#1 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

THE ELEMENTAL
This is the alpha build of The Elemental, a platform active-strategy game. This preview of the game features the both the beginning game engine and previews of the environment engines. All assets and features these demos are subject to future change / modification.

NEWS
UPDATE: Earth Element
I've been quiet for a long time! I've been working on the Earth element for while... too long, really. It has been the most difficult part to code so far because of it's complex nature. Here is what's in this update

* Earth Element (Illusion shatters not in place)
* Updated HUD mouse icon
* Fixed Fire Wall skill icon
* Modified Fire skills and stats
* Enemies now take damage when they fall

And here is what I will be working on for the next update:

* Air Element
* Void Bearer (Supporting - healing - ranged)
* Void Popper (Suicide bomber)
* HUD update on primary skill (try to make the interface more user friendly)
* And who knows what else!

Too many skills?
I've gotten some great feedback so far - you've given me things to work on, which is good! However, one consistent issue that is brought up by multiple people is whether or not 5 skills for each element is too much.

I think for now I will avoid cutting down on the number of skills per element. I want to first see if these skills will work or not and, if people find it is too confusing, I will slash the number of skills to a more reasonable number.

Here are a few ideas I had to maybe help with the learning curve that would be involved in learning 25+ different skills across elements:

* Have the name of the element on each skill icon. This way when it says "Meteor Shower" you can guess, even without playing the game, how that will work.

* When you right click on a skill icon, it gives a description of the skill. (I will add an option to disable this in the options menu in case you don't want it getting in the way.)

* When you are in casting mode for a skill, it gives a small descriptions of what that skill will do in one of the corners of the HUD. (It would also be possible to deactivate this in options.)

* Add a specific, in-depth tutorial section for each element, describing each skill and its uses in detail.

As another point, you aren't switching between these skill sets all too frequently. You could even absorb the one set you like and try to barrel through the whole game this way. However, that might become difficult because some enemies will be easier for one element to handle just by design. So, if a player does feel bogged down with the sheer number of skills and tactics, they can easily just stick to one style of play that they like. It is just in the interest of the player to learn all of the elements so that you can absorb and use them based on the challenge presented.

If you wish for a preview of its skills, read the spoiler below:

Spoiler

DOWNLOAD NEW UPDATE
MEDIAFIRE

NOTES ABOUT THIS VERSION
KNOWN GLITCHES: Fire Wall might trap enemies inside it and kill them VERY quickly.

FRAME RATE: Right now, the enemies do so much collision line checking that, when there are many of them, the frame rate may drop. (The frame rate is now optimized at 50 instead of 100.) I will attempt to streamline their programming to make it faster.

GRAPHICS: All graphics here are placeholders or are incomplete!

ENEMY AI: Enemy AI is very basic and rather stupid. I'm having trouble balancing enemy intelligence and game optimization. Although I still want want to point out that these are the most basic type of enemy in the game: they are meant to be easily defeated. No single enemy will be all that versatile, but different enemies will have different behavior patterns that will present different strategic puzzles.

RESOLUTION: The game is right now optimized for a widescreen laptop, so it may look a little weird on a conventional desktop monitor. I will add screen resolution options later.

ELEMENTS BALANCE: Adding a new element brings with it a new challenge: balancing them against each other. I won't be able to figure it all out right now, but when all of the elements are made and all the enemies created, balancing will be a huge focus of mine.

Posted Image
Screenshot of current alpha version.

Posted Image
Landscape engine: Terra.

Posted Image
Landscape engine: Ventas

Posted Image
Concept Art: Acritar Architecture

MANIFESTO
Taking my cue from ArenaNet, I have decided to declare my purpose and design in this game in a Manifesto of sorts. In mast past projects I have just created them for the sake of making a game, but with The Elemental I have invested literally years in the slow design process. Here is my manifesto:

The goal of this project is not just to make a good video game, but to make a work of art in the combination of Music, Story Telling, and Artwork. I want to tell a compelling story in a world that is rich in history and culture. I want to create an environment that draws the player in and compels them to explore for the sake of discovering a beautiful world. I want to create a soundscape in my music and sound design that draws out the "spirit" of the world and the story. The medium I have chosen to do this in is through a video game, and so I also intend to support all of these goals with fun, compelling gameplay that makes the player think without punishing them.

This game has gone through many iterations that I have posted from time to time here on the forum for the past five years. I have been developing this game in my spare time for so long, and I am very excited to finally have a complete, functioning engine that finally lives up to my original vision for this game.

THE GAME
I’ve had a very hard time describing what this game is! It is a platform game, but it’s unlike anything I’ve ever played before. The gameplay is centered around absorbing elements from your surroundings and using them in combat. Each element has a unique style of gameplay determined by the skills and abilities they all possess.
These skills are used in a very active, strategic way: Place a wall of fire on the ground to hold your enemies back, reverse their gravity, teleport your enemy into a pit of nearby lava – the possibilities are endless.
The elements and their styles are listed below:

• FIRE – This fulfills the role of the classic RPG mage, creating meteor showers, throwing fireballs, and knocking enemies away with large explosions. Fire element relies on using enchantments to augment its skills to keep enemies back and pummel them in groups.
  • EARTH – An element of manipulation and illusions, Earth gives you the power to remove the gravity from your enemies, throw them any which way you like, or twist their perception of reality with illusions.
  • WATER – This element is a dark, mysterious power. With Water element you can become a mist, allowing you to either be invisible to your enemies or dissipate and reform anywhere. You also have the ability to set traps for your enemies.
  • AIR – Keeping your distance and positioning are key with Air element. Place fields of energy in the air that affect your attacks that pass through them and can be destroyed by you for different effects. Strategic placement of these fields and using Air’s flying ability to position yourself around them are key: the further you are from your enemy and the effects put on your attacks increase your damage.
  • ENERGY – A composite element formed from all four other elements, Energy give you the power over elemental Spirits, making it the Summoner element. Summon three different spiritual beings and command them on the battlefield, stealing health from your foes to benefit you or your summons.

Each of these elements have five skills: one primary skill that, 3 secondary skills, and one healing skill. The primary skill has three different versions of it that you can use. Every element also has a unique attack skill and a special ability. Since in this demo only fire is available, here is the skill list for Fire (The ability for Fire is still being designed… it’s the one ability that has yet to be determined):

PRIMARY SKILL: Enchantments (While the enchantment lasts, your attacks have different effects on impact.)
- Enchantment of Flames (Your skills catch enemies on fire.)
- Enchantment of Power (Your skills give you back some energy.)
- Enchantment of Healing (Your skills heal you a small amount.)
Skill 1: Fire Wall (Cast a fire wall on the ground. Enemies cannot pass this wall and are knocked back if they touch it.)
Skill 2: Burst (Blast a ring of fire around yourself. This attacks does minimal damage, but knocks back all nearby enemies.)
Skill 3: Meteor Shower (Create a meteor shower that lasts for 10 seconds. The meteors explode when the impact the ground.)
Healing Skill: Flaming Invigoration (Heal yourself a small amount and create a small AoE burst around yourself that does very minimal damage.)

Attack: Fireball (Normal: A small bolt of fire that does minimal damage to a single target. Charged: a more powerful attack that explodes for AoE damage.)

Ability: In Progress

CONTROLS
Walk: A and D
Jump: W
Dash: A+A or D+D (Costs 5 energy)
Double-Jump: W+W (Costs 5 energy)
Attack: Space
Skills: 1,2,3,4, and 5
Left Click: Cast, examine, read, interact, talk
Right Click: Cancel casting

TERRAIN
The graphics in the Alpha are obviously placeholders. A few skills have effects, but they are going to change. The terrain is going to be a painted style done in Photoshop. Here is a topic I started a while back featuring the terrain engines I've made. These are also undergoing big changes... but it gives you the basic idea of how it will look in the end.

TOPIC

Edited by IKSB, 22 May 2012 - 05:04 PM.

Posted Image

#2 speedchuck

speedchuck

Because why not?

• GMC Member
  • 545 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

I'll have to keep up with this... It's an interesting combat system and I look forwards to seeing other elements. Any critique would be overwhelmingly obvious, such as better AI, actually putting backgrounds in, etc. I'll keep up with this.

SghHBkv.pngimage.png

#3 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:01 AM

Well, I wouldn't even mind just comments on things such as controls, how intuitive the combat system was... etc. As for enemy AI, I'm going to make a modification to the original post about that now, just to clear things up.
Posted Image

#4 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hmm, I'm having problems downloading the engine. Mediafire normally works just fine for me, so I guess their servers are down or something.

Anyway, the concept looks good.

#5 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Currently working on the Earth element. Right now I am in the middle of college finals, but I will have the element completed sometime next week.

I could use more feedback on the gameplay engine as it is right now. The reason I posted this so early in development is that I want to know if the basic concept of the game is even any good before I create an entire game around a bad idea.
Posted Image

#6 sonosublime

sonosublime

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

The graphics you have in mind look amazing. How did you do that?
Even so, the placeholder graphics are pretty decent in themselves.
Posted Image

#7 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

The graphics you have in mind look amazing. How did you do that?
Even so, the placeholder graphics are pretty decent in themselves.

The graphics are all hand drawn with a Bamboo Pen and Touch tablet into Photoshop. I then just piece the ground together with tiles. Objects such as trees and grass that need to sway are made as objects while all other stationary graphics are added in as tiles as well. Instead of locking myself into a grid of 32x32 or anything like that I just leave it at 1x1 so I can create a much more natural, organic feel to the terrain rather than having terrain blocks, which was something that bothered me in the first version created years ago.

....buuuuuut, what did you think of the game play engine? I've had plenty of great feedback on the terrain, but it's the actual game play engine that needs some love right now.
Posted Image

#8 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Okay, I got it to work today. I have to say, it's very nice :thumbsup:

One time when I dashed though, the character runned backwards, but I couldn't reproduce this bug. Also, when placing the meteor skill, I think it would look better to make it work like the wall skill (Preventing the effect from going through the floor) Another thing I noticed, was that the controls didn't feel tight enough at times, and it didn't always feel smooth enough (Dashing and double jumping for example).

Sorry for the short, and maybe a bit confusing, reply. I'm a bit sick right now so... :sick:

Edited by NicroGames, 03 May 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#9 Nocturne

Nocturne

Nocturne Games

• Administrators
  • 25708 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

Okay! Yay! A first peak at the engine! Been looking forward to this... I was worried that maybe the game itself would not live up to the expectations that the graphics have set, but it seems I may just have been wrong! Now for a bit of a breakdown...

I love the idea of case sensitive HUD elements that only come and go as you need them, however I question your judgement about some of them. First and foremost is the way you use the mouse! I HATED not being able to shoot with left click! Why not make spacebar the context sensitive button and leave the mouse for what everyone will be used to which is aiming and shooting? Afterall, you use it to place elemental effects, so why not? As it is just now feels counter intuitive and awkward...

My next HUD crit is the enchantments... are they going to be the same for all elements? IE: The same three avalable all the time? If so, then give them their own unique HUD buttons and hotkeys, as it´ll make using them easier. However, if they change based on the element, then make their graphic icons appear next to the element icons at the bottom. There is nothing worse than having you eyes jumping all over the screen to see different HUD elements, which is why most games of this type group things together in the same place.

Now, gamplay! What can I say? Love the concept, loved the controls (personally, I found them fluid and responsive) and think that it shows great potential.I do think, however, that dismissing platform elements (as you say in the tutorial that there will be a few only) is a mistake and that you could add in so much in the way of content (puzzles, traps, secrets, alternative routes...) into the game with a more platform orientated approach. I would also worry about the sheer number of different elements and attacks that you say will be possible. This could be a great boon to the player or a horrible disaster!!! Balancing is difficult with any number of weapons/attacks, but the more you have the harder it gets, and there is also the possibility that the player will end up only ever using one or two anyway...

So that's my crit on what you have shown so-far! PLEASE keep working on this and don't be put off if few people comment on it here as the GMC is not really the best place in the world for feedback!

Good luck and I'm really looking forward to the next update!

U1FVsm3.png

40799.png

#10 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

@Nicrogames

That running backwards bit is not a glitch, but just a current lack of development. When the player enters combat, they automatically face the mouse at all times. So, when you have the mouse to the right of the character and you dash left, then the player will run backwards. This will eventually be replaced with some sort of dash-quick jump sort of move.

With the Meteor Shower the reason it goes through the ground is to allow you to place the meteor shower anywhere, no matter if there is a platform above you. When you place the meteor shower, the meteors can only hit ground BELOW where the circle is placed. However I do see your point on how that could be confusing...

What would you think if I made it like fire wall and had it create the meteors a set height above the point of placement, and have that distance adjust depending on the room above the ground? Since you're the one who found it troublesome, I would be very interested to see what you think of that. I'll program it in and test it out in the mean time...

And as for your concerns regarding movement, I am constantly in the process of tweaking the controls. I will be working to make them as smooth as possible.

@Nocturne

...I see your point on the mouse click issue. I guess I just grew used to it as it is, which is the fatal part of working on a game solo. The thing is that this attack will change depending on the element, and Earth and Water element use melee attacks, which the space bar is much more suited for... I think I might make it so that both the left click and space control the attacks, giving the player options.

What I meant by not heavily focusing on platform elements is that it won't be focusing on that like, for example, Super Mario Bros. In that game the combat and platforming are almost the same thing. Think of it more like platforming in Metroid games, where the platforming isn't the focus of the game design, but just the terrain on which to do combat. Though, since you seem all for it (an I'm sure you're not alone) I'll probably throw in some more platform elements / sections in the game. The reason that they won't be featured heavily is that complex platform terrain would not fit well with the combat system, so I would have to keep them separated for the most part, unless the area is dominated by flying enemies.

I would also worry about the sheer number of different elements and attacks that you say will be possible.

This has been the biggest concern on my mind in the design process. Literally the number one problem. In the first version there was only one attack per element. It got so bloated at one point to have around 20+ skills for each element on a custom made skill bar...

I'm trying to counter this by keep the skills very straight forward, visual, and easy to understand, but still very flexible and unique.

EDIT: I'm back!

So, when designing an element, I try to keep everything pretty simple, while providing many uses for a single skill, if the player thinks about it enough. So this is why every element has a primary skill with three branches to it: so that the player knows how to use that one skill, but has three different versions so they can use a different strategy for different situations just by understanding one mechanic.

But you're right... this is a very touchy point of the game.

So that brings up the question: how quickly did you pick up on the fire element? Because, if I introduce each element one at a time and give the player enough time to understand them all and an explanation of how they all work, would that be enough?

As for the HUD: no, not every element has enchantments. Enchantments are the primary skill of the Fire element. Every skill has a unique primary skill that ties in with their ability (usually).

FIRE - Enchantments (have an effect on your skills for a period of time) Absorb Enchantment (ability under construction: end your enchantment early - the earlier it is detonated, the more effective it is)

WATER - Traps (when enemies touch a trap, it is activated for various effects) Teleport (allows you to set a trap and then escape quickly)

EARTH - Illusions (create illusions that affect enemy behavior) Shatter Illusion (destroys your illusion and damages and dazes nearby enemies)

AIR - Fields (set up AoE fields in the air that have various effects on your ranged attacks that pass through them) Fly (helps you position yourself around the fields to be able to shoot through them to your target)

ENERGY - Summon (summon one of three different spiritual beings, each with their own uses) Command (your summon has a set amount of energy, and the Command ability tells it to use a special attack at the cost of some of its energy)

The enchantment HUD as it is right now was something I threw together rather quickly. Once I have more elements in, I will try to come up with a clear way to represent all of their unique primary skills and abilities. I will change this, especially since you and another person I showed in real life said that the Enchantment indicator annoyed them. That's a pretty good sign it needs to go...

I hope this clarified things a bit.

Edited by IKSB, 04 May 2012 - 12:45 AM.

Posted Image

#11 ZeplashStudios

ZeplashStudios

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

All i Have to say is WOW, sorry i can't give you a full review, i will at some other stage, I do however have a suggestion that i believe will make this game "orgasmic" what if. . . you made the environment interactive? let's say you can shoot boulders on a ledge that fall onto the enemy or you can cause a forest fire. maybe freeze the rain into ice shards. I do however find the animation of the character's movement to be completely different than that of the enemy? is there a reason for this?

but non the less, if you finish this, I would pay for it!!! But pleeese tell me you're not gonna sell it hehe.

-ZeplashStudios

#12 IsThisIt

IsThisIt

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

I played it, and I absolutely loved it! Its been forever since a gamemaker game has even made me want to download a game, much less it turns out to be fun. Anyways, off to crit.

The gameplay-

Movement and the game in general were very fluid and everything moved at a good pace. I do think that even if platforming is not a main objective here, a few things like wall jumping and sliding down the wall(new super mario bros. style) almost felt like they should be there. I do feel that your hands get a little claustrophobic with around the a/d button set-up, and the all the skills placed around them, but I understand that you need the mouse to aim your normal attack...so maybe its for the best?

Attacks were able to be placed well, as all the small little things like the meteor shower area turning red if it wasn't in the right zone, really added a lot to it. And even for being placeholders, I felt the size of the attacks fit pretty well compared to their neccesary power to use them. Though I think meteor shower could hit a tad faster, given that it takes a bit to set it up in the right spot.

I do fear that 5 skills is a bit too much though. I could remember most of them, but I think when you have all 20 or whatever, I'd get lost on which to use in which situation. I think it might behoove you to take more of the "normal/charged" attack approach you have, in that while they are different for each skill, they'll have the same effect and are performed the same way.

The HUD-

Worked GREAT, it moving out of the way was very useful. Once again I think the size of most of these placeholders are pretty good, they are noticable without taking amount much screen.

Overall-

Basically, it has tons of potential. I agree with Nocturne in that I think you could definately utilize the elements for so many platforming things. A metroid like approach like you were describing sounds more fitting though.

Also, if you need any help in the grahpical department I'd be more then willing to lend it! I don't really have any art in a style similar to this for reference, as most of my art is either 3d models or sprites. However you could just give me particular object or scene for a test or something. Its understandable if you want to keep the style very consistent and to yourself though, I'll be watching regardless.

#13 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

what if. . . you made the environment interactive? let's say you can shoot boulders on a ledge that fall onto the enemy or you can cause a forest fire. maybe freeze the rain into ice shards. I do however find the animation of the character's movement to be completely different than that of the enemy? is there a reason for this?

Actually... I hadn't yet talk about that but, since you brought it up: yes, the environment is interactive. I won't go so far as to allow you start a forest fire - that would destroy the aesthetic of the environment rather quickly - but other things such as that are possible. Since the only two elements I've really talked about are Earth and Fire, I'll use them as examples: say there is a flammable liquid on the ground (since this is a fantasy world, there will be things like this) you can catch that on fire, or boil the water that enemies are in... things like that. Or use Earth's manipulate ability to grab a boulder and throw it into an enemy. I actually hadn't thought of having the ability to simply shoot a boulder into someone like you were suggesting - this is a rather undeveloped aspect of gameplay - but I will probably add things like that into the game.

Unfortunately there is no ice ability in the game. In early builds of the game I had water and ice as two separate elements until I made the sudden, eye-opening realization: Ice IS water! So then I tried to mix the two, but it really didn't fit with the gameplay identity that I wanted to give water. Also in respect to the lore it didn't make sense either, but I won't get into that.

The animations are different, yes. The reasons are (a) the player animation is older and outdated and (b) the player runs off of a skeleton engine. He is made of five different joints: right arm, left arm, body, head, and legs (they are both together for technical reasons). The running animation for the legs will be different, but the player character will be, in general, much smooth than most other creatures. I've considered using this on all objects, but the problem is that the skeleton engine is hard to control and it will slow down the game if I have too many skeletons at one time. Larger enemies will be animated using skeletons, however, to provide smoothness to them. On smaller enemies it's not as noticeable, but if I have a large enemy moving with choppy animation it will really stand out.

I do feel that your hands get a little claustrophobic...

I really can't think of a more efficient way to set it up. Honestly, it's not that claustrophobic for me because I've been play Guild Wars for years, and soon Guild Wars 2 (which inspired many aspects of this game) and those games use the same control set up.

Once you get used to it it's not nearly as problematic... but I don't want to use that as an excuse either. We'll see what I can do about it.

Though I think meteor shower could hit a tad faster, given that it takes a bit to set it up in the right spot.

I'm assuming you mean the meteor shower strike frequency? Or maybe how fast the meteors fall...? I don't really want to increase the frequency because if you have it hit too often then enemies don't have a chance to escape, which would make it over powered. Maybe you could clarify on that point.

I do fear that 5 skills is a bit too much though.

Yes, I do too! :sweat:

I made an edit to the first post about this. Maybe that will help clarify things. However, I will say that, if people do feel it is too complicated, I will simplify. But I also want to say that it is not necessary to learn all five elements to play the game: it is possible, although more difficult, to play the entire game with one element.

Also, if you need any help in the grahpical department I'd be more then willing to lend it!

Well... how good are you at animation? :tongue:

But seriously, it is my weakest point. I can create beautiful scenery (I am limited by how fast the computer can run it...) and I can sprite my characters, but I have the devil of a time animating them! I have found a way to do it, but I'm not too thrilled with the end product. It works, but it only just works, it doesn't impress.

Overall I just want to say a big thank you to everyone for the good, constructive feedback! I'm glad everyone is actually having fun with it as well. I was really worried that with the game being so different from most games that it might not appeal to people.
Posted Image

#14 IsThisIt

IsThisIt

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

I really can't think of a more efficient way to set it up. Honestly, it's not that claustrophobic for me because I've been play Guild Wars for years, and soon Guild Wars 2 (which inspired many aspects of this game) and those games use the same control set up.

Once you get used to it it's not nearly as problematic... but I don't want to use that as an excuse either. We'll see what I can do about it.

I suppose the more I think about it, one of my problems I never really fixed was I always have to look at the keyboard to hit the numbers when typing. So maybe its a more personal thing.

Only other thing I could think of would be right clicking with the mouse, which then opens the selection for your skills. That way skills wouldn't have to take up any part of the screen even in battle.

I'm assuming you mean the meteor shower strike frequency? Or maybe how fast the meteors fall...? I don't really want to increase the frequency because if you have it hit too often then enemies don't have a chance to escape, which would make it over powered. Maybe you could clarify on that point.

Well, actually, I did some more playing around with it, and I think the speed is fine. However I did notice, and this might just be something you haven't coded yet, but you can just spam "4" to set up the target zone multiple times and set off seperate showers at the same time. It sends your action meter(or whatever its called) into negative numbers too.

Well... how good are you at animation? :tongue:

Depends on how you want to do it. If many of the animations can be done via frames in gimp, then obviously it should go quick. If it has to be in 3d, thats fine, I just don't have much human rigging experience, which I figure would be used quite a bit in here.(nothing I wouldn't be willing to learn though, with human rigs being the most popular out there, there are plenty of tutorials)

Edited by IsThisIt, 04 May 2012 - 02:26 AM.

#15 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

Well, actually, I did some more playing around with it, and I think the speed is fine. However I did notice, and this might just be something you haven't coded yet, but you can just spam "4" to set up the target zone multiple times and set off seperate showers at the same time. It sends your action meter(or whatever its called) into negative numbers too.

....well, shoot. Yeah, I know exactly why it's doing that... and I will fix it.

As for animation, if you look at my avatar that is the style for the game characters. The backgrounds are going to have a hand painted look to them while all in game characters are going to have that pixeled, cartoon look to them. I got the idea for this contrast from the Naruto games:

Posted Image

Obviously not exactly that, but I got the idea from it. It will also compliment the gameplay because it involves a knowledge of positioning and being able to very clearly see your characters in contrast with backgrounds is rather important. Long story short: it would be a gimp thing, not 3d models.
Posted Image

#16 NicroGames

NicroGames

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

The meteor shower placement is probably fine as it is.

Another think I just thought about, is that I think it would be pretty cool to have different kinds of platformer "things", in the different zones. Like, wind in the wind area that will blow you somewhere, og mushrooms that you can jump on in another area. You get the idea.

Edited by NicroGames, 05 May 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#17 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

I really loved what you have so far. The controls took a bit of used to at first but I found them very well laid out once I got comfortable with them. I think the meteor storms placement was fine but I think it would be beneficial if the meteors would fall faster and within a tighter area. When I casted meteor shower I felt like it should have been a tight, but high powered area of effect type of attack. What I got was good but I think it could be improved a bit. Tighten it's are of effect, increase the rate at which the meteors drop, and increase the size of each meteors hitbox. Don't go crazy for each of these improvements, just a slight tweak on each thing I mentioned. I think that'll be better for that particular spell but that's just me.

The terrain engine is also very amazing and I look forward to playing the finished game.

#18 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:28 AM

I really loved what you have so far. The controls took a bit of used to at first but I found them very well laid out once I got comfortable with them. I think the meteor storms placement was fine but I think it would be beneficial if the meteors would fall faster and within a tighter area. When I casted meteor shower I felt like it should have been a tight, but high powered area of effect type of attack. What I got was good but I think it could be improved a bit. Tighten it's are of effect, increase the rate at which the meteors drop, and increase the size of each meteors hitbox. Don't go crazy for each of these improvements, just a slight tweak on each thing I mentioned. I think that'll be better for that particular spell but that's just me.

The terrain engine is also very amazing and I look forward to playing the finished game.

I think that would be way too much on the meteor shower... but it gives me an idea. What if I left the area of effect how it is, but made the meteors smaller, but also made them fall very frequently. So it would still give the same amount of damage on average, but would hit much more reliably? Worth a shot?

Another think I just thought about, is that I think it would be pretty cool to have different kinds of platformer "things", in the different zones. Like, wind in the wind area that will blow you somewhere, [or] mushrooms that you can jump on in another area. You get the idea.

I've also thought about having things like this in the game, but I really want to cross that bridge when I get there. Because there are giant mushroom-like plants (see terrain engine) something like that would work naturally.

Edited by IKSB, 07 May 2012 - 03:31 AM.

Posted Image

#19 2d_games

2d_games

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1504 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

I think that would improve the meteor spell a lot. I understand that the meteors are supposed to be an AoE type spell but a few meteors usually ended up hitting a group of enemies and the rest of the meteors doing no damage since the enemies were knocked out of the AoE. Another idea is that maybe the meteor shower deals more damage with fewer meteors but the spell doesn't last as long. Damage would still be the same.

Just another idea to consider. Good luck with all the tweaks. :)

#20 IKSB

IKSB

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 564 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

I've been quiet for a long time because I've had nothing new to show for a while, but I have just finished work on the next element: Earth! This post is mostly just to bump this back to the top again: for more info on tomorrow's update, read the new addition to the News section. I am tired.... so goodnight!
Posted Image

#21 heyufool1

heyufool1

Fail

• GMC Member
  • 1651 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

A good start! There isn't a lot to do other than shoot stuff, but so far it's gameplay is smooth. I think the biggest problem with this is simply the placeholder graphics. Great gameplay won't attract as many people these days as a great presentation would. If I were you I would spend some time getting the graphics in order so you have a nice presentation, then focus on the gameplay again. There wasn't really much that I noticed that you didn't already cover in the original post. However, the meteor shower was a little anti-climatic. It would be cool if there was a screen shake when the meteor hits and then the meteor could explode into a lot of little bits. There isn't much to comment on, considering the demo appears to be early in development. Good luck!
Posted ImagePosted Image