6 replies to this topic

#1 GenoDoucette

GenoDoucette

BrokenIMG

• GMC Member
  • 974 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

What do you like about Pokemon? Dislikes?

I like that it has lots of Pokemon. C:

#2 jojackso1

jojackso1

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 479 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

I agree lol, lots of pokemon and places to go! Collecting is fun

im actually starting a pokemon-like mmo, looking for a team still!
http://gmc.yoyogames...=0#entry3945720

#3 fenyxofshadows

fenyxofshadows

coobie

• GMC Member
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

I like the fact that it is a good RPG with competitive and cooperative multiplayer. Though most of the core gameplay is quite similar to pretty much every J-RPG out there, it's the systems of trading and battling others that allow the player to feel as if their decisions matter, that engages the player. The player will move forward to catch that extremely rare powerful monster to impress his friends, will seek help when he needs to defeat a boss, and will compete with his friends for glory. Game Freak knew this when making the first games, which is why it was originally split into 2 separate games Red and Green (Blue, the special edition in Japan, became Red and Blue worldwide), and used the otherwise near-useless GameBoy Link Cables.

I also like the degree of customization that is integrated into the games. People complain about the games being too easy, but if you set your own rules to follow, they become as difficult as you wish without in-game limits. You can teach many moves to many monsters, each monster has movesets that are useful both in-game and competitively, each monster can have its stats adjusted manually with the EV system, you can win competitively with a Bidoof if you know what moves and abilities you and the other monsters have.

I also like Pokemon Adventures/Special. The manga is excellent, the characters are all well-written, and it stays mostly on-target with the plot and personalities of the characters.

Sadly, the same cannot be said of the anime. The Pokemon anime, though it can be given partial credit for giving Japanese anime to the West anyway, is often childish, cliche, refuses to acknowledge its older audience, and constantly dumbs both itself and the art style down. I enjoyed the earlier seasons (though Johto was filled with filler), and I also enjoy any of the tournament episodes in any season. However, the anime often forgets what Pokemon is about, the monsters. In the first season of the anime, it could be comparable to Special with its themes. There were many dark episodes, but also many light episodes. Everything culminated well, and nothing was too one-sided. Ash's and Gary's placings in Indigo were realistic without being harsh (top 16 and top 64 respectively). However, the fact that Ash has been a trainer for years, has placed or won several tournaments, has defeated many powerful trainers (including defeating a Latios with just Pikachu in a very one-sided battle that only existed to provide a reason for the next season to exist), and the show treats him as a 10 year old... Harsh.

The spin-off games, I will say nothing about. They are spin-offs made to make some extra money or test a different game mechanic. Spin-offs are in plenty of franchises. My favorite spin-off is probably Explorers of Sky.

#4 Silver Scratch

Silver Scratch

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 166 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:15 AM

I too like the stradegy of the game. The part that ticks me off, is that they treat Ash as a stupid 10 year kid. With team rocket! Even a 7 year old kid knows that the strange dressed people are Team Rocket! Btw i love their theme song.

Edited by Silver Scratch, 25 April 2012 - 04:15 AM.

#5 mAnIk800

mAnIk800

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 161 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I Used to love pokemon as a kid, but looking back (At the anime) they have some horrible scripting Example Pidgey Fly....Omg its flying (Duh you just told it to!) and as silver scratch said with team rocket, and why are two full grown people trying to pick on a ten year old boy and steal his pet mouse??

As for the games, yea i love them and like fenyx said if you set your own rules it makes it more fun, like sometimes il go thorugh and only collect fire pokemon ect, or play gold and silver and only collect jhoto pokemon ect.

The only thing that annoys me now is, the 1st 150 where epic and now like 700 pokemon later they look the same like little blobs, just different colours and really stupid names.

But like all things the 1st season/set of pokemon were the best

#6 Yal

Yal

Gun Princess

• Global Moderators
  • 7353 posts
  • Version:GM8.1

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

I'm gonna disagree a bit... I hate the games due to very slow gameplay (which gets longer and longer for every new game! Seriously, I wanna strangle the guy who added in the fade-out transition effects in Ruby/Emerald because they make Rare Candy levelling take less time than grinding!) and the overly big emphasis on elemental rock-paper-scissors with status aliments being nearly useless in single-player combat. Also in Battle Frontier battles nearly all my tanking streaks end with a Critical Hit coming at an untimely time meaning my tank is knocked out just before it can Recover... it is unspeakably annoying, especially since going back to the level you lost at features a few hours of braindead grinding of first-stage-evolution monsters with poor EVs.

Also, the art style (and style in general) of the games has decreased with each new game, going from a pretty cool post-apocalyptic-lite-version Kanto region with high-tech capsule houses and people actually referring to death to a bubblegum-like world where the entire game script likely was written in hiragana originally. The game series recovered a small bit with Pokémon Colloseum for the GC picking back up the steampunk theme... and since then it's only derailed. Not as much as the Sonic games, but still far enough to make me stop to play them and pick up real RPGs like Disgaea and Fire Emblem instead.

#7 NukeTheCat

NukeTheCat

Isaiah 11:6

• GMC Member
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Ahh! I wrote a long and tiresome summary but now it's gone after my browser crashed! T.T

This is a summary of my summary:

The anime sucks because it keeps on repeating the same thing over and over:
Spoiler

Personally the manga is 100x better, and the game is 1000x better (especially Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorer of Sky!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users