#1 TitusGroan

TitusGroan

GMC Member

• 4 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi All,
I'm new here, but keen to get started.
I'm slightly confused - Is GameMaker Studio able to run on a Mac? Or if not, can you run it on Parallels or Bootcamp?
Thanks
TitusGroan

#2 Jack Indie Box

Jack Indie Box

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1558 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

GameMaker:Studio IDE

Windows XP, Vista or 7
512MB RAM
128MB graphics

straight off the main page of the website. no you cannot run the game creation software on mac(without some sort of virtual machine, im windows only so presume the things you listed were that). I see how this can be confusing if you plan to develop for mac or iOS as its quite essential to have a mac for distribution of those.

#3 TitusGroan

TitusGroan

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Windows XP, Vista or 7
512MB RAM
128MB graphics

straight off the main page of the website. no you cannot run the game creation software on mac(without some sort of virtual machine, im windows only so presume the things you listed were that). I see how this can be confusing if you plan to develop for mac or iOS as its quite essential to have a mac for distribution of those.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, Parallels and Bootcamp are virtual machines - Parallels can be used alongside everything else on the Mac, but Bootcamp you have to reboot. I haven't as yet used either of these because I have been able to run anything natively. However, there is some CAD software I might need to run like this as well. I understand that I have to have a copy of Windows too.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who is using a Mac and running Studio on a virtual machine - I understand sometimes there are issues with certain things.

Cheers

#4 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8358 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

Windows XP, Vista or 7
512MB RAM
128MB graphics

Thanks for your input.

Yes, Parallels and Bootcamp are virtual machines - Parallels can be used alongside everything else on the Mac, but Bootcamp you have to reboot. I haven't as yet used either of these because I have been able to run anything natively. However, there is some CAD software I might need to run like this as well. I understand that I have to have a copy of Windows too.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who is using a Mac and running Studio on a virtual machine - I understand sometimes there are issues with certain things.

Cheers

Bootcamp is not a virtual machine.

Here is how I run Studio.

I have bootcamp on my Macs, and use Windows installed via Bootcamp. I use this environment for most Studio work (Windows HTML5 and Android).
Then under OS X I use virtual box with a Windows VM for Mac development. I run studio within the VM and then test via the runner on OS X.

#5 TitusGroan

TitusGroan

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Windows XP, Vista or 7
512MB RAM
128MB graphics

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

I have bootcamp on my Macs, and use Windows installed via Bootcamp. I use this environment for most Studio work (Windows HTML5 and Android).
Then under OS X I use virtual box with a Windows VM for Mac development. I run studio within the VM and then test via the runner on OS X.

Could you please give me a little more detail - what do you mean by "virtual box with a Windows VM for Mac development" - I thought you said bootcamp wasn't a VM. Also what's the runner on OS X?

Thanks

#6 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8358 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Windows XP, Vista or 7
512MB RAM
128MB graphics

Thanks for your input.

Cheers

Could you please give me a little more detail - what do you mean by "virtual box with a Windows VM for Mac development" - I thought you said bootcamp wasn't a VM. Also what's the runner on OS X?

Thanks

Virtual box is a VM, similar to Paralels or Fusion, but it's free. That part of my post had nothing to do with Bootcamp.

Installing Bootcamp on your Mac effectively gives it two different personalitys. Your machine is now both a Windows and OS X computer. You decide at boot time whether you want to run Windows or OS X. So for a lot of Studio usage I simply boot Windows and use Studio. How ever this Windows only environment cannot be used to use Studio for Mac development.

For Mac development I boot into OS X, where I have installed Virtual Box. Then in Virtual Box I have created a Windows VM. I run the Windows VM where I have installed another copy of Studio.

http://gmc.yoyogames...howtopic=536101

#7 alexfislegend

alexfislegend

GMC Member

• GMC:Member
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

You need to run Windows on Parallels, or some sort of VM, in order to correctly create iOS and Mac applications. Bootcamp won't work becuase both Mac and Windows must be running at the same time.

Edited by alexfislegend, 13 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#8 TitusGroan

TitusGroan

GMC Member

• 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks folks,
I'll try and put the advise into action now.
Cheers

#9 timpossible

timpossible

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

Here is how my workstation. I bought iMac and run bootcamp to install windows 7 to run game maker studio. Then i bought Mac Mini to run OSX  to export for iOS. Then i run bootcamp on Mac Mini to install windows 8 to export game for windows 8. Now basically i have windows running in both macs. I have seldom run OSX in my iMac. I already forgot how to use OSX. What a waste. If only i knew about VM.

#10 Despicable

Despicable

can't make games

• GMC Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

I have installed windows 7 on my bootcamp partition, and with Parallels desktop i boot up the windows installed on my bootcamp partition. That way I don't need two separate installs of windows and i can still run it both through bootcamp and vm.

Oh and, the upcoming new IDE should support macs too, but we'll have to wait a bit. (And I really hope that the new IDE won't be a part of 2.0...)

Edited by Despicable, 28 August 2013 - 08:27 PM.

#11 branrocks

branrocks

GMC Member

• 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

i know you can download wine witch is a windows app converter but it EXTREMELY lags and i don't mean it takes a day to open, i mean I've never gotten it open without having to force quit it. but u can try. it could just be that my computer doesn't have much more space left on it. it could also be that i have an old version of wine.

Edited by branrocks, 24 August 2014 - 07:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users