• GMC Member
  • 1840 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Posted Image

Download Link
Download Size: 10.9 MB
Download Host: Host-A.net

Grow your own Garden of Tranquility in Bloom. Each level is a relaxing puzzler in which you can plant the seed, angle the streams of water and sunlight, and grow the next bit of life for your Garden.

Press F1 for Help:
Left click to move objects.
Right click to rotate objects.
Plant the seed, direct the water and sunlight, and watch your garden grow!

If for some reason, you don't see a seed on a level, that's okay...it's already planted in the soil. It baffles me why this is a bug...I only needed 1 more day to fix everything up! :P

Screenshots
Posted Image
Posted Image

Credits
Riley Gombart - Game Development/Graphics Design/Overlord
Miss Ninja - Concept Artwork/Level Design/Overlord's Sense of Reason
Jess - Level Design/You will learn to hate him post level 9.
Kai Hartwig - Music Composer - Website

Development Log

DAY 1

Spoiler

DAY 2
Spoiler

DAY 3
Spoiler

Edited by Chessmasterriley, 18 May 2012 - 07:42 PM.

#2 brighteyes

brighteyes

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:00 AM

Of all the jam games I think this one is probably the best I've played so far! It's a really great concept and I'm loving the visual style. I think it would be a great mobile game if you end up getting Gmail:S too.

To be nitpicky though, I did dining that bug where guessed doesn't show up after stage 1. Also it seems like if you drag the mirror off the screen and release quickly it attracted and inaccessible. This did force me to restart a few levels.

#3 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1840 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thank you for your kind words! Regarding the bug and dragging the items off the screen - yeah...it's a real bummer they're still there. I was bugfixing up until the very last minute, but I just couldn't fix it. After the voting is done, I'll finish this game up and release it with the level editor we used to design the levels.

Now that I realize it, this belongs in the WIP section. I'll see if a mod can move it.

-Riley

Edited by Chessmasterriley, 01 May 2012 - 04:23 PM.

#4 CaptainLepidus

CaptainLepidus

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 850 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:47 AM

Great game, It was excellent in pretty much every category. But how can I beat Level 14!!! Posted Image It's been easy up until now...but I either run out of mirrors or brightness before reaching the dirt...

#5 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

Heads up: I though it was very well made and presented BUT just complimenting the game doesn't help it! So here is a healthy, hearty critique!

It really didn't take advantage of the existing game mechanics very well. In the very first level you introduce the simple mechanic of manipulating light and water... and it doesn't go beyond there. The rest of the game was a matter of me merely lining up the platforms as a ramp for the water to haphazardly splash along into the seed. And why did you only plant the seed in the first level? Did that have significance?

The only level that challenged me was the one with 17 mirrors towards the end, and I ended up rage quitting this because I managed to get the light all the way to the end... but the plant didn't grow. I don't know why. I realize that it was probably not enough light, but I had the thing engineered quite brilliantly and it still didn't work. This level was especially jarring because there was no difficulty curve leading up to this point. I was just mindless clicking before that and then suddenly I was slapped in the face by this ludicrous level design.

SO, how do I recommend moving on from here? I'm glad you asked!

- MORE VARIED GAME MECHANICS
When I saw the hollowed-out log-thing I was hopeful that this would be some new, useful mechanic. I was disappointed. The entire game revolves around one thing with no variation: line up platforms into ramp. Line up mirror to reflect. Done. Switch it up with something different, like a water-wheel, or solar-powered devices. Something to keep me learning and discovering.

- DIFFICULTY CURVE
At the moment this is non-existent. The game is mind numbingly easy and then suddenly you get destroyed by an impossible level. Have a smooth curve of progression: introduce a mechanic, then make it more complicated. Once that is developed, introduce another mechanic, make it complicated, mix it with mechanic 1, make it even more complicated. Then introduce mechanic 3... etc. This will involve you spending more time - by more time I mean a heck of alot of time - on level design, which is possibly the most important part of a physics based game like this.

- PURPOSE IN COLLECTION
So I found a stone leaf. Cool. What do I do with it? Not the foggiest idea. Either give these collectables some purpose or get rid of them. And it would be good to make them a little bit more difficult to find.

- MAKE SOME EYE CANDY
The game has a very playful aesthetic to it, but the background is just dull. Have it change up to fit the level a little bit more. Make the background look like you're in a shed at first. Maybe when you add solar powered devices it looks like you're in someone's garage. I don't know. But just having a brown background with a green border is boring. HOWEVER you also want to be careful because sometimes your game mechanics could make the computer chug (not because my computer is weak, but because GML is inefficient). So I would make these backgrounds ONLY, no moving parts.

- PORT TO iDEVICES
This game is perfectly suited for mobile devices and it would be a silly thing to not think in that direction.

I know this might have seemed harsh, but let me just say that most of the stuff here on the GMC is so bad I don't even read the topic, let alone download it, and even rarer do I ever actually review the game. So I am only posting this because you have a very nice game here, but it still needs work. Maybe you can give it a little more love after the competition.

#6 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1840 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

@IKSB
Yes, yes, yes, yes :P these are all things I wish I could have fixed before the end of the deadline. After the voting has ended, I'll be sure to revisit this to address each and every issue you brought up. I was planning on adding a trophy case for the collectibles and removing them from the levels, but it just didn't happen before the deadline. I cannot port this to iDevices because it uses external dlls and makes calls to the windows registry for levels.

#7 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

@IKSB
Yes, yes, yes, yes :P these are all things I wish I could have fixed before the end of the deadline. After the voting has ended, I'll be sure to revisit this to address each and every issue you brought up. I was planning on adding a trophy case for the collectibles and removing them from the levels, but it just didn't happen before the deadline. I cannot port this to iDevices because it uses external dlls and makes calls to the windows registry for levels.

It seems many good games suited for iDevices suffer from needing DLLs. :( I wish there was a way around that, because this game would be perfect.

It's good to hear that you have a plan for improving this game! I'll be sure to check it every once in a while.

#8 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

Firstly - I agree with everything IKSB said - but would like to add that as far as I can tell - you can actually loose pieces by putting them back in the bar (even opening the bar destroys all the pieces you have at the top of the screen), I also think you should put the fact that that bar exists in the first place in your help - It took me a while to find it.

Oh, and congrats on winning my award (which is slightly more meaningful than Rusty's awards :P)
Posted Image

#9 Chessmasterriley

Chessmasterriley

Creative Concentrate

• GMC Member
  • 1840 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Brilliant! That is truly an epic spoon. Thank you!

#10 Docopoper

Docopoper

You are observant!

• GMC Member
  • 1287 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Brilliant! That is truly an epic spoon. Thank you!

You can't buy one of those beauties just anywhere. Posted Image

#11 EagleWingz7500

EagleWingz7500

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

How do you make the water?

#12 Mailas

Mailas

Send in the Mail