3 replies to this topic

#1 NEPC

NEPC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 73 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Just started a new project, and copied numerous actions into the game that I hand picked from a previous "dummy" project.

The error that I'm getting occurs ONLY during gameplay, and when the music plays, it does not.

Now, I have no idea of figuring out what the problem is. I have an older project with identical actions but different event placements. The worst thing is, this is what is in the actions that every Game Maker project has. This is very frustrating as I would hate to have to port each action into a new project again to make sure everything is working. I just don't understand the problem.

EDIT: Problem solved. Since the error was referring to elements I took at a look at mine and found an error in the step event in the step event in the control object. You can close this thread.
EDIT 2: The fix is still not working.
EDIT 3: I've finally changed the create event to game start.

Edited by NEPC, 08 December 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#2 ChefDavid22

ChefDavid22

No, YOU shut up!

• GMC Member
  • 1193 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Every time I have issues with sounds I test trying the following:

- make sure my sounds are WAV not MP3. MP3 sound good but for whatever reason (Ive never asked why because I dont care) GM likes wav better.
- Have you tried playing the sound using the simple drag and drop method?
- Have you tried playing the sound in the room creation setting?

If all three of these fail then you are going to have to go into a lot of detail with code posted and possibly screen shots.

#3 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

- make sure my sounds are WAV not MP3. MP3 sound good but for whatever reason (Ive never asked why because I dont care) GM likes wav better.

.wav's are uncompressed, so perfect for sound fx, and you can play multiple at the same time.

They can get very large, though, so .mp3's (use windows multimedia player.. I believe because of licensing reasons) is the choice for music.

You can use .midi's, of course, in GM, and all the sound functions work on them.
And if you opt for a .DLL, the .ogg is an excellent alternative to .mp3.

Edited by Desert Dog, 01 May 2012 - 10:49 PM.
Note, I'm not really an expert on sound

#4 NEPC

NEPC

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:52 AM

.wav's are uncompressed, so perfect for sound fx, and you can play multiple at the same time.

They can get very large, though, so .mp3's (use windows multimedia player.. I believe because of licensing reasons) is the choice for music.

You can use .midi's, of course, in GM, and all the sound functions work on them.
And if you opt for a .DLL, the .ogg is an excellent alternative to .mp3.

It works, you can now close this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users