4 replies to this topic

#1 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1247 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

I plan to do a series of these games based on different areas of knowledge, mostly targeted at mobile devices (although this one isn't optimised for that just yet).

Anyway, So far I have a pretty neat little game going where you have to click the right flag. Clicking correctly earns you points and stalls the clock for 1 second, clicking wrongly breaks your combo.

Posted Image

Additional quizzes will be added to this game along with better GFX and sound. (those quizzes include pressing the right place on a map etc)

PLAY HERE

I'll be happy with any feedback you can give me, especially if you find any spelling errors or mistakes with the flags!

(Also let me know your scores!!)

Edited by GameDevDan, 09 May 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#2 Phosfor

Phosfor

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 52 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Lol, i don't know many things :laugh: :laugh:
only 863

Posted Image Double ? :biggrin:

Step 2 : make a negative score if we tick the wrong flag :whistle:

Edited by Phosfor, 09 May 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#3 Mr. Munchkin

Mr. Munchkin

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 718 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

I absolutely love the concept, and the fact that you've added countries like Zimbabwe (considering I'm half Zimbabwean I got it first shot! :L).
I think if you elaborate on this a little more it could become even better!
Maybe a difficulty setting, as not a lot of people would get Kazakhstan or the African Countries, but I'm sure they'd get the basics like Australia, New-Zealand, America etc.

I'd also like to see some other general knowledge concepts mixed in there, as it'd give the game even more variety.

As Phosfor said, there's the occasional double flag that should probably be looked into.
However I have to disagree with the negative score for ticking the wrong flag.
Gaining more points for choosing the correct flag a certain number of times in a row, and then losing that combo when choosing the wrong flag is a far better alternative, as I - as a player - hate having points taken away when I choose incorrectly.

It's a really nice concept that I will keep an eye on, I look forward to seeing it fully fleshed out.
Good-luck! :)

#4 GameDevDan

GameDevDan

YoYo Games Staff

• Administrators
  • 1247 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for your comments guys.

The double flags occur quite often at the moment as there is actually no checking done by the game controller for the flags that are already out there. I'll be adding this next version :)

As Mr. Munchkin said, it's better to reward someone playing well than punish someone who plays incorrectly. I hate when I'm playing a game and points get taken away from me :S

In regards to a difficulty setting - I may put one in, but it won't be country based. It'll be time based or an increase in the amount of flags on screen or something. When I was thinking of ideas for the game I considered making some flags harder than others, but then I thought that might be unfair seeing as this can be played anywhere in the world. For example someone playing in Egypt might find some of the African and middle-eastern flags easier than European flags that I would consider obvious.

For additional content I plan to add some map based games to this one and possibly landmark photos etc. The other areas of general knowledge I want to tackle will have their own games.

Thanks again to both of you for your comments!

#5 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:20 PM

Wow awesome start! I actually played this on my iPhone, and it almost fit, but it was still definitely playable.

Posted Image

I'm not going to lie, half the countries I've never even heard of before. An idea for adding difficulty could be shuffling the flags around after each click and for expert players you could flip the flag vertically (ofcourse, this wouldn't be possible with all flags).

Another idea would be to show an "end-credits" scrolling list of flags the player had wrong, with the names of the flag next to them.

Otherwise, it's an awesome start :)

Edited by OMGCarlos, 12 May 2012 - 11:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users