#4 SuperBlackMan

SuperBlackMan

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I decided to add a skip button (S) which allows you to skip up to 8 levels. Hopefully this will prevent people from getting stuck to one particular level.

Was the level where you got stuck before the first warp levels? (Levels that had a new, warp element?)

What did you think of the controls? Any other kind of suggestions are also welcome.

Music will definitely be added! I'm hoping there's at least one song ready in the next 1-3 weeks. You'll have to listen to your own music for now =|

Yeah I hadnt got that far so it wqas probably before.

Im not comfortable with the controls only because im used to using buttons on the same line on the keyboard.

I think this has the potential of being a addicting game with a little more levels and more variety of platform to use

Edited by SuperBlackMan, 29 June 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#5 Xzaldar

Xzaldar

GMC Member

• 48 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

I love games like these!
So far, very nice.
Took me awhile to get used to it. When I was walking I ended up accidently pressing 'S', which made me skip the level, so it was definitely a good idea to add the 'previous level' button.
Excellent so far, can't wait until the final release :thumbsup:
Currently making: Cakeman
i am older than I was a few years back(obviously ;p), I look back at my posts and games and think: "What was I thinking?"

#6 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 8762 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Just played the first few levels to get a feel for the game. (And watched the video.)

I enjoy puzzle games, and this one looks great. Well drawn graphics too -- especially the little character's animation. I'm looking forward to playing some higher levels. I'll comment again later.

Great game! Big +1 :smile:

#7 PrinceOthman

PrinceOthman

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Enjoyed playing this game! It's pretty well made.

Other than the the controls are kinda hard to get used to, but when I got the hang of them the game was really. The puzzles are fun and challenging. This great looks to have great potential. Keep on going with this. It's looking great! Add more levels and maybe more objects/obstacles to face. Good job!

Also "The Item Must Be Placed Before Returning To Normal Time Flow" << It says that when I try to stop time freeze while holding an item. But the problem is, it shows over the other text so it looks messed up.

Try pressing this rep_up.png button next to my post, and tell me what happens.  :)
add.png

#8 gamegear9

gamegear9

GMC Member

• 19 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Here to return the favor :P

I gave it a go, made it to level 6 then I kept dying lol. It ran good, got a little lag when high jumping, though my CPU is pretty bad. The graphics are nice and the gameplay/pace feels right. Some suggestions: There's no way to cancel placing a platform (that i'm aware of.) At times it wouldn't let me move the platforms after being placed, not sure if that's intentional. Also needs some sound to keep things more lively.

I'll try to get further and I hope to see it get finished :]

Edited by gamegear9, 01 July 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#9 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

Gamegear9, what kind of a computer are you running the game on? The lasers require quite a bit of processing power, and since level 6 has 3 of them, it will require even more. I'm looking to optimise the lasers later on and adding options that you can choose to reduce quality/precision and make the game faster.

You can undo moves made since the time was last stopped by pressing X, but I think it's only briefly mentioned in level 2, so you might have missed it.

All blocks have a set number of placements (the number above the block), and they can't be placed again if the placement counter reaches zero.
I'm planning to make it so that you can do as many placements as you want during a single time freeze with the cost of one placement. This feature might be added to the next version already.

Sounds and music will be added later on, don't worry! =)

#10 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

A new version is out! Be sure to try out version 0.2!

The new version has 12 new levels as well a time rewind system that you can use to go back to a check point you created previously. This will greatly help you in undoing moves and allows you to start from the check point when you die.

See the full change log in the beginning of the topic!

#11 SonicYM2612

SonicYM2612

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Very nice, I saw the video, and I'll definitely try it out. By the way, if you don't yet have a musician, I can be your music guy. See some of my musical works on YouTube

Game I'm working on: Untitled Puzzle Game
LAZARO GONZALEZ
AWESOMESICULAR GAMES
AWESOMESICULAR WAVES

EMAIL: lgonzalez.sonic@gmail.com
YouTube: SonicYM2612

Check out my work-in-progress puzzle/action game, currently UNTITLED

#12 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Nice remixes you have there. I see you've also remixed some of my favorite tunes from such games as Sonic and Mega Man :smile:
Do you have any original songs in there?

PS. I tried your game and left a comment about it!

#13 SonicYM2612

SonicYM2612

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

No, I haven't posted any original songs on YouTube (at least not yet, but trust me I have very epic original music!)
By the way, I tried out your game and it is really AWESOME! :biggrin:
It's very creative and original and combines some classic gameplay styles with your own thing.
Any chance you'll add more blocks to place other than just that one metal block? Maybe you can make ladders, lasers, something like that would be cool. :turned:
LAZARO GONZALEZ
AWESOMESICULAR GAMES
AWESOMESICULAR WAVES

#14 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Glad you like the game :happy: There are actually 4 types of elements that you can place in the demo, but in the first world, you only see one type. World 2 will introduce some blocks you saw in the video. Do you think I should introduce a new element in world 1 already?

How far did you get in the game?

By the way, if you want to skip to world 2 and check out the new elements, try using the "skip" button (I key by default).

#15 SonicYM2612

SonicYM2612

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:03 PM

I tried out the first few levels then I skipped though to see the other levels. I didn't play musch into it beacuse I was working on my game too. Maybe in world 1 there should be a new element after a few levels.
LAZARO GONZALEZ
AWESOMESICULAR GAMES
AWESOMESICULAR WAVES

#16 SonicYM2612

SonicYM2612

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

So would you like for me to make music for your game?
LAZARO GONZALEZ
AWESOMESICULAR GAMES
AWESOMESICULAR WAVES

#17 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

I'll consider it and will PM you after I've made my decision.

#18 StallionTG

StallionTG

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

Very clever, You have some great puzzles and a concept i havn't seen until now.
Twitter: @theorygeorgiou
Fire With Fire is now on Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight
gmscoreboard.com - Free online scoreboard for your arcade style GM Games.
Keep permanent scores for everyone to see with one line of code.

#19 SonicYM2612

SonicYM2612

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

Ok. :thumbsup:
LAZARO GONZALEZ
AWESOMESICULAR GAMES
AWESOMESICULAR WAVES

#20 laffertyrh

laffertyrh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:43 AM

What I liked:
-Great concept
-Nice level pacing
-Each gameplay step was well explained
-Character art and level art are nice and seem to fit.

Suggestions:
-Add some death animation
-Overall add more animation to your levels to give them some life. (ie portal animation, clouds rolling by)
-Since I was playing on a laptop without a mouse, the controls were tough.
-Menus need work (but I am sure you already new that)

If you get a chance please give my game a play. Enjoy!

6652852-1347941029253.png Fred The Killer Unicorn on Google Play

#21 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

Glad you found so many positive points in the game =)

To answer your suggestions:
-Death animation will be added. I've mentioned this to the artist already, but he's been busy lately and hasn't been able to get it done yet.

-I'm planning to add more particle effects and background objects to the levels. Currently, there are just a few street lamps placed randomly. It's not very important gameplay-wise though, which is why it has got a lower priority then other stuff on the to do list.

-I think using a touchpad to play any kind of game that requires a mouse makes it a bit harder. For example, try playing an RTS or FPS without a mouse. I'd imagine that would be quite tough =D

I did actually experiment playing the game with a PS1 controller though, so I could make it possible to move the cursor with arrow keys and have some other keys replace the left and right clicks. The player could then select the option to use this control system. What do you think about this?

-Do you think the menus could be improved in other ways than just graphically? And yes, making menu graphics is on to do list.

PS. The link in your signature is broken, but I'll try your game!

Edited by Koaske, 30 December 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#22 laffertyrh

laffertyrh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

-Do you think the menus could be improved in other ways than just graphically? And yes, making menu graphics is on to do list.

PS. The link in your signature is broken, but I'll try your game!

The menus might just need a face lift, I think the layout seems fine.

Thanks for the heads up on the broken link. I went ahead and fixed it.

6652852-1347941029253.png Fred The Killer Unicorn on Google Play

#23 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:57 PM

Good news!

After a long fight with my laser algorithm, I managed to tweak it so that a new element works with the old ones without any bugs. This new element will be introduced in world 3, which you get to see a glimpse of in the next version... Version 0.3 will add 10-20 new levels to the game, setting the total level count to over 50!

Stay tuned for the v0.3 release, which will happen later this month!

#24 Justin Nitro

Justin Nitro

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Wow This Game Is Intesting :)

Follow me on twitter if you feel like it @JustinNitro I will start to post about my upcoming game! :thumbsup: . Also, did i help with something in your topic? If i did, please leave a rep+, it really does help!  :thanks:

#25 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Glad you find it interesting! Can you explain what makes it interesting for you? Also, it'd be nice if you could list some good and bad points about the game :smile: Did you try the game? If yes, then how far did you get?

#26 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

The topic has been updated! I've now posted two nice pictures in the original post. The new version is being worked on, but will still take a while to get completed. Stay tuned!

#27 SonicYM2612

SonicYM2612

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Nice backgorund! And I like the idea of a laser deflector item. :thumbsup: (Oh, I forgot to mention besides doing audio work I can do graphics also if you need)
LAZARO GONZALEZ
AWESOMESICULAR GAMES
AWESOMESICULAR WAVES

#28 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Update: A new video showing the time rewind feature has been posted!

The game itself is making steady progress. The next version will include improved graphics, different level structure to reduce the amount of repetitiviness and a level unlock system which allows you to unlock multiple levels after beating a 'key' level (so you don't have to go through the levels in strictly numerical order anymore).