• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 masterm

masterm

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1070 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Lets say you got an idea for a good game but your company isn't doing too well...
you know you can release an unfinished bad game with most features strapped away and lets assume the customers are going to buy it anyway.
but you can also make a good finished game with all the intended features and making the customers happier...

Which one would you do when you open gamemaker and why?
If you make a bad game it will be released earlier meaning more $$$ faster.
If you make a good game it will take maybe 1 more year before seing any money...

Which one would you choose to make?

PS:If this is the wrong forum pleas correct the destination for me.

#2 junhalestone

junhalestone

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 453 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Go for the better quality game, IMO, otherwise future releases won't be bought by your customers.

#3 NakedPaulToast

NakedPaulToast

GM Studio/Mac/Win

• GMC Member
  • 8280 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

If your company is not doing well how is it going to fund the expense of a game that is going to take a year or longer to develop?

The answer has to be release the less featured game, which in turn funds the longer term project. Less featured does not have to be "bad".

One of the standard practises on mobile device/App store games is to release with less features, but then add more features as free upgrades. Angry Birds being just one example of this strategy.

These free point releases attracts new attention, creates sales spikes, attracts new customers, improves satisfaction of existing owners, puts out the message to customers that they will receive more features with free upgrades, extends the tail length of sales.

No brainer.

#4 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Elder
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

I'd choose to make a simple game, and try make it good in the time/budget I have.

I guess if I was already working on a complex project, and was just 'running short' then yeah, I'd *have* to simplify. Not bad, I mean, simple doesn't mean bad, but cut all that feature creep, cut bugged features, make sure the gameplay isn't bugged (to the extent of broken, anyway).

#5 9_6

9_6

• GMC Member
  • 3627 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

There is no such thing as an "intentional bad, unfinished game" and neither will most features be "strapped away" (which implies they were even there to begin with), that's just how it happens to be if some exec goes "no more delays, ship it now".
This is a stupid question to ask the non-business-minded gamer masses in these forums to whom such a decision will always be a hypothetical scenario and who have no idea of the workings behind it, you realize that?

Edited by 9_6, 27 April 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#6 masterm

masterm

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1070 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

@ 9_6
I guess you are right, but i have no other places to ask these type of business questions...do you have any ideas of other website's or forums that can help me deeper in future questions like these?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users