15 replies to this topic

#1 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

I'll be making a game, and I want it to be compatible with the Mac and the PC... so, a few question:
- If I make a game on the Mac GM then will the source file run on a PC (and be able to be saved as an exe file)? Or are they completely separate (i.e. I'd have to make the game on Mac and then basically remake it on the PC to allow for 2 versions)?
- If the source file is compatible with both, what functions should I avoid using which would cause problems when trying to run it on the PC?
- If I register the Mac GM then does the registration code also cover the PC version, or would I have to pay twice?

Edited by dannyjenn, 30 April 2012 - 10:33 PM.

#2 Archaeaologist

Archaeaologist

GMC Member

• 111 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'll be making a game, and I want it to be compatible with the Mac and the PC... so, a few question:
- If I make a game on the Mac GM then will the source file run on a PC (and be able to be saved as an exe file)? Or are they completely separate (i.e. I'd have to make the game on Mac and then basically remake it on the PC to allow for 2 versions)?
- If the source file is compatible with both, what functions should I avoid using which would cause problems when trying to run it on the PC?
- If I register the Mac GM then does the registration code also cover the PC version, or would I have to pay twice?

I can answer the third question with certainty: yes, you have to pay twice to have both a registered Mac GM and registered Windows GM. The others I'm not as certain with, but I do know that the PC version of GM can run gamemaker files from a Mac. All you'd have to do to have a game run on both would be to send the .gmk file from the Mac GM to the PC GM and publish it there. Of course, the executable might very well run on both Macs and PCs; I've just never tested it.

#3 MasterOfKings

MasterOfKings

The True Master

• GMC Member
  • 4888 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Going from Mac to Windows, I'm not sure (used a Mac only once, and probably never will again).

Going from Windows to Mac, avoid d3d_* functions. After all, DirectX isn't supported on Mac.

However, I'm not sure of the actual difference of the syntax between GM: Windows and GM: Mac.

Edited by MasterOfKings, 01 May 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#4 rwkay

rwkay

YoYo Games CTO

• YoYo Games Staff
  • 2357 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

d3d_* functions work fine on Mac...

The Mac uses OpenGL to implement all the calls - ignore the d3d_ prefix as it is a misnomer it just means that the function is for 3d it does not imply that d3d is the only thing that can implement them.

Russell

#5 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

From the website:

"Note: GameMaker for Mac is version 7 and not compatible with GameMaker 8.1 for Windows."

Does this mean that GM for Mac (the source files) are not compatible with GM8.1 (the program), or that GM for Mac (the program) is not compatible with GM8.1 (files)? From what you guys've said I'm guessing the latter, but that wording is a bit awkward and confusing.

Edited by dannyjenn, 02 May 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#6 Archaeaologist

Archaeaologist

GMC Member

• 111 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

From the website:

"Note: GameMaker for Mac is version 7 and not compatible with GameMaker 8.1 for Windows."

Does this mean that GM for Mac (the source files) are not compatible with GM8.1 (the program), or that GM for Mac (the program) is not compatible with GM8.1 (files)? From what you guys've said I'm guessing the latter, but that wording is a bit awkward and confusing.

It's the latter. I send my GM7 Mac .gmk files to Windows GM8.1 all the time without issue. The issue with compatibility, I believe, is that GM7 can't read GM8 or above files (GM4Mac's been really neglected, you see, but what can one do?).

#7 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

You can still use Lateral GM to convert from GM8.1 files to GM7 files to work on GM for Mac. You can also export GM8.1 files from GMHTML5/GMStudio.

#8 Archaeaologist

Archaeaologist

GMC Member

• 111 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:14 AM

You can still use Lateral GM to convert from GM8.1 files to GM7 files to work on GM for Mac. You can also export GM8.1 files from GMHTML5/GMStudio.

Didn't know about that. That'll come in handy, thank you.

#9 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Don't expect the games to run straight away, there are still a lot of issues with it, but it's a very useful tool when porting to Mac.

#10 Archaeaologist

Archaeaologist

GMC Member

• 111 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Didn't know about that. That'll come in handy, thank you.

Well, it would come in handy if I could get my computer to run JAR files. Wouldn't happen to be an alternative, would there?

#11 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Not that I know of, I'm afraid :(

#12 snuffysam

snuffysam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:57 PM

I'm having a problem with this. I have the Game Maker 7 full version on the Mac, and Lite version on the Windows. When I make a game on the Mac it runs with no problem. The game does not, as far as I know, use any of the non-Lite functions. Because I need to export for both Windows and Mac, I save my .gmk and run over to the Windows computer with a flash drive. When I try to run the game on Windows, it says the save file is corrupted. Any idea why this would happen?

#13 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

GM7 has received a few updates over GM7 for Windows. Perhaps that is causing issues. Try running GM8 lite, and see if that can load the file.

#14 snuffysam

snuffysam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

It works! Thank you so much!
:)

#15 Dangerous_Dave

Dangerous_Dave

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 9413 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

You're welcome. Your issue now is that you can't load the game from GM8 back into GM for Mac.

Here's a tool that can load and save to various versions of GM: https://enigma-dev.s...unk/lgm16b4.jar

Site: http://lateralgm.org/

#16 snuffysam

snuffysam

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

That's not a problem. I use Mac to develop, I just need to release a Windows version as well. I already use LateralGM for when people send me their GM8 files. Thanks anyway!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users