15 replies to this topic

#1 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

CountAir Strike v3 (name subject to change)
''fun game good concept.'' - Ben Peterson
"I like the idea of the game, I never saw a 2D SideScrolling TD! It's refreshing to see sth." - sensenmann
"But yeah that was a lot of fun." -Orbitguy

Is a game in which you build a Defense "City" to defend your country population.
Opponent countries send massive air fleets to defeat you, Make sure to make the most unstoppable defense.
In the present beta 5 buildings and 6 towers are available. All have 10 upgrades, some of which change the way towers and buildings behave. (mostly lv 5 and 10)
A new original take on the tower defense genre!
(Everything is Unlocked in Survival clean start mode)

Context (not much implented yet)
in a near future your nation, has built the first time machine, it was not long before neighbor country found out about it and in attempt to take it as their own, attacked you. (demo mission) You were appointed to lead a whole new way to fight war: defensively. The project involved building a city right before your main one to defend it: the Military Air Defence City (M.A.D. City). Make sure this project is a success to prevent the time machine from falling in the wrong hands in what could possibly explode into WWIII! (or way more)

Posted Image

A super play of mine (survival clean), you should try to beat it! 77 waves and i got destroyed (simply overwhelmed)
With this new Update the game is a bit more challenging, or I have lost my touch... My record is 66 Waves
Its in the newly added Highscore (My score) You should try to beat it!
F9 to take Pics
Posted Image

more screens
Spoiler

I have left the Fps, please tell me if it runs fine: its starts dropping (in fastfoward) toward 30-50 for me, but i can't really judge my pc quality.
Also difficulty feedback would be appreciated, really hard to know if its too hard, cheap or too easy.

Play CountAir Strike v3

Be sure to leave feedback, From suggestions to reviews or simply comments.

Edited by Joh, 07 September 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#2 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

The start screen made me feel a little dizzy(the water in perticular) but overall I am a fan of moving title screens and thought you did a good job there. One thing I noticed after playing a round is that you can keep upgrading buildings after the game has ended.

I also got this error when I tried to start the campaign mode:

for object o_mission:

File is not opened for reading.

However, I reloaded the game and was then able to play the campaign mode without a problem. Perhaps it caused an issue that I had played a survival game first?

Notes about campaign mode:
- neighborhood is spelled wrong in the dialogue
- I like your color scheme, the shadow black I think actually works really well
- I like the fact that you let us see farther out to the right to anticipate and prepare for incoming attacks
- I like the fact that you can make the waves go faster with the fast forward button
- Several of the messages disappeared too quickly possible because I had it on the superspeed mode
- It said something about the campaign being a preview and then disappeared before I could choose my reward :tongue:

Well I'm going back to mess with the survival mode some more, but I hope you finish the campaign it looked cool.

hahaaforum.jpgStick Legends Online - An Online Role Playing Adventure

#3 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

Im glad you liked the menu, it was honestly hard to pull off -_- especialy the selection slide (to survival modes)
Im reconsidering that part, the moving title on the other hand is staying, unless problem arises.
As you city gets bigger and higher it will move through it showing all your possesion, if you continue the campaign, its already there. (thats already in but the MAD city is still small)

The water ill consider toning it down, I like the effect but I think its a bit strong when its at its highest shine.

Im sorry, for the little error you faced, fortunately your supposition was right and I was able to fix it quickly.
As for the other Issues, they have all been fixed in this bug fix update.
-Neighbor has been fixed
-Message no longer ignore if you are in FF, i hope they are not too long now.
-The final message time(when you pick your reward) has been extended.

Back to the positive:
Im really glad you liked the color scheme, I was considering going realistic but i definitely don't have the required skills, nor do I think anyone would want to do it for such a big project. Ill improve it of course.

You get to see further not only to see the waves, but because your territory can also be extended (not yet), never to replace all the water, but enough to provide a big MAD city.

FF just came to me, whats unfortunate is after playing with it, normal speed feel like slow motion :/, always got to get back in control once it gets too hectic.

Thanks for the support!
for anyone who hasn't tried it Play it now :laugh:

#4 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

New highscore!

Posted Image

By the end I had defenses all the way to the edge of the water there, and they destroyed them so quickly I'd have to rebuild the entire set of defenses after each wave practically lol. The good new was that I was getting a ton of money by that point from the scrapyard, so money wasn't so much the issue, the buildings just couldn't withstand the attacks and couldn't repair fast enough at a certain point.

That said, I also didn't build a construction HQ or whatever, so I didn't have any "builders". It was me spamming the repair button like crazy on all the buildings. =P In hind sight, I'm not such a fan of the laser's stats, so I probably should have taken out the research center, and put a construction HQ or another defense tower there.

That's pretty solid right there if it was able to keep me occupied for about 15minutes per round. A game like this when it's completed would probably do very well on a site like Kongregate(HTML5 ofcourse).

But yeah that was a lot of fun. :biggrin:

Edited by Orbitguy, 02 June 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#5 Sensenmann

Sensenmann

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

I like the idea of the game, I never saw a 2D SideScrolling TD!
It's refreshing to see sth. like that, and no 1000. zelda, pokemon, whatever remake

The Instructions are a little bit confusing. I'd order and strucutre them better.
If u Press L the game crashes.
I'd love to have shortcuts for every action/tower.
The Text-Color black is hard to read, b/c the background is darkgrey, maybe white?
the radius of the tower could be another color thank black, maybe green or red?
I'd love to see healthbars for the enemys as well
the helicopter flys sometimes backwards, and forward and updown really fast^^ looks strange
the (side)-scrolling speed seems quite fast, maybe too fast. but pov
and the tower/buildings sprite could change, after u upgraded them :)

overall exciting game! I'm really looking forward to the next versions! :)
keep up the work!

Edited by Sensenmann, 02 June 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#6 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Oh wow, your record is outstanding!
Well, I with my base using 3 construction HQ I still failed faster :P
Builders do make it faster but you need a lot, with 300 it goes super fast, what I did not realise is that even if you can build over a construction Hq, it still takes away space that could be used for more towers.
So while, My buildings were secure, as I could repair them, my lack of fire power allowed planes to pass through, than panic made me lose my first 3 buildings(+towers) and game over was near :confused:
Spoiler

I can't Imagine how you would have done without the Research center, its really useless, its suppose to give tech Xp which has no use in survival.
The way i made it, wave 100 = everything doubled, twice damage, twice health,twice speed, half wave length.
So congrats really!

Im also glad you liked it so much, hopefully many others will :laugh:
If it does really well, Id love to make it for HTML5 . I'll see how it does :thumbsup: (pretty good for now)

@sensenmann
When I made the topic, I wanted to put "A new Genre" , but i didn't to face the backslash if it was made before, But yeah, Its an original game.

I didn't know what to put in instruction so I just made it a mash up of all tips and info I could provide, I thought the gameplay would be pretty straight foward.

Nice catch about the L, ill be sure to fix it... why did you press it anyway :P

Having shortcuts, would work for now but not eventually (when theres a lot more towers and buildings)
Simple color changes ill take note of that
As for planes health bar I feel it would fill the screen to much, maybe as an option.

Helicopters are made that way, they are boss type plan (I know they're not that much stronger) but in campaign they should be a bit challenging. They do quick fast move to dodge your fires, and return to keep hovering over your city and shoot it; once (if) they reach the edge of your city they will go back toward your main city. (they do it 2-3 times)

Ill check the side scrolling, Towers and building change sprite at each 5 lv. Planes also have an evolution system, but its not activated. (you can still face "next lv" planes after wave 30 in survival.

Glad you also like it :P and thanks for all this feedback!
Ill be sure to keep this updated (fixes and content)

everyone else try it :cool:

#7 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hey everyone, just a little peak at upcomming update (I hope to publish it this weekend)
Posted Image
It features 3 new towers:
The Shield generator:It creates a shield based on its height, the shield can be made even bigger trough upgrades.
The Miner: Places Mines in the sky to damage planes passing by.(AoE damage)
The flack Cannon: Its bullet explode in air and cause AOE damage.

along with a couple bug fix.

I hope these new towers will be a great adition to your arsenal, feel free to suggest anything else.

What do you want to see in the next updates?
new enemies
more in campaign
new buildings/tower
Let me know!

CountAir Strike

#8 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:12 AM

Whether you like it or not (if not you obviously haven't tried it) Im still working on this and I just published a first new content update!
That's right the Update I was talking about is up (with a slight delay sorry for that)
It features 3 new towers:
The Shielder:It creates a shield based on its height, the shield can be made even bigger trough upgrades.
The Miner: Places Mines in the sky to damage planes passing by.(AoE damage)
The flack Cannon: Its bullet explode in air and cause AOE damage.

dont look at the shield and think AWESOME, this is about defending the population, not your structures, remember that.
And mines are not lame, they can be very good.
It's all thought out, but you can help! :sweat:
even with those new tools, i couldn't beat Orbit guy's record so its pretty balanced... I think

But thats not all! I have also taken the time to strenghten the boss, I have made them more... Noticable so you don't think its just an odd moving helicopter anymore: Its the real deal! (Really, they are stronger now) :thumbsup:

I also felt like adding some super stylish message: warning you about boss waves, victories and defeats.

Fix some bugs, added more control over the view, the closer to the edge, the faster, now with a bigger detection box,
and also doesn't move while on HUD.

I feel, Its a really original game experience, so of course Id like everyone to try it :P
Hot stuff
Feel free to praise (i'll understand)
or
to criticize (I'll listen, Most issues given in the first two reviews have already been taken care of)
Play,review,rate, comment!

Have a nice play! ( and don't forget to come back for more, it will be waiting for you.)

Edited by Joh, 13 June 2012 - 05:17 AM.

#9 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

I liked the updates, the game did seem harder. The mines were cool, but a lot of the time they would float higher than most of the planes flew.

The shield generator ran out of energy? at some point it seemed. The thing just stopped making the shield, so I sold it.

I liked the messages announcing the big waves, the pace of the game is pretty fast, but maybe that's a good thing.

Just some quick thoughts.

#10 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hey, nice to see you still onboard :biggrin:
I didn't make the game harder, well the bosses have been buffed, but they only come 1/10 waves so they shouldn't change things much. My plays also involved doing just as well as before (60-70-80-90 waves). I even managed to reach wave 120 (beat ya!)

yeah, the mines can go too high, thats why I made them auto destruct after a while, planes spawn (randomly) at different heights, the mines also have to be random, Ill be sure to try to optimize it tough.

Shield have energy and can run out of it. You don't have to sell them though they will regenerate it. (slower than depletion at low level, faster than depletion at high level.) But if you don't want to wait and can afford it, you can indeed sell them.

Yeah, I felt the game was missing the boss wave fight, So I made it more obvious, But I really liked the effect So I added other warnings (defeat,victory) might add more.

I want the pace to be good... I feel default speed is good and FF is a bit too fast, so I might tone it down.

Thanks for those quick thoughts, they are appreciated and contribute to making this game better, In the end isn't that what we all want? ( cheesy as hell, I know)

So Again, thanks for the support, I a bit busy right now, but this game will definitely see some more updates soon :thumbsup:
-------

To those who tried it, thank you, feel free to post your issues (or your appreciation, its welcomed too).
To those who haven't
Spoiler

what are you waiting for? (no, really answer that)
Play it now!
The game is only as awesome as the one who plays it! :cool:

Edited by Joh, 19 June 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#11 dialgpalkia

dialgpalkia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 489 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

hmm, good game but there are a few things that can be improved, one of the main things is that i should be able to first off all make it bigger and second of all it needs sound!!! its really fun but put with the right music it can be an amazing game!!

Current WIP: Operation RaBuu

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=571252&st=0&p=4215611 

Looking for graphics artist to help with my game. PM me if you're interested!

#12 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Hey! thanks for the feedback!
What do you mean by bigger? More content? because thats obviously coming, so keep in touch.
Music and sounds too, I think you bumped it in my priorities and ill add it in the next update.

The Music is very hard to find, I simply can't seem to find ''the'' song. If anyone is a music composer and think they have a great fitting song let me know about it.

The next update will be a campaign update, Im thinking about adding the second campaign mission.
I think ill also add the interact system (interact with other countries) although it might not be very useful.
More stuff may be added too, i often get caried away :D

(plane/enemy suggestions thread)

Play the game :D

#13 dialgpalkia

dialgpalkia

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 489 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:28 AM

what i meant by bigger was that the game window was too small, needs to be bigger.
and cant wait till next update!

Current WIP: Operation RaBuu

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=571252&st=0&p=4215611 

Looking for graphics artist to help with my game. PM me if you're interested!

#14 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

If you never tried this before
please do so :)

Hey, It's been a while since I last updated this, well I have been working on this and The next update should be done in less than a week!

Just as planned it will contain the next part of the campaign, Introducing Country 2 (place holder name) slightly stronger with a better fleet, which has taken interest in your odd conflict with country 1.

I have somehow managed to make the interaction system so once you clear the available missions you will be able to free play by declaring wars yourself on the available countries.(like side missions)

Also added a scoreboard in survival so you can see your improvements.

This being said I still have time to add other stuff in the next update so if you have any suggestions please let me know.
Im still interested in appropriate music for the game, so if the game should totally have ''that song'' let me know about it.

#15 Joh

Joh

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

''Here Comes A new Country!'' Update

Update! v3!
I took way longer than expected but I managed!
This Content update Adds a continuation to the campaingn allowing you to fight a second country and a lot more.

Played or not, this is worth a Play! (or Replay!)
  • Campaign expension
  • Interact System*
  • Sound has been Added, I think its pretty good and adds a lot to the quality. Id like feedback on it though.
  • Highscore has been added, with provocative presets waiting to be beaten. (in preperation for an online one)
  • New Boss... Youll have to play to see it!
  • Changed the way bosses behave in survival: Bosses spawns in smaller group but change as wave go up. (30,50,80)
  • Did some rebalancing, I hope everything is better now. I feel its more challenging
  • Lots of fixes... even stuff that was unoticable before has been fixed.

*Defeating this second country (finishing the campaign) opens up the Interact option. With it you will be able to interact with other countries. At the moment only money begging and war declaration are available. Relashionship and other elements influence how the interaction goes.
You can freely Declare war on both available countries simultanously and they will fight side by side making it harder.

As Always I am Listening to all feedback, So if you have Any ideas, issues or just want to say what you thought of the game, please do so.
Still open to music if someone has/made something more fitting.

If you wanna play a game Before it was Cool (to play it)
Now is you chance!
Play CountAir Strike !

#16 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1147 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

You should really add keyboard controls for scrolling. I kept accidentally going to opposite ends of the map when I wanted to upgrade things and advance the dialogue. A and D would work for this. Apart from that, this game is awesome. It's incredibly fun, and the conceptís really close to something Iíve been wanting to make for a while now.

Some suggestions:
- The game look great and I think you should do all the graphics in that silhouette style. I like all the eye candy and how the backgrounds scroll at different speeds.
- Thereís an awful lot of grey in the menus and it looks boring. Liven it up a bit!
- It also needs to be harder. I kept going until I got bored. Also, the technology upgrades take a long time to get to level 2. It's a strange contrast to how fast you can buy and upgrade weapons and buildings, and considering how the game is so far, you should stick with that fast-paced, incremental buildup of your defences.

Good work, hope to see more!

image.png

- Awesome games from around here: Unlimited - Legena: New Dawn - PlanIt - Tinha War - CountAir Strike -