13 replies to this topic

#1 Dimidoosie

Dimidoosie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

I've decided to continue the project as planned. It might take a lot longer than I expected to form a team, but I really want to make this game, so I'm going to have to keep searching for the right people.

Nancy's Rainbowland Demo: http://sandbox.yoyog...ncy-rainbowland

Nancy's Rainbowland is a 3D maze game in which you navigate the maze, collecting all of the orbs and avoiding all of the hazards. Nancy Stargaze is the character you control in this title; She is 19 years old and boasts an IQ of 300. She uses her smarts to build various gadgets, gizmos, vehicles and more. While you won't be doing any building, you will be able to use many of her inventions, mainly vehicles and such.

Edited by Dimidoosie, 12 June 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#2 Lemon Pie

Lemon Pie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

I liked the music. It reminded me of Kirby Super Star on the SNES =]
The enemies could be a bit smarter, & you should make the character slide across walls rather than stop at them. It was fun though.

#3 Dimidoosie

Dimidoosie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

I liked the music. It reminded me of Kirby Super Star on the SNES =]
The enemies could be a bit smarter, & you should make the character slide across walls rather than stop at them. It was fun though.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

I didn't make the music, mind you! I just downloaded it from Video Game Music Archive. It's only temporary until I get someone to compose original scores for it.

Smarter, how? I'm not attempting to turn the whole industry around or anything, it's just a freaking maze game for cripe's sakes! I've got more types of enemies in my head right now, including snowmen who throw snowballs, among other things. If everything had the smartest AI possible, the game would become self aware and decide to take over the world... or at least overwhelm the player like a hard-as-nails NES game developed by ljn Toys. (and if you've watched the Angry Video Game Nerd, you'll know what I'm talking about) Even the stupidest AI can provide a challenge depending on the environment. I actually have a hard time dodging the monsters in my game myself, as embarrassed as I am to say.

Anyway, thank you for the compliment, and the advice. I'm glad you had fun playing the overly-short demo game! That means I'm on the right track. Version 0.04 improves wall collisions, and since version 0.03, the monsters are a lot cuter and have more characterized animations.

Edited by Dimidoosie, 07 May 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#4 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

As a general rule, I don't download games that don't have screenshots. There was a problem a few years back with some people trolling the forums with viruses (I honestly don't think you are) and so I just make that my rule of thumb.

Upload screenshots and I would be more than happy to test your game. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I feel like such a pain saying this.... :confused:

Edited by IKSB, 07 May 2012 - 03:15 AM.

#5 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 891 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

As a general rule, I don't download games that don't have screenshots. There was a problem a few years back with some people trolling the forums with viruses (I honestly don't think you are) and so I just make that my rule of thumb.

Upload screenshots and I would be more than happy to test your game. :thumbsup:

EDIT: I feel like such a pain saying this.... :confused:

I kinda feel sorry myself, for the same reason but I am VERY glad that someone made the comment :thumbsup:
I agree, I prefer to see screenshots before DLing.

#6 GMkizzle

GMkizzle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 381 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hey mate, I see that your a little bit angry noone has replied/tried out your game.
I have to say if your post was a little more organised than I could guarantee your game would get more posts.

Maybe organise your post something like:
Spoiler

For lack of screenshots is the main reason I dont want to d/l the game atm.
General rule of thumb, cleaner topic = more attraction.

Hope this post helps!
Goodluck,
~GMkizzle

#7 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

34 views? Hey, it took me like 150 before I got any replies for my game. (And I don't mean the one I'm working on right now, I mean my very first one)
Anyway, the graphics and all that are pretty decent. I like that effect when you collect one of the spheres. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be playing as that girl in the corner, but all I see is her hat, like she's sunk into the ground or something.
It'd be nice if there was a counter showing how many spheres are left instead of how many you have. You need them all to beat the level anyway, so obviously you're going to want to know how many are left, especially since they get hidden behind blocks so easily.
Please make that "Am I gonna sit here all day?" phrase only repeat once in a while, or after you've been standing there for more than ten seconds. It gets irritating hearing it every time you stop.
So it's a pretty good start. One more thing you can do is make every level have a different design, like an actual maze instead of just having a grid like the first couple of levels.

...or at least overwhelm the player like a hard-as-nails NES game developed by ljn Toys.

^ Lol, AVGN reference!

#8 Dimidoosie

Dimidoosie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

34 views? Hey, it took me like 150 before I got any replies for my game. (And I don't mean the one I'm working on right now, I mean my very first one)
Anyway, the graphics and all that are pretty decent. I like that effect when you collect one of the spheres. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be playing as that girl in the corner, but all I see is her hat, like she's sunk into the ground or something.
It'd be nice if there was a counter showing how many spheres are left instead of how many you have. You need them all to beat the level anyway, so obviously you're going to want to know how many are left, especially since they get hidden behind blocks so easily.
Please make that "Am I gonna sit here all day?" phrase only repeat once in a while, or after you've been standing there for more than ten seconds. It gets irritating hearing it every time you stop.
So it's a pretty good start. One more thing you can do is make every level have a different design, like an actual maze instead of just having a grid like the first couple of levels.

...or at least overwhelm the player like a hard-as-nails NES game developed by ljn Toys.

^ Lol, AVGN reference!

I think I'll remove the voice acting, as it is pretty irritating.

I've tried to embed screenshots on this board, but it won't let me because apparently the file type is not supported. What file type is allowed?

I've been thinking about having an arrow to show you the nearest orb to nancy. However, I don't know how to do that. I can't figure out how to check the distance between objects. I know there's a code for that, but I've tried it, and I can't get it to work.

What do you mean that all you can see is her hat? The whole sprite should be showing, at least that's how my copy of the game is. Do you mean that you can only see her from the back? If that's the case, that's normal. If that's not the case, then send me a screenshot. It may be a glitch in the way your computer views the game. I developed the game using GM7 Pro, and a Windows XP.

Actually, there's only one level. This is a test level. Once you collect all the orbs, the room restarts. If it looks like I'm skimping on you or something, that's not the case. I haven't made all of the levels yet. I haven't even finished the existing one(s). I've got so many ideas for levels right now, it's not even funny. The level that you're playing is actually a throwback to how another one of my games looked.

I actually did put links to screenshots, but those screenshots were outdated. I haven't gotten around to posting links for the new screenshots.

Edited by Dimidoosie, 07 May 2012 - 11:58 PM.

#9 Dimidoosie

Dimidoosie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

bump (sorry)

#10 max_r_61270

max_r_61270

GMC Member

• 411 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Bump yourself!

#11 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8945 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

I think something that'd improve this game a lot would be having multiple height levels, levels that's layered. You could have a rule like this:'
- Enemies can't pass ramps.
- You can pass ramps.
- You can walk off ledges, but you can't jump, so you can do down but not up at some places.

Look up the YaruFPS engine in my signature, it's a 3D collisions engine you might find useful. Note that the ramps are actually elevators, so they only work with the player and not enemies. There's no 3D editor, but there's a method you can use; design levels in "slices" of equal width in the room editor (using a placeholder background to see where a slice begin or end) and then you can put the level together like this: just put this code in the Room Creation Code.
with(all){
  z = (x div 1024)*32
  x = x mod 1024
  event_user(0)
}
Here each chunk has a "height" of 32 and a "width" of 1024, so you should use a 1024x32 pix white-frame-on-black-background background for the chunk grid. (Tip: make the left/right lines of the grid background white, but make the horizontal top/bottom lines DARK GRAY - otherwise your eyes will hurt after a while of designing levels)

That is exactly the approach I used in Fire Tears, in fact.

I'd like some variety in this game; maze games easily end up as easy and repetitive. Suggestions:

- Nancy should have a healthbar (or more precisely, a Zelda-style heart gauge). Touching an enemy results in knockback in the direction your back is (which lets you place Ledge Bat enemies that knock you down into instant-death pits if you jump over the pit at the wrong time and hit them). After landing again you are temporarily invincible for a short while (say, 3-4 seconds).
You could start out with 3 hearts, and then by finding enough rare items (Heart-piece-style stuff) that's hidden in secret areas, you could get more hearts (up to say 7-10 at most). You still lose them all at Game Over, though, so be careful!

- I'd like a system where you get a Password / Pass Symbol Setup that can be used to get to new worlds. They would ONLY transfer the level progress, not your hearts, but at least you can continue a world you've reached even if you run out of lives.

- Nancy should be able to pick up crates, bombs, and other stuff not nailed to the ground. They could be used as platforms, for instance you could hurl some boxes into water or lava to be able to pass there, and they can also be used to attack enemies. Enemies don't die forever, though, they just get stunned and harmless a while, so you gotta hurry. Also, enemies can easily destroy stuff you NEED to clear the level, so you gotta think before attacking them.

- Bombs can also be used to break bombable walls. Not all bombable walls are obviously bombable, so sometimes you gotta see the wall from another foothold to notice the cracks in it.

- Death pits. The green greens level should use plain pits or maybe water (Nancy can't swim) while all levels who can get away with it should use lava. It's also pretty with animated level parts, so lava and water is better than plain pits.

- Decorations: we want variety in the levels, not just Isometric Kirby/Sonic-n-Flicky-style grids. You should add some pixelated love to the textures so that they look like ancient stone grids with nicks and cuts in them (aka, draw some random pixels on them in a slightly darker and a slightly whiter shade of their color, and maybe make the edges more obvious), and it'd also be nice with some texture variety. E.g. have some walls with runes or glyphs on them, have windows with curtains, etc.
Also try to have some Mode7 sprite decorations here and there; pot plants, furniture, flamingos... all kind of stuff.

#12 Dimidoosie

Dimidoosie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

I think something that'd improve this game a lot would be having multiple height levels, levels that's layered. You could have a rule like this:'
- Enemies can't pass ramps.
- You can pass ramps.
- You can walk off ledges, but you can't jump, so you can do down but not up at some places.

Look up the YaruFPS engine in my signature, it's a 3D collisions engine you might find useful. Note that the ramps are actually elevators, so they only work with the player and not enemies. There's no 3D editor, but there's a method you can use; design levels in "slices" of equal width in the room editor (using a placeholder background to see where a slice begin or end) and then you can put the level together like this: just put this code in the Room Creation Code.

with(all){
  z = (x div 1024)*32
  x = x mod 1024
  event_user(0)
}
Here each chunk has a "height" of 32 and a "width" of 1024, so you should use a 1024x32 pix white-frame-on-black-background background for the chunk grid. (Tip: make the left/right lines of the grid background white, but make the horizontal top/bottom lines DARK GRAY - otherwise your eyes will hurt after a while of designing levels)

That is exactly the approach I used in Fire Tears, in fact.

I'd like some variety in this game; maze games easily end up as easy and repetitive. Suggestions:

- Nancy should have a healthbar (or more precisely, a Zelda-style heart gauge). Touching an enemy results in knockback in the direction your back is (which lets you place Ledge Bat enemies that knock you down into instant-death pits if you jump over the pit at the wrong time and hit them). After landing again you are temporarily invincible for a short while (say, 3-4 seconds).
You could start out with 3 hearts, and then by finding enough rare items (Heart-piece-style stuff) that's hidden in secret areas, you could get more hearts (up to say 7-10 at most). You still lose them all at Game Over, though, so be careful!

- I'd like a system where you get a Password / Pass Symbol Setup that can be used to get to new worlds. They would ONLY transfer the level progress, not your hearts, but at least you can continue a world you've reached even if you run out of lives.

- Nancy should be able to pick up crates, bombs, and other stuff not nailed to the ground. They could be used as platforms, for instance you could hurl some boxes into water or lava to be able to pass there, and they can also be used to attack enemies. Enemies don't die forever, though, they just get stunned and harmless a while, so you gotta hurry. Also, enemies can easily destroy stuff you NEED to clear the level, so you gotta think before attacking them.

- Bombs can also be used to break bombable walls. Not all bombable walls are obviously bombable, so sometimes you gotta see the wall from another foothold to notice the cracks in it.

- Death pits. The green greens level should use plain pits or maybe water (Nancy can't swim) while all levels who can get away with it should use lava. It's also pretty with animated level parts, so lava and water is better than plain pits.

- Decorations: we want variety in the levels, not just Isometric Kirby/Sonic-n-Flicky-style grids. You should add some pixelated love to the textures so that they look like ancient stone grids with nicks and cuts in them (aka, draw some random pixels on them in a slightly darker and a slightly whiter shade of their color, and maybe make the edges more obvious), and it'd also be nice with some texture variety. E.g. have some walls with runes or glyphs on them, have windows with curtains, etc.
Also try to have some Mode7 sprite decorations here and there; pot plants, furniture, flamingos... all kind of stuff.

This game is in its earliest stages right now. A lot of your ideas I have already considered. The game has only two test rooms right now, and I have been planning to add some scenery. I'm not good with textures, so I'm going to need a texture artist for that.

As for different heights, this particular game will not be designed to use the z-axis very much, only for basic things such as rotations. I will not be adding heights to the game. However, I have been thinking about sequels, (a little too early for that, though) and I was wanting to add game mechanics to those games that would put the z-axis into effect. (the third game would be the most advanced, as Nancy would have a rocket belt that would be utilized in every aspect of that game's design)

I have considered hazards other than enemy creatures, and I've also fiddled around my mind with variety and scenery. I was planning to have various boss fights with Meduza at the end of each region, as well as some puzzles and vehicle-riding stages. I was thinking about a stage where you slide downhill in the snow, avoiding hazards along the way (since the game won't be using the z-axis for height, I was going to tilt the camera a bit to give the illusion that you're going downhill, among other clever tricks.)

I'm not going to have a password system. I will have an actual save system. I hate passwords, especially those that are super long. As The Angry Video Game Nerd would say, "Why do the passwords have to be so ****ing long?! What were they THINKING?!"

I have a team requests topic up, and I am in need of assistance with this project. The link is in my signature, I have no idea why no one has PMed me about it yet. It's RIGHT THERE dangit! *ahem* right... Maybe no one is interested? I don't know. Everyone else is getting a team together, why can't I? Do I offend? *sniffs armpit* Ew... stinky...

#13 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 8945 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

I'm not going to have a password system. I will have an actual save system. I hate passwords, especially those that are super long. As The Angry Video Game Nerd would say, "Why do the passwords have to be so ****ing long?! What were they THINKING?!"

For your game, I think all you need to save is one number in the range [0,8) - the world number - and one number in the range [0,256) - the stage number - and perhaps lives, which we may limit to [0,256) too. This should be possible to squeeze into a 10-symbol sequence (6 symbols if you don't save the lives) if each symbol slot may have a value between 0 and 4, say for instance that the symbols are [Nancy's face], [bomb], [orb] and [empty].

#14 Dimidoosie

Dimidoosie

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

I've read some of my replies, and they're all just cringe-worthy. I've acted like an ass in every single one, smacking down everyone's ideas. I apologize for this, guys.

Also, this game is no longer in development, as I was unable to rally up a team.

Edited by Dimidoosie, 01 June 2013 - 04:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users