11 replies to this topic

#1 Froodjakle

Froodjakle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

Okay, I wasn't planning on revealing this project this early, but here's the deal; my computer sucks, and I have no idea if the lag I'm currently getting is caused by unoptimized coding, or my computer being horrible. So now I turn to you, GMC.

As the title description suggests, this isn't a full demo - There's no actual levels or anything yet, no enemies to fight, as I've been working on the game engine itself. What I need to know, primarily, is how the framerate is for everybody - The number above the characters head is the current FPS, and the max is 60.
Please let me know what your frame rates are for the following actions:
- Standing still
- Running/jumping around
- Shooting into the sky with the machine gun
- Grenades going off
- Any combination of the above

Of course, you're more than welcome to offer feedback on anything else in the game, as well. I've been working on it for a good while, and I'm pretty proud of everything I've done so far - All graphics are hand-made by me, the music is temporary and was found in the Newgrounds audio portal, and the sound effects are from findsounds.com - And of course, a BIG thanks to the FMOD Sound System for making the 3D sound systems possible.

I'll explain a bit more about the project later if anyone's interested, but for now I just want to get the topic up and going so I can see what kind of FPS people get - Here's some screenshots and a download link; the list of controls is included in a txt within the zip.

HEADPHONES ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR FULL 3D SOUND

- DOWNLOAD - PLEASE EXTRACT THE ZIP INTO ITS OWN FOLDER! It may not run properly if left unextracted!

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

#2 ookami125

ookami125

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

well it seems to be running fine for me (60 fps all the way through) but that doesn't mean your code can't be optimized i think i can help if you need any. just pm me if you do.

Edited by ookami125, 05 May 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#3 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 556 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:26 AM

Runs at 60 most of the time, but it dips down to 58-59 near more people and shadows, and my computer is a fairly nice laptop. (Not great, but decent.) I would add graphics options for the game, because I could imagine it getting slower with actual graphics...

#4 Froodjakle

Froodjakle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

Runs at 60 most of the time, but it dips down to 58-59 near more people and shadows, and my computer is a fairly nice laptop. (Not great, but decent.) I would add graphics options for the game, because I could imagine it getting slower with actual graphics...

That's really weird.. The shadows are actually just a tileset; a transparent tileset, but a tileset nonetheless. They shouldn't be causing any real lag, and the NPCs don't have much going on either. What do you mean 'with actual graphics' though? Just more complicated backgrounds? The graphics that are in right now are all pretty much finalized. Yeah, there will be more complexity, but mostly in the form of tilesets, so I can't imagine lag would get much worse than it is now. If anything it would have to be the player character causing lag, although even he doesn't have THAT much going on at any particular moment.. Were you actually shooting or anything when the FPS dipped down to 58-59, or just walking around? I'm using ini's for a lot of stuff here, but I've never used them before, so does anyone know if they typically cause a lot of lag when they're opened? Every time you shoot an ini is being opened, read, and then closed, and that's typically when I notice the most lag. I could imagine that being a cause of it, so if that's the case I'll write it as a variable on the character so it doesn't have to be opened so often.

#5 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Okay.... yeah, now that you say that I don't know how the shadows could cause more lag. It was more around the people-shadowed area that I got a dip in FPS. What I mean by actual graphics is when there are explosions, bullets flying, complex environment art... stuff like that.

In that case, I don't know what's causing the slow down. That's the problem I have with GM; it's very inefficient and can easily slow down.

Tell you what: when you have a version with all the crazy graphics going off, shoot me a PM and I'll come back and test it again to see how it's running.

#6 Destron

Destron

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 960 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

Getting a solid 60 FPS, I have to thrown like 20 grenades to get any drop. I didn't experience the frame drop near the shadows either. Looks to be shaping up to be a really nice game, love the menus!

Here is the specs of the box i tested on:
Spoiler

Secondary test on this slower box
Spoiler

Initial load was slow, firing bullets dropped a frame to 59 FPS and about 6-7 grenades only dropped me to 58, but never seen it frop below 58.

Edited by Destron, 06 May 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#7 billydoesitbest

billydoesitbest

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

This is quite cool. I really would like to see where this goes!

I have to throw around 20 grenades to see a 5 fps drop.
I threw around 100 grenades, and dropped to 30 fps. I doubt this would be a normal scenario.

Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X4 620 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM (6 GB) DDR2
Graphics: NVIDIA GTS 450

Not the fastest machine, but handles the game engine just fine.

#8 deluksic

deluksic

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

This game is awesome! The movement is smooth, graphics are good and all.

I would suggest you to make a blurring effect when aiming so the target u aim is in focus while everything else is blurred. I made that effect with few functions if you're interested :)

please tell me how you made your game load so fast? my games are made with gm81 and they are loading for at least 6-10 sec even with empty room only :(

#9 Froodjakle

Froodjakle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

First off, thanks everybody for the kind words and performance reports. I think my computer was just having a bad day, it's been running much smoother lately, but I still got a few performance optimizations done in the meantime, and I'm starting to work on getting some enemies in so I can start working on actual gameplay rather than just the engine.

Thanks for the suggestion deluksic, I'll keep it in mind. I'm not sure if I would like it personally, but I'll look up some stuff about it. As for how I got the game to load so fast.. All I can think of is that the larger files - sounds and music - are loaded externally using FMOD, instead of being handled by Game Maker. Aside from that I honestly don't have a clue; to be honest my coding organization and whatnot is pretty haphazard most of the time, I'm just as surprised that it works so well.

#10 jalb

jalb

Joshua Brookover

• GMC Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

Hi,

This has a remarkable amount of production value, good job with it!

The controls are fairly intuitive when walking around, crouching and shooting. However it feels awkward having W to be the key to climb up ledges. I feel like you should not have to hold any keys, and if you jump near a ledge you automatically grab hold (like many other games). I forget to hold W, then I jump near a ledge, remember to hold W, jump again, then I try to hold W to climb up but actually need to press space to jump up. Maybe it's something you could get used to but it is a little annoying at first. An animation to climb up (instead of having to jump off) would be a nice addition. Extending the ladder a little further up so you can "walk off" it instead of jumping off would also be welcome.

The messages are really well made. Too many games just throw the text at you all at once which is a major turn off, so I enjoy seeing something that someone has clearly put some time into. I do have one complaint.
Posted Image
This is rather ugly. If you use your mouse and scroll over them it looks a lot better, but if you use your number keys this is really dull.

Menus should always be controlled by whatever input device you use. Mouse based games should have a mouse based menu, and keyboard based games should have a keyboard based menu. I was very pleased to see that you took the extra effort to make a mouse and keyboard game have a mouse and keyboard enabled menu system. Excellent work! I think, however, that escape should not quit the game from the menu. Every game I have played that uses an escape menu also closes the menu when pressing escape again. It is a hassle to reach all the way over to the enter key to close the menu. Perhaps add a "Quit game" option under the "Options" tab once implemented?

Sound and music was good. No complaints here.

Not a whole lot to say about gameplay, seeing as there isn't much. The guns are nice, the grenades are nice. That's about all I got with that.

This is some quality work, and it shows that you have spent some time on every little aspect of the game thus far. I do hope that you continue working on this project as it has a lot of potential.

I'm using ini's for a lot of stuff here, but I've never used them before, so does anyone know if they typically cause a lot of lag when they're opened? Every time you shoot an ini is being opened, read, and then closed, and that's typically when I notice the most lag.

This is a very bad idea. You do not want to open and close files throughout game play. Open them once and keep them open, if anything. Why would you need to be constantly updating an INI file anyway? INI files are slow. It is better to hold whatever information you are tracking in some variables until the game closes and then updating the INI file.

#11 Froodjakle

Froodjakle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thanks so much for the in-depth comment, jalb. I really appreciate the acknowledgment of the production values especially, it's true that I tend to put a lot of time and effort into the little things to make the game as professional as I can, and it's a really nice compliment to me when people notice that.

I'll consider my options for reworking the climbing controls. I've never been a big fan of auto-grabbing, so I don't think I'll do that; I prefer giving the player complete control over as much of their character as I can. But I see your point, W is a little awkward.. It's never bothered me much, but I'll think about what I can do to change it.

For the dialogue choices, what would you suggest changing it to? Perhaps holding the number key would highlight that choice, and then releasing it would choose it? I don't want to rework the system completely (I don't want a dialogue system like, say, Mass Effect,) but I can understand how you would think using the number keys looks ugly, considering I didn't do anything to spruce it up graphically. I'm not really sure what to do about it, though.

I'll probably add a quit game option in the options menu once it's done, then. Again, I've never had much trouble with it since it's instinctual for me after all my testing, but it does seem a little wonky. I won't worry about it for now, but once I get the options menu going I'll add that and change esc to close the menu as well.

Thanks for the feedback about ini's. Like I said, I've never used them before, and I swear I remember reading something about needing to close ini files before continuing to run a game. I must be imagining that though, so I'll rework it to have variables that save to an ini whenever you save your game.

Again, thanks a lot for all the feedback everybody, it's really motivating to know that everybody already thinks the project has potential, even in it's infancy.

#12 jalb

jalb

Joshua Brookover

• GMC Member
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Perhaps holding the number key would highlight that choice, and then releasing it would choose it?

That could work. When I first played it I was turned off by it (with everything else being so polished it was very distracting seeing one thing that was not polished), but after looking at it once more and noticing you could use your mouse instead, my attitude changed a bit. The highlight on the options is what changed my mind, I think. Adding that highlight whenever someone presses a number, even if it's for a brief moment, could be just what it needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users