14 replies to this topic

#1 the sivart

the sivart

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 150 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

So I just upgraded to GM:Studio for free (I had GM:HTML5) and I was wondering what the difference is between 8.1 and the studio windows runner.
Is it the same? I heard that studio was running in C++ but I never found anything to back that up. So really all I wan't to know is:

Is it faster or slower or the same?

Does it have the same functionality or more or less?

#2 kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games

• GMC Member
  • 1923 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

The studio runner is supposed to be faster(I haven't tested) but it for sure loads the games faster.

Functionality is slightly less due to some removed functions, but generally you get the same stuff, but faster.

But....you get the new Studio features, such as Box2D physics, and the capacity to go for mobile dev with the same code(for the most part) which you couldn't just do with 8.1. Sure, you'd have to buy the exporters, but since you Studio, I'd recommend you use it.

#3 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1915 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Studio is way faster.

Really.

#4 ParrotPeach

ParrotPeach

GMC Member

• 82 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

My vote: GM Studio... I think it's way faster.

Btw, I'm just loving the BOX2d engine. It's running smooth.

#5 Player Zero

Player Zero

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

Windows Studio is much faster, though there are still bugs with the new Windows runner, such as timelines not working, though they do work in HTML5.

I'd recommend using Studio in spite of any bugs, it is the way of the future.

#6 alexandervrs

alexandervrs

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 705 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Not to say that the GM8.1 runner doesn't have its fair share of bugs which I am guessing they will be resolved later on.

For one the runner of Studio is much faster, has proper DirectX fullscreen for Windows builds and Vsync actually works.
Some unnecessary or ancient (e.g. mplay) features were removed which made the runner lighter.
Particles had their dynamic features (attractors etc.) removed and were made much faster as well.
And physics work awesomely well, although I'd need a little more control over them. ;)

#7 Erik Leppen

Erik Leppen

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2559 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

I happen to have lying around a game that works in both the old Delphi Windows runner and the new Studio C++ Windows runner with no changes to the code. Time for a comparison :D

Delphi runner: ~15 fps
C++ Runner: ~40 fps

The situations are similar (not exactly because of randomness). So the new C++ runner is about 2 to 3 times faster for this game. The code in the game is mainly manipulation of arrays, calling scripts and a whole lot of drawing lines and rectangles and stuff. Nothing really complicated like pathfinding or whatever.

So for basic stuff, the new runner is more than double the speed of the old one.

#8 GStick

GStick

All Secrets Exposed

• GMC Member
  • 1915 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

My current game runs about:
8.1 runner: 860 fps
Studio C++ runner: 1900 fps

Once they work out some of the kinks it will be worth it.

#9 GS-games

GS-games

Creative

• GMC Member
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

I have made a side by side comparison of exactly the same game in GM 8 standard and GM studio.

GM-studio is about 3 times faster than GM 8 but..... As it is now (version 1.0.240) it does have a lot of bugs and lacks many of the GM 8 functions ( for example window_mouse_set() and show_menu() )

Edited by GS-games, 13 June 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#10 TheGameMakerGuide

TheGameMakerGuide

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

I have made a side by side comparison of exactly the same game in GM 8 standard and GM studio.

GM-studio is about 3 times faster than GM 8 but..... As it is now (version 1.0.240) it does have a lot of bugs and lacks many of the GM 8 functions ( for example window_mouse_set() and show_menu() )

I performed a similar test, but I got opposite results, you can watch the video here: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rHpq_ShTJfM

Besides, GMS is still not ready for my project because of some serious bugs, unfortunately, I see myself forced to continue working with Game Maker 8.1 while I wait for a more stable GM:S release.

#11 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2372 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

@TheGameMakerGuide - have you filed bugs at http://bugs.yoyogames.com, if not then the issues will NOT get fixed, when you do file bugs then ensure that you include an example project that illustrates the problem as this greatly enhances the chance of us fixing the issue that is affecting you and not something else.

BTW -1 for the necro-bump on the dead thread.

Russell

#12 TheGameMakerGuide

TheGameMakerGuide

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

@TheGameMakerGuide - have you filed bugs at http://bugs.yoyogames.com, if not then the issues will NOT get fixed, when you do file bugs then ensure that you include an example project that illustrates the problem as this greatly enhances the chance of us fixing the issue that is affecting you and not something else.

BTW -1 for the necro-bump on the dead thread.

Russell

I reported this bug 3 month ago, still didn't get any response, here is the link at the mantis bug tracker site: http://bugs.yoyogame...iew.php?id=8442

In order to make things easier for the programmers at YOYO I also uploaded a video in which I show this issue, you can watch it here: http://http://www.yo...h?v=eFjOVJO10wE

BTW, about your -1, there's no need to be rude,  just trying to help, peace.

#13 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2372 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Happy to help, not being rude just that necro-bumping is not considered good netiquette on forums... It's a good thing I trawl around in here to see your post.

Looking at your issue it looks more like a driver issue - but I know this bug is in the queue to get looked at, have you tried updating drivers just to see if that is the issue?

BTW what is your graphics card?

Russell

#14 TheGameMakerGuide

TheGameMakerGuide

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

I can reproduce this bug in two different PCs, one has a GeForce 9500GT and the other a GeForce 8100, all drivers updated.

So far this bug is present in XP and Vista.

#15 Eternal_Rest

Eternal_Rest

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:06 AM

I can confirm this bug you have reported on XP and windows 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users