18 replies to this topic

#1 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Howdy folks, Tetiro here again. Whilst Legena is being the main bulk of the dev team, I fancied doing a small project as well for the Android/iOS. This time I went for a new genre as I've always been doing RPGs. I went with a puzzle platformer this time.

Leon

Posted Image
[2] [3] [4] [5]

In this game, you must use wits and paint balls to help Leon progress through the levels. There are forty levels in total. As you progress through the game, you get new paints. Each with a unique ability. The first paint is the Brown Paint which allows you to paint crates into the level. Providing you have enough paint of course!

And this game has now been finished! Check out the full version Here!

Specifications
Category : Puzzle Platformer
File Size : 3.40 MB
GM Version : 8.0 (Alongside GMS to ensure porting capability)
Vista Compatible? : Unknown
Fullscreen : Yes
Screen Resolution : 240 x 160

Controls
In the future, this will be ported to android and iOS due to it's simplicity and easy porting. But as we haven't got there yet, the keyboard functions have been left in for the movement and jumping. And for using paint too.

Controls as of Demo 4
Arrow Keys : Move Left/Right
Space : Jump
Z/C : Switch Paint
X : Use Paint

You still have to use mouse buttons to select the paint and getting around the titlescreen, but I'm sure you can get around that. Eventually all controls will be touchscreen based.

Pretty simple huh?

Demos
Demo #1 : Whole of World #1 [25/04/2012]
Demo #1.1 : Whole of World #1 and 3 levels of World #2 [14/05/2012]
Demo #2 : Whole of Worlds #1, #2, #3 and #4[15/05/2012]
Demo #4 : Everything excluding Music and Credits[03/06/2012]

Misc
There are a few points to know.

• It is a small project. So don't expect it to be as long as Legena
  • There are no graphic rules for this project
  • It's meant to be for all ages hence it's simplistic story

Anywho I'd like feedback on the following
  • Were the first 8 levels too easy? Too hard?
  • Was the Help text that appeared in some levels actually helpful?
  • Any bugs? Glitches? Crashes?
  • Anything else? General thoughts?

Edited by King Tetiro, 14 December 2012 - 05:20 PM.

#2 Desert Dog

Desert Dog

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 6409 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Ok start out:

First level is easy. Except it seems to freeze when I get to the painting? 'first masterpiece' and nothing happens.

I eventually hit the button up the top that looks like 'restart' and yea, go to next level. Confuuusing. :tongue: I guess you just haven't done a win sequence yet.

Second level, I run&jump, and get the painting without the paintbrush? Guess I don't need it.

Third level, I try 'Z' this time, after getting the paintbrush, and nothing happens. Hmm..

4th level is easy enough. At first I pushedthe crate down, got the paintbrush. Then couldn't get to the canvas/painting! So I had to restart, and just jumped to the painting using the block I pushed down before (without getting the paintbrush)

5th, o.k. I've met mondi, who taught me how to paint blocks (or summin) But uh, I can't figure out how to paint.. you said Z! :tongue: Nothing is working!

Scratch that, just remembered this is for a touch-screen, and tried the mouse on the thing up the top.

O.k. the next couple of levels goes smoothly. I don't really know what I have to click the top paint thing first, then press Z.

Got a bug. Why on earth did you disable f9 screenshot for? :tongue:

Anyway, basically was I got a block, and put another block ontop of it at an angle (like stairs) then I tried to push the one beneath it.

The one ontop didn't move with the one beneath, and fell down on the player. Stuck. (killed karoshi style!)

Looks like that level was the last. O.k. so I liked the game. The platforming was good, the graphics are nice, and I think the concept could turn into something really neat. Yellow paint for bouncy goo? Red paint to get enemies? Black paint for a teleport? Some really neat stuff you can do!

There are lots of weird design stuff which just confuses me. I can kinda see where once you've added in a UI for android, things will start making sense, but for a demo for the PC, it's.. confusing. :tongue:

#3 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:01 AM

First level is easy. Except it seems to freeze when I get to the painting? 'first masterpiece' and nothing happens.

I eventually hit the button up the top that looks like 'restart' and yea, go to next level. Confuuusing. :tongue: I guess you just haven't done a win sequence yet.

I should've probably said to click the screen lol :tongue:

Second level, I run&jump, and get the painting without the paintbrush? Guess I don't need it.

Third level, I try 'Z' this time, after getting the paintbrush, and nothing happens. Hmm..

The paintbrushes are collectables. I should probably make note of that as well.

4th level is easy enough. At first I pushedthe crate down, got the paintbrush. Then couldn't get to the canvas/painting! So I had to restart, and just jumped to the painting using the block I pushed down before (without getting the paintbrush)

There is a solution to that puzzle. Try coming back later.

5th, o.k. I've met mondi, who taught me how to paint blocks (or summin) But uh, I can't figure out how to paint.. you said Z! :tongue: Nothing is working!

Scratch that, just remembered this is for a touch-screen, and tried the mouse on the thing up the top.

I'll try to make the instructions easier.

O.k. the next couple of levels goes smoothly. I don't really know what I have to click the top paint thing first, then press Z.

Got a bug. Why on earth did you disable f9 screenshot for? :tongue:

Hahaha oops :tongue:

Anyway, basically was I got a block, and put another block ontop of it at an angle (like stairs) then I tried to push the one beneath it.

The one ontop didn't move with the one beneath, and fell down on the player. Stuck. (killed karoshi style!)

That's one of the reasons why I implemented a restart button. That way if the player is stuck they can restart the level. Will eventually implement a dying animation.

Looks like that level was the last. O.k. so I liked the game. The platforming was good, the graphics are nice, and I think the concept could turn into something really neat. Yellow paint for bouncy goo? Red paint to get enemies? Black paint for a teleport? Some really neat stuff you can do!

Good to hear the idea is liked. I will be working hard to make the different paints interesting to use. The next paint will allow you to change part of the landscape.

There are lots of weird design stuff which just confuses me. I can kinda see where once you've added in a UI for android, things will start making sense, but for a demo for the PC, it's.. confusing. :tongue:

Haha yeh I can see why it would be confusing. I will try to make it easier to understand lol.

#4 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

Progress is still underway with this. I'm personally in the middle of university hand-in dates so been pre-occupied. Plus I turned 21 so been addicted to Pokemon Heartgold

#5 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

Hey, I'd really like to give this a go, but when I tried downloading the game, it said the file was malicious. Then my computer crashed.
Mind putting it into a zip file? I've heard that it prevents that from happening.

#6 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'll do better, I've done a .zip and added 3 new levels and with it, a new paint power!

Demo #1.1 : Whole of World #1 and 3 levels of World #2 [14/05/2012]

Yes, I'm back to working on Leon. Legena is still on hold because I still have some university work left to do.

Changes
  • 3 New Levels
  • A new Paint Power
  • More Tutorial Help
  • "Another Masterpiece" now moves to the next level automatically. Will be producing a graphic effect. Maybe confetti?

I will be adding working on Leon over the week. Mainly graphic effects

EDIT: Made a programming blunder. Doesn't break the game, you just can't play the three new levels...
EDIT 2: Produced an update to solve the problem. Added another level as well. Hopefully the difficulty is starting to increase.

Edited by King Tetiro, 14 May 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#7 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

Woo! New version! I'll try this later and edit.
This kinda reminds me of one of my games, so I'm really excited to try this out. :)
Edit: Before you guys start start wondering why I haven't edited yet, Tetiro PM'd me about the game and is getting me to test some stuff, so all my feedback is there. Sorry if you were waiting to read this or something.

Edited by TheUltimate, 19 May 2012 - 12:42 AM.

#8 orange08

orange08

Art Game Movement

• GMC Member
  • 2246 posts
  • Version:GM:HTML5

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Playing it. On the first level when I reached the painting I was kinda wondering If I should have picked up that thing that looked like a paintbrush first... hmm.. text on one of these levels is drawn behind a crate, that's not right...
Now I can make crates? It took me a while to figure out what button to press to make crates. I got stuck on the next level after that. No buttons would make a 2nd crate to help me on that jump...

#9 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Playing it. On the first level when I reached the painting I was kinda wondering If I should have picked up that thing that looked like a paintbrush first... hmm.. text on one of these levels is drawn behind a crate, that's not right...
Now I can make crates? It took me a while to figure out what button to press to make crates. I got stuck on the next level after that. No buttons would make a 2nd crate to help me on that jump...

Ah yes, the text behind the crate was something I was contemplating. I was unsure whether to do the following.

-Have the text draw above everything?

or

-Have the text draw above everything minus the player?

*Looks at level 6 for the 2nd crate thing*

If you have the power to build crates, on the level after that power, try building a Crate Staircase. (If you like, I can produce a screenshot showing what I mean)

News update folks. TheUltimate is being a help and testing all 40 levels. Yup that means the 40 levels will eventually be finalised. That means all that will be left is the following

• Sound and Music
  • Logo
  • Credits
  • Porting to Android/iOS (Android will come first)

So until TheUltimate is done with the level testing, this project is on hold. Why? Because there's really nothing I can work on right now. My sound composer is working the sounds. I am also talking to a great music composer so I can't work on the music implementation. I haven't hand drawn the logo so I can't sprite it yet. And the Credits can't be done because I don't know about the music composer. As for Android/iOS. Do I really need to say?

Though this putting it on hold is a great thing! It means the project is very near completion

Edited by King Tetiro, 20 May 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#10 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Been getting feedback from Ultimate and once again, he provides good praise and crits on it. So I'll be doing the following before progressing

• Make levels more challenging
  • Control Layout for Phones and Laptops
  • More graphical effects!

So I will be working on this after I've sorted my room out at home (Moved back home after finishing university)

Overall, Ultimate enjoyed the 40 levels. I will be making them more difficult.

EDIT: I am also seeking Android testers to ensure the game runs on various phones. So if there are any Android users, please provide a helping hand!

Edited by King Tetiro, 26 May 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#11 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Howdy folks, I've been doing a bit of Legena for the past few days. I intend to do Legena in the mornings and afternoons whilst doing Leon during my evenings. Whenever I'm not job seeking of course (I wonder if Yoyogames are hiring lol)

Anyway, there's not much left to do

• Make the levels more challenging - Made them as hard as possible [30/05/2012]
  • Sounds
  • Music
  • Credits
  • Logo
  • Controls (PC/Android)
  • Final Testing (PC/Android)

Tomorrow I'll be doing the harder levels and logo. Then hopefully the day after controls and credits.

Stay tuned folks!

Edited by King Tetiro, 31 May 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#12 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

I don't like to make 4 posts in a row but today I'm making an exception. Because we're releasing the final demo of Leon before the finalising of the game. So what's in this demo? Everything excluding music and credits. By doing this, we can gather feedback to finish the game with the highest quality possible. We also implemented functions so the controls aren't so scattered.

Demo #4 : Everything excluding Music and Credits[03/06/2012]

I also noticed I didn't really produce many screenshots. So I've fixed that as well. Anyway, begin feedback! Because after the feedback, we begin finalising and porting the game to Android! And eventually iOS.

#13 TheUltimate

TheUltimate

Life is Awesome

• GMC Member
  • 1084 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

Here's your encouragement bump. :)

#14 Mocgames998

Mocgames998

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

I can make music I guess... Definitely better than my spriting skills! Although my style is (usually) hard rock/techno.
Edit: I've composed a song for the game...
(Should it be MP3, (concerned with licensing,) wav, or OGG?)

Edited by Mocgames998, 30 June 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#15 Koaske

Koaske

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

The first impression when I read the words "Paint Puzzler" was that you'd actually paint something in the game with a mouse, but it turned out to be quite different from what I expected. This isn't a bad thing, but something I wanted to point out nevertheless. With the current gameplay mechanics, you wouldn't have necessarily had to choose the paint theme, the buckets of paint and brushes could've been some other objects.

In any case, I'll get to the game itself... The difficulty of the levels seems pretty consistent and builds up well, the sound effects are nice and graphics are okay.

Here are a few pointers that I thought of:
*Why do you hear "the victory" sound effect when you get crushed by a crate? It's a bit discouraging, wouldn't you say? =D
*Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you're told in the game that you can switch the paint with Z/C when you get your first paint. I wouldn't have known this without reading the control info here.
*Also, why bother making the player press Z/C when you only have one paint to choose from? When you get paint, it should probably be automatically selected. Since you can't put the paint away after you've chosen it anyway, I don't see why the player would not want to have the newly acquired paint chosen.

Hope this helps!

#16 MikadoRyugamine

MikadoRyugamine

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

It feels a bit empty as of now, I think some music would help with that though. I just felt like I was in some sort of weird world devoid of life ... xD

The gameplay is pretty smooth though and I have yet to see all of the levels and different abilities so I can't really make a full review or anything yet. One other thing I'd like to mention is that the Monli person who gives you your first ability reminded me of when you get your first ability in Rayman hahah. Not sure if that was intentional or not but either way, I don't really mind. It really took me back though. :P

Good luck with your various projects. :)

#17 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

It feels a bit empty as of now, I think some music would help with that though. I just felt like I was in some sort of weird world devoid of life ... xD

The gameplay is pretty smooth though and I have yet to see all of the levels and different abilities so I can't really make a full review or anything yet. One other thing I'd like to mention is that the Monli person who gives you your first ability reminded me of when you get your first ability in Rayman hahah. Not sure if that was intentional or not but either way, I don't really mind. It really took me back though. :P

Good luck with your various projects. :)

Haha now that you mention it, she does kinda remind me of that fairy in rayman lmao. Nah she's actually a reference to Leonardo Da Vinci's masterpiece, the Mona Lisa (Mon-Li). A nice head nod.

And good news, the music has been composed! Thanks to Gamecrazy721, we have puzzle and monli's music! Which means once I have both in .ogg and stored a back-up of the game for porting to Android, we'll have the final product for Windows!

So expect the final version within 2 months (Maybe even 1 month!) I will be tweaking the game to make it as awesome as I can!

We're on the home stretch guys! Rejoice!

#18 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hey guys. It's been over two months. So I thought I'd give an update.

Due to the delay of the .ogg support for GM Studio, the Android and iOS versions will be delayed. As a result, I'm going to wrap up the PC version of the game over the next couple of weeks and release it.

I'm also considering producing another Leon game in the future. Perhaps next november I'll start working on it? Who knows! Right now I'm working on GM Conflict, which Leon will be appearing in.

So expect a final PC version of Leon very soon! As well as some improved graphics, reduced file size, a booklet to help and more!

Edited by King Tetiro, 09 December 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#19 King Tetiro

King Tetiro

King of Orenna

• GMC Member
  • 2463 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Ladies and gents! The PC Version has now been finished!

Check out the full version Here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users