• 4091 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

Title: Chaos
Category: Platformer

Download (.zip)
Go to GMC Jam post

Featured on IndieGames!

Timmy is a little boy who's got all he could ever wish for, but he is still troubled by something deep within his mind.
Travel into his worst nightmares and rid the chaos that dwell within, and restore tranquility to his world!

In my GMC Jam #6 entry, you play as Timmy, a boy with remarkable running and
wall-jumping abilities (after all, you are inside his dream). Travel through 8 different
stages and gather Tranquility Orbs, lost memories and unlock achievements on the way!

9je5B.pngQCkb2.png
pSgxh.pngXheiq.png

What some reviewers have to say:

"Holy dang! This game is impressive. So much attention to detail." -orange08
"Ah! Finally a good, hardcore platformer." -Snail_Man
"A great action-oriented platform game. The wall jumping mechanic takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, the game becomes outright addicting." -brighteyes
"Great level design, fluid graphics, and an epic final level." -Spydog
"This was one of the few games I came back to and played again, because it was fun." -lukew23

Poem by orange08:
http://gmc.yoyogames...dpost&p=3960154

Edited by Davve, 18 October 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#2 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I went and touched the green orb of tranquility. Then I returned to the door. I pressed all kinds of buttons so I could go through the door but it wouldn't let me.

Please tell me how to go through the door as I'm really liking the game so far :)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#3 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

Please tell me how to go through the door as I'm really liking the game so far :)

I knew I should have made them easier to open :P If it's within the rules I can fix it.
As for now, stand on top of it and face left/right, depending on the orientation of the door.
Posted Image

#4 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Alright, I went through the doors this time, got to the 3rd level. And now... I think I want to stab you repeatedly... some more... and some more... this wall jumping is WAY too hard to do.

Augh... I finally passed that part and found myself faced with something even more difficult. Good game, Davve, but I think you need to ease up on the difficulty. O_O

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png
"I'm just glad Off-topic isn't being removed. Otherwise I risk actually doing something productive." -RoyTheShort

#5 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Alright, I went through the doors this time, got to the 3rd level. And now... I think I want to stab you repeatedly... some more... and some more... this wall jumping is WAY too hard to do.

Are you talking about Stage 3? There's almost no wall-jumping on that one ._.

Edit: I have now updated the game to make it easier to walk through doors, as well as fixed a glitch where the included sounds couldn't play.

Edited by Davve, 01 May 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#6 Jools64

Jools64

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 51 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

This was an awesome game. Great job. I'm pretty shocked at how many levels you got out.

The only minor fault I found was wall jumping is pretty tricky. It would have been nicer
if you didn't have to hold the arrow towards the wall more like in super meat boy.

However as long as you play with a controller it's not too bad.

I managed to make it all the way to the level where the meteorite drops in the background.
That was a really cool effect but the level was so long and that wall jumping bit at the end
with rocks falling down was way to much for me. It was pretty hard to see the rocks too so
that didn't help. :|

But yeah, great game. Although I complain about the last level in general I like the difficulty. :)

For all my other games, art, videos and music go here:

www.epihaumut.com

Games that I've made with Game Maker:

Scythe of the Abyss
Isras Wings
Catastrophic Neutralization Rescue

Really Old Stuff

Also known as "Epihaumut"

Formerly forum member "jrgames+"

#7 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Many thanks for the comment :D. Super Meat Boy was my main inspiration behind this game, so that might have added to the game's difficulty. :P

#8 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:40 AM

why isn't there a health bar? you're forcing the player to beat every level perfectly. that meteor level pissed me off.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#9 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

why isn't there a health bar? you're forcing the player to beat every level perfectly. that meteor level pissed me off.

The meteor level (which I wanted to seem like a "final boss" type of stage) would be a breeze without instant-death, and so would the rest of the game. The levels and the respawn time is also very short, so dying shouldn't be that much of a hassle, but I guess it depends on how patient you are when it comes to games. I'd rather have short stages with instant-death than long ones where you lose health gradually, and when you die you have to do everything all over again.

#10 Furritus

Furritus

Just another Ferret

• GMC Member
  • 287 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

awesome game! one of my favorite jam games

#11 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:41 PM

This really is a great game. Once I got the hang of the wall jumping, it was really fun. :D I gave it 2 awards while voting.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#12 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

I ended up at 4th place, just like last year :turned: Thanks to the people who voted, especially Blake and orange08, who gave 1st place votes!

#13 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2272 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

Chaos, a presence that lies within.
Timmy, to stop it, would do anything.
Leaping from soaring towers,
a game made in 72 hours.

The orb was all he needed,
in order to set things straight,
and set peace throughout his mind,
before it is too late.

Spikes in your path,
his dream's fearful wrath.
Leaping off of a wall,
hoping not to fall.

Never give up hope,
you can make it, little Tim...
even though it feels like the world is closing in.

There is your poem prize.
Let me know if you like it, Davve. :)

Z8vrE7W.png WRhLqHy.png

#14 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

There is your poem prize.
Let me know if you like it, Davve. :)

Haha, love it ::lmao:: Many thanks!

#15 vishusmartishus

vishusmartishus

GMC Member

• 38 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

For a half-hour of game, I had more fun playing this than a half-hour of many commercial games I've paid for. Great job; I especially liked the part at the last level with the comet animation. Lots of polish. If I were you, I'd make a sequel and charge $1.99 for it. If you were me, you'd buy it!

#16 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 390 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Super Meat Boy. World 5: Rapture. Character: Kid. ...Is what thought when I first tried the game =D An awful lot of similarities in gameplay and graphics as well. Still a nice game though. The difficulty was just right for me. I actually missed the "get hit by a meteor" achievement when I first played and got the 1 min achievement on the first try. But I guess having beaten Super Meat Boy helped here =D

The graphics and the text font also remind me of some GBA games I used to play with an emulator.

Edited by Koaske, 04 July 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#17 infinitydoesstuff

infinitydoesstuff

GMC Member

• 1 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

am i the only one who finds level 7 impossible??? '~' please help!!!

#18 slayer 64

slayer 64

Slayer of gingers

• GMC Member
  • 4301 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:08 AM

the graphics and sounds are good but the wall jumping sucks a fatty. i hate playing this.

5y5rs3d.pngfg0UQNL.png

#19 Crateboy

Crateboy

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 249 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

This is fantastic man! The amount of detail for such a small amount of time is outstanding! I couldn't stop killing myself just to see myself explode into my own chunks... lol

The wall jumping seemed easy for me, I was taken by surprise that I could wall jump initially but learning to seemed like a smooth transition. I don't understand the hate? Unless its been updated and I'm late to the party //shrug.

Well done, love the whole vibe. The pixelart was quite nice, I was a bit put off by the main character's sprite, but that's just a personal thing.

Edited by Smiv, 13 August 2013 - 08:25 AM.

#20 Davve

Davve

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 4091 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

I don't understand the hate? Unless its been updated and I'm late to the party //shrug.

Nope, haven't touched this since the Jam. I have some ideas though, like making the controls more non-Super meat boy pro friendly, and adding warnings before you are about to get squashed by meteor pieces.