Photo

Is there a way to get more Frames (fps)?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DuTchEr95

DuTchEr95

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hello,

Is there a way to get more frames per second (FPS) in your game, without changing the room_speed.

i don't want to change the room speed since then everything moves way to fast.
will it work if i reduce the movement speed? would everything be half the speed if i change it to for example from 30 to 60?
or is there another way to get more fps, without changing the room_speed?

please let me know what the best thing to do is to get more FPS.

-DuTchEr95

PS: wow, i've posted a lot lately :P

Edited by DuTchEr95, 03 May 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#2 fluidic ice

fluidic ice

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 812 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Change the room speed and then adjust everything in-game, but be sure the game can still run at the new full speed, as you don't want it running at 50/60 fps. Although there's a technique you can do to be able to adjust the room speed as you wish and everything else's speed changes. If you divide the movement speed by "room_speed / 30" and for alarms do multiplication instead.

#3 DuTchEr95

DuTchEr95

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Change the room speed and then adjust everything in-game, but be sure the game can still run at the new full speed, as you don't want it running at 50/60 fps. Although there's a technique you can do to be able to adjust the room speed as you wish and everything else's speed changes. If you divide the movement speed by "room_speed / 30" and for alarms do multiplication instead.

So basically the only way to get more fps, is by changing the room speed to 60, for 60 fps for example?

and to change all the movement you put at for example, hspeed was -14 at 30 fps/roomspeed and what exactly do i fill in when the fps/roomspeed = 60?

#4 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

So basically the only way to get more fps, is by changing the room speed to 60, for 60 fps for example?

and to change all the movement you put at for example, hspeed was -14 at 30 fps/roomspeed and what exactly do i fill in when the fps/roomspeed = 60?

Either change the hard-coding (if you're sure you want the room_speed to always be 60) so that hspeed is -7 and do that for everything (cut everything in half since you are doubling the room_speed), or simply change the hspeed to -14*room_speed/30 (which is really the better way of doing it) or simply after the line of code that says hspeed=-14; then add another line of code saying hspeed=hspeed*room_speed/30. You don't even have to go into every object and do it... just make a controller object and give that command to every instance in the room to do the same thing (I'm not sure if there's any code to automatically do it to all at once, but you could do object1.hspeed=hspeed*room_speed/30; object2.hspeed=hspeed*room_speed/30; object3.hspeed=hspeed*room_speed/30; etc.

Be careful when doing this... as fluidic ice pointed out, you may create a situation where the games lags (and instead of running twice as smoothly as a game with a room_speed of 30, it would actually run even worse). Its because basically the computer needs to make all of its calculations once every frame... at 60 fps the computer is working twice as hard as it was at 30 fps. That's why you can't just change the room_speed to like 1000 and have a super-smooth game. My reccommendation is to just leave it at 30 unless ther is some reason that you absolutely must have it higher.

Edited by dannyjenn, 03 May 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#5 DuTchEr95

DuTchEr95

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

Either change the hard-coding (if you're sure you want the room_speed to always be 60) so that hspeed is -7 and do that for everything (cut everything in half since you are doubling the room_speed), or simply change the hspeed to -14*room_speed/30 (which is really the better way of doing it) or simply after the line of code that says hspeed=-14; then add another line of code saying hspeed=hspeed*room_speed/30. You don't even have to go into every object and do it... just make a controller object and give that command to every instance in the room to do the same thing (I'm not sure if there's any code to automatically do it to all at once, but you could do object1.hspeed=hspeed*room_speed/30; object2.hspeed=hspeed*room_speed/30; object3.hspeed=hspeed*room_speed/30; etc.

Be careful when doing this... as fluidic ice pointed out, you may create a situation where the games lags (and instead of running twice as smoothly as a game with a room_speed of 30, it would actually run even worse). Its because basically the computer needs to make all of its calculations once every frame... at 60 fps the computer is working twice as hard as it was at 30 fps. That's why you can't just change the room_speed to like 1000 and have a super-smooth game. My reccommendation is to just leave it at 30 unless ther is some reason that you absolutely must have it higher.

thanks for your info, it helped a lot!
I will use room_Speed 60, since it really smooths out movement.
and 30 is just choppy for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users