GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Infected Planet - Virus Uknown
A project by Tobias van Zanten.

INFO:
I've created this game back in the beginning of 2011 and gave up, but I thought it'd be cool to release it to the public anyway.
I hope you'll enjoy it and maybe if I receive lots of feedback I gain motivation again to continue this project.
The game is slightly retro influenced, but with a lighting and pan sound system. Just see for yourself:)

STORY and GAME IDEA:
The game is about Earth that got infected by a very mysterious virus. Remaining human survivors were forced to live on the moon and do research from there to exterminate the 'plague'.
A small group of scientists and soldiers were sent to Earth to investigate the current state of the virus. They discovered that the virus started to evolve, creating a new sort of species.
When the crew is flying to Earth, their spaceship starts to malfunction due to an 'infected ozone layer'. The crew gets separated and the game begins here.

The game features puzzles, action, and creepy moments.
ReadMe file included.

Download: Link
File size:
19.6 MB
Gamemaker version: 8
Screenshots: 1 2 3
Please leave a comment with your criticism, kudos and/or ideas. Thanks

**The beta ENDS at the bridge area where you leave your buddy behind**
671lyw.jpg

Oh, and turn up that volume! Sound makes the game!

Edited by Tobias(NL), 06 August 2014 - 03:44 PM.

Posted Image
-Click the image for both the download & topic
Visit my homepage [Aquarel Games.tk]

#2 iceshield

iceshield

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 515 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

so freaking awsome
could you add some lighting source on bullets ?

Edited by iceshield, 02 June 2012 - 12:06 PM.

If you put comments in your code to understand it ... then you awful at writing code.

#3 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

so freaking awsome
could you add some lighting source on bullets ?

Thanks! The bullets can use a little more light I guess, but not too much as I don't want the player to use bullets as flashlights.
I wanted to add a flashlight later on in the game.

Edited by Tobias(NL), 02 June 2012 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

#4 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

I can't get past the bridge, but so far it's really cool I like how you aim it's neat.. Can anyone please give a tip to get the bridge down. I would recommended putting the tip in a spoiler box. Just so you don't ruin anyone else's challenge who figures it without the tip. Thanks :)

Edited by kurtbliss, 02 June 2012 - 07:22 PM.

#5 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:32 PM

seriously, continue this great game! :)
some things I noticed:
the movement speed is really fast, normally faster is better than to slow, but here it's maybe a little bit too fast
FPS in the top right corner, I personally don't need them. they show on every system 50 fps I guess, at leas make it en/disableable
I'm not sure whether you alredy added the lightning source on bullets, but I like it the way it is atm
it would be nice, if it shows the weapon on ur hud, which you actually got selected.
the world is in squares, maybe u can add some hills, some land rising if u understand what I mean :)
I would put the three control keys next to each other, for example Q,A,Y or A,S,D
can you go further than the bridge?

#6 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, you can 'bunny jump' to gain movement speed. It actually was a bug but I kept it as I kinda liked it :] Maybe I'll slow it down a bit.
The FPS is only for testing purposes, as it did not ran on all computers I've tested it on. It'll be removed in the final version! Aaand no, I haven't changed the bullets yet.
Slopes you mean;) This engine does not support slopes, it'd be nicer to the eye I agree, but I think it's good as it is.

And yes, you can go further than the first bridge, climb on the tower close by the green stuff and press DOWN at the switch to activate the bridge.
Do a run up in order to grab the ladder!

You can also go further than the puzzle bridge area, although it's one of the last parts of the beta.

Look for a switch on the RIGHT part of the level

Thank you guys for testing!

Edited by Tobias(NL), 04 June 2012 - 10:50 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

Well I didn't get past the bridge part (not enough ammo and no heals?)

The sound and graphics are great -it's very atmospheric. It just seemed a little difficult (not that that's a bad thing) due to having low ammo and low health without being able to find anything to heal.

My only real problem was not being able to take a checkpoint again after already getting it.

LogoStandaloneUncropped.png

in development - http://skygategame.tumblr.com

I'm also available for hire - I do sound effects and draw maps

#8 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:03 AM

Noted. I'll fix these problems, thanks for testing.

Posted Image

#9 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Any ideas?
Suggestions are always welcome!

Edited by Tobias(NL), 24 June 2012 - 12:20 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Lotias

Lotias

The Tree

• GMC Member
  • 1331 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Explosives (maybe)
an easier way to aim up at flying enemies

that is all

LogoStandaloneUncropped.png

in development - http://skygategame.tumblr.com

I'm also available for hire - I do sound effects and draw maps

#11 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

Amazing game play. I got eaten by a monster then It said your dead. Is there a limit how many time you can die? How do you load your game, it ended the game, was that the end at the bridge, after you leave that guy?

Edit: one annoying thing though it didn't ruin the game too munch, one time on a checkpoint every time I died I spawn back, the guy would run by him self until I pressed a arrow button.

Edited by kurtbliss, 28 June 2012 - 01:22 AM.

#12 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

Amazing game play. I got eaten by a monster then It said your dead. Is there a limit how many time you can die? How do you load your game, it ended the game, was that the end at the bridge, after you leave that guy?

Edit: one annoying thing though it didn't ruin the game too munch, one time on a checkpoint every time I died I spawn back, the guy would run by him self until I pressed a arrow button.

Hmm yes I am aware of that checkpoint bug, thanks for pointing it out though! And no, there's no limit of respawns.
You can LOAD your game by pressing F7, this is only for testing purposeses though! The BETA indeed ends at the bridge area where you leave your maty behind. A gray message will appear saying: That's it!
-Oh btw, where exactly in the game did it said 'you are dead?' I cannot remember making that =P

Thank you for testing, I'm glad you enjoyed the beta :)

@Lotias: There will be explosions later on in the game. Explosive barrels and grenades. I still have to implement those though. I'm not going to change the aiming, but I suggest you to use the shotgun, which is an easier weapon to aim with (F1 for controls).

Edited by Tobias(NL), 03 July 2012 - 03:21 PM.

Posted Image

#13 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

Oh for some reason I played so munch Resident Evil 4 and died so munch on that game it says you are dead so it's just something I mixed up with your game, gues your game didn't say that :tongue:. I finished the demo I though I ran out of lives for some reason gues that was it. I want more now!

edit: oh yeah see here's that spot I was thinking of, like starts at 0:13 it says it.
Spoiler

lol opps wrong game this was re4..

Edited by kurtbliss, 03 July 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#14 Primoz128

Primoz128

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Oh my god the second mutant gave me a hearth attack...

Looking for a coding partner for my space RTS solar conquest project. More information: http://gmc.yoyogames...opic=563123&hl=

#15 Kapser

Kapser

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1645 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:30 PM

I played untill the first save point and it's really well made so far. There's a few frustrating falls/gaps but other than that the progression is smooth, feels well designed and easy to get into. The engine has it's own feel and the horror ambiance works well. Overall, awesome!

I gotta go but later I'm plugging my USB SNES controller and playing through the rest of the game. :)

#16 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Awful controls, but generally good game. I'm sorry to hear you've discontinued it.
I couldn't get past the bridge, though.

Edited by Jobo, 06 July 2012 - 11:37 PM.

My posts are my own views and opinions... Unless they are yours too, in which case I think you're a very intelligent and handsome individual (I think you are anyway!)

#17 theweirdn8

theweirdn8

Unrivaled Legend

• GMC Member
  • 4108 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

The FPS for this game was quite low. I averaged around 4-8 all the time. I rarely went up to like 12 FPS.

I see there are tons of effects and lighting being used...

[My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard]

2h2fg3c.png

#18 Jobo

Jobo

Second-Scum-Of-The-Earth

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 3000 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

It ran perfectly on my beat-up computer, though (2007 HP laptop model, 1.9GHz AMD processor, 256MB video card, been repaired once, overheating, melting its own drivers, blah blah).

My posts are my own views and opinions... Unless they are yours too, in which case I think you're a very intelligent and handsome individual (I think you are anyway!)

#19 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the comments folks:)

@Kapser; Thank you for testing, there are indeed a few nasty gaps. I'm thinking of making them a little easier as it's in the beginning of the game. Glad you've enjoyed the beta!

@Jobo; I'm sorry to hear that you disliked the controls. Was it the aiming/jumping? Or was the button scheme just not your thing? (I'll add custom controls later on). The bridge area is the last part of the beta, it ends at the second save point.

@theweirdn8; The game uses a light engine which makes it a little heavy for the average computer. Yet it should run on a steady 50 FPS. The levels are quite small though (thus faster), so that makes up for the light engine. Anyway, what are your pc specs?

I have decided to continue this project, and have been working on it here and there.
Gameplay/Story suggestions are always welcome:)

-TobiasNL

Edited by Tobias(NL), 08 July 2012 - 12:41 PM.

Posted Image

#20 John Lennon

John Lennon

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

This is a pretty good game, and I would like to stress that while I am going to be criticizing it, I will only be doing so for the purposes of improvement. There's a lot you did right here, including the graphics, the audio, the movement, and the general polish of the game.

I think what hurts this game the most is the lack of exploration. It's a horror game that plays like a generic, linear platformer - there needs to be more exploration, groping around in the dark, getting lost - the kinds of things you'd expect in a horror game. As it stands, your game isn't very frightening, even though you did an excellent job in creating a spooky atmosphere with appropriate graphics and audio.

The controls need to be fixed - namely, the use of the UP arrow key to jump. This incredibly awkward control scheme is pretty common among amateur games, so I wouldn't feel too bad, but you do need to change the controls to the gold standard of jumping with Z and shooting with X. Also, while the movement is fast and fluid, it's a bit too slippery, which is a problem in certain areas where precise jumping is required.

There are other luxury features which should be implemented, such as a title screen and pause menu. There also doesn't seem to be a way of loading saved games. For this reason I didn't finish your game, since I exited it out under the assumption that the save feature worked properly. I would have replayed it to the point where I had quit, but the beginning part was too tedious, and linear games such as this one have too little replay value.

Overall, it's pretty good, but needs some work. Hope to see more from you in the future :thumsbup:
I am John Lennon - musician, social commentator, and video game reviewer.

#21 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thank you John for taking time to review my game.

I totally agree at the exploration aspect... I'll try adding some bigger areas by merging rooms to make the game more interesting. This also gives me the opportunity for complexer puzzles.
The controls however seem fine to me and other testers - I do however agree with you about the Z X control setup (I use this scheme as well). The point is that it feels very weird to jump with Z, yet climbing on a ladder is being done with the up and down arrow keys. Using Z for climbing would be weird. This is the reason I choose for the current control scheme. I can make however an extra jumping button, or maybe even custom controls for that matter.

About the luxury stuff; I just haven't made these options yet, I still have to add them (you can by the way already save and load the game, load the game by pressing F9 once saved at a save computer. This still is quite buggy though).

Once again, I really appreciate your reply, thanks man :)

-TobiasNL

Edited by Tobias(NL), 18 October 2012 - 04:03 PM.

Posted Image

#22 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

I love custom controls, and with joystick support.
I actually didn't us the keyboard for this game I set it up on a controller using xpadder.

#23 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Oh nice man, gamepads are awesome.

If you folks got ideas etc for the game/storyline, you're welcome to share!

Posted Image

#24 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Bump. Thought i'd give it another swing.

Posted Image

#25 KurtBlissZ

KurtBlissZ

GMC noob

• GMC Member
  • 752 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Sweet, this is one of my favorite platformers with GM. Did you make any updates on it?

Only thing that sucks windows 8 likes to crash for the sound functions for game maker 8, so using a sound extension/dll can fix that. I found SG Audio to work perfectly, and fixed crashing issues I had on a GM8 project when playing on windows 8. I imagine there's more people using windows 8 now so you may have to consider using a sound extension or switching to Studio if you want it so everyone can play it.

Edited by KurtBlissZ, 06 August 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#26 Tobias(NL)

Tobias(NL)

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 896 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:48 PM

No I didn't :( Don't have the time man..

Ok thanks for the tip, I might use it in later games! :)

Posted Image