The Furox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

My planned game consists of 5 main game segments:

1) Top Down Space Shooter
Clear solar systems of enemy fighters and the like in order to conquer planets.
2) Basic FPS (Doom style)
Take over the enemy base.
3) Hacking Mini-game
As part of FPS game play
4) Tower defense game
Defend your recently captured base against the onslaught of your enemies army.
5) Multi-player
Use you levels and upgrades won throughout the game to challenge other players in the arena or tag team to fight special bosses to improve you're global standings.
Assuming you could be bothered reading all that could you please share you opinion on this idea and answer the following questions:
1) Would you play this game (based on this information)?
2) Do you think that there are too many parts?
3) If yes, what parts should be removed?
4) Do you think this kind of game needs a plot?
Thanks!

#2 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2180 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Not sure about some of those 'genres' :P especially multiplayer! It looks like you've got an action game (the shooting and the space combat) with a bit of strategy (the tower defence), and some arcade levels (the hacking).

First off, this isn't a problem. Mixing elements of different genres can lead to some interesting game play. A number of tower defences have mixed in first person shooter gameplay, and vice versa (e.g. Sanctum). There are games that mix racing and combat (e.g. Mario Kart, Jak X, Blur). So go for it! Try different things!

EDIT: [That said, beware of a lack of focus. A game that switches from a pure racing game to a pure first person shooter to a pure real time strategy game may turn off the audience.]

As for "Would you play this game?", I ask: what game...? You haven't really given any details, per sae. This game really could go any direction at this stage. So that leaves question four pretty open, as well. It doesn't NEED a plot - it may be worse with one - or it may be terrible without a story. Depends.

Edited by ND4SPD, 06 May 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#3 crusaderdesignproject

crusaderdesignproject

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 270 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

This isn't bad at all... matter of fact it screams Rachet and Clank to me (Although that was 3rd person shooter/platformer... what the hell ever)...

The more the better, really, as long as you can use them effectively.

Edited by crusaderdesignproject, 06 May 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#4 Jack Indie Box

Jack Indie Box

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1558 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

im pretty sure theres a rule against "Would you play this game?" style questions in the forum.

but to answer it, no. you dont need the doom style fps bit at alll, just make the top down shooting good. How many remotely modern games do you know that use doom 3d style? none for a good reason.

#5 Fihrilkamal

Fihrilkamal

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Do you know a game named Bishi Bashi special? That game contains about 99 + genres, and it's very fun to play.

#6 Jack Indie Box

Jack Indie Box

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1558 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

thats because its a mini game collection which is a genre in itself. which is an exception to normal design rules

#7 The Furox

The Furox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback!

#8 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7178 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

1) genre
2) genre
3) genre

...Would you play this game (based on this information)?

What game? What information?

All you've done is list some genres and given generic descriptions. How can anybody say whether they'd play it? It's a pointless question.

#9 The Furox

The Furox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Um, I asked based on the information i gave. If you don't think that's enough info then don't post.

#10 Jack Indie Box

Jack Indie Box

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1558 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

no one should think that is enough info. genres are just that, no one should be able to tell you if the game would be good enough to warrent playing. but in this day n age no one will really wana play a game with doom style 3d......

#11 The Furox

The Furox

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

good point... Might change that!

#12 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

If done right, it is not a problem. Kingdom Hearts: Coded has several genres in it (all part of the main game itself), and it does not present a problem in the game flow (that game was not nearly as good as the other Kingdom Hearts games, but that was a problem with the weak story, not the gameplay itself).

Also, "multiplayer" is not a genre. Just about every genre can be made multiplayer.

Now for your questions:
No... not because it's a bad idea... because I don't like space shooters, FPSs, or tower defense.
No... basically it is 2 main genres, shooter (with the space shooter and FPS being sub-genres) and tower defense (which itself is action-based and can even be a form of shooter depending on how it's done).
3) If yes, what parts should be removed?
N/A
4) Do you think this kind of game needs a plot?
Yes... (in my opinion) a game is nothing without a good story. Sounds like you have the basis of a story though (fly through the space to some planet, where you land and capture the base, then you defend the base against the enemy). Just one thing... come up with a reason for all that taking place in the first place. There has got to be a motive for going through all that to begin with... and the motive would work best if you came up with an elaborate backstory rather than just saying "you are a space pirate who wants to claim the city as your own" or whatever (which is a somewhat realistic motive, but it isn't at all interesting).

Edited by dannyjenn, 07 May 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#13 Takagi

Takagi

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 4275 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

What game? What information?

All you've done is list some genres and given generic descriptions. How can anybody say whether they'd play it? It's a pointless question.

This my friends is why "Would you play this game?" are frowned upon. Platform games range from Mario to Sonic. Top down shooters range from Ikaruga to 1948. Totally different games. Throw some flesh on these bones.

#14 Zeddy

Zeddy

Totally Radical Dude

• GMC Member
  • 1857 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

My planned game consists of 5 main game segments: to fight special bosses to improve you're global standings.
Assuming you could be bothered reading all that could you please share you opinion on this idea and answer the following questions:
Thanks!

1) No. Because
2) Yes.

Jumping from shmup to FPS to tower defence doesn't sound very fun at all. I like all three genres to varying degrees, but if I wanted to play a shmup I'd play a shmup, and when I want to play and FPS I'll play an FPS. When I want play a tower defence game I'll.. well, this rarely happens.

More to the point, you are now making three games. Is the game going to take three times as long to make as other games or are each part only going to be a third as developed as other games?

Like mentioned in other posts, hybrids like Sanctum and Grand Theft Auto work because the modes are blended seamlessly. Rather than being several genres stitched together, they make an entirely new one. In order for your game to work, the shmup part should be 3d rather than top-down and the tower defence needs to be a weapon or something you use while playing in the FPS mode.

#15 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Like mentioned in other posts, hybrids like Sanctum and Grand Theft Auto work because the modes are blended seamlessly. Rather than being several genres stitched together, they make an entirely new one. In order for your game to work, the shmup part should be 3d rather than top-down and the tower defence needs to be a weapon or something you use while playing in the FPS mode.

Well I can think of some games with several disticnt genres (not blended together), for example, KH: Coded (which I've mentioned), Banjo-Tooie (the game was third-person actio-adventure, but some areas were completely FPS (although they weren't major parts of the game and could even be considered mini-games)).... several others have one or more mini-games done in a completely different genre (although a mini-game being done differently is different from a huge chunk of the actual game being done differently)...
My point is that it can be done. However, one thing you need to be careful with is keeping the style consistent (something that was done well on KH:Coded and Banjo-Tooie). You don't want the graphics and sound of the first chunk of your game to be similar to Space Invaders, then switch over to some amazing 3D stuff, then switch over to something entirely different.
You don't need to make the entire game in first-person... but the third-person elements should be done with the same style graphics as the first-person stuff.. unless you have a good reason for not doing so.

#16 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 7686 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

I agree with Zeddy, DJ and Tagaki: unless you make ONE game with the same game mode, except with some small focus changes, it's not gonna feel like a seamless and FUN game.

-> The shooter/flying part should use 3D/2½D visuals, and preferably be first-person or second-person (aka, the camera hangs "over the shoulder" of your spaceship). If possible you should use the same weapons in shmupping as in FPSing, kinda like the NES game Guardian Legend which is a shmup/Zelda mashup: http://www.virtualne...play/?id=NES-GD

Check that game out. A TDS is not a FPS, but you should get some ideas about how to seamlessly combine stuff. You should even steal the whole idea about a robotic girl/battleship that raids the asteroid belt for strange planet-size objects to protect the earth because it's a fresh take on space in general.

As for the TDF part, you should make that first-person too. One idea I envision how you can put everything together:

• You fly towards the base. It sends out stuff at you. You shoot it.
  • You land on a landing pad on the base. The character transforms to "humanoid mode" and then the camera zooms into his/her head. FPS time!
  • To convert the base you need to:
    • Find all the well-protected [Glowing red lights] and shoot them so that they turn green,
    • Enter the Main Computer Room that opens once all lights turn green,
    • Kill the Core Generator Vermin that controls the Main Computer Room
    • Destroy and kill a few millions of small enemies that die in one hit and that keep attacking you in large amounts all the time while exploring
  • Once you convert the Main Computer a countdown timer appears. "All Of Your Enemy Are Belong To Alerted! Sthrengthen Defensives!!".
  • At the same time all the Turret Shops unlock so you can use them. (Sometimes they're active before you convert the main computer, letting you buy some turrets to get past tough enemy spawners and stuff easily using the extra firepower. On EASY the shops are always active, on HARD you gotta convert the base first). Basically, when you buy a turret you start to hold it (think like how it looks when you hold a Weighted Companion Cube in Portal with the tip of your gun; do something like that). You can fire it as a normal gun (with lots of recoil) but most of the time you're better off placing it somewhere and buying a new turret / using your normal gun instead (depending on if you're building or defending).
  • So basically you run around and buy stuff from the shops (each shop sells a SINGLE kind of turret, so you only need to press the Buy key when near the shop to pick up a turret) and place them all around you so that you get some firepower help for the impending massive onslaught, anixiously checking the TIME TO NEXT WAVE meter.
  • Now you just survive a few waves of really strong, really fast enemies (think a Witch from Left 4 Dead, except equipped with a rocket launcher, as the easy enemy. For the difficult enemy you use the Angry Shopkeeper from Spelunky), including a really powerful boss enemy ("BOSS WAVE APPROACH!!"), and then the level is won and you get a well deserved "CONGRATE! LEVEL DEFEATED!" message shown over the entire screen plus a substantial amount of game cash (bosses exploding in gold coins are even more rewarding than bosses exploding in loads of gore. Of course you can do both and make it explode in gore AND coins).

#17 maxriderules

maxriderules

GMC Member

• 11 posts
  • Version:None

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

I personally agree that instead of FPS sections, there should be different TDS parts- in space, the controls would be 'floatier' or whatever- just a different style, instead of an entirely different genre.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users