• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzy878

fuzzy878

GMC Member

• 7 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi there, Im looking for some help on the topic of Game Ideas and what i can do with them.

A little fill in, growing up playing Games most of my life got me wanting to be a Game designer as iv always looked at game and thought if they had just changed this little bit it could have helped game. I also have a very active imagination and ideas just jump in to my head, Not all good some need work and work i do on them so i can improve them. Its got to be done right or not at all i always say. Things did not go to plan with many things getting in my way in life and things going wrong, Im now 23 but still have the dream. Looking at the studying side and working my way up to do it my self got me thinking i could be to late. As by the time im done it could be out of date or so my mate says.

Iv been writing about a game iv always wanted to bring to life every since i started to play MMORPGS, So i set to work on what the game should be like and about. I read up on what players want in there MMORPG and what players get sick off and tired of doing all the time. I took what i did not like in MMORPGS and what i did like, I then went to work and started to make notes. Notes turned to pages and now i can find my self trying to sleep but thinking about things to do with the game. Adding in new content as i go along.

SO what i would really like to know is all this just a dream i will never be able to make happen or is there a chance or way to make this happen. Should i try get in to uni and work my way up to see if i can make this happen or should i tuck it away and try to stop thinking about it. tho that will be hard.

I do feel it would be a strong MMORPG not because its my game but because of how its set up. The ideas dont just work for the game i have in mind they can work with many games of that style of play.

thank you for taking the time to read.

Edited by fuzzy878, 04 May 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#2 slayer 64

slayer 64

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 3825 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

what are you're fantastic mmorpg games ideas?

#3 Angry Bread

Angry Bread

GMC Member

• 98 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Well, first off, I respect your strategy of finding out what makes a game good and what gamers would like to see, and what they hate about games. This is a very good method to create a successful game.
Unfortunately, you are being over ambitious with your idea of creating an MMORPG. My advice would be to create a single player game, maybe an RPG? But use the same method you did for the MMORPG. That way, you will actually create and finish a game that people will enjoy (if you get the right information) instead of dreaming of making the next new MMORPG, which is incredibly unrealistic, even for someone like me who has been using GM for many years.

#4 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts
  • Version:Mac

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, MMORPGs are probably the most difficult games to make (especially if it's a 3D MMORPG).
You not only need game-making experience (which you don't seem to have), you also need experience with servers and the advanced game-making experience required to incorporate the server into the game itself (which always requires some sort of DLL... you could use a pre-existing one or make your own but to make your own you'll have to learn some other language because thay can't be made in GML). And you need to be able to optimize the code and resources, since lag is a big issue with MMORPGs.
Not to mention they are difficult to test, as you really need multiple computers, preferably with different amounts of RAM, different processors, different versions of the OS, and maybe even different internet connections (in order to simulate what a player with a different computer might end up experiencing).
In addition, it takes money to run an MMORPG. You can either make people pay to play (however, this will be very difficult before your game has an established fan base) or you could make money through advertising (which players typically don't like because its annoying)... but the point is you're going to need a ton of money somehow to even run such a game, keeping the server / servers up to date and paying for bandwidth and all that, etc.

What you could try before attempting it is just a normal single-player RPG and like Angry Bread said, incorporate as many ideas for your MMORPG into the RPG as possible. That way you'll see how well everything turns out for if you ever do make the MMORPG (you'll know what needs to be changed, etc.)

Edited by dannyjenn, 03 May 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#5 fuzzy878

fuzzy878

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi there sorry iv not been on for a few days been a bit busy. First i would like to say thanks for the comments.

I can understand that MMORPGs are the most diffcult games out there to make, Since there so big and take alot of work.

The good thing about that is i thought about that one as well, I new at the start there would be no way i could get an MMORPG out or even thought of it unless i had tons of money,(that i dont) So i thought perhaps if i started small i could perhaps work up, Going along the lines of just an RPG on a small base scale.

Going single player would mean i need change up alot but i think i can make most of the ideas work in single, would not be a cool as multi or could it be, that is a challange and i like a good challange.

Im not to sure how to take the comment you posted slayer 64, If you where trying to be funny or not. If not then im sorry and would be happy to post up some of my ideas i feel would sort alot of problems ingame. I have spoken to a few of my mates about them who play MMORPGS and they have really liked them.

I have to say tho you are right dannyjenn i dont much on game making that why i thought i would ask and see what can of feed back i would get.

Edited by fuzzy878, 03 May 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#6 chance

chance

GMC Member

• Global Moderators
  • 7174 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

SO what i would really like to know is all this just a dream i will never be able to make happen or is there a chance or way to make this happen. Should i try get in to uni and work my way up to see if i can make this happen or should i tuck it away and try to stop thinking about it.

If you have an opportunity to attend university/college, then TAKE IT. You're foolish if you don't.

In the meantime, we're eager to hear about your actual ideas for the game. This is a design forum, after all. :wink: Whether it's a MMORPG, or a single-player RPG, doesn't really matter much.

#7 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

If you have an opportunity to attend university/college, then TAKE IT. You're foolish if you don't.

I disagree... college / university is a complete waste of time and money if you're not going there for a degree. However, if you are going for a degree (specifically a degree in the game field) then go for it... as it really is nearly impossible to get a job in the gaming field without a degree these days (unless you start your own company or know someone who runs a company)
But personally I find everything that is learned in class to be pretty pointless... nearly all of it can be learned on your own simply by reading about it on the internet, books, and just experimenting. Well, everything except getting started... I have to admit, sometimes just getting started is the hardest part (like, knowing the correct software to install, or learning the very basics of a programming language... you can learn on your own but learning in class is usually faster)

#8 fuzzy878

fuzzy878

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

I do think uni perhaps might be out of the way for me. I was able to do it back when i was 17 but when my mum ended up in a wheel chair things changed for me and my mum comes first :). I have looked in to doing it from home but just did not have the money to pay for it, So untill a few things change iv just got me to work with.

I will now get to the part use want to know about :).

I will go over the MMORPG first as it was my main idea in the first place and iv still not got it all down to single player, iv had thought of how to do it tho.

The game is fantasy based as i feel its one of the best to work with as you can do so much with it.

I wont go in to full details unless use would like to see them, If use do i will be happy to post them up for you. I will run over the game and what you will do in the game.

The Game

The game title is called Heaven Vs Hell.

When you log in to the game to start you will find a screen with a list of 10 races/styles to pick from.( style is for example you have elfs, Then you have Road elfs)

Once you happy with your race you will get to pick your class, Each class will have a variety of roles to play.(every race can play every class)

When you enter the world to start your journey, You will start in your own race area.

Leveling Up

From level 1 - 30 this world will be your home and this is where you will find many strange creatures and where you will face the task of Good or Evil.

The player will have a morale meter, As the quest will have a good,bad or neutral out come to them. Going down one route you will start to hear voices now and then, depending on the path you go down will determine what you hear.

You will find out before you leave your city that the world out side has changed. Many of the people/creatures out side of the city have changed because of the war over good and evil, The planet that was once full of life and beauty is now falling apart as the Masters control there puppets.

On this world many of my ideas take place, One i liked i saw playing rift. I did not want to just copy it so i tried to do it in my own way.

Clan Wars

In this world there are many clans who are land hunrgy or perhaps just want to kill everyone or make peace with you. The clans will be NPC controled and depending on how you do some of the quest will depend on how a clan will act with you. Keep in mind some of the clans will never like you but would be happy to lead you on in to a trap.

Some clans will expand there land, Some will attack your citys to loot, Some will hunt people down for food and many other things :). I want people who play to feel unsafe out side the walls of there city, trying to be carefull on what they do and how the pick there next move.

Players are able to put a stop to many of the above things by stepping in, but it wont stop it forever. Your city will also set times and days to send out raids and you will be able to join there ranks and help push back a clan.

All quest that are clan quest will be marked in a clear way that its for a Clan quest line. So players dont just do random things on it and go oh crap later on.

An example of what a clan would do. The dark forest of the east is home to the strange dog like creatures, That can run fast on all fours or stand up tall like a humen would. These things will attack anyone on site most of the time killing them but sometimes dragging there victim back with them. They also seem to grow in numbers fast and it seems on a full moon they raid the citys to the east, Some times pushing north and west but stay away from the south.

That is one of my ideas. On how to make leveling a bit more fun and how to really have the computer interact with the player.

Along with the above there will be quest lines and lots of story filling you in on everything about what happend with the planet and what can be done to perhaps change it back or help another in need. I want to stay away from crap quest like go get 9 pig feet then go get 9 pig tails. So i want each quest to have a good meaning to it. I dont want to see a player go well what was the point of that. Each quest should bring some things new to what the player wants to know.

I would also just like to point out that yes this place will be big, as when you it level 30 you wont be there no more.(or can you perhaps return?)

Take On Your True Form

At level 30 is where you pick you fate, Do you join evil and take on the true form of evil or do you turn good and take on its true form.

Once you pick you will be killed and taken to Heaven or Hell to learn how this new power works. You will only be here for 10 levels and then you will be reborn on a new world to do 1 of 2 things. Remove the evil or Remove the good.

This world is going to be a big one as well, This part i dont have much detail on as its still in the works. I do wish to bring the clan stuff in to here as well, also a few new pop ups :).

I do know how every how i would like it to go. The level cap is going to be 50 or 60. My plan is to have players hit the level cap before there even half way in to this world.

This is where endgame comes in to play and this is the one i had most trouble with.

I found there is 3 main types of players who play MMORPGS. You got the mad love PVP people followed by the mad love PVE people, then you got the casual players. So i had to make endgame for all 3, not to easy to do if you want it to be long lasting and not short.

I dont want players to be in the last zone as they get there last level. I want it so players who dont want to jump right in to raids or pvp have many things to do. There is many places in the world to be found, opened and worked on. Zones that will bring new events to the game and help keep content feeling new. As i said not still working on most of this stuff :).

Now im going to go over a few bits to how dungeons, raids and pvp will work in the game.

Dungeons

Dungeons in many MMORPG's i and many others i found feel are about right, The problem i found was farming for that 1 bit of gear, Gear is an other topic tho. So i would like to keep them the same, have quest in them so you get the story to why the dungeons is here.

Raids

Same with dungeons, Raids in games are so much fun its why PVE's do them and spend time working them out and kicking some butt in them. I want to keep them along the lines of crazy boss fights and epic raids.

The changes i have made are the difficulty's of the raids. I also want the focuse of gear to change in raids as its something that is cool but also kills the game. I wanted raids to have a bigger meaning, You spend weeks to kill a boss and get this bit gear you wanted just for a new raid to come out and you have to say good by to that bit of gear. So raids are going to be set up in a more
competitive way. This will be done by points, Then on an other tab there will be one for time it took to kill and will rank them in order of best. Below are a list's of difficulty's that the raid leader can pick from.

Casual

Casual raiding is for players who just want to see the content and perhaps have some competitve play with other casual guilds out there, The boss fights will not be to hard for the players and tatics wont be crazy. The point system for casual will be 100 and below. So if a guild gets realms first kill they will be given 100 pts, second will get 90. 3rd 80, 4th 70 and so on till it gets to 0 points. Times will also be set on the casual tab to keep the times away from the other difficulty's

Expert

Expert raids take it up a level, Players have to move and keep there heads on them. Make sure they look around the room for clue's on how to fight this boss. If they make mistakes, they will need to learn from them fast or they will not get past the fight. 100% team work will be needed. Getting a realms first on this setting will reward you with 1000 points, getting 2nd would be 900, 3rd 800 down to 100. Times will also be set and on the expert only tab

Master

This is the raids i think the hardcore pve players would love. The fights will have alot to them, alot to keep in mind and remember, Players must keep times right and not make a single mistake. The battles will be hard but the rewards will be sweet. This difficulty does not have a point system. It will work as a crown icon. gold, silver and bronze with runner ups. Times will be set for this on the master tab.

I would like to add all raids DO have gear and that everyone who kills a boss will set there guild name down for how many people did it before them. SO even if a 100 guilds killed it before you will still be on the ranking list.

The next part i would like to bring in to play is gear. Gear can be a pain in many ways. You get something you like you got to change it because you found 1 with better stats on it, Some games have sort of fixed this but not done it fully. As there is still the hole problem of i spend 8 weeks getting that set and doing all the enchants and gems on it and now i need to go change it OMG. Well thats what i found alot. As a high end raider back in wow i did not feel the same way untill a few years in to doing it my self. I then started to see the point, but i loved raiding and i always wanted the best gear. So i had a think and came up with the following

Gear

Gear in the game will have 0 stats. When you get a bit gear your now just looking at it for looks, I think this is how it should be :)

Now here is the fun part, Gear with 0 stats sucks abit. So i thought of a way to add it in by useing a sort of profession, This one levels up with you and in away helps you pick the right things for your role.

Lets say for being quick we call it Gear stats, Now gear stats will be what you use to put the stats on the gear. It will be set out in away to understand so you dont get lost. As you level up the stats get better and all you do is change them around. This removes the hole sell by date from gear hehe.

I know if you want to do harder raids you need better stats so this is where we bring tiar levels in to it. Tiar 1 is for dungeons and Casual raids, Tiar 2 stats is for expert and tiar 3 is for master.
The stats will improve your gear a bit each tiar you go up. Each tiar will have to be unlocked. Tiar 1 is easy to unlock just have to enter a endgame level dungeon and get to the end, Tiar 2 stats unlock once you take down the first boss in the expert raid. Tiar 3 opens once you take down all the expert bosses.

Im going to do an example of the gear im talking about.

Old gear from other games tend to look like this

Gloves Cloth
Armor 100
11 int
12 stam
equip plus 5 spell crit.

New gear will look like this

Gloves Cloth
Armor 100

You will then open up gear stats and click on your gloves. You will get a drop down that has

Stat 1
Stat 2
Equip Stat

You will then apply the stats you would like for the item. This way all gear will always be up todate.

Profession

For this i like the hole idea of you can learn each profession in the game. To make profession's unique in there own way i would add in a Master tier.

For example.

Take blacksmithing, You max it out and have what everyone else has, You can then pick a set item to be skilled in making. Opening up new and unique items to you.

So you want to master sheilds. If you do this you will be able to make the best sheilds in the game.

This will be the same for every profession but you are only able to master 1 and 1 unique skill line.

PvP

The pvp side of the game will be like most other mmorpgs going. There is not much on that side to be changed. I did think how you could have some battlegrounds that attack random players if they end up in the wrong spot. I also thought of pvp/pve mix for some battle grounds as well.

The pvp is in the works but not a big deal at the mo as if i can work on this game it will be single player for now.

I also thought it would be cool to add Guild houses in to the game, Place where you can add games,banks and others bits and bobs in to as you level it up and build on it.

One Main Thing I Did Not Talk About

As you may have worked out when you hit level 30 and pick your true form you will become a demon or an angle. Untill you move on to the next world you will learn the powers you have and how to control them. This will also grant you the power to fly.

What i want to do with the flying is make it scale with level. The higher the level you are the faster you can fly and the higher you can fly. Makes more sence really the stronger you are the faster you move your wings. There will be no limite, build up's or anything for flying. You can fly for as long as you like. Tho you can only fly in your true form.

Once you leave the world your on you will be told you can not show your true form on this new world just yet, You can only use your voice to influence the people until events happen in the game that say other wise. The rules apply in only some ares like citys, This also means you can change form.

Im not a 100% sure if i want the wings to be just for flying or if there would be a way to use them in combat.

For example.

A tank would have solid steal over his wings and could use them as a move to block.

A fire mage could have fire red to cast stronger fire spells.

Sort of along them lines. Im nots sure on it tho.

Edited by fuzzy878, 08 May 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#9 dannyjenn

dannyjenn

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 2736 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Some of that is pretty good... I don't really understand the 0-stat gear though. Are you saying it's purely for looks, or that you do get a stat boost (but depending on your class, so it has different effects on different people), or do you mean it will increase your stats by a certain percentage (not by any set amount)?

Some suggesions:
- Make a story. I don't know if there's a story or not, but from the way you've described it there will be lots of story elements but you don't seem to have a definitive story (unless you just didn't mention what it is). Stories are way more important in single-player games than MMORPGs... while an MMORPG should have a story, it can still get away without one or a weak one. A single-player RPG without a story is usually horrible.
- "At level 30 is where you pick you fate, Do you join evil and take on the true form of evil or do you turn good and take on its true form."
Don't let the player choose. Have it determined by his previous actions. You've mentioned a "moral meter" (different quests are either good, evil, or neutral). This would be the perfect time to make use of it.
- Ditch the PVP (not sure if you're just mentioning it as part of your MMORPG, or if you're considering it in a single player game). While it is possible to have in a single player game (for example, Pokémon)... it really is not needed. And adds complications to the coding if you have no multiplayer programming experience.

#10 fuzzy878

fuzzy878

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

Some of that is pretty good... I don't really understand the 0-stat gear though. Are you saying it's purely for looks, or that you do get a stat boost (but depending on your class, so it has different effects on different people), or do you mean it will increase your stats by a certain percentage (not by any set amount)?

Some suggesions:
- Make a story. I don't know if there's a story or not, but from the way you've described it there will be lots of story elements but you don't seem to have a definitive story (unless you just didn't mention what it is). Stories are way more important in single-player games than MMORPGs... while an MMORPG should have a story, it can still get away without one or a weak one. A single-player RPG without a story is usually horrible.
- "At level 30 is where you pick you fate, Do you join evil and take on the true form of evil or do you turn good and take on its true form."
Don't let the player choose. Have it determined by his previous actions. You've mentioned a "moral meter" (different quests are either good, evil, or neutral). This would be the perfect time to make use of it.
- Ditch the PVP (not sure if you're just mentioning it as part of your MMORPG, or if you're considering it in a single player game). While it is possible to have in a single player game (for example, Pokémon)... it really is not needed. And adds complications to the coding if you have no multiplayer programming experience.

Hey

I will be doing more of my post after work today, but saw your post so had to stick up a reply :)

The way the gear will work is it has no base stats its just 100% for looks. You then use the gear stats profession to put stats on to your gear.

So for example your class is mage and your spec is blood. Stat gear will have a set list of the stats you can put on each bit of gear for that spec. This way new players do not get lost. Once you unlock the tier 2 stats you will have more stats to play with and be able to really work with spells trying out stats seeing what you can find is best. Hope that helps a bit very sleepy at the moment.

There is a story to the game that i have been working on. My spelling has never been the best so its taking a while. I have the ideas and the out line of the story i want to run in the game.

I dont want to make a player have to go a path for the mistakes they made in there life, I feel everyone should have the chance to redeem them selfs or turn. The main thing i want with the moral meter is for the customize side of the game, Players will start to change in looks. The more evil they are the more evil they look, the nicer they are the better they look. With this in mind i wanted it to be to what the player would like to see.

the level 30 part as i said is where you take on your true form, a demon or angel. I will get more in to that on my main post :)

Also yes the pvp side is just for the MMORPG but thought best to put it in.

Oh i can start doing post's of the storys i have that i dont mind, i find a game should have a great story line to it, Im a big book reader so i think that helps with telling storys. I was just not sure if i should post up the storys to the game just now as talking about the over all layout of the game took me 2 hours to type on here and it was a long post. Plus still not done yet. I did not want to spend ages typing it all out to find people hate it, Im glad you like some of it and i hope my post will clear up a few things.

#11 fuzzy878

fuzzy878

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

Ok thats that fully done now, If you would like to know more then plz post away and ask away.

Also i can sort of tell how to make this in to a single player game.

What i would like to know is where would be the best place for me to start.

#12 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 7661 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

A single player console jRPG with a very mild degree of customization and more emphasis on storytelling.

Starting there might even be too much if you're completely new to Game Maker, so I'd tell you to do the tutorials, and then try out some half-finished engine (such as the SisEngine in my signature) to get a hang on how you should handle the massive amount of data a RPG character needs. Also start playing around with some DLL for netplaying, make a online pong/chatroom utility or something to get a hang on how to IP stuff for multiple players.

Once you've done that, try making a 2D MMORPG and start experimenting with 3D. Then try to make a 3D MMOFPS game (no quests, no trade, no massive maths data, but gameplay and pvp interaction) and after that start working on your masterpiece 3DMMORPG.

#13 fuzzy878

fuzzy878

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

A single player console jRPG with a very mild degree of customization and more emphasis on storytelling.

Starting there might even be too much if you're completely new to Game Maker, so I'd tell you to do the tutorials, and then try out some half-finished engine (such as the SisEngine in my signature) to get a hang on how you should handle the massive amount of data a RPG character needs. Also start playing around with some DLL for netplaying, make a online pong/chatroom utility or something to get a hang on how to IP stuff for multiple players.

Once you've done that, try making a 2D MMORPG and start experimenting with 3D. Then try to make a 3D MMOFPS game (no quests, no trade, no massive maths data, but gameplay and pvp interaction) and after that start working on your masterpiece 3DMMORPG.

thanks for the reply.

I will start looking over the tutorials and see what i can work out. I was unable to see the link in your signature, but as i type this i think it was because i was not logged in.

i did have a think about turning it in to a small RPG.

I thought of starting from the begining, The story from this would show how and why worlds are being destroyed. It would then lead up where the main game starts.

I thought it would be good as i can make it small and focuse on the story of the char's that are in the game. Getting the players to fall in love with some, hate others and just giggle at some.

#14 Orbitguy

Orbitguy

UNS Lead Guy

• GMC Member
  • 348 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

If you need any help with the multiplayer aspect, I have some experience with 39dll so feel free to hit me up about it whenever you are ready and I can provide information and links to some good examples.

My main dream when I started game maker was to make an online game, and I have gone straight towards that goal, I made one arcade game with D&D and then jumped straight into multiplayer coding just messing around with the code until I understood it. That said, I only make 2D games, so I can't give you much advice on the 3D part, but the online would mostly be the same concepts.

I'm just saying, you can learn whatever you want to learn in whatever order, you just have to really want to do it. If the multiplayer part is a big aspect of the game, I would start with an online game engine as a base first, rather than making a bunch of single player games, because that code is vital to understand. That said, if you don't have much game maker experience, the single player stuff will also be of good use to you.

#15 fuzzy878

fuzzy878

GMC Member

• 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

If you need any help with the multiplayer aspect, I have some experience with 39dll so feel free to hit me up about it whenever you are ready and I can provide information and links to some good examples.

My main dream when I started game maker was to make an online game, and I have gone straight towards that goal, I made one arcade game with D&D and then jumped straight into multiplayer coding just messing around with the code until I understood it. That said, I only make 2D games, so I can't give you much advice on the 3D part, but the online would mostly be the same concepts.

I'm just saying, you can learn whatever you want to learn in whatever order, you just have to really want to do it. If the multiplayer part is a big aspect of the game, I would start with an online game engine as a base first, rather than making a bunch of single player games, because that code is vital to understand. That said, if you don't have much game maker experience, the single player stuff will also be of good use to you.

thanks for the reply and thanks for the offer to help :).

Iv got the hole day tomz to play with so im going to get stuck in to a few things on here and see how my brain will take it. i know i have 0 game maker experience, So i know its going to be hard.

I have been thinking if im unable to start a small game up because i have no clue how to do it, then perhaps i can use what i do know and turn it in to a game book. I used to read them alot when i was younger but dont see them much now adays. Perhaps i could work since its a big story based game.

Maybe im thinking to much on it but iv always been told follow your dreams and if you really want it you can make it happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users