14 replies to this topic

#1 Ninja Dodo

Ninja Dodo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

My brother and I made this game for Molyjam 2012 last month. Created in 48 hours. We built it in GM8 and then ported it over to HTML5.

Posted Image

Play it here: http://www.ninjadodo...yjam2012/html5/

Rob your enemies of their momentum!

Controlled with ARROW KEYS and SPACE (plus R to reset). The game was inspired by the tweet: "What if the pause button was a weapon? Until developers think outside the box we're going downhill."

Edited by Ninja Dodo, 14 December 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#2 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

I didn't think you meant "Rob your enemies of their momentum" literally haha so it took me a minute to figure out. Awesome job, the levels get hard quick!

#3 Ninja Dodo

Ninja Dodo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Thanks! :smile:

#4 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 7462 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

This is actually a very novel idea, and - at times it works out as a strategy, and at other times as action. The action part can be a bit tricky because it requires accurate timing sometimes. I do feel that the rather tight collision masks are somewhat limiting on the player experience. In fact, the platforming element in itself also leaves a something to be desired, it's a bit unforgiving. But given the 48 hours, what can you expect. It would be nice to see it extended into a fuller, more feature-rich game.

Well done on the graphics, they're really good-looking - especially in that short time frame. If you ever find the time to build this idea out then I'd suggest working on the animations a bit, because at times it is difficult to spot if a pirate actually dies or not - it's just a pirate bobbing down.

#5 Ninja Dodo

Ninja Dodo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I do feel that the rather tight collision masks are somewhat limiting on the player experience. In fact, the platforming element in itself also leaves a something to be desired, it's a bit unforgiving.

Do you mean the hitboxes are too unforgiving in that you are missing jumps or in that you are being unfairly hit by enemies or cannons?

#6 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 874 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Ahem ... err ... I don't seem to quite "get it" :wacko:

I mean, I was able to finally get the guy in the first level to run after me, and eventually he fell overboard. The second level is ... well ... just a tad too hard for me :laugh:

What I haven't quite figured out is what is so special about the PAUSE function (and that is probably why I'm having issues.)

After reading the couple of descriptions in the previous comments, I was expecting the PAUSE to work in such a manner that if I time it correctly and the enemy is in mid-jump then he would fall down (when paused) but apparently it doesn't seem to do anything except just PAUSE the game (I'm using Chrome btw in case that matters(???))

HAYLP?!

#7 Smarty

Smarty

GMC Member

• Retired Staff
  • 7462 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Do you mean the hitboxes are too unforgiving in that you are missing jumps or in that you are being unfairly hit by enemies or cannons?

The latter. Enemies, specifically. The players may need to be cut some slack. Then again, I may just be slow.

#8 Ninja Dodo

Ninja Dodo

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

@Smarty: OK. Maybe this will get tweaked but we'll have to playtest this some more.

@Futhark: Odd that it didn't work for you. I've tested the game on Chrome and apart from some occasional variations in game speed it seemed to consistently work as it does in Firefox.

What the Pause function does is stop all momentum as shown in this video. So if you pause while an enemy is mid-jump over a gap, he will fall down into the water. It could be you were pausing when the enemy was already nearly on the other side... otherwise I'm not sure.

Maybe try the downloadable version?

#9 Scarecrowman

Scarecrowman

GMC Member

• 37 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

Awesome painted artwork!

#10 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 6808 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

This is a great looking game, so +1 for that. But it was way too hard (for me at least). I couldn't get past the first pirate.

#11 Overloaded

Overloaded

GMCJam fanatic

• GMC Member
  • 823 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

Damn, that was quite hard, but I beat all the levels.

#12 Jakyl11

Jakyl11

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3125 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

took a minute or two to figure out the mechanics.but its a very interesting idea.
i like it.

#13 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

@Futhark: Odd that it didn't work for you. I've tested the game on Chrome and apart from some occasional variations in game speed it seemed to consistently work as it does in Firefox.

Woo hoo! Now it works! Cool game :-)

I'm glad the poster above re-discovered this game, I couldn't remember the name of it :thumbsup:

#14 Ruub

Ruub

Finn The Human

• GMC Member
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

After you find your flow the game seemed rather easy, since I got my flow with the cannon balls only one stayed alive and I barely had to do anything after that. Funny game though, if you would continue it maybe the pause button would cause a slomotion which would give it a little extra.

Also the tweet is silly, just populair opinion based on bias. :mellow:

#15 GreekArachnid

GreekArachnid

GMC Member

• 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

I played your game :)
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=0WLJjc5ehow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users