6 replies to this topic

#1 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

So I was browsing Steam last night and saw some games I already owned on iOS and started thinking about "Universal Apps".

Does anyone know of any games where if you buy them on say iOS you also get it unlocked on Android?

Seeing as most mobile devices are connected to the Internet, it wouldn't be that hard to get a user to make an account and then entitle that account to a single copy of the game with a IAP. That way when they log in on another device they would still have a full version.

So would you make a universal app? And if not, why?

Would a game being universal encourage you to buy it?

#2 fenyxofshadows

fenyxofshadows

coobie

• GMC Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:30 AM

It would add convenience, but it is not necessary. It is the game that I look for, not the number of systems it supports.

#3 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 891 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 AM

I am a bit old-fashioned when it comes to games.

I prefer to have the physical/tangible product (CD/DVD/etc) in my hands.
I want the box, I want the printed manual. I enjoy looking at the art in the printed instructions.

Suffice to say, I have never visited Steam nor other similar services.

#4 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

I want the box, I want the printed manual. I enjoy looking at the art in the printed instructions.

So if we are talking about a physical product, like a BluRay movie or something, would you prefer a BluRay that also includes the DVD and a digital version of the film or one that just has the BluRay disc? and would you pay more for the film being universal?

#5 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 891 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

So if we are talking about a physical product, like a BluRay movie or something, would you prefer a BluRay that also includes the DVD and a digital version of the film or one that just has the BluRay disc? and would you pay more for the film being universal?

I think it's cool how movie companies nowadays (like Disney) usually give you the digital version along with the DVD or BlueRay. So it's definitely more convenient, at least when it comes to movies and you're perhaps travelling and just have your media-player.

I think DVDs will sooner-or-later be phased out, and BlueRay will eventually be surpassed by whatever is next. But for right now, if I have to choose between either a DVD/BlueRay OR a digital download of a movie (or game for that matter) then I definitely rather go for the physical product.

Aside from that, I'm perhaps not quite sure what you mean with your question :
"would you prefer a BluRay that also includes the DVD and a digital version of the film or one that just has the BluRay disc?"

I mean I choose either the BlueRay OR the DVD version, I don't need a combo. But if it's a DVD+digital version OR a BlueRay+digital version, I'm fine with either one.

And I'm also not quite sure what you mean with this question :
"would you pay more for the film being universal?"

Do you mean something like the film wouldn't be region-specific?
Or that it would be made available on many platforms, f.ex. DVD, BlueRay, digital version, NetFlix, etc, etc?

And how much were you thinking that a buyer would have to "pay more"?
If I buy a movie and it's over $20 then I think twice before I buy it (I'm not thinking of series here, as they can cost more). In any case I don't buy movies as soon as they are available, I usually wait a year (or two even) as the companies often times come out with a new version, like Director's Cut, etc, etc. I'm usually ok with them being like $12-$15 ... and sometimes I dig around in the $5 DVD bins at WalMart :whistle: Sometimes I see a movie I've been after for years at a local pawn store, or even the Friends Of The Library used bookstore at the library downtown (they also sell "gently used" movies). Can't go wrong with movies that only cost 50 cents or a dollar :thumbsup:

#6 Derme

Derme

Time for a break.

• GMC Member
  • 460 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

I think it's cool how movie companies nowadays (like Disney) usually give you the digital version along with the DVD or BlueRay. So it's definitely more convenient, at least when it comes to movies and you're perhaps travelling and just have your media-player.

I think DVDs will sooner-or-later be phased out, and BlueRay will eventually be surpassed by whatever is next. But for right now, if I have to choose between either a DVD/BlueRay OR a digital download of a movie (or game for that matter) then I definitely rather go for the physical product.

"would you prefer a BluRay that also includes the DVD and a digital version of the film or one that just has the BluRay disc?"

I mean I choose either the BlueRay OR the DVD version, I don't need a combo. But if it's a DVD+digital version OR a BlueRay+digital version, I'm fine with either one.

Or that it would be made available on many platforms, f.ex. DVD, BlueRay, digital version, NetFlix, etc, etc?

If I buy a movie and it's over $20 then I think twice before I buy it (I'm not thinking of series here, as they can cost more). In any case I don't buy movies as soon as they are available, I usually wait a year (or two even) as the companies often times come out with a new version, like Director's Cut, etc, etc. I'm usually ok with them being like $12-$15 ... and sometimes I dig around in the $5 DVD bins at WalMart :whistle: Sometimes I see a movie I've been after for years at a local pawn store, or even the Friends Of The Library used bookstore at the library downtown (they also sell "gently used" movies). Can't go wrong with movies that only cost 50 cents or a dollar :thumbsup:

You pretty much got what I was getting at, I'm mainly trying to work out if products that are universal, in this case a movie that come with a Blu-Ray, DVD and Digital Copy are more appealing to people than just a movie that just includes the Blu-Ray Disc of it.

So the cost question; you want to buy a new-release movie and you have two options.

Option A) Just a Blu-Ray copy of the flim. ($15)
Option B) A Blu-Ray, DVD and Digital Copy of the film. ($20)

Would you pay an extra $5 for option B instead of option A?

And I think you answered all my other questions in your post. :)

#7 Futhark

Futhark

• GMC Member
  • 891 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:15 AM

You pretty much got what I was getting at, I'm mainly trying to work out if products that are universal, in this case a movie that come with a Blu-Ray, DVD and Digital Copy are more appealing to people than just a movie that just includes the Blu-Ray Disc of it.

So the cost question; you want to buy a new-release movie and you have two options.

Option A) Just a Blu-Ray copy of the flim. ($15)
Option B) A Blu-Ray, DVD and Digital Copy of the film. ($20)

Would you pay an extra $5 for option B instead of option A?

And I think you answered all my other questions in your post. :)

Hmmm, I have to admit I am unsure why I would or should go for option B)

In my case, I guess it's more a question of either/or. Meaning that either I go for a DVD or I go for a BlueRay. I have no real interest in having both formats of the same movie. There are people who collect the same movies for all the different formats but I'm not one of them. There are cases where one format has something extra or different on it and I end up having both a DVD and a BlueRay of the same movie but it's not like I aim to have all the different formats.

But I like option C)
DVD + Digital Copy
or
BlueRay + Digital Copy

EDIT:
Hmmm, I was re-visiting your first post and this sentence of yours got me thinking:
"Does anyone know of any games where if you buy them on say iOS you also get it unlocked on Android?"

I can't answer your question but let's assume I were to buy a software product (game, etc) for an Android device, and then I were to buy the latest iPad. Let's assume I were then going to buy the same game (but for iOS) from the same vendor/author/publisher/programmer, etc, and their site would then already have me listed as having bought the other version. If they were to automatically offer it to me at half-price (or whatever), I believe I would be more inclined to go back to such a vendor, if they offer multiple-formats of the same product.

But that route can not be applied to your option B) really ... :biggrin:

Edited by Futhark, 01 May 2012 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users