93 replies to this topic

#1 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Well, here we are. Fourth Jam entry, third game I’ve started by myself, around one year since I started using GM... Yeah, it’s pretty cool.

I'd like to offer a HUGE thanks to everyone who tried my game, left feedback, voted for me, or even just took the time to skim through the topic to see what this was all about! Without you guys, this game wouldn't be as good as it's going to be (right after the update lol).

What is this I don’t even…
It’s a puzzle-platformer in origami world, where you can fold the level to get past obstacles and stuff. Trust me, it’s way cooler when you’re actually playing the game.

Suggestions, gameplay ideas, content ideas, and stuff like that is always welcome!
And the old promise still stands: You try my game, I'll try yours. Just tell me what it's called (so I don't accidentally resurrect a dead topic or something) and I'll give it a whirl.

Screenshots: Marvel at the complete stylistic difference from everything else I’ve ever posted here!

Posted Image Posted Image

--> DOWNLOAD V.0.5 HERE! <--
Devblog / Jam post - Original Jam version
File size: 3.2 MB

VERSION INFO (please at least skim through this before commenting. Thanks)

So yeah, it shouldn't have taken this long, but I managed to add a little bit nearly every day. 15 minutes here, half an hour there... it adds up eventually. :)

New in v.0.5!
- MORE LEVELS AND PUZZLES! The levels that currently exist constitute the tutorial. I had a LOT of levels and stuff planned out on paper, but since I had a lot of other stuff to do this weekend, this ended up being more of a way-less-than-48-hour project than a 72-hour one, and I didn't quite get the opportunity to add it all in. There are some levels with actual puzzle elements thrown in, so keep an eye out for that.
- Being able to unfold horizontal creases (gotta get the vertical platform movement working first)
- Better graphics... they're definitely better graphics.
- Tweaking the movement a bit, especially getting rid of the half-implemented walljump that I forgot about before the Jam ended, which is wreaking havoc with the collisions
- Enemies
- A level select screen

Coming up next:
- Mountain and valley folds
- More features as the game goes on, like switches, pushable blocks, etc. (would this be a good idea, or would it get too cluttered?)
- What you saw at the end of v.0.5

What I'd like feedback on:
- The difficulty curve. I know some of the levels aren't in order of increasing difficulty at the moment, but what I'd like to know is what you thought of the current content. Is it too easy and repetitive? Just right? That sort of thing.
- Whether the new version of folding is self-explanatory enough (it's at the bottom of page 3)
- Should I keep the achievements? They were only there to fulfill the Jam 6 handicap.

Known bugs
- Sometimes when you try to fold one part, everything folds at once. This is left over from that time when having more than one fold in a level didn’t work at all. Just hit R to restart and you should be fine.
- When you go between levels, you should continue moving when you hold the key down, but occasionally you don’t. I have no idea why that happens, but since it’s a minor thing, I won’t look into it unless I have time.
- I know the click-and-drag game mechanic might feel kinda weird at times, but programming this thing was insane. It was the only thing I could come up within the time frame that both worked and felt (somewhat) natural.
- You have to click the dot on TOP to unfold stuff (no idea why... it was a direct cut and paste)
- Sometimes things will misalign by 3 or 4 pixels
- Spikes + folding = wtf?
- THIS IS NOT A GLITCH: if you're standing between the two dots, unfolding won't work. This is so you don't get stuck inside the wall.

So… what’s this got to do with the theme?
The word Tranquility gave me a LOT of ideas, but the one train of thought that really clicked was Tranquility --> Doing something calm --> Origami --> A puzzle game where you fold stuff to get to the end of the level
(It’s definitely a LOT better than Jam 3’s Colour My World, where Live turned into Liveliness and then Colour somehow lol.)

Posted Image
^ That came outta nowhere

ALL THE JAM 6 REVIEWS
Spoiler

Shameless Plug: My other games
What The @#&% ?! (first game)
Colour My World (Jam 3 6th place)
Sophia's Spirits (Jam 4 2nd place!)
Julius Dragonslayer (Jam 5 25th place)

Credits
Paper textures from Google
Music from Chrono Trigger
Ideas, graphics, programming, and everything else by me

Enjoy the game, and please leave a comment or two!

TheUltimate

Edited by TheUltimate, 03 June 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#2 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

Changelog/devblog/whatever you want to call it:
(sorry if this isn't allowed. I just don't want to have too many things in the first post)
Spoiler

Edited by TheUltimate, 29 April 2012 - 04:04 AM.

#3 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

I like how it is but the left and right movements are a little shaky when there is a wall collision. :)

#4 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:10 AM

Heh, yeah, someone else already mentioned the collisions to me. I'll try to figure it out if I have time. Right now, I'm concentrating on making enough levels to qualify as a game, then after that I'm replacing the placeholder graphics.
Thanks for taking the time to try it. :)

BTW: Version 0.2 is up!

#5 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

I love on how when you die you turn into a crumpled up piece of paper!Posted Image
also I can see this game is not going to make the top ten unless the game graphics and coding improve! :P
lol! I died! and the end of the level! :(

#6 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hey - really liked the game so far! It needs more levels, but clearly you'll add them soon.

> I like the concept.
> The graphics are pretty good, considering you said they were placeholders. You could always add a 'random room colour' for each 'level' if you wanted quick variety.
> The folding system works pretty well, but it would be nice if there were an option with each fold. For instance, if there are two 'fold locations' you should be able to choose left-right OR right-left; this would mean more planning was required on a level. (I understand this may be difficult to implement)
> New levels which are more puzzle-based would be good.
> Perhaps you could add (if you have time - far later on) water and/or fire? Water could soak the paper (or you) and make you heavy / slow / unable to walk / crumpled. Fire could burn you or the environment.
> Scissors may also be a good addition?

I've just put a lot of suggestions and clearly you won't want all of them in the time limit, but I hope you found some helpful.
In terms of a name... Corrugation? Not too sure, sorry.

Thanks - good luck!
JUN

#7 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

"Hey - really liked the game so far! It needs more levels, but clearly you'll add them soon.
Thanks! I'm working on more levels as I'm typing this.

> The graphics are pretty good, considering you said they were placeholders. You could always add a 'random room colour' for each 'level' if you wanted quick variety.
They are? Compared to what I'd like it to look like, it's kind of bland. I'm going to keep the colour scheme the same, though, since there's going to be another area after 5 or 10 levels.

> For instance, if there are two 'fold locations' you should be able to choose left-right OR right-left
I added that today, but I just haven't uploaded it yet.

> New levels which are more puzzle-based would be good.
Yep. That's next. I might have to make the view size a little bigger in order to do that, though.

> Perhaps you could add (if you have time - far later on) water and/or fire? Water could soak the paper (or you) and make you heavy / slow / unable to walk / crumpled. Fire could burn you or the environment. Scissors may also be a good addition?
Fire and water is a REALLY good idea! I'll experiment with that if time permits.

In terms of a name... Corrugation?
That might work. I'll see what else pops up before finalizing the name.

ONE LAST THING: I started making graphics for the main character, but to me, it looks really generic and kind of sucks. Any suggestions?
Posted Image
(obviously I'm going to add shading and detail, but this is the general idea so far)

#8 Follomania

Follomania

Unum Mirabile

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

You have a really interesting concept here! All my suggestions have already been stated by earlier posters, so sadly I can't offer anything helpful in that regard.
I think when this gets completed, though, it's going to be a pretty fun game. Good work!

Also, I'm not sure how you're doing your movement, but the same shaking usually occurs in my games when I don't check to see if (x+acceleration, y) is empty before I accelerate my hspeed. Not sure if that's the problem, but it might save you some time if it is.
Spoiler

#9 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

I see your change log is untouched so that means you're making a big update or you've been lazying off or just having lot's of trouble.
lol!
this is what it would look like if it was interpreted into code!
if(update = 0)
{
     	if(update large = 1)
     	{
     	show_message("I'm so happy!")
     	}
     	else if(lazy = 1)
     	{
     	show_message("ARE YOU NUTZ?!")
     	}
     	else if(trouble >= 1)
      	{
      	show_message("hope you figure them out!")
      	}
}
please tell us if there are anymore updates!

#10 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:18 AM

"I think when this gets completed, though, it's going to be a pretty fun game. Good work!"
Thanks! You have no idea how glad I am to see that others like the concept. :)

"Also, I'm not sure how you're doing your movement..."
I've already solved that, but thanks anyway. It ended up being something slightly different: I forgot to put "if abs(hspeed)<0.5 {sprite_index=s_stand)" in my code, so if you stand against a wall and move right, for example, it registers that you're moving right AND that you're standing still.

"Please tell us if there are anymore updates!"
Lol, don't worry, anyone who knows me well knows that I never give up on things. I've had some other stuff to do this weekend so I haven't been working on this 24/7, but I'll definitely update it, maybe even tonight if things go well. When it goes to v.0.3, that's when there's some new content, so be sure to come back then.

Edit: Also, if anyone wants to make levels so I have enough of them, feel free to shoot me a PM or post them here! Even if your level doesn't make it into the game, I'd still be more than glad to put you in the credits.

Edited by TheUltimate, 30 April 2012 - 04:21 AM.

#11 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

"I think when this gets completed, though, it's going to be a pretty fun game. Good work!"
Thanks! You have no idea how glad I am to see that others like the concept. :)

"Also, I'm not sure how you're doing your movement..."
I've already solved that, but thanks anyway. It ended up being something slightly different: I forgot to put "if abs(hspeed)<0.5 {sprite_index=s_stand)" in my code, so if you stand against a wall and move right, for example, it registers that you're moving right AND that you're standing still.

"Please tell us if there are anymore updates!"
Lol, don't worry, anyone who knows me well knows that I never give up on things. I've had some other stuff to do this weekend so I haven't been working on this 24/7, but I'll definitely update it, maybe even tonight if things go well. When it goes to v.0.3, that's when there's some new content, so be sure to come back then.

Edit: Also, if anyone wants to make levels so I have enough of them, feel free to shoot me a PM or post them here! Even if your level doesn't make it into the game, I'd still be more than glad to put you in the credits.

I understand...
Hope your game mekes it to the top 20 at least!(mostly hoping less)
I'm glad you fixed the movements!Posted Image

#12 imonster

imonster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

The game is fun.. keep up the good work.
and finish it as fast as you can.

#13 imonster

imonster

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 22 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Love the new graphics :D although the origami sounds seems to have been deleted?

#14 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Love the new graphics :D although the origami sounds seems to have been deleted?

Thanks. Glad you like it. :)
Btw I just tried the and the sounds all seem to be there. Are you sure it's not just really quiet on your computer or something?

Edit: What did you think of the level design? Too easy, too hard, just right?

Edited by TheUltimate, 30 April 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#15 Follomania

Follomania

Unum Mirabile

• GMC Member
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

It's getting a lot better! The difficulty is just right for the beginning levels. I'd suggested increasing the difficulty more in the upcoming levels. I was able to get through all the levels quite quickly without dying.
I think you should add some more bad folds. Right now, if you see two folding clickers, you can assume you need to fold there. If you add some that will ruin the chance of winning if they're folded, that will increase the puzzle factor.

#16 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

Thanks again Follomania. :)
I have a bunch of harder levels done, but unfortunately the REALLY hard ones I had on paper are gonna have to wait till after voting because I can't get the vertical unfolding to work properly. I bet it's something really simple I'm missing about moving platforms, cause when you unfold it, it teleports the player off the screen.
But hey, I'm still quite satisfied with what I have. I didn't know if this concept was even possible when I started making it, but as it turns out, it works pretty well. :D

#17 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

Thanks again Follomania. :)
I have a bunch of harder levels done, but unfortunately the REALLY hard ones I had on paper are gonna have to wait till after voting because I can't get the vertical unfolding to work properly. I bet it's something really simple I'm missing about moving platforms, cause when you unfold it, it teleports the player off the screen.
But hey, I'm still quite satisfied with what I have. I didn't know if this concept was even possible when I started making it, but as it turns out, it works pretty well. :D

lol!
I love it!
already making it my vote!Posted Image
I love the origami concept!Posted Image
also hope you posted your problem!(even though you might not make it to solution) Posted Image

#18 wakeskater_X

wakeskater_X

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

NICE but i got an error:

ERROR in
action number 1
of Mouse Event for Right Pressed
for object o_dot_bottom:

Error in code at line 4:
if o_player.y>y+75 || o_player.y<asdf.y-31
^
at position 40: Unknown variable y

at this location:
Posted Image

:( I got it twice clicking on stuff

#19 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

Lol yeah, I found it RIGHT after I posted it. I put a fixed version up, so feel free to redownload it again. It should work this time. :)
Thanks for trying my game!

#20 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

pic:
Posted Image
yeah I unfolded the fold in the second level and started to move back that I teleported straight to that spot!

#21 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

already making it my vote!

Really? Thanks. :) The voting topic's here by the way.

I'm also going to go and fix all those little things in the game that I didn't get around to doing. As you can imagine, I was kind of rushed from the start, having made everything from scratch and stuff like that. I plan to have an update as soon as voting is over. EVERYTHING will be improved. :D

Edited by TheUltimate, 02 May 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#22 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

lol!
now I have to find my third game to vote on! :P
I hope the update comes out great! :D

#23 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

I tried the demo and overall I'm actually impressed. It is a real fresh take on side scrolling platformers. And it plays pretty well. A few graphic glitches here and there and the character feels out of place in the world. But overall I enjoyed it.

I give this game a Origami Dragon award for freshness :tongue:

#24 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

I tried the demo and overall I'm actually impressed. It is a real fresh take on side scrolling platformers. And it plays pretty well. A few graphic glitches here and there and the character feels out of place in the world. But overall I enjoyed it.

Glad you liked it.
It seems to be a common theme with a lot of the reviews, with the whole "interesting concept/original gameplay idea" thing. Seeing this has seriously made my week. :D

#25 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

is there going to be an update?
big or small?
I like it!
but I need more gameplay!

#26 Daddio

Daddio

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

Bravo! Totally worth playing!

I found the platforming elements (running and jumping) to be annoying, like I got stuck right near the start trying to jump a small gap with an overhang. However, the game concept and overall gameplay made me really want to get past minor annoyances and continue.

Very creative. Very clever. More please!

#27 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Bravo! Totally worth playing!

I found the platforming elements (running and jumping) to be annoying, like I got stuck right near the start trying to jump a small gap with an overhang. However, the game concept and overall gameplay made me really want to get past minor annoyances and continue.

Very creative. Very clever. More please!

Thanks so much! Glad you like it! I'm aware that the platforming's not perfect, and it's already fixed for the next update. :)
(By the way, if you liked my game, consider voting for it here! Check out some other games while you're at it too!)

is there going to be an update?

Of course there is. :) Here's a screenshot of just one of many things I've changed. I got an autotiling system working too, so making levels will be a lot easier, not to mention prettier.

Posted Image

#28 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

Next version looks awesome!
This game's getting my vote, but I need to find others to vote for too (as it said I need a top 3).

#29 creators124

creators124

awesomeliciousmember

• GMC Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

"How on earth do I have 100 downloads already???"

well obviously yours is one of the best games I looked at.
and isn't it obvious that your game looks like an online game at the most?Posted Image

#30 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

Next version looks awesome!
This game's getting my vote, but I need to find others to vote for too (as it said I need a top 3).

Seriously? Whoa. That's awesome. If you can, I recommend downloading the zip file. It's the easiest way to try the games.

and isn't it obvious that your game looks like an online game at the most?

Uh... What exactly do you mean by that? I don't even have GM Pro yet, it's not like I could make something online even if I wanted to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users