Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 20887 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

Posted Image

PLAY HERE

This game was developed for the GMCJam competition, which had "tranquility" as it's theme. As such I decided to go for a game that is relaxing to play due to it's visual and aural attributes.

Posted Image

In the game EVERYTHING has a unique sound and behaviour, and the snake can interact with everything too... but don't think I'm going to tell you anything else! You have to discover how to play as you go along...

Have fun playing and I look forward to getting some feedback on this as, although it is a complete game "as is", I feel that I can keep adding to it to make it a loger lasting experience that will make you come back for more.

PS: I strongly suggest playing in full screen (f10 in chrome), with sound on your speakers, and (if you can) with the lights off!

#2 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• Retired Staff
  • 4772 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

Congrats on being the first person I've met since 1987 who knows the word "ataraxia".

Very pretty game, visually and aurally. I like the secondary mechanic involving the larger green bits. What I haven't seen is much in the way of a risk/reward dynamic, but I haven't played it much yet.

There seem to be some positional problems with the mouse for me in Chrome full-screen. I can't reach the right side or bottom of the screen. Shame because the mouse control would clearly benefit it didn't get hung up on the borders. In Firefox, the full-screen controls work fine, but the game only runs at 1/3 normal speed. I suspect this is a hardware acceleration problem. I only get 7 FPS on the hardware acceleration stress test.

This looks like it would be ideal for a tablet.

#3 greyzebra

greyzebra

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

It's just... beautiful. Never knew GM:HTML5 can do this.

Feedback? Just let me play a bit more maybe I can find one

Edited by greyzebra, 01 May 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#4 rmedtx

rmedtx

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Nocturne, that is a very beautiful game. Just amazing!

#5 mazimadu

mazimadu

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

I cant believe you did it ::lmao:: . You successfully cloned Flow, a ps3 game with Game maker html5. Take that flash fan boys

Congrats. Congrats.

#6 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 20887 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thanks guys for the kind words! I shall be making this bigger and better over the next few weeks, so come back and play again...

PS: @Mazimadu : I'd never even heard of "Flow" until two days ago, so I didn't actually copy it! Although I can see why you would think so after having been shown youtube vids...

#7 OMGCarlos

OMGCarlos

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 329 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

That was beautiful! I played it for a while and it really did make me feel relaxed. Easily one of the most polished GM:HTML5 games I've seen so far, hell, any HTML5 game.

#8 OldSkoolGamer

OldSkoolGamer

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Really cool, got 11315 before I got bored and quit. Very good game especially for HTML5, running it in FireFox 12 here, ASUS G74SX - quad core, GeForce GTX 560M 3GB, 16GB RAM

#9 stoneyftw

stoneyftw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

May I ask how you made the graphics in gamemaker nocturne? This is more than just sprites correct? I'm a bit noobish in Gamemaker yet.

Edited by stoneyftw, 12 May 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#10 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 20887 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

The actual sprites were created with a combination of FreeHand and Photoshop. Freehand to draw some quick vector shapes which I then rasterized as hi quality jpg. These were then imported into photoshop for post-processing by adding glow and alpha blending. A couple were also hastily touched up in GM itself afterwards... Oh and thanks for playing!

#11 stoneyftw

stoneyftw

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

The glow and alpha blending are quite beautiful in this game. Also, the animated intro to your games, game me the motivation to make my intro splash screen altogether. I'm quite glad there are some experienced users like you in these forums to push the boundaries of what is possible and to give the rest of us inspiration and ideas.

#12 greyzebra

greyzebra

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

( I lost my prev post.)

Just want to say that IMHO this is the best game for GMC Jam 6. It should win #1 or at least best use of theme.

and considering that you never heard of "Flow" before (as it is the first thing that popped out of my mind), it is double awesome.

Edited by greyzebra, 19 May 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#13 ParrotPeach

ParrotPeach

GMC Member

• 82 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Graphics are great... I like that "vector soft glow" style. Reminds me of geometry wars with an added touch.

Music = Awesome... very relaxing. Sort of like the same relaxing feeling you get when Bob Ross paints a picture.

Good job, keep up the good work.

Edited by ParrotPeach, 19 May 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#14 peter879

peter879

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

Very beautiful game with amazing graphics. Quite dreamy. It's the kind of game I can play a thousand times without getting bored.

Edited by peter879, 21 May 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#15 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

I like it I almost fell asleep, not saying it was boring but to relaxing. :P
I wonder if there is anything else?

Edited by creators124, 21 May 2012 - 05:00 AM.

#16 Kindred

Kindred

Pixel Artist

• GMC Member
  • 1199 posts
  • Version:GM5

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

This game is almost as calming as meditating.

I was surprised wrapping around the blocks actually crushed them. The first time I played something shooting saw blades came out, but the second time the same thing just went on and on...until the snake turned pink. I have no idea what that did but it was interesting. It kind of felt like playing Yume Nikki but without the freakishness.

#17 98cafe

98cafe

GMC Member

• 15 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Makes me even more eager to start building my own games :)

#18 Mornez

Mornez

GMC Member

• Sandbox Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:24 AM

Really cool...Reminds me of this "Featured" yoyogame...
http://sandbox.yoyog...games/32692-j20

Note: I too am using Dropbox for my game.
How did you set your game so it appears in the middle of the screen...and not the upper left corner?

#19 fasteddy_jones

fasteddy_jones

Anarchist

• GMC Member
  • 663 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

This game is fantastic. The visuals, the sounds, the controls, all simple and beautiful in their own, distinct way. What I loved most about playing this game, was the fact the gameplay mechanics were so simple I was able to figure them out, without a single hint being given. When I discovered how to eat the larger food items, I felt pretty good. When I realized I could transfer that knowledge over to those annoying pink invaders, I felt like a genius. This game is truly one of the best I have played on the GMC and I have been here since 2005. Well done sir, and please continue building this.

fasteddy

#20 ZingZingZap

ZingZingZap

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

When I realized I could transfer that knowledge over to those annoying pink invaders, I felt like a genius.

Any chance of a hint?

Zzz

#21 binarybits

binarybits

Binary Bits

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

SO RELAXING

Edited by binarybits, 30 August 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#22 Lemon Flavor

Lemon Flavor

The Helpful Lemon

• GMC Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

Very relaxing and atmospheric in a way. I love the sounds, the glow, the sense of discovery and accomplishment that goes along with discovering game mechanics. Ran surprisingly well on my computer, which is impressive on its own. I eventually turned too trying to kill my snake because I realized I had been sucked into the game for longer than I intended. Nice job!

#23 nimajneb

nimajneb

GMC Member

• 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

God this was such an incredible experience.

All of the sounds just blended into the atmosphere in such an excellent, fluid fashion that I just got lost in a trance.

Using the player's own curiosity as a replacement for a tutorial might have been the best thing about this game.  The feeling I got when I figured out a new game mechanic was just wonderful.

The way you displayed the health was also very clever.

I played through a few times, but I kept on slowly dying out at around 15 thousand points when the new enemy showed up.  I really, really wanted to see if there was anything beyond that, but it also took a long time to get to that point in the first place and so  I just gave it up.

So anyways I love this game and I hope that you become rich or achieve enlightenment or whatever it is that you want in life exactly. (:

Edited by nimajneb, 07 September 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#24 Braffolk

Braffolk

Lumenus Team

• GMC Member
  • 812 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

such a beatiful game :)

#25 binarybits

binarybits

Binary Bits

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

How did you get the snake like object to grow???

#26 Mattthew_H

Mattthew_H

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

This is awesome. I love it! I've been playing it for the past 20 minutes, still haven't gotten bored.
Everything is so fluid, should be really proud. :)

#27 binarybits

binarybits

Binary Bits

• GMC Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

Great game!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users